Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 103

Thread: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

  1. #1

    Default Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players



    People are realizing how important defense is. Elite defense all over the diamond is a big part of why all 5 starting of their pitchers are well above average. One elite defender might not mean much, but when Kris Bryant is an elite defender, Addison Russell is an elite defender, Jason Heyward is an elite defender, Anthony Rizzo is an elite defender, and Javy Baez is and you can move him anywhere, it starts to get to the point where hitters aren't going to find holes often.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Elite? I think we got it the first time.


  3. #3

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    The Cubs' biggest hurdle: the vagaries of the MLB postseason.

    The five-game sprint in the NLDS may be more dangerous than either the NLCS or World Series.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry, how many name is this for you now?

  5. #5
    EOG Dedicated Brayden11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 12, 2013
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    3,785

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Tard alert.

  6. #6
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,961

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    John, if you have your broom handy, I think it's time for a little cleaning, Javy's had his say, time to make him go bye-bye
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  7. #7

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Done deal, KANE.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Underrated?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    JAVY BAEZ: One If Baseball's Dumbest Players

  10. #10

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Javy baez bonehead play costs the cubs the game.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Shift on. A 34 year old turtle at the plate. Yet. SOMEHOW. SOMEWAY. JAVY "DISPHIT" BAEZ throws to the wrong base!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    It's players like BAEZ, that are going to kill the Cubs in the playoffs. You just do not make that play in the big leagues. Cubs are a great regular season team for one-sixty-two, as shit like that can be erased vs the Brewers series or a series vs the Reds. But in a best-of-five, or seven playoff matchup? I'm fading.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    JAVY BAEZ: One Of Baseball's Biggest DIPSHITS!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Done deal, KANE.
    take kane out too, who is a far inferior poster than Javy.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Kane dumbs down the site, Javy had on occasion some insightful stuff

  16. #16

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    At least Baez made up for his boneheaded play at the plate in the 9th.

    Oh wait....

  17. #17
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Nov 30, 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,050

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    javy baez..........strikeout way too much.....can only come in for defense ......

  18. #18
    BEANTOWNJIM IS A STIFF AND A FRAUD
    Join Date
    Nov 26, 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    20,982

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by richsox24 View Post
    Javy baez bonehead play costs the cubs the game.

    Nothing new there. It's what fans have come to expect from Javy, when he plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    MY FATHER WAS IN WORLD WAR 11 IN THE NAVY


    Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    I WILL PERSONALLY PAY ANYBODY THAT CAN LISTEN TO YISMAN FOR THE HOUR AND NOT FALL ASLEEP 500 DOLLARS

  19. #19
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,961

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    It's one thing to commit a physical error, every player has a ball go through his legs, or throws one away from time to time, that's understandable, and part of the game. What isn't understandable is a mental error, which is what Baez did yesterday. Before the pitch to Gonzalez, Baez needs to know two things. First, he has to know where his second baseman is playing, he has to know that a force at second would be tough since Zobrist is so far from the bag. Second, he also has to know the speed of the batter, he has to know Gonzalez isn't winning any stolen base titles. Before the pitch to Gonzalez, Baez has to think to himself, a ball hit to me, and my play is at first base, I see how far Zobrist is from second, I know how little speed Gonzalez has. Now, yesterday's game wasn't too important for the Cubs, so the mental error isn't that big a deal, but a mental lapse like that in October could cost you a playoff game, which could cost you a series.
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  20. #20

