The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

Default The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

It took me a little while to come around and anoint him as the best coach in the country, and I admittedly have a different criteria than most. To put it in perspective, my #1 and #1a coaches have been:

#1 - Izzo
    #1a - Coach K

For about 10 years now. I always put Izzo on top because I hate Duke and can't stand Coach K - that being said, he held the crown for quite some time.

Both coaches have been moved down to #2 and #2a IMO, and by a guy nearly 1/2 their age. The best coach in the country is...

I'll start off by saying that being in the mid-west as a basketball school is like being in the south and a football school - you have a bit of an edge as a program out of the gate. With that being said, I have more respect for what Stevens has done at Butler than what Few has done to Gonzaga. Both have built their programs into national powers from pretty much your usual above average mid-major program. Spokane Washington is a bit easier of a sell than Indianapolis - the city where nothing happens. Few never faced the struggle of having 2 much bigger programs in his own state. There was no Indiana or Notre Dame. Few wasn't 30 years old when he took over either, but both have shown the ability to maintain their success - warranted Few has done so quite a bit longer.

Stevens has proven that it's him that made Butler great, nothing else. Collier made them a conference champion on occasion and your typical 1st round and done mid-major in the 90's. Matta took over a loaded Collier roster and won them their first tournament game in the modern tournament format then quickly left for a better job. Lickliter came in and got to the sweet 16, but he was what we call at the mid-major level a cycle coach. It's not a bad thing, but you're going to do nothing better than the Sweet 16. You bring in one nice recruiting class that stays all four years, by their 3rd year you're a tournament bubble team and by your 4th year they're a dangerous team to watch for in the tournament and then they leave, and the cycle occurs again. 2 more years of bad, and then 1 year of OK and 1 year of good. Your hope is that in that one year, you pull a George Mason and make the most of it.

Then came Stevens. Young, inexperienced, but he knew the team. He inherited a very good team, but a very good Lickliter team meaning limited. His first year he got hosed by the selection committee and they put a very good Butler team, with 30 wins, as a 7 seed. They ended up running into an absolutely stacked Tennessee team (2 seed) in the 2nd round. That team had Lofton, the 3 Smith's and Chism/Prince - just a loaded roster. Butler took them to OT before finally falling. If they didn't get a terrible draw, that's probably your elite 8 game. His second year he lost most of Lickliter's players, and somehow made the tournament with an extremely young team - led by sophomore Matt Howard and some young freshman named Gordon Heyward. The team battled but lost in the 1st round of the tournament; once again, making the tournament but this time in what's supposed to be a transition year in mid-major basketball, which are usually bad. We all know what happened the next two years - back-to-back title game appearances. But this year might be his most impressive job so far. This team was supposed to need one more year which is why I wouldn't have had Stevens at the top of my list going into the year. If he needed 2 years to get his program back up after making 2 title games then he was Dana Altman - a damn good coach but not a program builder. This year has proven that he is a program builder, and from the way things look he'll be there for a long time. Given that the program is going to join, more than likely, an all basketball league that will pay coaches and support programs to the fullest with the rest of the Big East, Butler may one day become a destination job and if it is it'll be because Brad Stevens made it that.

Now that I say all that he'll probably miss the tournament, leave for Iowa and be Laurence Frank's assistant when he's 50. In all honesty though, if he didn't leave after the 2 titles when would he leave.*

* disclaimer: I said the same thing about Crean as a Marquette fan. Well.... if he isn't going to leave and take the Kentucky job when they offered it there's no other job better so he's not leaving. Then Indiana called.

Default Re: The Best Coach in College Basketball is......?

do u got any better things to do holy fuck ?

is this what they teach u in school and u do essays on that ??

