Zion Rumor Floating Around....

kane

EOG master
If there is a silver lining for the Pelicans, Alexander-Walker might be the steal of the draft.

I agree about Walker, the steal in the second round is Carsen Edwards, that kid's a baller, people will look back and wonder how he didn't go in the first round, and yeah I know he's small, but the kid can flat out shoot the rock

Heim

EOG Master
He doesn't have one basket outside the paint. He needs to develop a mid range jumper minimum. He's not going to be leaping over everybody forever.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He doesn't have one basket outside the paint. He needs to develop a mid range jumper minimum. He's not going to be leaping over everybody forever.
Midrange jumpers are not analytically friendly in the 3's and dunks NBA now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Some observers compare Zion Williamson to former UNLV great Larry Johnson.

"LJ" had a decent mid-range game and you could trust his 15-footer when he was with the Knicks and Hornets.

Zion is becoming a better version of Michael Cage or Anthony Mason.

Okay, that's a little harsh.

Let's go old-school with Derrick Coleman.

No, Coleman's not athletic enough.

How about a Julius Randle comp for Zion?

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Found a good story about the marketing of Larry Johnson in the NBA.

One potential commercial idea that never aired was brilliant.

Larry Johnson himself tells the story:

Converse called. They said, ‘We’ve got a great idea for a commercial. We’re going to put you in a gurney, cover you up. We’re going to have Magic Johnson and Larry Bird operating on you. They’ll say, ‘Oh, We did it. A perfect basketball player.’ Then they say, ‘We’ve got to name him.’ Larry says, ‘It’s got to be Larry.’ And Magic says, ‘It’s got to be Johnson.’ They go back and forth. ‘Larry.’ ‘Johnson.’ ‘Larry.’ ‘Johnson.’ Then I raise up off the gurney.

Last edited:

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
All I know is he has a terrific right hand for a left handed guy. When he faces up with somebody when he has the ball nobody can take his drive away

Larry was a great passer when he was playing a free flowing game at UNLV and Charlotte. When he got to the Knicks they took all the offensive talent out of the game he had, just wanted him to be another version of Charles Oakley.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Zion Williamson has played in 85 NBA games and he has missed 87 games.

Rehab from a fractured right foot is not going well for Williamson.

Heim

EOG Master
This is no rumor. Max extension for him, 5 years 231 million.

Has anyone this side of Ben Simmons done less to earn that kind of money.

kane

EOG master
This is no rumor. Max extension for him, 5 years 231 million.

Has anyone this side of Ben Simmons done less to earn that kind of money.
They're not paying him for what he's done, they're paying him for what they expect him to do over the next 5 years, there's no doubting the talent is there, he just needs to stay healthy and get in better condition, I would take a chance and pay him based off the potential

Heim

EOG Master
They're not paying him for what he's done, they're paying him for what they expect him to do over the next 5 years, there's no doubting the talent is there, he just needs to stay healthy and get in better condition, I would take a chance and pay him based off the potential

I understand. He's young. But locking in a injury prone guy doesn't make sense.

They really do play better without him

lap18

EOG Dedicated
Great observation

MrTop

EOG Master
I would have bet the no. I knew his weight was a problem. I was late to the party. He showed he can play,

kane

EOG master
Zion has played 85 games in his career, he's averaging 25 points and 7 rebounds per game shooting 60% from the field, and he's 21 years old, of course the Pelicans did the right thing, and if they wanted to trade him, teams would be lining up

Heim

EOG Master
This is akin to handing a 20 year old keys to a Ferrari who has already been in three accidents driving a Volvo....

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Zion has played 85 games in his career, he's averaging 25 points and 7 rebounds per game shooting 60% from the field, and he's 21 years old, of course the Pelicans did the right thing, and if they wanted to trade him, teams would be lining up

85 games 😅....even Durant beat him by 5 with the Nets.

kane

EOG master
Give me the list of NBA players who have averaged 25 a game at his age, my guess is that will be a short list

boston massacre

EOG Master
This is akin to handing a 20 year old keys to a Ferrari who has already been in three accidents driving a Volvo....

How's John Wall Going To Work Out With The Clippers ?

How Many Games Has He Played In The Last 5 Years ?

Had A 47 Million Dollar Option Bought Out By Houston For 41 Million.

Then Signed With Clippers For 6.5 Million.

Been Gone So Long, People Forgot He Existed.

Heim

EOG Master
Give me the list of NBA players who have averaged 25 a game at his age, my guess is that will be a short list

I'm not putting his numbers at issue. It's better than LeBron out of the box. But LeBron was not injury prone early. That's the question mark.

I'm just saying a huge gamble. I'd send him packing for a good starter a few No. 1s.

Heim

EOG Master
He had a bad game last night. Nonetheless, I realized how limited his game is with taller opponents.

This isn't college anymore yet he continually tried to drive on bigger opponents and get his shot stuffed. Moreover, the more he missed the more frustrated he got, forcing more bad shots.

He needs to find a mid-range jumper. Like Giannis, he needs to evolve. The bull in a china shop drives are easy to defend.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
He had a bad game last night. Nonetheless, I realized how limited his game is with taller opponents.

This isn't college anymore yet he continually tried to drive on bigger opponents and get his shot stuffed. Moreover, the more he missed the more frustrated he got, forcing more bad shots.

He needs to find a mid-range jumper. Like Giannis, he needs to evolve. The bull in a china shop drives are easy to defend.
And even with those current inefficiencies he is still over 60% from the field. If he developes a mid range jumpshot he will literally be unguardable. He should be working on that midrange jumpshot for hours a day.