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Zobrist was REAL slow getting over to second. Baez ain't perfect, but I guarantee you come next season he, not Zobrist, will be playing second base. He's cut down on his strikeouts from the astronomical rate from 2014. Defensively, there aren't many better......at multiple positions.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    It's one thing to commit a physical error, every player has a ball go through his legs, or throws one away from time to time, that's understandable, and part of the game. What isn't understandable is a mental error, which is what Baez did yesterday. Before the pitch to Gonzalez, Baez needs to know two things. First, he has to know where his second baseman is playing, he has to know that a force at second would be tough since Zobrist is so far from the bag. Second, he also has to know the speed of the batter, he has to know Gonzalez isn't winning any stolen base titles. Before the pitch to Gonzalez, Baez has to think to himself, a ball hit to me, and my play is at first base, I see how far Zobrist is from second, I know how little speed Gonzalez has. Now, yesterday's game wasn't too important for the Cubs, so the mental error isn't that big a deal, but a mental lapse like that in October could cost you a playoff game, which could cost you a series.
    First off, no matter how far Zobrist is shifting, he's still well ahead of the runner at first and should beat him to the bag every time. He wasn't hustling enough to get there and has to take some of the blame as well. I agree that Baez should have thrown to first and this wouldn't have been an issue, but totally disagree with the stance that the Cubs defense is going to cost them in the playoffs.

    Most don't realize that the Cubs defense currently ranks as one of the best of all-time. For every play like Baez's in the last game, there are 10 more plays the Cubs make that most teams do not. Defense certainly won't be what does this team in come October.

  22. #22
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,961

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by Waz View Post
    First off, no matter how far Zobrist is shifting, he's still well ahead of the runner at first and should beat him to the bag every time. He wasn't hustling enough to get there and has to take some of the blame as well. I agree that Baez should have thrown to first and this wouldn't have been an issue, but totally disagree with the stance that the Cubs defense is going to cost them in the playoffs.

    Most don't realize that the Cubs defense currently ranks as one of the best of all-time. For every play like Baez's in the last game, there are 10 more plays the Cubs make that most teams do not. Defense certainly won't be what does this team in come October.
    First of all, while I can't say this for sure, I think Zobrist just assumed the play would be at first base, I mean if you look at the Cub's defensive alignment, it was obvious any grounder to short, and the play would be at first base, especially given the lack of speed at the plate. If Zobrist got a late break, it might be because he thought the throw was going to first and was caught off guard, so maybe Zobrist takes a little responsibility for breaking late, but again, that throw has to go to first base 100% of the time. Second, I never said the Cubs defense will cost them in the playoffs, I said a mental lapse like the one Baez committed could cost them a playoff game, it has nothing to do with them defensively, they're a solid defensive team, but you can't have any mental errors in the playoffs, physical errors happen, these guys are only human, but you have to be aware of the surroundings before every pitch. I played a little ball in HS, and I remember my coach always saying, anticipate the ball being hit to you when there are runners on base, and know where you would go with the ball if it's hit to you. Had Baez been more aware of where Zobrist was playing, he would have seen how far from the base he was, combined with how slow the hitter is, he should have said to himself before the pitch, anything hit to me, and my play is at first base. Look, it's not like his blunder will cost the Cubs a playoff spot, but it should be a lesson learned for him, the kid is extremely talented, but he's still young and learning.
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  23. #23
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,961

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Zobrist was REAL slow getting over to second. Baez ain't perfect, but I guarantee you come next season he, not Zobrist, will be playing second base. He's cut down on his strikeouts from the astronomical rate from 2014. Defensively, there aren't many better......at multiple positions.
    What do you do with Zobrist then? The Cubs problem is they have too many good players, and not enough positions
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  24. #24
    SportsOptions/Line up with the pros
    Join Date
    Sep 06, 2005
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    I think Maddon will keep getting Zobrist his at bats even if he isn't the regular 2B, been doing it since Tampa.

    Hits from both sides of the plate, hits decently with some pop, and plays almost every position on the field. And does so at a high level.

    Easy to get him in games, he's a manager's dream player. There's a reason Maddon wanted him in Chicago.

    And come playoff time his value will only rise.

    Big Zobrist fan here.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    What do you do with Zobrist then? The Cubs problem is they have too many good players, and not enough positions
    I think you bench Baez against some tough RHPs and start Zobrist at 2B. You can play him (Zobrist) in any of the OF positions. Baez is a better 3B than Bryant, so you can sometimes put Bryant in the outfield, Baez at 3B and Zobrist at 2B. Somebody will get hurt....Schwarber will be coming back, which will likely cut into some of Heyward's playing time in 2017. Heyward will get very few starts against LHPs in 2017. Even the good Heyward in previous seasons didn't hit lefties well.

