Did the Cubs just beat up a lot of bad pitching during the year?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the Cubs just beat up a lot of bad pitching during the year?

EOG Dedicated

Default Did the Cubs just beat up a lot of bad pitching during the year?

what's wrong with the cubs? not hitting

Default Re: Did the Cubs just beat up a lot of bad pitching during the year?

Rizzo had poor postseason last year too. But I will say this, Gary Cederstrom missed that pitch on Grandal, and boy did the Cubs pay the price for it.

Russell now 1-for-24 this October.

Rizzo now 7-for-57 in his postseason career. No explanation for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    what's wrong with the cubs? not hitting
    If they keep hitting, like they did tonight--they will never make it back to Chicago.

EOG Dedicated

Cubs still have to run into sandy koufax in game 5 again.

Heyward's first postseason with the Cubs of course, but in his five years of postseason experience:

13-for-71 for a .183 avg and a .560 OPS

One would think the Cubs hitters would have an edge seeing four left handed starters in-a-row. They fared well vs lefties during the season: 29-19.

Urias tomorrow vs Lackey and then CY Kershaw in game five?

No kidding.

The Cubs better win tomorrow, or they will fly back to Chicago as NLCS Losers.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    Heyward's first postseason with the Cubs of course, but in his five years of postseason experience:

13-for-71 for a .183 avg and a .560 OPS
    23 mil/yr to ride the pines in the playoffs.....

with global warming you would think j hey killing it......

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyisle View Post
    23 mil/yr to ride the pines in the playoffs.....

with global warming you would think j hey killing it......
    Great contract by Theo.

Really a great job of prioritizing payroll.

Were the Cubs ever shut out in back-to-back games this year?

Rich Hill needs to start selling and marketing his urine.

Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    Were the Cubs ever shut out in back-to-back games this year?
    No

and bingo was his name o

how can educated peeps out their think the Cubs were riding this out, with all chutes and mirrors

even the Giants series was a smoke screen just get n by, fact is they just don't have and never did consistent post season bats, to busy but can u imagine what team stats look like if u throw out

homeruns/xtra base hits from the pitches and catchers, yes the pitchers and catchers bats, L o L

Maddon speechless on MLB network live

Maddon saying they are "working good AB's", what game did he just watch?

Maddon: "we need to make better contact". Wow! You think Joe?

maybe the Cub's hitters are still seeing Met logos out on the mound....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

So who's shut down the Cubs the past 2 games? Kershaw, Rich Hill and Kenley Jansen. Who's the best pitcher in MLB? It's Kershaw. Other than the Cardinals in the post season, Kershaw has made everyone look bad. Is Jansen the top closer? Probably not, but clearly top 5. What did Rich Hill do this year? A 2.12 ERA and the league batted .195 against him. Not hitting in those two games can't be a complete shock. The Cubs clearly have the pressure tonight, but going cold against those pitchers doesn't mean they can't hit Urias, or Maeda, or the other pitchers in the pen. If they win, its tied up at 2. Hell, Toronto was down 3 games to 0, and they still have life.

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    So who's shut down the Cubs the past 2 games? Kershaw, Rich Hill and Kenley Jansen. Who's the best pitcher in MLB? It's Kershaw. Other than the Cardinals in the post season, Kershaw has made everyone look bad. Is Jansen the top closer? Probably not, but clearly top 5. What did Rich Hill do this year? A 2.12 ERA and the league batted .195 against him. Not hitting in those two games can't be a complete shock. The Cubs clearly have the pressure tonight, but going cold against those pitchers doesn't mean they can't hit Urias, or Maeda, or the other pitchers in the pen. If they win, its tied up at 2. Hell, Toronto was down 3 games to 0, and they still have life.
    Well this is a bleak outlook if you're a Cubs fan, because you're getting them again.
    "David is aware of this thread and he's disappointed about the developments."

Here's the facts: top pitchers they've faced this year: Bumgarner, Cole, Cueto, Darvish, DeGrom, Fernandez, Greinke, Hamels, F Hernandez, Hill, Kershaw,C Martinez, Sale, Scherzer, Syndegaard, and Teheran.

13-15 record in those games.

Compare that to the rest of the league against them.

And exactly why run differential during the regular season can be deceptive.

We need a new category: run differential versus teams over .500.

Or better yet, run differential versus elite pitchers (based on WHIP?).

