Your Level of Concern About the Coronavirus......on a scale of 1-10

kane

EOG master
Trump didn't think we would have to deal with a pandemic, so he ignored the experts and disbanded the pandemic unit, two years later we're paying a price for his ignorance and stupidity

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Trump didn't think we would have to deal with a pandemic, so he ignored the experts and disbanded the pandemic unit, two years later we're paying a price for his ignorance and stupidity

Let's talk about the stats for a moment.
According to the figures, the death rate here is much lower than the one in Spain and Italy.
Do you think this is a result of their politicians/leaders being horribly incompetent and ignoring the threat of a pandemic?

kane

EOG master
According to the figures, the death rate here is much lower than the one in Spain and Italy.
Do you think this is a result of their politicians/leaders being horribly incompetent and ignoring the threat of a pandemic?

I don't live in Spain or Italy, I'm not familiar with their politics, but if either of their leaders disbanded a pandemic unit specifically designed to fight a virus, then neither of them took the virus seriously and ignored their own countries intel, then yeah, I would blame them.

boston massacre

EOG Master

Huge Infection Rates in N.Y. because of Cuomo.

Into his 3rd Term, and Prepared for NOTHING.

The fact that he's a racist has nothing to do with it, the fact that he ignored his own advisors in January has a lot to do with it, the fact that he didn't take the virus seriously from the start has a lot to do with it, and the fact that he disbanded the NSC pandemic unit has a lot to do with ithttps://www.660citynews.com/2020/03/13/trump-disbanded-nsc-pandemic-unit-that-experts-had-praised/

The first death was January 21. He then set up a coronavirus task force and put the China ban in January 31. He did it quicker than any leader. Obama waited 6 months.

kane

EOG master
The first death was January 21. He then set up a coronavirus task force and put the China ban in January 31. He did it quicker than any leader. Obama waited 6 months.

Read the article I linked to, in 2018 Trump got rid of the office in charge of pandemics, turns out that might have been a pretty big mistake. Every time you try to defend Trump you always mention either Obama or swine flu, it's 2020, Obama is no longer the president and swine flu isn't a concern. Had Trump not disbanded the NSC pandemic unit, we would have been prepared for what hit us

kane

EOG master
I don't know his position today, but as of last week Trump still wanted to enact cuts to the CDC, we're in the middle of a pandemic and he still wants cuts to the CDC, smh

"They've been worrying about the next pandemic for years and criticized the Trump administration's decision in 2018 to dismantle a National Security Council directorate at the White House charged for preparing for when, not if, another pandemic hit the nation."

Reporter, Feb. 26: Your budgets have consistently called for enormous cuts to the CDC, the NIH, and the WHO. You’ve talked a lot today about how these professionals are excellent, have been critical and necessary. Does this experience at all give you pause about those consistent cuts?

Trump: No, because we — we can get money and we can increase staff. We know all the people. We know all the good people. It’s a question I asked the doctors before. Some of the people we cut, they haven’t been used for many, many years. And if — if we ever need them, we can get them very quickly. And rather than spending the money — and I’m a business person — I don’t like having thousands of people around when you don’t need them.

When we need them, we can get them back very quickly. For instance, we’re bringing some people in tomorrow that are already in this, you know, great government that we have, and very specifically for this. We can build up very, very quickly. And we’ve already done that. I mean, we really have built up. We have a great staff.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran

not that it matters or is instructive of how to solve this problem now. True leaders and heros don't shift blame or look to point fingers, they get the troops rallied to tackle the problems of today while preparing for tommorrow.

And I'm most certainly not a fan of Obama. but it might be important to others with open minds to see a quickly constructed timeline I put together a month ago when I researched pandemics in general

a little background. H1N1 was a form of flu, so not a novel virus. Thus humans did have some basic inherent genetic immunity as immune systems would recognize the tweak of the flu strain. But it was also known that a vaccine would be able to be made in relatively short term. A novel coronavirus will infect a human immune system and they have absolutely zero natual affinity to fight it off and have to re learn their entire immune response. That is why things are shutting down EVERYWHERE in the world for this. Scientists have been shitting their pants behind closed doors to world leaders as they don't have answers yet, and this is a more contagious and insidiously mutating virus that has a stealth incubation component. But if you want to continue to compare the apples and oranges, just using raw data that is done vs very quickly accumulating data against the advice of experts that is a decision that doesn't just affect you. but in any event here is how the H1N1 went down. It was a bit different in big and nuanced ways. a big one being, that since it was a very bad flu strain, we did know that the sun, heat and humidity would help mitigate the affects, summer was soon approaching.

April 15 First H1N1 Case in the United States. It began in the United States so there was no months of previous warning from foreign countries.

April 28 the First H1N1 death

April 29- Public health Emergency declared and Obama requests 1.5 Billion dollars from Congress, Says some schools should close and people to plan for contingencies for staying home

April 29 WHO raises Pandemic alert to level 5

May 5 the first US citizen dies of H1N1

July 11 The CDC declares H1N1 a pandemic

July 24- The CDC says there are 2738 confirmed cases of H1N1

The summer hit and H1N1 "washed through" kids were out of school and not spreading as fast. There were on a few thousand actual cases and there was no exponential growth.

Fall comes and kids start spreading again a quick ramp up after September things get bad in October.

October 5th- first H1N1 vaccine is administered

not everyone is getting the H1N1 vaccine, because hey, its just the flu vaccine of the year and not everyone gets that.

October schools start to close and A surge(like but lesser than what we see in NY now) finally hits some hospitals and is predicted for other hospitals.

In response Obama declares a national emergency to make it easier for Medical facilities to handle the surge by allowing a waiver of some medicare red tape as well as other federal health insurance programs

August 10 2010 WHO declares end of the H1N! pandemic.

so there is 17 months of that pandemic. If people want to compare apples and oranges for purely political purpses its gonna make it doubly sad when CV19, which is a far scarier pathogen, kills much more than 12,000+ over the next 17 months

Last edited:
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/...ef-holds-firm-on-cdc-cuts-amid-virus-outbreak

Russ Vought, the acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, on Tuesday doubled down on proposed cuts to health services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, despite the Coronavirus outbreak"
It doesn't matter how many people were there or how much money they had before the virus. That was all fat. Nothing was going to change. Trump called for money and man power when needed.

Last edited:

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Another fact. Within 1 month of the first positive test of H1N1. The United States had tested 1 million Americans.

5 months after first positive test, the first vaccine was administered.

This morning in a tweet Trump Jr threatened to scorn anyone who praises China

A couple hours later the POTUS tweeted praise for the Chinese government

You can't make this shit up

mr merlin

EOG Master
Correct, but trump has told us many times he's smarter than the experts. It's terrifying lthat he probably believes that to be true.
He is brilliant, but he's just too busy to stay on top of every little nuance concerning quarantines, methods used by other countries, , etc.

Italy with over 900 deaths today, Ugh.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
to see a quickly constructed timeline I put together a month ago when I researched pandemics in general

April 29-Obama requests 1.5 Trillion dollars from Congress

Where is this documented by a reputable source? I certainly don't remember anything close to that amount. Even if true, Congress didn't appropriate the money.

Obama designated in July 2009, an already budgeted $1.825 billion, from the HHS swine flu fund. If Obama had declared a national health emergency he could have used 10's of billions of new unbudgeted funds.

Last edited:
Where is this documented by a reputable source? I certainly don't remember anything close to that amount. Even if true, Congress didn't appropriate the money.

Obama redirected an already budgeted, $1.825 billion, from HHS. If Obama had declared a national health emergency he could have used 10's of billions of new unbudgeted funds.
kane caught quoting fake news again.