  26. #26
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,961

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    I think Maddon will keep getting Zobrist his at bats even if he isn't the regular 2B, been doing it since Tampa.

    Hits from both sides of the plate, hits decently with some pop, and plays almost every position on the field. And does so at a high level.

    Easy to get him in games, he's a manager's dream player. There's a reason Maddon wanted him in Chicago.

    And come playoff time his value will only rise.

    Big Zobrist fan here.
    I agree with you regarding Zobrist's worth, he might be more valuable as a do it all utility guy, he can play about every position on the field. But, how would he feel about that? When he signed with Chicago, I'm assuming he did so with the intent on being the every day second baseman, and he's had a solid year. Maybe he would be a team guy and agree to not be an every day player, but he might also say, if I knew I wasn't going to play every day, I would have signed with the Mets (they were the other team he was considering signing with). I wish my teams had the problem the Cubs have, too many good players and not enough positions
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  27. #27
    EOG Dedicated Ronaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 11, 2015
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    2,367

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Ouch. Right on cue, a pathetic error by Baez, letting the ball go under his glove, in the top of the 11th in a tie ballgame.

    Kerry/Javy is the worlds biggest mush. Comes here yesterday to praise Arrieta (promptly gets shelled), trash Cespedes (hits walkoff HR), start this embarrassing thread about Javy Baez (costs the Cubs the game with a boneheaded play yesterday, makes an error in the 11th tonight).

  28. #28

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Now it is twice where Baez could have scored the winning run, thrown out both times.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Funny how quiet things got around here when the Cubs ended up pulling it out.

    BTW, Baez "sucked" to the tune of 4 hits tonight.

  30. #30
    Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location
    Bridgman, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    10,285

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    One of the first players other teams want from the Cubs is Baez. Madden loves the kid and they will not move him. His hitting has improved greatly also.

    The poster javy is a tool but did nail a lot of things also, like the collapse of the mets rotation.

  31. #31
    BEANTOWNJIM IS A STIFF AND A FRAUD
    Join Date
    Nov 26, 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    20,982

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    One of the first players other teams want from the Cubs is Baez. Madden loves the kid and they will not move him. His hitting has improved greatly also.

    The poster javy is a tool but did nail a lot of things also, like the collapse of the mets rotation.

    Most of his posts were actually dedicated to insisting that the Heyward signing was a great signing and that Heyward>Cespedes.

    Also, he was the only one who actually said the Mets rotation was the greatest ever (arguing with a strawman). I'm pretty sure no one posted that the Mets rotation was the greatest ever.

    The Mets have a good rotation, as do the Cubs.

    If you take out his obsession with Heyward and his threats to sue other posters, report them to the FBI, or have mobsters get them, you're left with not a lot. Some posts drooling over Arrieta and Baez, I suppose, along with general insults claiming everyone else is middle-aged, fat, and retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    MY FATHER WAS IN WORLD WAR 11 IN THE NAVY


    Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    I WILL PERSONALLY PAY ANYBODY THAT CAN LISTEN TO YISMAN FOR THE HOUR AND NOT FALL ASLEEP 500 DOLLARS

  32. #32

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players


  33. #33

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    https://streamable.com/ejuc

    Cueto's quick pitch failing miserably after tons of slow shimmies earlier in the at bat is so delicious.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
    Ouch. Right on cue, a pathetic error by Baez, letting the ball go under his glove, in the top of the 11th in a tie ballgame.

    Kerry/Javy is the worlds biggest mush. Comes here yesterday to praise Arrieta (promptly gets shelled), trash Cespedes (hits walkoff HR), start this embarrassing thread about Javy Baez (costs the Cubs the game with a boneheaded play yesterday, makes an error in the 11th tonight).
    GW HR for the 23 year old.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Javy Baez: One of Baseball's Most Underrated Players

    Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    It's players like BAEZ, that are going to kill the Cubs in the playoffs. You just do not make that play in the big leagues. Cubs are a great regular season team for one-sixty-two, as shit like that can be erased vs the Brewers series or a series vs the Reds. But in a best-of-five, or seven playoff matchup? I'm fading.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •