For those trashing the Bears and their win... (Cutler bashers too) - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: For those trashing the Bears and their win... (Cutler bashers too)

Default Re: For those trashing the Bears and their win... (Cutler bashers too)

Entering this season. Cutler with the Bears is 39-28 (decent), 60.4% completions (very average), 101 tds 75 ints (very average), 219 yards per game (very average). 81.8 qbr (very average).

Those numbers tell me he is a SLIGHTLY better than average qb. He does have a great arm but absolutely no intangibles.
    The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_Dorothy View Post
    good points

and FWIW, since Wilson started his career (first game of rookie season mind you)

35 games, 58 TDS, only 20 INTS

cutler

29 games 44 TDS, 28 INTS
    not to mention that Cutler had far better receivers with Denver than wilson has ever had...

Quote Originally Posted by richsox24 View Post
    Entering this season. Cutler with the Bears is 39-28 (decent), 60.4% completions (very average), 101 tds 75 ints (very average), 219 yards per game (very average). 81.8 qbr (very average).

Those numbers tell me he is a SLIGHTLY better than average qb. He does have a great arm but absolutely no intangibles.
    that is what everyone thinks about Cutler, like today's Jeff george and i could not agree more...

I think poster Bigrunner is the first person I've ever heard say that Cutler is a great leader with great intangibles...that is some funny shit

Quote Originally Posted by ttaylor89 View Post
    While those things are all fine and dandy and you need those to be a good QB...He's missing out on the most important thing...A brain

Wilson may not "wow" you with a "omg did you just see cutler somehow fit that ball into that tiny window for the WR" But Wilson will also not make you say "why the fuck did he just chuck that ball up? Just to prove he has a canon...Jesus christ what an idiot" like Cutler does once a game at least, but likely 5 times per game.

Winners make smart decisions. Cutler learns a thing or 2 he could be great, but he thinks he can do it all and doesn't know when a pass play should just be scrapped.
    Excellent points Taylor...The only thing I'll say is that if Cutler hasn't learned a thing or two by now (this is his 9th year in the nfl), he isn't learning anything. He is who he is. Years 10-15 is usually when qb's start to decline.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    not to mention that Cutler had far better receivers with Denver than wilson has ever had...
    And he has better receivers currently with the Bears than Wilson has ever had.

Excellent points Taylor...The only thing I'll say is that if Cutler hasn't learned a thing or two by now (this is his 9th year in the nfl), he isn't learning anything. He is who he is. Years 10-15 is usually when qb's start to decline.

That's what puts me off...It's his 9th year, you'd figure he would realize that just slinging the ball without thinking would hurt the team more than help...But no.

Who knows maybe this year could be the turn around. only 2 picks thru 3 games is pretty good for a guy like him. So maybe he has learned something and he's just good at hiding it from us.

Bears have faced Manuel, Smith along with Kaep and the underachieving Niner offense. Will be exposed here and 2 weeks from now in Atlanta. 49 was a soft number considering GB gets 30+

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hustledouble View Post
    Probably 6 or 7? Can't win the Superbowl with the 8th best QB and that defense.
    Why can't you? WHere did you have R Wilson last season?

Delete his 1st year with Bears "2009" he has a 34-20 current won loss record. Not sure what intangiibles are missing. I believe his leadership is questioned, his smarts, what else? Please give example of intangibles that Foles, Stafford, etc have that Cutler is lacking? P.S. FWIW Cutler graduated from Vanderbilt. Vandy is considered a top academic school.

You cant just delete certain games/years. Heck if you want to delete things, lets delete his 101 td's in a Bears uniform, then his td to int ratio is 0-75.

Also, as far as Vandy being a top academic school, I'm sure Cutler showed up to class and completed all courses without any "help", just like all top collegiate athletes do.

I'm deleting his Lovie years

ALso, look what happened the one time Cutler got hurt. Their bum backup stepped in and performed even better and led the team to a better W/L record than Cutler did last year. Something like 12-1 td/int ratio and a higher completion %. And a better team W/L record.

Cutler was easily replaced last year.

You cant just delete certain games/years. Heck if you want to delete things, lets delete his 101 td's in a Bears uniform, then his td to int ratio is 0-75.

Also, as far as Vandy being a top academic school, I'm sure Cutler showed up to class and completed all courses without any "help", just like all top collegiate athletes do.

You can argue 2009 was a rebuilding year, a new QB, new relationship, new system for Cutler to adjust too. On top of all this Cutler doesn't possess those intangibles so his initial year in a new system can be deleted for this analysis. Please recompute all your stats after removing the 2009 season.

now McCown is better than Cutler?

Bears were 2-2 with Josh McCown starting last year. It wasn't the QB that killed their season, it was the horrible run defense.

Of course McCown isn't better than Cutler. I'm saying the Bears didn't miss a beat when Cutler got hurt. And I believe that the Bears were 3-2 with Mccown as starter and 5-6 with Cutler last year.

