The Best Coach in College Basketball is......? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

Default Re: The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    What, no love for Shaka Smart?

Another young coach like Stevens who is on a path to greatness.
    He's in my top 5 personally

Larranaga is a great coach at Miami. He ran some great stuff at George Mason...now that
    he has better athletes and one on one guys he's cut back on the set plays but still a great
    one. George Mason in FF might have been the greatest single season coaching job ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    Larranaga is a great coach at Miami. He ran some great stuff at George Mason...now that
    he has better athletes and one on one guys he's cut back on the set plays but still a great
    one. George Mason in FF might have been the greatest single season coaching job ever.
    I had this discussion with some people at the office today and one of them mentioned Larranaga as being in his top tier of coaches - I concur. Let's see what he does at Miami for a bit first though.

Jim Valvano winning a National Title with that NC State team was a better piece of coach IMO but I get the jest of your point.

Food & Beverage Chairman Doughy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    He sure is doing a great job this year. Miami will have its first sellout in forever next week versus Duke.
    "It starts with a whistle...and ends with a gun." - John Facenda

EOG Dedicated

Come on AB jump in any time

Top 10:

Stevens
    Izzo
    Coach K
    Self
    Shaka
    Cal
    Pitino
    Crean
    Beilein
    Few/Boeheim

Quote Originally Posted by Timely Hero View Post
    Top 10:

Stevens
    Izzo
    Coach K
    Self
    Shaka
    Cal
    Pitino
    Crean
    Beilein
    Few/Boeheim
    Tan Tommy Crean??????? He just got beat for the 12th consecutive time by Bo Ryan. He hasn't won diddly, and has grossly underachieved with highly rated recruiting classes. Explain how he fits in the top 10

Quote Originally Posted by SpottedCow View Post
    Tan Tommy Crean??????? He just got beat for the 12th consecutive time by Bo Ryan. He hasn't won diddly, and has grossly underachieved with highly rated recruiting classes. Explain how he fits in the top 10
    He rebuilt Marquette, and then went to Indiana when it was in the dumps and facing horrendous sanctions and turned the program back around. Crean is a better coach with lesser players, I'll admit that, but he always finds a hidden talent when recruiting - like Deiner. Wade. Jerel McNeal. Now Oladipo and Hulls. It's one game - he did fine vs Bo Ryan while coach for Marquette. This team just doesn't seem to match up well. The fact that Crean has turned around 2 programs is enough to earn him a top 10 spot IMO.

I like Buzz more too, at the moment, but I give Crean more credit as a program builder and elite college coach.

He rebuilt Marquette, and then went to Indiana when it was in the dumps and facing horrendous sanctions and turned the program back around. Crean is a better coach with lesser players, I'll admit that, but he always finds a hidden talent when recruiting - like Deiner. Wade. Jerel McNeal. Now Oladipo and Hulls. It's one game - he did fine vs Bo Ryan while coach for Marquette. This team just doesn't seem to match up well. The fact that Crean has turned around 2 programs is enough to earn him a top 10 spot IMO.

I like Buzz more too, at the moment, but I give Crean more credit as a program builder and elite college coach.
    So Crean is better than Ryan because he has elevated a traditional cbb power back to relevance while Ryan has taken a perennial doormat and made them nationally relevant? At a more difficult school to recruit to? With lesser talent? Wisconsin has been consistently better under Ryan than Indiana has been under Crean. The knock on Bo is that he hasn't gotten to the final 4. Has Crean? Back 2 back sweet 16's and 12 straight tourney appearances blows Tommy's socks off.

top 10

1. Brad Stevens
    2. Bo Ryan
    3. Joe Callero
    4. Rick Majerus
    5. Bob Thomason
    6. Tim Floyd
    7. Kevin Oneil
    8. Jim Larrinaga
    9. Larry Eustachy
    10. Kevin Oneil

So Crean is better than Ryan because he has elevated a traditional cbb power back to relevance while Ryan has taken a perennial doormat and made them nationally relevant? At a more difficult school to recruit to? With lesser talent? Wisconsin has been consistently better under Ryan than Indiana has been under Crean. The knock on Bo is that he hasn't gotten to the final 4. Has Crean? Back 2 back sweet 16's and 12 straight tourney appearances blows Tommy's socks off.
    Yes he has been to the Final Four. You seem to think that only Crean's Indiana years count, and you're punishing him for his record his first two years when he had 3 scholarship players left when he took over. Samson destroyed the program and hit the road. Crean took Marquette to a Final Four when they hadn't been a serious contender in a tournament since Al was there.

Crean beat Ryan for Wisconsin recruits like Deiner and Novak when Wisconsin was the big dog in the state. Bo Ryan is a damn good coach, but do I think he could go elsewhere and build the program up to national contender? IDK about that, but it's just my opinion.

Another game in which Stevens enters outmanned and out coaches his foe to an extent that allows his team to maintain a lead throughout.

Such a good foul right there from Pangos, so intentional but he played it perfectly.

This is great basketball.

The difference is Stevens gets these roll players and uses them about as efficiently as any coach ever.

