The Best Coach in College Basketball is......? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

Default Re: The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

Shaka with a muscle flex and seek and destroy mission today for Stevens.

Danny Manning
    David Carter
    Bobby Braswell
    Rodney Terry
    Ed Cooley
    Sidney Johnson
    Tommy Ammaker
    Johnny Dawkins
    Rod Barnes
    Steve Fisher

got to be Izzo, he gets the most out of his guys when its needed. Coach K is great but he also gets top pick of all the best players

the Anthony Brown injury didnt help them. I like Braswell

Greg McDermett
    ​STAY FOCUSED

I change my vote to:

Big East title when they were projected to finish 7th and the leading scorer returning was tubby Gard.

No love here for Mark Few....he is my

Quote Originally Posted by Timely Hero View Post
    I change my vote to:

Big East title when they were projected to finish 7th and the leading scorer returning was tubby Gard.
    I used to play pick-up basketball with Buzz when he was at OCU. He couldn't play a lick. Nice kid!

Stevens, Izzo, top the charts for me

if he ever manages to have his Pitt team be successful deep into March, Jamie Dixon could be up there.

the numbers he has put up over the last decade are spectacular and pretty much unrivaled, but until he gets into the Final 4 a few times and win's a championship it won't be praised too much.

not sure he'll ever really get there because he works with alot less talent than the other top coaches and programs

Other than AA - how can the majority of you keep Matta off a Top Ten List! He can get good players and knows the game. Won with smaller schools and now winning on the big stage. Top 5 for me.

Is it ever a surprise to see Michigan St.--Izzo, Ohio St.--Matta, and Wisky--Ryan, in the Sweert 16 or great 8 every year! Now throw in Indiana--Crean. Until these guys hang it up--Big Ten top to bottom will be the strongest conference period. Michigan--Coach B., and Purdue--Painter and the next tier are not bad either. Except Tubby. Did I mention he has to go (long suffering Gopher fan)!

Interesting discussion. I won't comment authoritatively because I don't follow NCAAB as closely as the NBA(don't maintain data on it) so I couldn't make an objective choice for best coach.

I'm most interested in two questions:

1) how do you define a "good coach"? Is it whoever has the highest win %? Who does the best in March? Who gets the most out of their players? Is it just in game decision making/strategy?

2) how do you think coaches affect their team's probability of winning in basketball?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." -- Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

Brad Stevens now 11-2 in NCAA tourney. His two losses are in title games. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    That's not true. This is the fifth year he has taken Butler to the NCAA Tournament.

In 07-08 he lost to Tennessee (2 seed) in the second round in overtime

In 08-09 he lost to LSU in the first round as a 9 seed

Dana Altman is into my top 5....

Brad Stevens
    Shaka Smart
    Dana Altman

3 great coaches showing why they are.....
    Gregg Marshall also in the conversation. Guy seems to be a great coach who just wins.

Dave Rice on the hotseat, lol
    Bring in Reggie Theus!

Don't forget Izzo - showed again why his team never even faces a scare in the 1st round. So well prepared.

Stevens defensive game planning is just on another level.

Not saying Tommy Amaker belongs in this discussion, but was he just out of his league at Michigan?

12-4

11-2 in the past 4 years.

Amaker was a great recruited but horrendous coach at Michigan. He's a very good recruiter at Harvard but this year came out of no where. Next year was supposed to be the year.

I'd take izzo over any coach in the nation. wonder if he ever makes the jump to the nba? Almost went to the cavs a few years ago if my memory is correct. the year lebron left

Don't forget Izzo - showed again why his team never even faces a scare in the 1st round. So well prepared.

Stevens defensive game planning is just on another level.
    Yeah, Izzo is great. He is top-5, no doubt. Every year it seems like it might take a while, but he almost always puts it together.

Tom Izzo's embrace of Adrien Payne earlier this season was my favorite moment in college basketball this season.

Even with the loss today I still don't think there is anyone even close.
    The inbounds play with like 3 seconds left.... Just amazingly executed basketball (put in a player who hasn't played the whole tournament) that put them in a position to tie/win the game.

I would of loved to have seen a give and go on the inbounds play with 2 seconds left. Not sure if there would have been enough time but I think an open running floater would have been available (although it would have probably been rushed)
    Just clear out to the far side and you had the big man up top.
    The Marquette player guarding the inbounds play would have been too slow to stop it with how tightly he was guarding the pass imo.

Oh Stevens was brilliant today. He out coached my guy Buzz today but Vander made more plays than Rotnei down the stretch - that was the game. In bounds play was incredible, and executed to perfection. I thought Buzz got the best of him on the final play by putting the larger player on Rotnei, and shadowing him from the front side - they forced the ball into Smith and then had the more athletic Wilson on him. I think Buzz knew that there was a good chance they'd go to Smith once he shut down Clarke, and I think Stevens thought they'd get caught napping on the big guy. Well executed game of chess by the coaches down the stretch.

One more time though - Tom Izzo is unreal.