Love Brad Stevens, hard to argue against him, but if there is one guy that can turn a program around in a hurry and make it into a powerhouse it is Calipari. Loses his entire roster almost every year at Kentucky and they still have never been worse than an Elite 8 team his first three years. This year is a struggle so far, but he will make the tournament and from there who knows (his Final Four team two years ago wasn't supposed to be that great in a transition year)

Stevens/Coach K/Coach Cal would definitely be my top three though. Crean and Izzo round out the top five

you saw yesterday why Bo Ryan is the best...I can't remember the last time he got a McDonald's
    AA. Stevens is good and they do move forward in the tourneys however he beat up on Horizon
    foes for many years.

Coach K..come on now

Pitino must be in the top five...

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    you saw yesterday why Bo Ryan is the best...I can't remember the last time he got a McDonald's
    AA. Stevens is good and they do move forward in the tourneys however he beat up on Horizon
    foes for many years.

Coach K..come on now
    Bo Ryan can't get anywhere in the tournament. Winning in the tournament is part of being great. How many McDonald's AA is Stevens bringing in?

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    foes for many years.

Coach K..come on now
    Good call Heim. Ryan does more with less than any other AQ conf coach in cbb. Every year his teams are written off yet there they are grinding out wins by playing hard and dictating tempo. He trails only Kansas, Duke and MSU for consecutive tourney appearances and I believe Wisconsin holds the current streak for winning at least one tourney game at 6 years. Last nights win tied him with John Wooden on the career wins list.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldoveanu View Post
    do u got any better things to do holy fuck ?

is this what they teach u in school and u do essays on that ??
    It took me as long to write that as it took you to write your post here.

u mean copy and paste all this

Quote Originally Posted by Moldoveanu View Post
    u mean copy and paste all this
    No, I wrote it. There are probably plenty of mistakes. It doesn't take me very long to write things like that, maybe 5 minutes.

I agree. Stevens is the best. I really don't think anyone is even close.

Lon Kruger
    Steve Alford
    Dana Altman
    Buzz Williams
    Matt Painter

All great hires imo

Anybody know the status of Rodney Clarke?

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    I agree. Stevens is the best. I really don't think anyone is even close.

Lon Kruger
    Steve Alford
    Dana Altman
    Buzz Williams
    Matt Painter

All great hires imo

Kruger? You can't be serious.

It is stupid to measure a coach on wins and losses. You a measure a coach by getting the most out of his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    It is stupid to measure a coach on wins and losses. You a measure a coach by getting the most out of his talent.

spoken line someone that can't stand Coach K.... college coaches are measured one way... wins and losses...

Stevens is awfully good.

Bo Ryan is not too far off. Izzo in the discussion, too, for willing teams to wins.

I tend to agree w/ ABoston that the big names are not great coaches.

Which is a big reason I have Stevens ahead of others. By the way though, being able to recruit talent part of a college coaches job so getting the best shouldn't be a detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyG View Post
    Stevens is awfully good.

Bo Ryan is not too far off. Izzo in the discussion, too, for willing teams to wins.

I tend to agree w/ ABoston that the big names are not great coaches.
    I do too, but it's tough to argue with Coach K at this point. Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach Cal and etc are incredible recruiters. They're mediocre teachers of the game, IMO. Coach K is a combination of great recruiter and + teacher.

Izzo is a great coach. I think he would succeed in the NBA as well.

Every game I watch of Butler's the game plan is played out to a T. They don't skip a beat without their best player. They just maintain composure and stick to the system so well. He's an incredible game planner and in-game coach. A rare combination.

I'd like to see the game tape of Butler-UNC. I mean, there is no overlap of talent there.

Stevens has many feathers in his cap, at this point. Knocking off UNC/Ind this year = very impressive.

Some good calls in here. AB has bashed Coach K for years but that makes little sense. Coach K has done a lot of good things and is incredibly consistent. Pitino is clearly near the top. A lot of people hate Calipiri but he is one of the best. Not only does he recruit but he gets them to win with new players every year. He took Umass from the worst to top 10. All great coaches.

I am a big fan of Dana Altman of Oregon formerly of Creighton. Watched him since before the Nate Funk days at Creighton until today. Another brilliant coach.

