Opinion - If books post a bad line, should they be allowed to cancel bets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion - If books post a bad line, should they be allowed to cancel bets?

Default Opinion - If books post a bad line, should they be allowed to cancel bets?

We've all had it happen before, we see a bad line and make a large bet on it. When the books discover it they cancel the bet. This has happened with live lines and the bets being cancelled after the game is finished.

Should books be allowed to do this?

My answer is NO they should not be allowed to cancel bets, especially when they don't realize the error until after the game is finished. I have made the odd mistake when placing bets (taking the wrong side, a zero misplaced etc.) I have written the book and told them my mistake but they have said, "you hit the confirm button' and should have double checked. They are correct, I made a mistake and have to live with it so the double standard is incorrect in my eyes.

Default Re: Opinion - If books post a bad line, should they be allowed to cancel bets?

before game has started - YES
    after game has started - NO

Default Re: Opinion - If books post a bad line, should they be allowed to cancel bets?

If the line is noticably bad, you shouldnt be playing it in the first place

Let's be fair...

Boston is -3 everywhere but you see one -13

Do you think if you take the dog at +13 it should be a legit bet ?

Hardly... NO
    "White Folk's Greed Runs a World In Need..."

Another Day, Another Dollar The General's Avatar

Sportbook should not sit on it and wait for outcome. Tough cases to handle when the dispute arises.
    When asked generally about recruiting and cheating in the NCAA, the 67-year-old Coach Bob Knight didn't mince words. "In college basketball, if you get caught cheating, they should shoot you because you're too dumb to be alive," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    Let's be fair...

Boston is -3 everywhere but you see one -13

Do you think if you take the dog at +13 it should be a legit bet ?

Hardly... NO
    You're right but I can guarantee you there is a joe blow out there who will take them at -13 because he doesn't know any better. There are some bettors who don't live on the forums 10 hours a day and just bet recreationally.

Some people could have thought Miami +1.5 vs the Lakers was a mistake line because the Heat could have been favored by 10.5.

hels , what broke Sammy from auto taking 'bad lines'

I got fukked on a scalp a long time ago... Yup the 'good line' lost - 'bad lines' won

'bad lines' got voided
    "White Folk's Greed Runs a World In Need..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    hels , what broke Sammy from auto taking 'bad lines'

I got fukked on a scalp a long time ago... Yup the 'good line' lost - 'bad lines' won

'bad lines' got voided
    Sorry to hear that Sammy. I've heard of that situation happening before where books voided one side and didn't void the losing side.

Books are scum sometimes. That's why I believe 'mistakes' made by books should not allow any voiding at all. Certainly the books have protocols to 'confirm' their lines before being open to the public?

There is no excuse for them not to catch it and void it before hand. Any idiot can watch whatever bet tracking system they have and see 100% money coming in on one side. If they don't have a competent enough monkey to void them before hand then they deserve to lose. I don't even care if its one of those stupid ones like a team that is -50 and they put it backwards and make them +50.

Not that it really matters any ways as the books win every dispute.

If a book puts a line on something and they confirm the bet..... there should be no "voiding" of any kind.

The odds these books put out are an absolute joke on many props/futures (and the books are pretty much stealing) and for every once in a while a book puts out a great bet for the player they have the ability to just void it.... lol

I would not recommend playing these rogue lines unless you are in Nevada.
    Online they will most likely just void it and then you will have to deal with that.

If the bet is accepted it should be honored IMO
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." -- Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

Every book includes this in their "rules" yes they should be able to cancel as long as it is confirmed as a "bad line"

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    If the bet is accepted it should be honored IMO
    +1

EOG Senior Member

I used to call on error lines and let them know. The books should reward those callers
    with a token free play of at least $20. A lot of them don't and that's just plain dumb.
    I don't call those books back. I don't bet the line but they have to deal with all the other
    shot takers who do. Giving a free play is a good idea.

In LV I just bet the crap out of it and let them figure it out unless it's a place like
    LVH or Coast who treats the players fairly. Places like Harrahs, MGM, Icahn and Station just
    have to pay the price for being shot takers themselves.

i'm not afraid to admit that i am open to taking full advantage of books that are dumb enough to not pay due diligence when it comes to this very thing.

SIA, i still remember when they allowed you to parlay NFL Season division winners with the same team o/u Season wins. And then i'll never forget the few month period they allowed you to parlay NBA spreads with the same team's ML.

Greek is also notorious for keeping their "live" and 2nd half wagers up on the board 3-4 minutes into the 3rd quarter. I have placed many a wager on a teams TT, spread, total based on this small gift.

Do i feel bad about it? Get the fuck outta here
    I Heart The Purple....

I'm surprised that the books don't include in the fine print, that any player who is caught taking advantage of bad lines produced by "insert whatever bullshit reason", will have ALL funds confiscated and will be forbidden to ever play again.

Then if i were the book i would just dangle these from time to time because to most people (like me) it is impossible to just let them slide
    I Heart The Purple....

There are players that only check lines for bad ones and then these 50 buck a bet guys turn into 500 dollar players....when I was working I would always offer a free play to anyone who would point out a bad line, a simple thank you and here is your free play...and then I would go back and see who was betting the bad line and I would contact them and give them a choice...either cancel your bet or I will cut off your internet privileges and make you call your future wagers in by phone....this did the trick...

That being said, it is up to the books to doublecheck what you put up in the evening or morning...but books do make mistakes and hopefully not many....

WTF, you guys find a bad line and gleefully bet it?
    And your excuse is to imagine (not prove) that the books do it?