I don't know exactly, but I would guess they scored 8 points off those backdoor lobs once they figured out that passing around the perimeter is not the way to play against Marquette. Butler also overthrew an open lob that would have been another 2.

I do give Buzz a lot of credit for the pressure D, they gameplaned very well in that respect, it created enough turnovers and I think those easy easy points off turnovers lead to the win.

It will be interesting watching Miami (if they win tomorrow). I think Miami has the edge almost everywhere vs Marquette. Buzz is going to have to pull off a hell of a coaching job to win that game.
    You can't count Marquette out, though. They can battle

I think Miami will try to get dirty with Marquette which would be a plus. Marquette has a highly skilled big (and fat), and a big athletic big to neutralize Miami's post edge. The key might be the ability of Junior to stay in front of Larkin. Junior is a strong, tough and physical point guard. He will try and get in Larkins face and neutralize the speed edge. Jamil Wilson is the wild card in the game - he is kind of a tweener for Miami to have to guard. Kadji is athletic, but he's not as quick as Jamil. The players call Jamil the best player on the team, and it's possible that he has the best game, but I think Vander Blue needs to be the best player on the floor again for Marquette to win. So I give the edge to Miami, but it should be exciting if Miami tries to grind out a defensive battle vs Marquette.

The big apple

Tom Izzo always has his boys prepared and his resume and accomplishments speak for themselves...

Stevens is a magician who makes all the right adjustments and gameplans.

Coach K is the man..

Grading college basketball coaches is one of the key to finding pointspread winners.

Matt Youmans of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Mike Montgomery schooled Dave Rice in California's win over UNLV.

I love betting smart coaches in the role of an underdog.

Was surprised Butler's final shot was so poor, especially since it was coming off a Brad Stevens timeout. Feels like Butler scores 75% of the time after a Stevens timeout. He seems to know what his team is doing wrong, how they can fix it, and what plays will have the best chance of working.

If every team had equal talent, I don't think there is any coach I would rather have than Brad Stevens to win it all.

It's tiresome about Rice and his inadequacies...players are taught the fundamentals at
    lower levels. I've heard Rice talk on his show many a time in the afternoon he knows
    basketball. The problem is the players didn't know their roles and Rice and mostly
    his assistants didn't do a good job defining it. They have three guys with a two guard
    mentality thrown into a pg position. #3s playing #4 and so forth. They brought in a
    bunch of guys that were really mismatched. This isn't the NFL draft where the best
    athlete wins out. Stevens gets it. His best athletes don't always start & seldom does
    he use players out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    Interesting discussion. I won't comment authoritatively because I don't follow NCAAB as closely as the NBA(don't maintain data on it) so I couldn't make an objective choice for best coach.

I'm most interested in two questions:

1) how do you define a "good coach"? Is it whoever has the highest win %? Who does the best in March? Who gets the most out of their players? Is it just in game decision making/strategy?

2) how do you think coaches affect their team's probability of winning in basketball?

Nobody ever addressed what distinguishes the great coaches from the average ones (pretty much everyone). I think Buzz is above average, but right now Stevens is the best. He is one of the few coaches in college or pro sports I can think of who makes every decision with the absolute intent of maximizing his team's probability of winning (Belichick, Popovich are the only two who immediately come to mind).

This article about his objective approach to letting the evidence inform his decisions instead of ignoring the data that they don't intuitively agree with/understand like most pro coaches is a clear example of his edge over his peers: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-co...cannon-butler/.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." -- Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

Is there a website that tracks NBA player +/-? Would be interested in seeing that.

Set plays, winning with lesser talent, and being able to beat more athletic/talented teams with discipline and thorough game plans. I'll address it more later Tim, big it's actually quantifiable to an extent in college basketball. Buzz is a very good game planner, talent developer, and practice coach. His players reach their maximum potential and give great effort. His set plays and in-game coaching are average.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Nobody ever addressed what distinguishes the great coaches from the average ones (pretty much everyone). I think Buzz is above average, but right now Stevens is the best. He is one of the few coaches in college or pro sports I can think of who makes every decision with the absolute intent of maximizing his team's probability of winning (Belichick, Popovich are the only two who immediately come to mind).

This article about his objective approach to letting the evidence inform his decisions instead of ignoring the data that they don't intuitively agree with/understand like most pro coaches is a clear example of his edge over his peers: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-co...cannon-butler/.
    One other thing that must be factored in is the ability to recruit. Bill Carmody could be a great in-game coach and get the very best of his players, but he also has a hand in making a program attractive for future players.

buzz

Well Brad Stevens is off to a pretty good start ats wise, 13-9 ats with the Celtics.

Dana Altman is a great coach. Calls a timeout and sets a motion into a pick and roll that is wide open. Then next time down runs a picket fence type set for another wide open 3.

Going to be tough to beat UCLA and Arizona, but this is a good team imo.
    "Once you in it, you in it. If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie, but we gotta fight"
    -Slim Charles (also the new motto of pregame.com)