Your Level of Concern About the Coronavirus......on a scale of 1-10

Claim #1: Rebekah Jones was the “architect” of the Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard.

The truth: Jones was more like the drywall hanger of the dashboard rather than the “architect.” The dashboard was built on the same visual mapping tool that Johns Hopkins University made famous at the beginning of the coronavirus crisis. In fact, Florida’s tool looks extremely similar. That’s because Johns Hopkins University is not the “architect” of the dashboard, either. The tool is actually built not on any of Florida’s many data servers, but using ready-made modules from a subscription service called ArcGIS. Jones’ job was to load data into those modules and decide how it appeared to visitors.

Claim #2: Rebekah Jones was a coronavirus “scientist”

The truth: Jones has a doctorate degree in geography. Her skill set, as applicable to COVID-19, was in mapping data, as we explained above. That’s it. No special skills in epidemiology, biology, or even public health. Depending on the narrative a media outlet wants to convey, using the term “scientist” in headlines about coronavirus carries with it a very specific connotation, leading readers to believe Jones was involved in the front lines of coronavirus research. If media outlets insist on describing her as a “scientist,” they owe their readers a fuller explanation of her role, and should, at most, describe her as a “data scientist,” though even that could be misleading and would still be misconstrued for political gain.

Claim #3: Rebekah Jones was asked to manipulate data to support the governor’s plan to reopen Florida

The truth: Jones was asked to temporarily disable the ability to export data from the dashboard so that it could be verified that the data matched other sources.

We previously gave credit to the Tampa Bay Times for accurately describing Jones’ role in managing the COVID-19 dashboard. They also accurately describe events leading to Jones termination. Don’t misunderstand – the Times is still guilty of trying to make Jones a martyr. Take a look at how they describe what happened:

On June 13, 26-year-old University staff member Rebekah Jones was booked on one count of battery on a police officer, one count of remaining after forbidden and two counts of resisting arrest, Scott said. Scott said officers arrived at the Sea Grant building when Jones refused to leave at the request of LSU Human Resources. Scott said Jones initiated physical contact against two LSUPD officers while resisting arrest and officers were forced to subdue her.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ickbait-the-media-dreams-of-but-its-all-fake/

If the stalking stuff was true, so what, it has nothing to do with her ability as a scientist.

This is more plausible.

"Jones, is credited with building, designing, and managing Florida's Covid 19 data and surveillance dashboard, which was praised by researchers, including a White House scientist as a shining exapmle of transparency
Read the articles. She didn't create anything. It's all fake news.

Claim #1: Rebekah Jones was the “architect” of the Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard.

The truth: Jones was more like the drywall hanger of the dashboard rather than the “architect.” The dashboard was built on the same visual mapping tool that Johns Hopkins University made famous at the beginning of the coronavirus crisis. In fact, Florida’s tool looks extremely similar. That’s because Johns Hopkins University is not the “architect” of the dashboard, either. The tool is actually built not on any of Florida’s many data servers, but using ready-made modules from a subscription service called ArcGIS. Jones’ job was to load data into those modules and decide how it appeared to visitors.

She's not a scientist concerning coronavirus.

Claim #2: Rebekah Jones was a coronavirus “scientist”

The truth: Jones has a doctorate degree in geography. Her skill set, as applicable to COVID-19, was in mapping data, as we explained above

kane

EOG master
So she might have been guilty of stalking an ex boyfriend, which has yet to be proven. I still don't know what this means in terms of her being an effective scientist

No special skills in epidemiology, biology, or even public health. Depending on the narrative a media outlet wants to convey, using the term “scientist” in headlines about coronavirus carries with it a very specific connotation, leading readers to believe Jones was involved in the front lines of coronavirus research. If media outlets insist on describing her as a “scientist,” they owe their readers a fuller explanation of her role, and should, at most, describe her as a “data scientist,” though even that could be misleading and would still be misconstrued for political gain.

This is critical. The Tampa Bay Times had the full explanation for why the data was temporarily unavailable, but they and other media outlets decided to run with “coronavirus conspiracy” instead. In fact, the Times headline claims Jones was asked to “delete” data. No where in the story itself does the word “delete” appear. It’s another clickbait headline.

Most of the charges filed against her came after she was hired by the Department of Health, so they would not have turned up in any background check.

The bottom line: Rebekah Jones was fired for performance issues, not for “refusing to manipulate data.” And her extensive criminal history, which predates her employment in Florida, lends credence to the DeSantis administration that she was just a troublesome employee who is now disgruntled and trying to get media attention about her firing. The easiest way to get media attention right now is to claim a Republican elected official is involved in a conspiracy to cover up COVID-19 data detrimental to reopening the state economy.

The media outlets listed above will not issue retractions. They will double down on the idea that DeSantis’s administration is withholding / manipulating / deleting / altering data. That, too is totally false. But mark these words, the embarrassment of touting Rebekah Jones as their coronavirus martyr will quickly fade into the mainstream media memory hole.

kane

EOG master
The author of the article is a right winger named Brian Burgess and the article itself is taken from a right wing site called The Capitolist". Sorry Raiders, I don't believe anything taken from right wing sites. I get my info from legitimate news outlests, and you get your from right wing sites, where anyone with a blog can be quoted
kane- You're posting fake news again.

kane

EOG master
Sorry Raiders, but every single one of your quotes about her are from the same right wing article, you can continue getting your info from conservapedia and the capitolist, and I'll continue getting mine form legitimate news outlets

kane

EOG master
"In the days that followed (her getting fired), the governor and other conservative voices attacked Jones's credibility, character and credentials and downplayed her importance in the DOH"

Because that's what the right does to whistleblowers, attack them, try to dig up dirt, do anything they can to discredit them.

kane

EOG master
Fake news kane takes the EOG fake news lead.

kane: 1
others : 0

You get your info from conservapedia, then later say they're not credible, but I'm the one posting fake news, bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, you're funny Raiders, never change

kane

EOG master
To try and discredit the scientist who outed Desantis, Raidders posts a link to the capitolist, a right wing smear site run by a right winger with a computer, that's all it takes these days for Raiders to think that's actually a credible news source, LMAO. I was wondering why at first you didn't provide the link, you just posted the fake news, but you didn't post the link, that's why I asked you where you got it, of course once you did post the link, it was very easy to see where you got your fake news from, you didn't post the link initially because you knew it was bullshit from the start. Never change Raiders, never change

But in a nationally televised appearance late Friday on CNN, she failed to produce any evidence to support the sensational allegations.

“I never stated nor implied that the Governor was involved with asking me to manipulate, delete and hide data,” Jones wrote on a personal blog. “I never suggested any conspiracy directly involving the Governor.”

The admission undercuts one of the central underpinnings of the media narrative that has become a national news story: that Florida’s governor, eager to reopen Florida’s economy, directed Jones to delete or alter COVID-19 data to support his reopening plan. It’s a narrative that Democrats like Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried pounced on immediately, without ever seeing evidence:
https://thecapitolist.com/rebekah-j...ed-in-conspiracy-to-manipulate-covid-19-data/

kane

EOG master
Also, she was hired by the DOH after her charge of stalking, not before it, so whoever hired her either didn't know about the charge or didn't care. Either way, it's not a big deal, just a woman scorned type of thing

kane

EOG master
He doubles down by reposting the same fake news by the capitolist, LMAO. Don't you ever get any news from a legitimate news source? It's always these crazy alt right sites you link to