Just realizing there is not much difference between store brand and name brand products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just realizing there is not much difference between store brand and name brand products

I am the one who knocks avonbarksdale's Avatar

Default Just realizing there is not much difference between store brand and name brand products

no more overspending

getting dat kroger cheese

kroger chips n salsa

kroger needs to start brewing some beer

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Default Re: Just realizing there is not much difference between store brand and name brand products

Much of the generic brands are made by the big companies.

Default Re: Just realizing there is not much difference between store brand and name brand products

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Much of the generic brands are made by the big companies.
    Yep... Was just going to say this.
    all plays posted on twitter @gthenv

Check where each product is made. That is how you tell if brand/store name products are the same shit with a different label.

Wal-Mart is Wal-Mart, com'on

all depends on the product. for shampoo it probably doesn't make much difference, but i have tried plenty of off-brand foods and other products that really aren't good. yes a lot of them are made by the same company, but try scotch tape and try really cheap dollar store tape and tell me they're the same.

like op said, kroger cheese and salsa is probably pretty similar to others, off-brand drugs/listerine/etc are usually exactly the same.

I'm sure Fishmush and Wantitall will be in here soon to educate on this.

Those 2 seem to always know the best ways to live cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by avonbarksdale View Post
    no more overspending

getting dat kroger cheese

kroger chips n salsa

kroger needs to start brewing some beer
    when it comes to 90% of the food products you couldn't be further from the truth.esp cheese. yes the big mfc's make most of the private label products in your grocery store and for the food service distribution company's but the ingredients are night and day. ie: Kroger cheese has a high oil content where as a Cabot Cheddar block has no oil content. Yes its twice the cost but the quality is far superior. Lots of games are played with private labeling, not by the mfc's, but by the company who has them make their formula. The mfc will make whatever you want as long as they meet USDA mfc specs in both labeling (key word here) and in the mfcering of the product itself. And don't get me started on private label pasta.
    Not to be disrespectful but I have been fighting this fight for the last 25 years.

I think it's a coinflip. But I've tried some off brand products and found they are better.

Quote Originally Posted by shackfu99 View Post
    when it comes to 90% of the food products you couldn't be further from the truth.esp cheese. yes the big mfc's make most of the private label products in your grocery store and for the food service distribution company's but the ingredients are night and day. ie: Kroger cheese has a high oil content where as a Cabot Cheddar block has no oil content. Yes its twice the cost but the quality is far superior. Lots of games are played with private labeling, not by the mfc's, but by the company who has them make their formula. The mfc will make whatever you want as long as they meet USDA mfc specs in both labeling (key word here) and in the mfcering of the product itself. And don't get me started on private label pasta.
    Not to be disrespectful but I have been fighting this fight for the last 25 years.
    can u expand on the pasta and other products.

im interested in this

kroger cheese is that anything like reagan cheese

can u expand on the pasta and other products.

im interested in this
    If your buying a pasta and it doesn't say Durum Wheat put it back. You want a pasta with 1st ingredient durum wheat. Then you can get into the quality of durum wheat. There are good ones and bad one's. Italy has a law that state's in part if your caught selling or exporting a none durum wheat pasta you can go to jail for a min of 5yrs". I think it's 5 years.
    The biggest games are played in canned goods and seafood. Can good labeling can include just about anything a still be consider the product it says it is. ie: green beans you can put shitty black spotted green beans in a can with a lot of water and what you have is a can of green bean flavored water. Pork n beans are probably the worst. Lots of particulates can be in a can and it still pass USDA specs for labeling. By particulates I mean "dead bugs, stem fractures, dirt, etc..."
    Fresh or frozen seafood is called the industry of thieves by companies like the one I work for. Not that all fish mongers are thieve's but most are. I can make the crappiest fresh scallops or oysters look like gold for 10 minutes with a little phosphate solution and an upside down can. Phosphate makes them blow up because it absorbs water so a 20/30 ct scallop looks like a 10/20 ct ( which is $10-$15 more per gallon). If you pan sear them and they shrink you have a "Wet" or chemical added scallop. You only want to buy "Dry" scallops. They are chem free. If it's an IQF product it doesn't matter to most people as long as it is dry. For years mfc's would cut skate fins and pass them off as scallops. That really doesn't happen anymore but it's one of the games these guys played.
    Fresh fish at you local restaurant. How do know it's a fresh fillet? What day was it caught and processed? Was it processed on the boat at sea or on the dock when the boat got back? If at sea or on land was it processed under strict HAACP guidelines?Guess what if it was was processed on land it was frozen on the boat. Unless I see the fish moving then cut up by the chef, it really ain't all that fresh. Sometimes it could be a week old by the time you order it at your table.
    You mentioned Kroger chips. They are made with a cheap all purpose flour with chemicals added to preserve them. Did they kinda taste like a "Tostido" from Frito Lay? A real, quality made chips is made with Maseca corn flour form Mexico. There is no substitute. Believe me we tried to have a company make cheap tortilla's and cut chips. Our Latino customer's laughed us out the door and told us to send the good one's we used to send. Look for La Bandorita brand. Real quality product. It wont get rubbery or stick together where they tear when you try to pull them apart. They might not have their retail cut chips out yet but they are coming to the grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by zjohnzzz View Post
    kroger cheese is that anything like reagan cheese
    Its not quit that bad but still pretty crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by The X View Post
    I think it's a coinflip. But I've tried some off brand products and found they are better.
    Some are but you never know what is really in the box. ie:Tyson #3721is a great chick tender ( they have a 1000 of them) that is a real quality product. They also pack it in a distributor's box for a private label. So in that case yes it is the same exact product with a little better price to the restaurant. But for the majority of there other products we would give them a spec to get as close as we can to their item. So we have them add a little more breading, salt,etc... to cheapen it.