Suppose a disgruntled employee, or just an employee in cahoots, posts a -1000 line as a +1,000,000 line, and a friend bets it. Book should pay?

Refrain from stealing to maintain your own self-respect. The book's got nothing to do with it: refrain from stealing for your own self-respect.

But one thing I know about thieves: they really work to convince themselves that everyone else steals, so they may as well, too. And they also work hard to convince themselves it isn't stealing, when they bet a wrong line, or past post someone, or bet a wrongly allowed correlated parlay, or beard in to circumvent limits or bootings.

Scumbags gonna scumbag.

Same rule for customers and book.

Can a customer void a bet if he finds that it's much worse than market line?

Book the bet, pay the bet.

Quote Originally Posted by choslamshe View Post

Greek is also notorious for keeping their "live" and 2nd half wagers up on the board 3-4 minutes into the 3rd quarter. I have placed many a wager on a teams TT, spread, total based on this small gift.
    do they still do that?

Another Day, Another Dollar The General's Avatar

Several of the old gang I ran with here will recall a book called TropicalBet. These guys were most definately the worst bookmakers to ever take a chance in the buisness. Back in 2000, I sent them a few bucks to help a website called Freewinners. What I found were the best lines in the world. Bad lines, yes, but these guys paid. I'm not proud of some of my bets, esp horse races after the results. These guys paid though. It was incredible. I sent a few buddies in there and we cleaned up as long as we could. I made about 6 dimes betting not so big wagers, but finally they called me and said I was to sharp for them and I was cut-off. Not soon after, the doors closed. The moral of the story: I was not in anyway sharp, they just hung numbers that were 50 points off at times. I would not do that today, but back then I was a little more inexeperienced.
    When asked generally about recruiting and cheating in the NCAA, the 67-year-old Coach Bob Knight didn't mince words. "In college basketball, if you get caught cheating, they should shoot you because you're too dumb to be alive," he said.

its funny that 5 dimes would post 10-15 bad lines a week, meanwhile I have yet to see my pph post a bad line in 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    its funny that 5 dimes would post 10-15 bad lines a week, meanwhile I have yet to see my pph post a bad line in 6 months.

Hey Rail,

Can you hook me up with your pph? The lines you're always getting are better than anywhere else on the internet. And having an out that lets you bet an hour after the game starts would be great. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    I'm not proud of some of my bets, esp horse races after the results. These guys paid though. It was incredible. I sent a few buddies in there and we cleaned up .
    Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    There are players that only check lines for bad ones .
    Without a doubt these are the same guys who whine when a dept store over charges them 2 dollars for an item, but by the same token if an item is priced lower in error they will argue and demand to talk with the MGR to get the item at the incorrect lower price.

The great things about threads like this is that you can really learn a lot about certain posters... either you have a moral compass or you don't. It's just that when it comes to gambling a lot of people like to try to justify themselves when they know that they're stealing. It's not the amount, it's about whether or not you think that if your'e caught there will be a penalty for being a scumbag.

Head Fucking Moderator Bitch NES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    There are players that only check lines for bad ones and then these 50 buck a bet guys turn into 500 dollar players....when I was working I would always offer a free play to anyone who would point out a bad line, a simple thank you and here is your free play...and then I would go back and see who was betting the bad line and I would contact them and give them a choice...either cancel your bet or I will cut off your internet privileges and make you call your future wagers in by phone....this did the trick...

That being said, it is up to the books to doublecheck what you put up in the evening or morning...but books do make mistakes and hopefully not many....
    Well said on all accounts as usual VD. Question though, what if the guy calling in the error was a credit player? Did you give them free plays too?

You just add 50 bucks to his account, if you had the access....what I meant by a free play was that a small post up player would always get the free play and the credit player usually 50 bucks....didn't like giving free plays to the credit guys.....good question Nes...

Head Fucking Moderator Bitch NES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It kinda puts you in a tough position when you are writing business for somebody whether it be some sort of split deal or pph. If the book where I had my sheet made a mistake I'm not sure how I would feel about them making me eat half of the reward money.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieBunker View Post
    The great things about threads like this is that you can really learn a lot about certain posters... either you have a moral compass or you don't. It's just that when it comes to gambling a lot of people like to try to justify themselves when they know that they're stealing. It's not the amount, it's about whether or not you think that if your'e caught there will be a penalty for being a scumbag.
    LOL, fuck your life pal.
    I Heart The Purple....

What happens if you fat finger an order when you're trading electronically in the financial markets and immediately get picked off? Do you call the exchange or your clearing firm and bitch and moan about the injustice of it all or do you learn your lesson and vow to be more careful in the future?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." -- Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishTim View Post
    What happens if you fat finger an order when you're trading electronically in the financial markets and immediately get picked off? Do you call the exchange or your clearing firm and bitch and moan about the injustice of it all or do you learn your lesson and vow to be more careful in the future?
    Option B.

We all are responsible for our own actions. We are all responsible to deal with the rewards/consequences as they come. Simple
    I Heart The Purple....

Quote Originally Posted by choslamshe View Post
    Option B.

We all are responsible for our own actions. We are all responsible to deal with the rewards/consequences as they come. Simple
    No, fuck your life... You're a thief... nothing more, nothing less. It's just good to know what you actually are in case you ever need a favor.

The opening odds start here jimmythegreek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    before game has started - YES
    after game has started - NO

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieBunker View Post
    No, fuck your life... You're a thief... nothing more, nothing less. It's just good to know what you actually are in case you ever need a favor.
    bwhahahhaa,

i'm smart, beautiful, rich...why the fuck would i ever look to archie the queerbie poster at EOG for a favor in life???? What a dickweed.
    I Heart The Purple....