Also, how many CAREER playoff wins does Cutler have? I believe the answer is 1 and it was against a 7-9 Seattle team in 2010. Name any other elite qb who has been in the NFL for 9+ years that has only 1 career playoff win?

He's an average/slightly above average qb, that's it.

The fact he did as well as he did during the Lovie years given the hand he was dealt is a testament to his ability. Would he be my first choice if I needed to win one game..no but he would be my choice over many other QBs.

For me it's the equivalent of a barn change for a horse. He's in a new barn now let's see what the new trainer can do with him.

Of course McCown isn't better than Cutler. I'm saying the Bears didn't miss a beat when Cutler got hurt. And I believe that the Bears were 3-2 with Mccown as starter and 5-6 with Cutler last year.

Also, how many CAREER playoff wins does Cutler have? I believe the answer is 1 and it was against a 7-9 Seattle team in 2010. Name any other elite qb who has been in the NFL for 9+ years that has only 1 career playoff win?

He's an average/slightly above average qb, that's it.
    McCown was 3-2, missed an earlier game.

You don't need an elite QB to win a SB if the rest of your team is strong.

ALso, look what happened the one time Cutler got hurt. Their bum backup stepped in and performed even better and led the team to a better W/L record than Cutler did last year. Something like 12-1 td/int ratio and a higher completion %. And a better team W/L record.

Cutler was easily replaced last year.
    Very misleading comment. Bears were 3-2 in games started by backup. 1 of the 3 wins was an absolute gift. Referees absolutely screwed Green Bay when the Bears won 27-20 in Lambeau. Another win was at Soldier Field in the slop with a rain delay beating Balt 23-20 in Ot "another lucky win". Backup's 3rd win was 45-28 win at home against the worst defense around the "Dallas Cowboys. Most of the offesnsive stats were inflated by this win and his performace as a sub against the Redskins in a game the Bears lost 45-41. Sample size is way to small "5 games" and stats are very misleading, to place any value on your comment. Also proof that your comment is misleading look at the backup's record this year. Bears were bad last. It didn't matter who the quarterback was. Yes in this situation he was easily replaced. But this doesn't mean McCown is a better QB and doesn't mean that Cutler is always easily replaced. Lot's of intangibles have to be factored in before any value can be placed on your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by blueline View Post
    The fact he did as well as he did during the Lovie years given the hand he was dealt is a testament to his ability. Would he be my first choice if I needed to win one game..no but he would be my choice over many other QBs.

For me it's the equivalent of a barn change for a horse. He's in a new barn now let's see what the new trainer can do with him.
    I like the barn change analogy.

But between Cutler being in a high powered offense in Denver and his numerous offensive coordinators in Chicago, how many barn changes does this guy need? Eventually the trainer of the horse will say, hmm maybe its not the trainer, maybe its that the horse just isn't that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrunner View Post
    Very misleading comment. Bears were 3-2 in games started by backup. 1 of the 3 wins was an absolute gift. Referees absolutely screwed Green Bay when the Bears won 27-20 in Lambeau. Another win was at Soldier Field in the slop with a rain delay beating Balt 23-20 in Ot "another lucky win". Backup's 3rd win was 45-28 win at home against the worst defense around the "Dallas Cowboys. Most of the offesnsive stats were inflated by this win and his performace as a sub against the Redskins in a game the Bears lost 45-41. Sample size is way to small "5 games" and stats are very misleading, to place any value on your comment. Also proof that your comment is misleading look at the backup's record this year. Bears were bad last. It didn't matter who the quarterback was. Yes in this situation he was easily replaced. But this doesn't mean McCown is a better QB and doesn't mean that Cutler is always easily replaced. Lot's of intangibles have to be factored in for your comment to carry any value.
    You just made my point for me. Look how bad of a qb Mccown is...and the Bears didn't miss a beat going from Cutler to Mccown.

You guys didn't answer my earlier question...you guys think Cutler is a top tier qb, name 1 other top qb that has been in the league 9+ years that only has 1 playoff win (he's lucky they got Seattle in that game or he would most likely be at 0)? Can you really come up with 9 years of excuses?

But between Cutler being in a high powered offense in Denver and his numerous offensive coordinators in Chicago, how many barn changes does this guy need? Eventually the trainer of the horse will say, hmm maybe its not the trainer, maybe its that the horse just isn't that good.
    look at the hand he was dealt here with the previous regime
    now he has the tools to succeed
    let's see what happens

Tampa fans will find this out with Lovie. He puts next to zero emphasis on offense and tries to win with D and ST. That was why McCown was a horrible signing for TB - anyone can hand the ball off and play not to lose.

You just made my point for me. Look how bad of a qb Mccown is...and the Bears didn't miss a beat going from Cutler to Mccown.

You guys didn't answer my earlier question...you guys think Cutler is a top tier qb, name 1 other top qb that has been in the league 9+ years that only has 1 playoff win (he's lucky they got Seattle in that game or he would most likely be at 0)? Can you really come up with 9 years of excuses?

