Your Level of Concern About the Coronavirus......on a scale of 1-10

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
I don't give these kind of opinions for one reason - I usually don't have one.

I am going to say though Florida will indeed stay red. I don't think there is any doubt about it.

Economy is coming back, people getting back to work, people being allowed to live.

The #'s? Read above.

No reasonable person can be unhappy with current results in this state.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Governor DeSantis down here in Florida is talking about this right now.....

As a state we have tested over 1 million people (1,050,671) , approximately 1 in 20 citizens.

To date between 94 and 99% of people tested have come back negative. (not sure why the disparity?)

With states of 5 million or more residents only Missouri has come back lower.

And we have been wide open now for a while.......

Beaches packed, lakes and rivers full of boats, restaurants, barbers..... even LegoLand has opened!!

In addition we (FLNG/DOH) have done a lot of testing in long term facilities, over 106k residents and staff in 1415 facilities.

With mobile testing, 45 minute turnaround, you can add another 3900 long term care staff and residents that have been tested.

Of these LTC facilities, 85% that have been tested have had not a single positive case. Wow, that's a shock to me!!?

And many more have had between 1 to 3 positives.

Lastly, besides just hospitals, drive-up testing and so on, the state opened 17 walk up facilities in poor neighborhoods, places people might be overlooked.......

Another 50K tested that probably wouldn't have been tested otherwise.

Note - this is right from the press conference, please don't argue with me about what is being said.

IMO the Governor has done a FANTASTIC job! I see other states locked down and my big concern here is working on the tan......

For a state with a lot of seniors and a lot of long term care facilities I am more than pleased. Of course the goal would be zero but this is hard to get upset about.

We move on.

good stuff

Florida is pretty low on thie list of tests per million though, are they ramping that up?

Last edited:

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Arizona follows up yesteday's new High in new cases with Today's new high in Deaths, about Double of their previous deaths high

I'm hoping the heat here in Chicago will help, but seeing this with Florida and Arizona now i'm losing faith in that

cheapseats

EOG Master
Arizona follows up yesteday's new High in new cases with Today's new high in Deaths, about Double of their previous deaths high

I'm hoping the heat here in Chicago will help, but seeing this with Florida and Arizona now i'm losing faith in that
At this point, if we do not know where the greater majority of cases and deaths are from, the data is becoming near meaningless.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Anyone dying yesterday probably contracted the virus 4-5-6 weeks ago, do you disagree with that?

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
of course I agree with that, i've posted that idea here many times.

I posted this way back in March

I will be watching Italy closely the next week to 2 weeks.

Experts are suggesting we will see a 5-6 week time lag between Covid Deaths and using the only interventions that we have at our disposal (social distancing and closures)

So Today in Italy if someone dies, they most likely caught the virus between Feb 16-23

less than a week incubation
1-2 weeks until hospitalization
3-4 weeks in hospital before succumbing

Looks like despite increased testing, Italy is seeing a leveling off of New Cases, with a high number reached on March 21. This is encouraging. Let's hope they are at their peak, and we see a decrease in deaths in the next week or two.

I guess the implication is that Arizona could see a new high in deaths in about 4-6 weeks, since their cases are going up and had a new high yesterday

hopefully the Virus itself is weaker or the Virus Load that people are coming into contact with is much much less, like Italy's results according to a few of their doctors

I just hate the idea of states being dealing with a peak in deaths around July 4th through August.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Peaks don't matter as long as hospitals aren't overwhelmed.

There are a lot of horrendous side effects of lockdowns that completely negate any positive impact that they would have absent an overburdened hospital system.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Everyone is so fixated on the COVID-19 numbers while completely tuning out suicides, drug/alcohol overdoses, domestic violence, child abuse, etc.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Wow I didn't realize my Birth state was doing so shitty on Testing. Pennsylvania

43th out of 50 states. in testing per million.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Las Vegas man in need of transplant didn’t have COVID-19, ‘but it killed him’

On March 23, he was supposed to travel to the USC Transplant Institute in California for a preliminary appointment to determine how suitable he would be for the procedure.

But his appointment never happened. Because of the pandemic, California hospitals were prohibited from performing elective procedures, which included Moore’s appointment. A new appointment was scheduled for May 12. — a date Moore never lived to see.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...idnt-have-covid-19-but-it-killed-him-2016496/

News reports only. We don't collect data for them like we do for a pandemic.

The numbers are unprecedented, Dr. Mike deBoisblanc said.

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

https://abc7news.com/health/suicide...y-at-home-order-bay-area-doctors-say/6201962/

Since you brought up nobody talking about the numbers I figured you’d be able to list some. But this is a good start and yes I do agree there’s always massive fallout during times of crisis.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
The real question is: How many of these things are happening because of these policies?

The lockdowns could actually be killing MORE people than going without them.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Florida is pretty low on the list of tests per million though, are they ramping that up?

We have the capability to test a lot more, we are nowhere near peak, we need bodies.

Kane can double check what I'm saying, I'm repeating what I heard from the press conference but doing it from memory.

It might be the drive-thru spots,, it might have been the new 45 minute turn-around test, might have been the places the state has opened up in poor areas......

Maybe a combo? But he clearly said we have the ability to double the # we are testing right now.

We are going to phase 2 this weekend, people down here have been going to the beach, trying to save their business, busy with their life.....

The media slant people are down here in line and getting turned away is absolute hogwash.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
I don't know about other states, are people being turned away from being tested?

