Let's discuss the upcoming 2017 MLB season - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss the upcoming 2017 MLB season

Default Re: Let's discuss the upcoming 2017 MLB season

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Was Reyes going to close or be the #5? There's always the hope for Cards fans that Rosenthal rebounds. He was terrible last year. Wacha has had some injury issues. I wonder if he would be better served in the bullpen.

As for the Pirates, there is upside. Glasnow and Taillon for a full season and a healthy Cole, and that's a real strong 1-2-3. And moving McCutcheon out of CF is a positive. He had a weak defensive number last year.

I think the Reds win more than they won in 2016. Their bullpen was historically bad; dead last in ERA, FIP, XFIP, HR rate, walk rate per 9. But as bad as it was, they actually weren't too bad the final 6 weeks or so. I think Cincinnati will separate from Milwaukee, who has a dreadful lineup.
    Reyes was being counted on as an impact starter.

www.gabewins.com Baseball Zealot's Avatar

I'm not sure about that. When someone comes in and takes the league by storm, the league adjusts. A WRC falloff from 167 to 118. The slugging percentage down over 100 points from 2014? That is big. Not saying he can't refind his 2014 form, but I won't assume he will. He's going to have to prove it first.

I think 2014 stats were inflated, 2015 were about right and last year deflated. Who knows if he was battling an injury that limited his power?

Still very capable of 30+ HR's, 100 RBIs and a OBP of .360+... Would like that on my fantasy team. He is going in about the 3rd round.

agree about COLE. Cole is a stud.

COLE was 7-10 with a 3.88 ERA and people are probably thinking he isn't an ace but if you dig deep you see he's a stud.

FIP 3.33 HR/FB 6.5%/0.54 HR/9 tell me he's still an ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball Zealot View Post
    agree about COLE. Cole is a stud.

COLE was 7-10 with a 3.88 ERA and people are probably thinking he isn't an ace but if you dig deep you see he's a stud.

FIP 3.33 HR/FB 6.5%/0.54 HR/9 tell me he's still an ace.
    Cole was hurt last year. No starts between June 10-July 16, and only 1 start after August 24. Give him the offseason to get healthy, get Glasnow and Taillon for a full season, that's a strong 1-2-3.

Not sure what to make of the Cardinals. Very strong lineup offensively but one of the worst defensively. Addition of Fowler should help, but Molina one year older doesn't figure to help. A rotation of Martinez/Lynn/Wainwright/Leake/Wacha.

Here's a clip on Wacha. Have to wonder if they move him to the pen because he does wear down. This guy isn't bullish on Wacha:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?i...espnapi_public

Cole was hurt last year. No starts between June 10-July 16, and only 1 start after August 24. Give him the offseason to get healthy, get Glasnow and Taillon for a full season, that's a strong 1-2-3.

absolutely

Not sure what to make of the Cardinals. Very strong lineup offensively but one of the worst defensively. Addition of Fowler should help, but Molina one year older doesn't figure to help. A rotation of Martinez/Lynn/Wainwright/Leake/Wacha.

Here's a clip on Wacha. Have to wonder if they move him to the pen because he does wear down. This guy isn't bullish on Wacha:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?i...espnapi_public

None of these guys give me the warm and fuzzies.

Player POS AB R HR RBI SB AVG OBP SLG OPS BB K
    1 Dexter Fowler OF 515 89 14 46 15 0.266 0.359 0.427 0.786 69 115
    2 Aledmys Diaz SS 522 78 18 71 5 0.285 0.349 0.467 0.816 47 68
    3 Matt Carpenter 1B 552 85 22 82 2 0.270 0.359 0.476 0.835 73 110
    4 Stephen Piscotty OF 565 81 20 85 6 0.278 0.339 0.458 0.797 44 117
    5 Yadier Molina C 424 39 6 47 2 0.292 0.338 0.401 0.739 27 47
    6 Jhonny Peralta 3B 481 56 15 56 1 0.266 0.321 0.418 0.739 37 85
    7 Randal Grichuk OF 500 72 27 76 5 0.252 0.296 0.502 0.798 28 144
    8 Kolten Wong 2B 495 66 12 51 14 0.259 0.322 0.396 0.718 36 76

like value has said. This lineup is very dangerous although I am concerned
    with the lack of speed they have. But when every player in the lineup hits a HR
    at least every 8 games you will be getting runs.
    Would not be surprised if ten + players hit 10 or more HR's. This is
    a team to watch out for at parks like Coors, Chase, Great American etc

None of these guys give me the warm and fuzzies.
    Lynn was very consistent before he got hurt. He could win 15 games. Wainwright needs to be better than his 2016 season if he's the #3. For a # 4, Leake isn't bad at all. As for Wacha, how many innings will they get before he gets hurt? I heard talk of making Rosenthal a starter. He was a great closer until last year, when it all went bad.

I never liked LYNN, WHIP always over 1.3, allows too many baserunners.

