Your Level of Concern About the Coronavirus......on a scale of 1-10

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Returning to the premise that Sweden has responded to Covid successfully by not responding at all, let's compare the loss of live with the rest of Scandinavia.

Sweden 3925
Denmark 561
Finland 306
Norway 235

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Jeesh Bob you've always been one of my favorites. I'm a liberal and I'm in no way cheering, rooting or any other imbesilic term you just gave me and millions like myself. I wish death upon no one and that includes trump.

Of course, I didn't say all liberals, probably I should have said most of the Trump Deranged Syndrome folks that I encounter here and on Twitter. Of course, they always seem to deny it.

And isn't it odd that none of the Trump haters here seems to respond positively to my post about Sweden producing a 9 day run of declining 7 day average deaths? Not out of the woods but better than more death instead of less.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Of course, I didn't say all liberals, probably I should have said most of the Trump Deranged Syndrome folks that I encounter here and on Twitter. Of course, they always seem to deny it.

And isn't it odd that none of the Trump haters here seems to respond positively to my post about Sweden producing a 9 day run of declining 7 day average deaths? Not out of the woods but better than more death instead of less.

Another label.

Trump Deranged Syndrome.

What do you label someone who by a static set of indicators, sans rhetoric, media bias or outside influence, has determined that Trump has done a terrible job, is not qualified or fit to lead?

I'm not gonna accept the trainwreck that is Trump because some full of himself fukk slapped a label on me , fukk I care? That's a loser's lot, not mine.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

You need a pat on the back pal?

Sweden messed up.

But you are wonderful Bob, here's to you Bob!!!

ComptrBob

EOG Master
apples to apples

Sweden made a big mistake.

Dude, your sample set of 3 other countries is so impressive.

If Sweden made such a bad mistake , how come it is in the middle of the pack?

Let's compare apples to apples, deaths/M of the major Western European countries:

Belgium 795
Spain 612
Italy 539
UK 536
France 433
Sweden 389
Netherlands 338
Portugal 126
Germany 100

Have a good evening.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Oh Billy, you're so fun.

Thanks for your marvelous statistics, you're truly a libtard's libtard!

Your welcome fella spin them any way you see fit.

You are truly a whatever's whatever., neither of which is my concern, interest or problem.

I'll let you pick your own label Bobby, more fun!!!

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Comparing Sweden's Covid response to Spain is as Montana is to Illinois

Sweden is also taking the herd mentality approach, no one else is. I do get your point though Billy.

Billy, do you think the entire state of Illinois should be shut down because metro Chicago has a problem?

kane

EOG master
Thank you for the acknowledgement. I taught for 15 years and was in administration for another 5. 9 of those years were in the classroom teaching anywhere from 5th grade to HS social studies. The other 6 were teaching PE. My degree is in history. But a couple of schools I coached at put me in PE because of my coaching resume. Allowed me to have weights class for football players during the day, which was nice. I didn't mind it one bit. Wear shorts to work every day? Sign me up..

And yes. I put up with a lot of shit. I could write a book. A long book.

I disagree with you politically, but I agree with Drink about how important teachers are, it amazes me how little they get paid relative to the importance of their job, teachers deserve better treatment than they get and certainly more pay

I disagree with you politically, but I agree with Drink about how important teachers are, it amazes me how little they get paid relative to the importance of their job, teachers deserve better treatment than they get and certainly more pay

Our country has done a marvelous job of defunding and devaluing public education for years

As George Carlin and many others have accurately pointed out in the past, the last thing our rulers want is a society of intelligent, critical thinkers.

kane

EOG master
[QUOTE="Heisenberg, post: 7599114, member: 104691"]Our country has done a marvelous job of defunding and devaluing public education for years

As George Carlin and many others have accurately pointed out in the past, the last thing our rulers want is a society of intelligent, critical thinkers.[/QUOTE]

Two words: Betsy DeVos

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
You should know as well as anyone that Arpaio was running his jails as a "for profit" business with his family owning the companies that provided the services for Maricopa County Jails.

I've mentioned more than once that I voted against him in 2016.

That doesn't change my general stance with the original question. Don't wanna do the time, don't do the crime.

mr merlin

EOG Master
America's curve without New York is straight up. 👆 Even with RepubliCon governors in Fl., Ga., Iowa, Neb, Arizona fudging the numbers.
No, the curve even without NY is going down slowly. Which is ok, since NY had a 3-4 week head start on most of the country.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
Sweden is also taking the herd mentality approach, no one else is. I do get your point though Billy.

