Your User Name

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Heim is short for Anaheim.

On the radio, I always wanted to tell the origins of Heim's nickname or screen name, lest someone got the wrong idea.

There is actually a street in Orange called "Heim" - it is located just off the 55/Katella in Orange. Take Tustin Ave and head North and you will see it

kane

EOG master
Nice thread idea, Kane.

I usually go by my given name Walter but when I need an extra edge to do my dirty work I put on my sunglasses and top hat and go by Heisenberg

"Heisenberg" is one of the best characters of all time on the GOAT of shows Breaking Bad

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Katella? Isn't that Los Alamitos territory?

As Sol pointed out..........Katella runs forever. If you keep going East past D-land you'll see Anaheim Stadium on the South Side and go a tad more East and you'll see the Honda Center just to the North of Katella. If you come out of the back entrance to Anaheim Stadium - the street is Douglass - you will see Honda Center directly across the street. Keep taking Katella East and you'll run into the 55. Just East of the 55 the street still runs but the name changes to "Villa Park Road" and then "East Santiago Canyon" until it ends. This is not uncommon. Many streets change names once the City changes.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
So you can go to the racetrack, a baseball game, a hockey game and see Mickey all within a mile 10-mile radius.

E$

EOG Dedicated
My first name starts with E and everyone at a golf course I used to work at called me “e-money” (I assume because I like to play golf for money.) I would initial stuff by writing or typing E$. I added the 13 here because as a lifelong Dolphins fan, I love Dan Marino.

I would love to drop the 13 from my username here and just go with E$ if that is possible. If not, no biggie.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Never realized your user named was tied to Henry Boucha!!! His red headband was worn in the days before helmets were a requirement! I recall he was badly injured, taking a high stick to the face or something like that, and never was the same again.
I'd have to google that Mr. B. But that does sound a bit familiar now that you bring it up. I wasn't exactly a big fan of his so didn't follow that close. Either that or I'm getting old which is more likely the case. I'm heading down to LCA tomorrow night for the Red Wing draft and possibly sign up for a partial season ticket package. Some sort of VIP room to watch the draft and hard sell us for a package. If I get one you and I will make a game or 2 if you're still interested. I know we talked about this one time long ago. THey better be good closers as I prefer the comfort of my man cave and my big screen than fighting those crowds these days. Plus I won't buy anything above the lower bowl. I'm spoiled.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My first name starts with E and everyone at a golf course I used to work at called me “e-money” (I assume because I like to play golf for money.) I would initial stuff by writing or typing E$. I added the 13 here because as a lifelong Dolphins fan, I love Dan Marino.

I would love to drop the 13 from my username here and just go with E$ if that is possible. If not, no biggie.

Ask and you shall receive.

So much for your love of Dan Marino.

Reactions: E$

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd have to google that Mr. B. But that does sound a bit familiar now that you bring it up. I wasn't exactly a big fan of his so didn't follow that close. Either that or I'm getting old which is more likely the case. I'm heading down to LCA tomorrow night for the Red Wing draft and possibly sign up for a partial season ticket package. Some sort of VIP room to watch the draft and hard sell us for a package. If I get one you and I will make a game or 2 if you're still interested. I know we talked about this one time long ago. THey better be good closers as I prefer the comfort of my man cave and my big screen than fighting those crowds these days. Plus I won't buy anything above the lower bowl. I'm spoiled.

Nothing above the lower bowl?

You are spoiled, Bushay.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Nothing above the lower bowl?

You are spoiled, Bushay.
25 seasons at the Joe 4th row blueline. You get a whole new perspective down that low. Had the same area seats back in the Bob Lanier-Dave BIng era at Cobo Hall then a few early years when they moved to the Silverdome. [Not their best decision]. You're not squinting to see the puck that low and my attention turned to studying the coach's line changes and decisions. Highlighted when they brought in Scotty Bowman to finish the job. Just a master at his trade and no one better in any sport AKAIK. HIs record speaks for himself. 25+years of observing, 35+ years of coaching and playing gave me an education of the game few can match.

Bushay

NHL Expert
And just to add. My old man was an Account Executive at Wonder Bread all my years growing up. His more important duty among determining what companies got how much space in the bread aisle each company got of a few of the bigger supermarkets, he was wined and dined in the free trade market before restrictions were put in place as they are these days and he was in charge of distributing and dishing out all their tickets which were all some of the best in every arena. About 12+ rows from the field right at 1st base at Tiger stadium during history-making years including the 68 and 84 "World Series" and every home game of Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. Went to every all-star and playoff game of all 4 Detroit sports team from say late 60's to right around the turn of the century. Sat Clubhouse Box at 10 Kentucky Derbys, 5 Indy 500's in the front row in the pits. In front of a different driver every year including watching Rick Mears catch on fire from an invisible gas leak. Wanna say 1980. Wasn't a huge Golf fan but my brothers all went every year to the Byron Nelson Classic in Dallas. We weren't rich growing up [maybe slightly upper middle class] but at the same time lived like Kings in terms of witnessing sporting events my entire lifetime. Wouldn't trade my life growing up for anything in the world.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Fabulous stories, Bushay.

The more you put into the game, the more you get out of the game.

Sounds like you could write a book on the highs and lows of Detroit sports.

How far back do we have to go for the glory days of the Detroit Lions?

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

The last glory days of the Lions were in 1957 and Bobby Layne.

Bushay

NHL Expert

You had me on your radio show once with Dink and grilled me about the sports landscape of all our Detroit teams and I told you this was always a Tiger town with a few exciting years of the Red Wings and Pistons winning Championships, but if this town ever put an extended Championship football team in place this would instantly be a football town and they'd forget all about those other sports. As Keith said, Lions haven't won anything since 57" and that was before we knew what a Super Bowl was.

Wife just backed out of my night out at LCA for the NHL draft so looks like I'll be watching on TV after all. A Red Wing sales rep called me with VIP seats this week and was really looking forward to being there tonight. Still making phone calls as I'm typing this to find an accomplice to go.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ha.

Same is true with Chicago, I believe.

It's a Bears town.

Hard to find cities where the NFL team is not the most popular professional sports team in the city.

St. Louis maybe?

With the popular Cardinals trumping the now Los Angeles-based Rams.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Hard to find cities where the NFL team is not the most popular professional sports team in the city.

I'm not from New York. But it's hard to imagine the Giants are more loved than the Yankees.

And the Dodgers are and Lakers own LA. They did before the Rams/Raiders left. They do when the Rams returned.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Actually the Giants and the Jets play in New Jersey....

Yankees and Mets still play in New York.....Yankees will always own the city....

Madison Square Garden and the Knicks have not been relevant since the 60s and 70s...

Brooklyn Nets are still trying to find a niche in the city....

Have always enjoyed myself attending sporting events in New York....I remember the days when boxing was always an event you didn’t want to miss in New York City...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'm not from New York. But it's hard to imagine the Giants are more loved than the Yankees.

And the Dodgers are and Lakers own LA. They did before the Rams/Raiders left. They do when the Rams returned.

L.A. is still a Raiders town despite the presence of the Rams and Chargers.

Good point about the love of the Lakers and Dodgers in Los Angeles.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
L.A. is still a Raiders town despite the presence of the Rams and Chargers.

Good point about the love of the Lakers and Dodgers in Los Angeles.

The Dodgers were loved during their inaugural season (1958) in Los Angeles.

The city took time to warm up to the Lakers.