BJ Penn Returns - After a few futile attempts to make a UFC comeback, BJ Penn has set another date to make his UFC comeback.* Barring any assaults, suspensions or injuries, “The Prodigy” will face up and coming Yair Rodriguez in the main event of UFC fight night, on January 15th 2017 at the Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix, AZ.

The question is, “Do we care?”* BJ is 37 years old and has a record of 1-5-1 in his last 7 bouts which goes back to April of 2010.* Granted he is a respected name and has held belts at 2 different weight classes but I would rather see some fresh talent instead of a possible Penn fight.* Penn has lost to Nick Diaz, Rory MacDonald and Frankie Edgar in his last 3 fights.* His one victory since April 2010 was against Matt Hughes on November 20th of 2010.

If “The prodigy” had returned when first announced maybe I’d be a little more excited but not much.* When he first announced his comeback, he was delayed due to allegations of sexual assault, once cleared he was supposed to fight Cole Miller at UFC 199 but was banned after a violation of anti-doping policies.* He was set to fight Ricardo Lamas on October 15th but pulled out due to a rib injury.* Now he is scheduled to fight Yair “Pantera” Rodriguez who comes to this fight with a 9-1 record.

I respect that BJ Penn has held belts in the light weight and welter weight divisions.* He is a decent fighter that has fared well against the Gracie family.* At this point, I’m no longer excited to see him.* I’d much rather see Yair Rodriguez face Brian Ortega.* They are both up and coming, boast similar records and have similar experience.* I’d much rather watch two fighters that are hungry and fighting for position and rank rather than the comeback of a journeyman that looks a bit like former 80's pro wrestler Jose Estrada.

BJ Penn Returns / Into boxing as well? Check out the latest news and features at The Sweet Science.