Another misleading statement. The point I made is your comment that Cutler was easily replaced carries zero value. The other point I made is the Bears were bad last year, the QB position was irrelavent. You know what happened in 2011 after Cutler broke his thumb making a touchdown saving tackle against S.D. The Bears were 7-3 when he was injured. The proceeded to lose 5 straight with Caleb Hanie and Josh McCown as starting QB's. Go figure?

Then in 2012 with a record of 10-6 the Bears missed the playoffs becuase of Cutler, oops I mean a tiebreaker. Again your new comment is misleading. Cutler I believe has only been in 2 playoff games so once again the sample size is small. And he's only been in the league 8 seasons not 9+. He's only been to the playoffs 1 season, came very close 2 other times. The other 5 seasons his teams didn't make the playoffs obviously in your eyes was his fault. In Summary:

2006 Rookie year became starter mid season replacing Jake the Snake missed playoffs

2007 7-9 record missed playoffs

2008 Elected captain by offensive teamates. For the season, Cutler ranked third in the NFL in passing completions (first in the AFC), second in passing attempts (first in the AFC), third in passing yards (first in the AFC) and seventh in passing touchdowns (third in the AFC). Cutler was also selected as the FedEx Air Player of the Week for his performances during Week 10, 13 and 14 of the season. Cutler finished third in fan voting for AFC quarterbacks for pro bowl.] Three quarterbacks are chosen to play in the game. Fan voting accounts for one-third of the total voting (players and coaches account for the other two-thirds). He was officially picked to play in his first Pro Bowl when selections were announced on December 16, 2008. Cutler was chosen as a reserve. Missed playoffs, but I don't think it was because of Jay!

2009 7-9 record, rough year

2010 11-5 record, 1st round bye, beat Seattle for in his 1st ever playoff game, lost to Green Bay in NFC Championship game. These are the only 2 playoff games Cutler has started and played in.

2011 Cutler led Bears started season 7-3 on their way to the playoffs. Cutler gets injured game 10 and misses games 11-15. Bears finish season going 1-5 for a final record of 8-8.

2012 Cutler leads Bears to a 10-6 record but Bears miss playoffs because of tiebreaker rules.

2013 Bears finish season 8-8. Cutler goes 5-6, backup goes 3-2.

For what it's worth your statement "name 1 other top qb that has been in the league 9+? years and has only 1 playoff win" is misleading and has very little value!

Pretty good resume if you ask me. Became starter rookie year! Elected captain and to pro-bowl after 1st 2 seasons. Elected player of the week 3 times in his 3rd season of play. Good years in 2010, 2011, & 2012. Initial year with Bears was rough, and 2013 was tough.

Critics are way too harsh when it comes to Jay Cutler. I remember all these same critics calling him a pussy, saying he was soft because he sat out a 2nd half of a playoff game. Cutler has proven time and again he's a tough, gutty, competitor. The opposite of being soft. Very obvious the critics were wrong about this! IMO This harsh criticism creates biased opinions and fuzzy evaluations.

enough of the cutler ball washing...he has had a slightly above average career

Blog Entries

I agree with that take but the way I see it is the guy never gets ball washed just bashed and he is like you said Above Average......

On recent Bears teams that had terrible offensive lines. Put him on a team with a good OL his career would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrunner View Post
    On recent Bears teams that had terrible offensive lines. Put him on a team with a good OL his career would be better.
    Everyone that claims their QB is a top 10 can say "Get our QB an O-line that will give him all the time in the world, and he'll be better" Then you have guys that are the Elite QB's like Manning and he needs 2 seconds and knows exactly where the ball is going. Cutler is 10X the athlete of Manning, better arm, mobile....But why is manning the elite QB that he is? He knows what he has and doesn't try to go for the homerun play 10X a game.

Plug the top 10 QB's in with this bears team and they'd "wow" you with their stats and the bears would be in the playoffs every single season. Even with that defense.

plug manning into the offense the Bears had the recent years and you would have had to scrape manning up off the turf

That's the problem though. All the Cutler apologists always have an excuse for his play. Its the o-lines fault, no weapons, no defense, receiver ran the wrong route, bad offensive coordinators (all 8 of them), bad head coach. The guy played in Denver for 3 years, no playoff appearances...I know, each year it was everyone else's fault. But then the 2nd year after he left, Kyle Orton and TIM TEBOW somehow led them to the playoffs under goofy Josh McDaniels and even won a playoff game. Yeah yeah they must have had a better team than Cutler had. The excuses seem to be endless.

it's starting to sound like he didn't stop and sign an autograph when someone asked

I have never seen Cutler get that emotional....in fact I think he likes people to perceive him in that way.....

Wish he had the fire of Jimmy Mac......
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

No blueline, that's why Mark Grace is on my shit-list.

I just don't like Cutler. He's cocky, arrogant and thinks he's better than he is.

I don't care about his personality.
    I want him to play well.
    Does he make bad throws and and make some bad decisions...yes.
    Now with him having the things he needs to succeed he should play well.
    Let's see what happens