generic hot pockets don't taste nothing like real hot pockets.... and that angers me...
    when you have god on your team... You can't lose.. You have already won...

Food I go with the generic brand. When buying clothes I usually go with a better product not just the cheaper product.

If your buying a pasta and it doesn't say Durum Wheat put it back. You want a pasta with 1st ingredient durum wheat. Then you can get into the quality of durum wheat. There are good ones and bad one's. Italy has a law that state's in part if your caught selling or exporting a none durum wheat pasta you can go to jail for a min of 5yrs". I think it's 5 years.
    The biggest games are played in canned goods and seafood. Can good labeling can include just about anything a still be consider the product it says it is. ie: green beans you can put shitty black spotted green beans in a can with a lot of water and what you have is a can of green bean flavored water. Pork n beans are probably the worst. Lots of particulates can be in a can and it still pass USDA specs for labeling. By particulates I mean "dead bugs, stem fractures, dirt, etc..."
    Fresh or frozen seafood is called the industry of thieves by companies like the one I work for. Not that all fish mongers are thieve's but most are. I can make the crappiest fresh scallops or oysters look like gold for 10 minutes with a little phosphate solution and an upside down can. Phosphate makes them blow up because it absorbs water so a 20/30 ct scallop looks like a 10/20 ct ( which is $10-$15 more per gallon). If you pan sear them and they shrink you have a "Wet" or chemical added scallop. You only want to buy "Dry" scallops. They are chem free. If it's an IQF product it doesn't matter to most people as long as it is dry. For years mfc's would cut skate fins and pass them off as scallops. That really doesn't happen anymore but it's one of the games these guys played.
    Fresh fish at you local restaurant. How do know it's a fresh fillet? What day was it caught and processed? Was it processed on the boat at sea or on the dock when the boat got back? If at sea or on land was it processed under strict HAACP guidelines?Guess what if it was was processed on land it was frozen on the boat. Unless I see the fish moving then cut up by the chef, it really ain't all that fresh. Sometimes it could be a week old by the time you order it at your table.
    You mentioned Kroger chips. They are made with a cheap all purpose flour with chemicals added to preserve them. Did they kinda taste like a "Tostido" from Frito Lay? A real, quality made chips is made with Maseca corn flour form Mexico. There is no substitute. Believe me we tried to have a company make cheap tortilla's and cut chips. Our Latino customer's laughed us out the door and told us to send the good one's we used to send. Look for La Bandorita brand. Real quality product. It wont get rubbery or stick together where they tear when you try to pull them apart. They might not have their retail cut chips out yet but they are coming to the grocery stores.
    this is some solid info guy

i have seen la bandorita tortillas, will try them next time

where do u work if u dont mind me asking

Solid info shackfu

i was just reading about how a large % of seafood isn't what it is supposed to be

http://oceana.org/sites/default/file...ults_FINAL.pdf

this is some solid info guy

i have seen la bandorita tortillas, will try them next time

where do u work if u dont mind me asking
    At this time 1 of the major food service companies. I have worked for all of them come to think of it...