That's not the case here. I drive by places where they will test you without getting out of the car...... the line is very reasonable.

We do have like 4000 long term care facilities in the state, it's a big effort going around and getting them all tested.....

As I said above I think he mentioned only about 1500 or so LTC facilities have been tested so lots of work to do but very good start on all of it IMO.

BTW I mentioned going to phase 2, that's everyone but 3 counties down south where Kane lives, Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Here in N
I don't know about other states, are people being turned away from being tested?

That's not the case here. I drive by places where they will test you without getting out of the car...... the line is very reasonable.

We do have like 4000 long term care facilities in the state, it's a big effort going around and getting them all tested.....

As I said above I think he mentioned only about 1500 or so LTC facilities have been tested so lots of work to do but very good start on all of it IMO.

BTW I mentioned going to phase 2, that's everyone but 3 counties down south where Kane lives, Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.
What do you mean you're not near your peak, where do you get that idea?

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
What do you mean you're not near your peak, where do you get that idea?

I was responding to Archie's question of why are our testing #'s so low per million.

They said at the presser today we are nowhere near the peak # of people we can test daily.....

That make sense?

I don't follow this stuff like you guys do, the TV happened to be on today for that presser from the governor, just repeating what he said.

(or trying, lol)

mr merlin

EOG Master
I was responding to Archie's question of why are our testing #'s so low per million.

They said at the presser today we are nowhere near the peak # of people we can test daily.....

That make sense?

I don't follow this stuff like you guys do, the TV happened to be on today for that presser from the governor, just repeating what he said.

(or trying, lol)
Ok, never mind, my only comment on testing is that everyone has huge testing capacity now, with cases dropping, we will reach a point where there wont be anyone to test, unless if you just go out and randomly test people, which makes no sense.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Ok, never mind, my only comment on testing is that everyone has huge testing capacity now, with cases dropping, we will reach a point where there wont be anyone to test, unless if you just go out and randomly test people, which makes no sense.

Right. That's something I didn't realize until watching that today......

For some reason I thought people who wanted to be tested were being turned away.

That said guess how many pressers from POTUS or any other government official I have watched though all this?

ZERO. Today was my first.

And I wouldn't have watched this one if it didn't just happen to come on before I turned the channel.

(No not Fox news, BayNews 9, lol)

MrTop

EOG Master
Las Vegas man in need of transplant didn’t have COVID-19, ‘but it killed him’

On March 23, he was supposed to travel to the USC Transplant Institute in California for a preliminary appointment to determine how suitable he would be for the procedure.

But his appointment never happened. Because of the pandemic, California hospitals were prohibited from performing elective procedures, which included Moore’s appointment. A new appointment was scheduled for May 12. — a date Moore never lived to see.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...idnt-have-covid-19-but-it-killed-him-2016496/

..... people go to china. No waiting list.. drive thru.. Put the money on the table and they rip it out of a muslim... sad but true. NY times article about 2 years ago.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
How do the suicide numbers compare to the flu deaths every year?

That was the litmus test for whether we should care about deaths originally to quite a few, no?

Now we're trembling at emotional weaklings and those with prexisting mental disorders blowing their "flu" brains out?

Maybe we just isolate them somewhere with daily counselors available.

If w go from 50k suicides to 75k would that be a breaking point?

We prob already have some good suicide prevention discussions on this board, pre covid right?

All lives matter

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
How do the suicide numbers compare to the flu deaths every year?

That was the litmus test for whether we should care about deaths originally to quite a few, no?

Now we're trembling at emotional weaklings and those with prexisting mental disorders blowing their "flu" brains out?

Maybe we just isolate them somewhere with daily counselors available.

If w go from 50k suicides to 75k would that be a breaking point?

We prob already have some good suicide prevention discussions on this board, pre covid right?

All lives matter

Suicides account for approximately the same as flu deaths every year. There were 48k suicides in 2018.

But that's only one part of it. Doesn't count people who haven't been going to the hospital with strokes, heart attacks, etc. Doesn't factor in people bored to death resorting to drugs and alcohol. Also doesn't count people who needed transplants and didn't get them or who need cancer treatment and screenings.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Looks like things evened out, yesterday was up in deaths, today is down 400+ since last week.

No deaths again in the hot spot.

MonkeyF0cker

EOG Dedicated
Sorry but for many, it gets depressing when they have absolutely nothing to look forward to and have no foreseeable goals. There are no sports or group activities to keep their mind occupied.

It takes the life out of some people. Some people in Nevada still haven't seen an unemployment check three months later. Many don't know where they'll work after this and they had no way of finding employment for months.

A little different than "emotional weaklings". The rise in suicides might have a little to do with the circumstances.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Starting to question CA #'s. It's variance for the population size is odd.
Glancing at their chart - it looks like cases are rising, but their % positive is 2.1%, that's really low. 60 K tests a day means 1-2K positive is nothing.

6 weeks ago the US was doing about 100K a day and getting 25K positives a day.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Sorry but for many, it gets depressing when they have absolutely nothing to look forward to and have no foreseeable goals. There are no sports or group activities to keep their mind occupied.

It takes the life out of some people. Some people in Nevada still haven't seen an unemployment check three months later. Many don't know where they'll work after this and they had no way of finding employment for months.

A little different than "emotional weaklings". The rise in suicides might have a little to do with the circumstances.

They should just get a dog, hump it and take it to the beach.

Especially the insecure, depressed, lonely, narcissists.