Wainny had a 1.4 WHIP last season..

Leake 4.69 ERA last season

Wacha ERA over 5, WHIP over 1.5...

SCAAAAARY

I never liked LYNN, WHIP always over 1.3, allows too many baserunners.

Wainny had a 1.4 WHIP last season..

Leake 4.69 ERA last season

Wacha ERA over 5, WHIP over 1.5...

SCAAAAARY
    Leake is a groundballer so a weak infield defense really hurts him. Gave up a little over 200 hits in about 175 innings. Not good.

Overs in St Louis bud?

Can't help Wacha's psyche he lost his arbitration.

Wacha = McCarthy, both suffer from the same scapular injury. Off-and-on DL trips will be the norm.

Overs in St Louis bud?
    Maybe, but after last season, I think we will be seeing some high priced totals for them. Going into last year, nobody knew Diaz was going to be that good of a hitter, and Gyorko hit almost 30 HRs as a middle infielder. Holiday was a pure over player; solid hitter but a detriment in the outfield but he's now gone. Molina's defensive numbers really took a dive.

Lynn might be a good over bet against a LHH heavy team like the Dodgers. He has a pretty strong split as RHH struggle against him but LHH have some success.

Glasnow will probably struggle until he improves command. He has averaged 4.5 BB'/9 IP. That number is especially alarming since minor leaguers are notorious for chasing bad pitches. I do really like the young nucleus of talent Pitt has however. If they can trade Cutch (on a steady decline) for some solid prospects they can legitimately build a title contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Glasnow will probably struggle until he improves command. He has averaged 4.5 BB'/9 IP. That number is especially alarming since minor leaguers are notorious for chasing bad pitches. I do really like the young nucleus of talent Pitt has however. If they can trade Cutch (on a steady decline) for some solid prospects they can legitimately build a title contender.
    The walk numbers are high, but control can improve. He has to have pretty good stuff as he had more than twice as many strikeouts (144) as hits allowed (69) last year in 117 minor league innings. I could see him having a strong home/road split, where he has better control from a mound he pitches on frequently.

Tigers: Pretty much the same team as last year. One year older though and with a lot of veterans.

Verlander very shaky ace, Fulmer should bounceback from the after ASB collapse. Zimmerman, Sanchez, Norris.. Very, very shaky rotation. Any of these rotation guys could give up 6+ ER's and it would not surprise me.

Lineup is solid. defense pretty good. I will definitely be looking at overs with this team. Indians are the clear cut fave in this division so Tigers will need to get a WC bid to make it to the playoffs. If Verlander is more consistent, Fulmer pitches like a stud (very possible he's only 24) and the bottom part of rotation at least saves face they might be able to string a surprise successful season but I doubt it. Not good enough to contend. Look for overs.

KC:

Team is quite a bit different but will still have the same personality. Let's start with rotation, Duffy, Kennedy, Hammel, Karns, Wood are the epitome of a bend but don't break rotation. KC has done it before, get the most out of their starters for 5 innings and then will with the BP. I am not sure Soria, Herrera and company will be as good for that. The rotation looks filled with 4ish ERA guys who will likely give up 2-4 runs every start. No more Davis, no more Ventura, no more Morales.

Lineup still looks capable
    1 Alcides Escobar SS 588 63 5 49 18 0.264 0.296 0.345 0.641 23 77
    2 Mike Moustakas 3B 545 65 23 75 1 0.259 0.318 0.446 0.764 39 72
    3 Lorenzo Cain OF 514 78 12 67 23 0.296 0.343 0.432 0.775 32 95
    4 Eric Hosmer 1B 568 79 19 90 5 0.276 0.334 0.433 0.767 48 103
    5 Jorge Soler DH 461 60 20 70 2 0.265 0.337 0.447 0.784 48 130
    6 Alex Gordon OF 505 68 19 57 8 0.248 0.332 0.410 0.742 54 127
    7 Salvador Perez C 495 52 19 63 0 0.253 0.284 0.422 0.706 17 90
    8 Brandon Moss OF 381 51 21 57 1 0.226 0.300 0.449 0.749 36 109
    9 Raul Mondesi 2B 370 50 9 43 32 0.222 0.266 0.368 0.634 21 112

I like this lineup. Cain was injured last year so he should have a big year. Top to bottom a pretty nice lineup.

KC can do some damage but improvement is needed in the rotation, BP to seriously contend. Maybe a prospect like Dozier will make the lineup unstoppable, maybe Straum or Staumont will make the rotation respectable. I have no strong opinions about what this team will do, we have seen them exceed expectations before.

Twins....

hmmm where do we start? Will Buxton, Berrios and Sano wake up and turn into the studs they were always projected to be? Mauer, Dozier, Polanco all are very capable hitters. If things work out, Twins lineup could be dangerous. Could is the key word and a lot of things would need to go right that didn't last year.