Quote Originally Posted by 2W2P2S View Post
    Well this is a bleak outlook if you're a Cubs fan, because you're getting them again.
    You and several others in this forum could use a lesson in sample sizes. Two games means virtually nothing, and it is not predictive in any way going forward. They scored 8 runs in Game 1, which was just a few days ago and people have already forgotten. They faced two of the best pitchers in baseball and got shut down, not very surprising at all.

Uh oh.

WAZ v 2W2P2S.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post

You mean the reds didn't make the playoffs?
    tripp blows

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post

This is a great thought, and I do similar stratifying in college basketball to see how teams perform against different levels of competition. However, I've backtested this in baseball and how teams do against good/bad opponents actually has virtually zero predictive power going forward. Put another way, overall run differential is a BETTER future predictor of success than run differential against different levels of opponents (i.e. just good teams). And it all comes down to sample size and the fact that a bigger population is stronger evidence than a subset against a different group.

That all being said, I would be willing to bet that the Cubs have one of the best run differentials against opponents above .500 this season, if not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Waz View Post
    You and several others in this forum could use a lesson in sample sizes. Two games means virtually nothing, and it is not predictive in any way going forward. They scored 8 runs in Game 1, which was just a few days ago and people have already forgotten. They faced two of the best pitchers in baseball and got shut down, not very surprising at all.
    T

Yeah, can you teach me about sample size? I haven't a clue. Maybe you need a lesson on reading comprehension and basic logic. My response to him and now you, is a response to what you typed in bold......let me lay it out for you because you seem to be unable to comprehend. If it's not surprising they faced two of the best pitchers in baseball and got shut down, it shouldn't be surprising if it happens again when they face those same 2 pitchers.
    "David is aware of this thread and he's disappointed about the developments."

Cubs terrible hitting being exsposed.

T

Yeah, can you teach me about sample size? I haven't a clue. Maybe you need a lesson on reading comprehension and basic logic. My response to him and now you, is a response to what you typed in bold......let me lay it out for you because you seem to be unable to comprehend. If it's not surprising they faced two of the best pitchers in baseball and got shut down, it shouldn't be surprising if it happens again when they face those same 2 pitchers.
    Washington sure had no problem getting to Rich Hill.

You face good pitchers in the playoffs; that's why those teams are usually in the playoffs. The "we faced" two of the better pitchers in baseball excuse/argument is a sad one to hear. Nats scored 5 runs in 7 innings against Rich Hill - he never got out of the 5th inning in either start.
    tripp blows

T

Not singling you out as this was in response to everyone in this thread, if you read from the top down about "why aren't the Cubs hitting" and "did they just beat up on bad teams all season." But your comment about their chances being bleak based on what happened in those two games is also short-sighted. It's just two games. If the Cubs had roughed up both of those pitchers for 5 runs, I'm guessing you wouldn't have made that comment. But bottom line, the current series odds imply the Cubs have nearly a 40% chance to win this series. Maybe it's different in horse racing, but I don't consider a 40% chance to be "bleak". I think your comment is based on your observation of those two games, instead of analyzing the "complete" picture.

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    Cubs terrible hitting being exsposed.
    Their best hitter has been a Puerto Rican guy... their worst hitter has been a white guy who went to college. Sure puts a damper in the good old fashion racist rail baseball argument.
    tripp blows

Quote Originally Posted by Waz View Post
    Not singling you out as this was in response to everyone in this thread, if you read from the top down about "why aren't the Cubs hitting" and "did they just beat up on bad teams all season." But your comment about their chances being bleak based on what happened in those two games is also short-sighted. It's just two games. If the Cubs had roughed up both of those pitchers for 5 runs, I'm guessing you wouldn't have made that comment. But bottom line, the current series odds imply the Cubs have nearly a 40% chance to win this series. Maybe it's different in horse racing, but I don't consider a 40% chance to be "bleak". I think your comment is based on your observation of those two games, instead of analyzing the "complete" picture.

JFC, of course no one would make that comment if they actually scored runs.

It's not "just two games." 2 games is 50% of the wins the Dodgers need.

He was stating the chances were bleak if your excuse for them not scoring was they faced two of the best pitchers in the game... because they have to face those pitchers again.
    tripp blows

Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    JFC, of course no one would make that comment if they actually scored runs.

It's not "just two games." 2 games is 50% of the wins the Dodgers need.

He was stating the chances were bleak if your excuse for them not scoring was they faced two of the best pitchers in the game... because they have to face those pitchers again.
    You've made my point exactly.