Bo Ryan is a heck of a coach but slowing the game down like that and mucking and grinding all the time you lose a little there. Basketball is meant to be played fast...NOT SLOW.
    He has just proven it? You can't be serious. Nobody with a brain takes Heim
    seriously, and this is not a new devlopment. Heim would get cut from a Special Olympics debate team. Common knowledge.

Blog Entries

Did i really see Matt Painter's name in this thread?

What about Bill Self?

Quote Originally Posted by Timely Hero View Post
    I do too, but it's tough to argue with Coach K at this point. Roy Williams, Bill Self, Coach Cal and etc are incredible recruiters. They're mediocre teachers of the game, IMO. Coach K is a combination of great recruiter and + teacher.

Izzo is a great coach. I think he would succeed in the NBA as well.

Every game I watch of Butler's the game plan is played out to a T. They don't skip a beat without their best player. They just maintain composure and stick to the system so well. He's an incredible game planner and in-game coach. A rare combination.
    I actually think Bill Self is right at the top of the list. Along with being a great recruiter, I do think the man can teach the game. His teams are always swarming on defense and are typically among the best rebounding teams in the country every year. When Illinois went to the final game a few years back, it was all of Bill Self's recruits and had he still been there instead of goofy Weber, they probably would have beaten UNC.

I admit that I am kind of a Bill Self hater - he definitely belongs on the list. I don't think he's a great game-day coach, he's lost a lot of games early in tournaments to lesser teams, but I think he's a good coach a good teacher (as you pointed out) and he wins.

As for Altman, he's a damn good coach but he's not a program builder.

SportsOptions/Line up with the pros

It’s time for Florida coach Billy Donovan to be recognized among college basketball’s elite.

Donovan, now in his 17th year in Gainesville, is a mere two wins away from his 400thvictory as the Gators head basketball coach. His overall record, including two years at Marshall, is 433-180.

During his tenure at Florida, the Gators have won back-to back national titles (2006-2007) and appeared in 11 NCCA tournaments, including three championship games and four Elite Eight appearances in the past seven seasons. According to the University of Florida Athletic site Gatorzone, his .737 career winning percentage (28-10) in the NCAA Tournament ranks third among active coaches, trailing only Mike Krzyzewski and Roy Williams.

Donovan’s teams have also won four SEC championships and captured three consecutive SEC tournament titles from 2005-2007.

Perhaps most impressive is that Donovan has had an astonishing 14 NBA draft picks compared to the national average of 1.7 among active NCAA coaches, according to the site StatSheet.com. No less than five of his former assistants are now head coaches in Division I NCAA basketball (Larry Shyatt, Wyoming; Anthony Grant, Alabama; Donnie Jones, University of Central Florida; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth University and Rick Pitino Jr., Florida International).

Donovan, now in his 17th year in Gainesville, is a mere two wins away from his 400thvictory as the Gators head basketball coach. His overall record, including two years at Marshall, is 433-180.

During his tenure at Florida, the Gators have won back-to back national titles (2006-2007) and appeared in 11 NCCA tournaments, including three championship games and four Elite Eight appearances in the past seven seasons. According to the University of Florida Athletic site Gatorzone, his .737 career winning percentage (28-10) in the NCAA Tournament ranks third among active coaches, trailing only Mike Krzyzewski and Roy Williams.
    Donovan’s teams have also won four SEC championships and captured three consecutive SEC tournament titles from 2005-2007.

Perhaps most impressive is that Donovan has had an astonishing 14 NBA draft picks compared to the national average of 1.7 among active NCAA coaches, according to the site StatSheet.com. No less than five of his former assistants are now head coaches in Division I NCAA basketball (Larry Shyatt, Wyoming; Anthony Grant, Alabama; Donnie Jones, University of Central Florida; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth University and Rick Pitino Jr., Florida International).
    Yet, Donovan inexplicably continues to fly under the national radar. Only once, in 2011, did he receive SEC Coach of the Year honors and he's never been recognized as a National Coach of the Year.

His reign at Florida has been virtually squeaky clean and other than a brief flirtation with the Orlando Magic in 2007, he has managed to avoid any kind of controversy. It is fair game to ask if the Gator Nation fully appreciates all it has with Donovan. Crowds at the O’Connell Center are far from sellouts, but Donovan continues to steadily steward one of the nation’s elite basketball programs at a so-called “football school.”

With all due respect to Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer, it is Billy Donovan who may be most deserving of the title “Best Gator Coach” in the school’s history.

At age 47, it is time for Gator fans, and more importantly the national media, to drop the moniker “Billy the Kid” and recognize Donovan’s achievements as one of college basketball’s preeminent coaches.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ketballs-elite

[QUOTE=TomBrady#1;3685092]Some good calls in here. AB has bashed Coach K for years but that makes little sense. Coach K has done a lot of good things and is incredibly consistent. Pitino is clearly near the top. A lot of people hate Calipiri but he is one of the best. Not only does he recruit but he gets them to win with new players every year. He took Umass from the worst to top 10. All great coaches.

If you're refering to me whan you say AB then you're clueless... I've never bashed Coach K. Railbird hates him, not me. As far as Calipari goes, he can coach. And he also cheats as evidenced by his stints as UMass and Memphis... for that reason I can't list him on the same level as Coach K. What K has done at Duke is unreal considering the academic standards there.

I would say Tubby. He has been great everywhere he has coached, and is a hell of a recruiter.

Who the hell is getting the talent numnuts? The coach.

[QUOTE=ArchieBunker;3685283]
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrady#1 View Post
    Some good calls in here. AB has bashed Coach K for years but that makes little sense. Coach K has done a lot of good things and is incredibly consistent. Pitino is clearly near the top. A lot of people hate Calipiri but he is one of the best. Not only does he recruit but he gets them to win with new players every year. He took Umass from the worst to top 10. All great coaches.

If you're refering to me whan you say AB then you're clueless... I've never bashed Coach K. Railbird hates him, not me. As far as Calipari goes, he can coach. And he also cheats as evidenced by his stints as UMass and Memphis... for that reason I can't list him on the same level as Coach K. What K has done at Duke is unreal considering the academic standards there.
    Sorry I meant ALan Boston a well known coach K basher.
    He has just proven it? You can't be serious. Nobody with a brain takes Heim
    seriously, and this is not a new devlopment. Heim would get cut from a Special Olympics debate team. Common knowledge.

Food & Beverage Chairman Doughy's Avatar

What, no love for Shaka Smart?

Another young coach like Stevens who is on a path to greatness.
    "It starts with a whistle...and ends with a gun." - John Facenda

Among great coaches there is no order.

I liked Inky's list.

Like Timely wrote, Stevens is hard to beat.

Back-to-back national championship finalist.

Incredible.

Gotta love The Butler Way.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    What, no love for Shaka Smart?

Another young coach like Stevens who is on a path to greatness.
    Shaka Smart won a national title at Florida as an assistant under Billy Donovan.

stevens

I'm a greenhorn in college basketball but last season Alan Boston mentioned that Louisville's Rick Petino,s short comings were admirally bolstered by the recent arrival of some coach from I think Holy Cross. Apparently he's some sort of defensive guru which fits well with Petino and they seemed to over-achieve in the madness.

Is he still there? may be they're a dark horse this year, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by WINBET View Post
    I'm a greenhorn in college basketball but last season Alan Boston mentioned that Louisville's Rick Petino,s short comings were admirally bolstered by the recent arrival of some coach from I think Holy Cross. Apparently he's some sort of defensive guru which fits well with Petino and they seemed to over-achieve in the madness.

Is he still there? may be they're a dark horse this year, anyone know?
    just checked out the results. looks like I'm a little late for that train.