Most other coaches have just as talented roll players imo and they have no idea how to use them (set up sets where they are effective)

OH BABY!

That was an amazing game. Did John Stockton's son just make that retarded entry pass?
    "It starts with a whistle...and ends with a gun." - John Facenda

Watch that replay and watch Stevens. No emotion.

Guy is a killer.

He's unreal. It's tough to explain how he gets his players in the right spot on every possession. On that last play he collapsed the post, spread out the corners and ran an ISO play for his best playmaker knowing he could get him 1-1 with the fear of Butler's outside shooters. The strategy and decisions this guy makes are on another level.

Yes he has been to the Final Four. You seem to think that only Crean's Indiana years count, and you're punishing him for his record his first two years when he had 3 scholarship players left when he took over. Samson destroyed the program and hit the road. Crean took Marquette to a Final Four when they hadn't been a serious contender in a tournament since Al was there.

Crean beat Ryan for Wisconsin recruits like Deiner and Novak when Wisconsin was the big dog in the state. Bo Ryan is a damn good coach, but do I think he could go elsewhere and build the program up to national contender? IDK about that, but it's just my opinion.
    My disdain for Crean continues to grow after tonight's stunt. No doubt he coached Sheehy to fake the elbow to the head to get the flagrant 1. Couple this with the Nix/Zeller nut shot and you got yourself a real class act.

Nix did hit Zeller in the nuts though?

Nix did hit Zeller in the nuts though?
    With Zeller's help

Wish I knew how to post youtube vids, but here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TxaPP0h-uQ

Max Good

all so one to watch UConn x player and stony brook seahawk coach steve pikel

Izzo
    Pitino
    Donavan
    Self
    Crean
    Stevens
    Ryan
    Boehiem
    Calipari
    Wright

Not in that order....if I had to rate one guy number one it would be close between Izzo and Pitino...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Izzo
    Pitino
    Donavan
    Self
    Crean
    Stevens
    Ryan
    Boehiem
    Calipari
    Wright

Not in that order....if I had to rate one guy number one it would be close between Izzo and Pitino...
    Did you catch the Spartans game Sunday? Izzo got out x and o'ed by Matta. That's pretty hard to do.

Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    top 10

1. Brad Stevens
    2. Bo Ryan
    3. Joe Callero
    4. Rick Majerus
    5. Bob Thomason
    6. Tim Floyd
    7. Kevin Oneil
    8. Jim Larrinaga
    9. Larry Eustachy
    10. Kevin Oneil
    Number four is not around anymore...RIP

Interesting read and some really good coaches mentioned. Had to chuckle no mention of Roy Williams.
    Is he a good in-game coach? Absolutely not. Is he a good recruiter? Top 3 and higher admission standards than Coach Cal. Is the real measurement wins and losses? I think yes. Does 675 wins in 24 seasons, 80% winning %, 7 Final Fours and 2 National Championships get you in a discussion of current Top 10 coaches? Voting yes as all wins vs Big 8 and ACC competition. And no, I`m not a Tar Heel fan. Went to Davidson College.

No Donovan HT? He easily belongs on ant top 10 list.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Allright View Post
    Did i really see Matt Painter's name in this thread?

What about Bill Self?
    bill self is really good

fuck Coach K!

How do you NOT succeed when you get any McDonald's all american you want to come to your school?

I can't stomach their program, MOST of their players don't do a damn thing in the NBA either

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    top 10

1. Brad Stevens
    2. Bo Ryan
    3. Joe Callero
    4. Rick Majerus
    5. Bob Thomason
    6. Tim Floyd
    7. Kevin Oneil
    8. Jim Larrinaga
    9. Larry Eustachy
    10. Kevin Oneil
    All these coaches suck. I would never play for a coach who thinks 60 pts in a game is high octane offense.

As far as Ryan, cannot stand the style of basketball. Do not think basketball is meant to be played that way. Friggan joke. Sure he has made that team and system work.....but not too many athletes are going to want to go to Wiscy, that is for sure.
    He has just proven it? You can't be serious. Nobody with a brain takes Heim
    seriously, and this is not a new devlopment. Heim would get cut from a Special Olympics debate team. Common knowledge.

1. Jim Larranaga
    2. Frank Haith
    3. JT 3
    4. Paul Hewitt
    5. Tubby Smith
    6. Louis Orr
    7. Izzo
    8. Leonard Hamilton
    9. Craig Robinson
    10. Lorenzo Romar
    11. Shaka Smart
    12. Cuonzo Martin
    13. Oliver Purnell
    14. Ray McCallum
    15. Gary Waters

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    fuck Coach K!

How do you NOT succeed when you get any McDonald's all american you want to come to your school?

I can't stomach their program, MOST of their players don't do a damn thing in the NBA either
    Not to mention being over seeded and able to travel to all their tournament games on one tank of gas damn near every year

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow Wilson View Post
    1. Jim Larranaga
    2. Frank Haith
    3. JT 3
    4. Paul Hewitt
    5. Tubby Smith
    6. Louis Orr
    7. Izzo
    8. Leonard Hamilton
    9. Craig Robinson
    10. Lorenzo Romar
    11. Shaka Smart