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukeemike View Post
    Solid info shackfu

i was just reading about how a large % of seafood isn't what it is supposed to be

http://oceana.org/sites/default/file...ults_FINAL.pdf
    We would have tests on this very situation. 5-6 fresh filets layed out and you had to get the species correct. No one did. Not even our fish buyer.

Biggest rip-off by far is "ice glaze" on frozen seafood.If you are buying a 1 lb bag of frozen shrimp or lobster for instance their may be some reference to ice glaze or water added on the package. Not illegal if say its a 1 lb bag of shrimp and the ice glaze is in addition to 1 lb of thawed shrimp weight. but often they short you on the seafood and make it up with frozen water on it to get to 1 lb

so if you are bying a 1 pound bag of frozen lobster for $19.99 and its really 12 oz of lobster and 4 oz of "ice glaze" you just paid $19.99 lb for a 1/4 lb of water

Shakeup bringing the heat, great stuff. I worked for company in pa who manufactured Target private label granola bars , (market pantry i believe was name)ingredient listing was same as co brand. I was a buyer there and remembering buying nuts from a plant down south that was in news for all the rats and sshit FDA found.oopsy.

Hello Gordon Ramsey.....this post gave you away finally

I had my suspicions for quite some time

Quote Originally Posted by darkhat View Post
    Hello Gordon Ramsey.....this post gave you away finally

I had my suspicions for quite some time

I used to be a dairy-deli buyer for Shop-Rite supermarkets and I can tell you for sure that many of the products are made for Shop-Rite by major companies. For example, the SR cheese singles are made by Kraft. The SR Bacon is made by Armor. If you want to check any packaged meats to see who made them, all you have to do is look for the "Establishment number" on the package. You then can compare the Est. # of the store brand to some of the major brands and see if the numbers match. For example, the Est. # of SR bacon and Armor bacon are both 40A which is the Armor packing plant in Pittsburgh.

this problem is easily solved by purchasing most of your food directly from the farmers...

i work for a drug company and the "generics" are exactly the same, typically just a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagiant View Post
    I used to be a dairy-deli buyer for Shop-Rite supermarkets and I can tell you for sure that many of the products are made for Shop-Rite by major companies. For example, the SR cheese singles are made by Kraft. The SR Bacon is made by Armor. If you want to check any packaged meats to see who made them, all you have to do is look for the "Establishment number" on the package. You then can compare the Est. # of the store brand to some of the major brands and see if the numbers match. For example, the Est. # of SR bacon and Armor bacon are both 40A which is the Armor packing plant in Pittsburgh.
    Isn't Armor an all retail oriented company? I have never sold their bacon nor have I seen it from a competitor.
    We always get the "Point of Origin Code" off the box when we have an issue with a product. Tells us what day, where, what line #,etc... the item was mfc. The absolute best thing mfc's did to ensure traceability in the last 20 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagiant View Post
    Isn't Armor an all retail oriented company? I have never sold their bacon nor have I seen it from a competitor.
    We always get the "Point of Origin Code" off the box when we have an issue with a product. Tells us what day, where, what line #,etc... the item was mfc. The absolute best thing mfc's did to ensure traceability in the last 20 yrs.

Speaking of generics the Supreme Court issued a pretty big ruling this year, giving immunity to companies making generic drugs from product liability suits.

So think about that the next time you save five bucks by not getting a name brand when you fill a script of some antibiotic you've never heard of.

real pop tarts only here.

Quote Originally Posted by bookbraker View Post
    real pop tarts only here.
    Blueberry pop tarts are one the best tasting things on earth. I don't eat them anymore though.

Yes. I like the strawberry and cinnamon as well.

"A Bush in the hand is better than two in the house"

Pretty good thread here.

I think some of the foodstuffs are where it does matter.

I like Equate ( Walmart) HBA products like mouthwash instead of Listerine. Things like bandaids and triple antibiotic lotion are the same as name brands like Neosporin. Kirkland stuff from Costco is good too, but too far away from me ( 40 miles one way).

There is no difference in stuff like table salt store brand and Morton's.

I'm unconvinced that organic produce is really organic instead of regular at twice the price. Seafood is always a gamble unless you know the differences and are somewhat of an expert.

I see no reason to buy Scott paper products when Marcal is the same , IMO !

Store brand cereal is the same as far as I can tell. If I take a box of Corn Chex and compare it to a box of corn squares....the ingredients are virtually identical

I believe generic drugs equal name brands both prescription and OTC.

pasta and cheese...I prefer name brand

"A Bush in the hand is better than two in the house"

Why is Tide like 7X the price of bargain brands ?