Billy, do you think the entire state of Illinois should be shut down because metro Chicago has a problem?

I haven't seen any kind of effective mitigation effort in the USA at all. Mitigation won't work, isolating Chicago is a waste of time.

Mitigation only works when there is 100% buy in, proper enforcement in place and a belief that wellness is not a political agenda. See New Zealand.

When you have people prancing in the streetsnon open defiance, a president who grandstands not wearing PPE when regulations call for it, clear tribal agenda built around a global health issue, what is the point and what was the point of any containment effort at all.

The 6 week delay in any organized national response and outright denial pretty much outlined the course that should have been followed.

The entire country should be opened up immediately and let the bodies hit the floor.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Dude, your sample set of 3 other countries is so impressive.

If Sweden made such a bad mistake , how come it is in the middle of the pack?

Let's compare apples to apples, deaths/M of the major Western European countries:

Belgium 795
Spain 612
Italy 539
UK 536
France 433
Sweden 389
Netherlands 338
Portugal 126
Germany 100

Have a good evening.

Those numbers dont account for population density

mr merlin

EOG Master
Remember this folks? May 4th, was covered heavily by the main stream press, lots of doom and gloom , what happened?

WASHINGTON – A new government report projects COVID-19 cases will surge to about 200,000 per day by June 1, a staggering jump that would be accompanied by more than 3,000 deaths each day.

By comparison, over the last week the Centers for Disease Control reported between 23,459 and 30,787 new cases a day.

The document predicts a sharp increase in both cases and deaths beginning about May 14, according to a copy shared with The Washington Post.

I've mentioned more than once that I voted against him in 2016.

That doesn't change my general stance with the original question. Don't wanna do the time, don't do the crime.

We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world

Locking people up has become a “for profit” industry

An inordinate of citizens are receiving excessive sentences in relation to their crimes

Far too many are being locked up for victimless crimes

ComptrBob

EOG Master

You're as clueless as Billy Boy, keep finding irrelevant parameters to ignore data you don't like..

How relevant are these numbers for similar populations and pop. density?

UK 67.8M, Pop. Density 278 people/sq. km, Deaths 36,393, Deaths/M 536
Vietnam 97.2M, Pop. density 297 people/sq. km, Deaths 0, Deaths/M 0

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world

Locking people up has become a “for profit” industry

An inordinate of citizens are receiving excessive sentences in relation to their crimes

Far too many are being locked up for victimless crimes
I agree about it being a For-Profit business. That doesn't change the fact if you don't do the crime, youre not going to jail.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
You're as clueless as Billy Boy, keep finding irrelevant parameters to ignore data you don't like..

Come on Bob what is with the insult?

I thought you were above that.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

correct, this is not an apples to apples comparison. any more than Montana to Illinois.

Belgium is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

Sweden?

Um, err, ah.....not so much.

There is no logical metric by which the sum of Sweden's strategy has been successful, so far.

Perhaps we can dissect it and get some discretionary "throw outs" for effect. Bob can call up 1389 families and tell them granny didn't die after sll.

Or however that works.

billysink

EOG Dedicated

Bobby lets try to keep our comparisons on the same continent, you started with a fine list there, Vietnam?

Apples to star fruit now?

I made it easy Fella, listed all the neighboring Scandinavian counties. Similar population densities. Apples to apples.

Didn't look so good did it.

billysink

EOG Dedicated
No insult, just the unvarnished truth. Please answer the question that you mimicked from Billy, why is population density relevant in comparing countries?

Oh my.

Bobby in your lovely country is the virus a larger issue in major urban centers or in rural communities?

ComptrBob

EOG Master
correct, this is not an apples to apples comparison. any more than Montana to Illinois.

Belgium is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

Sweden?

Um, err, ah.....not so much.

There is no logical metric by which the sum of Sweden's strategy has been successful, so far.

Perhaps we can dissect it and get some discretionary "throw outs" for effect. Bob can call up 1389 families and tell them granny didn't die after sll.

Or however that works.

Maybe you can call up Spain's 688 dead yesterday and say "no problem", just look at Sweden with 54 is much worse because they have more land with nobody on it.

Hey genius, ever heard of Stockholm?

Of course, certain countries have much more empty space than others, but exactly how does having more empty spaces have any thing to do with the spread of the virus? Now if every one was spread out evenly this might be a factor, but virtually every developed country is heavily urbanized.

Exactly how does a locked down dense country have the virus spread, from door to door?