Rotation is a complete mess. Santana is their ace, he pitched well in limited action but can he be trusted to pitch an ERA is the 3s? I doubt it.
    Santiago sucks imo and he will be getting a lot of starts, he would be the 5th man on many rotations so seeing that he's the projected #2 tells you all
    you need to know about this rotation. Gibson is average at best, Hughes is the same. Berrios has shown signs of being a possible ace in the minors but
    can he do it in MLB? There are some prospects that have huge potential. Mejia, Gonzalves etc. They are stacked with young prospects who have tremendous talent.

I am going to do a wait and see approach with this team. I might mess with overs considering their BP and rotation is less than stellar and they have a capable lineup. But I am not sure what to expect, they could surprise with big contributions from the young studs or they could be terrible. Who knows?

Good stuff Gyno,is possible you can paste the projected line ups too,like you did with the Royals? cheeky I know,but adds to it,cheers

I think you're the only one reading my notes Manchester. Nobody else commenting.

Tigers: Pretty much the same team as last year. One year older though and with a lot of veterans.

Verlander very shaky ace, Fulmer should bounceback from the after ASB collapse. Zimmerman, Sanchez, Norris.. Very, very shaky rotation. Any of these rotation guys could give up 6+ ER's and it would not surprise me.

Lineup is solid. defense pretty good. I will definitely be looking at overs with this team. Indians are the clear cut fave in this division so Tigers will need to get a WC bid to make it to the playoffs. If Verlander is more consistent, Fulmer pitches like a stud (very possible he's only 24) and the bottom part of rotation at least saves face they might be able to string a surprise successful season but I doubt it. Not good enough to contend. Look for overs.
    I will be betting Detroit under 85 1/2. Hopefully the number will still be there but I doubt it. This is a team of aging stars and when Ilich died a week or so ago, they are a prime candidate to sell off the parts and start a rebuilding job.

I think the AL west is the most competetive division. M's, rangers and houston all could be terrific. Ms going after bats at all costs make me think they will be a good over bet early as their middle pen is not overwhelming.

I think my sox are going to struggle to get the clutch hits and their pen will have issues. Solid 1-2-3 rotation but I hope they add just one more arm for depth.

I think my hometown team is no better than .500 too many young arms and no bench. I cant see Story solving his defense and strike out issues in one off season.

I like the marlins alot. Alot of cheap off season pickups made them extremely deep. Bp worries me.
    Think the nats are going to miss Ramos and their infield is getting awfully old very quick. Strasburgh injury woes along with a terrible middle BP and closer make me want to bet against them more than not.

Really like that AZ is so undervalued after last yr where every key injury hurt them. They traded offense for more starting pitching and could be sneaky good.

Dont like Pittsburgh at all. They are loaded on the farm and its clear they are sellers looking to save money shopping Mccutchen and Harrison.

Al central is solved to me. Detroit has a great 1-2-3 but all downhill from there and I never trust that pen. Also losing Maybin is going to hurt them, very little speed on that team.
    Also think Raja Davis was a great platoon player for Cleveland.

Thats all I can think of top of my head.

Default Re: Let's discuss the upcoming 2017 MLB season.

Yankees: Team with a world class BP and a lot of questions!!!

Chapman and Betances alone makes this team dangerous. Any lead after 7 innings will be golden. Rotation is shaky, not sure what to expect. Could be sneaky good if Sabathia and Severino come through but that is a big IF. Green is a little shaky too. Offense is not bad but I would prefer a little more power. Who can we count on to hit more than 25 HR's? I would not be surprised if no one hit over 22....

This team is still in rebounding mode and have a lot of prospects in the minors now. This team will be dangerous in 2019, not so much right now. Anything over 82 wins would be a surprise for me.
    I think they signed the home run slugger from the brewers....he hit over 40....I think they compete....the AL East is always tough...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    I think they signed the home run slugger from the brewers....he hit over 40....I think they compete....the AL East is always tough...
    Chris Carter is who you're thinking of and they signed him to a one year deal
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Chris Carter is who you're thinking of and they signed him to a one year deal
    It seemed like kind of an odd landing spot for Carter. He managed to top 40 HRs but slug under .500. He's a RH pull hitter and Yankee Stadium is beneficial to LH pull hitters. He also struck out over 200 times. 24 of his 41 HRs were at Miller Park. At least the signing was only for one year.

I think you're the only one reading my notes Manchester. Nobody else commenting.
    Gotta give some posters a pass....they are not posting as much mainly because of time differences and work schedules...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Betances was shaky after being moved to the closer's role.

He might be another Latroy Hawkins.

Astros:

Obvious contender with potent lineup, good defense, capable rotation and underrated depth. Lineup will be dangerous as the top 5 hitters all should have OPS over .800 and the bottom of the lineup will be platooned according to the pitcher. I like the depth this team has, they picked up Beltran, McCann, Reddick, Aoki to give the lineup flexibility and for simple depth. Every night a solid lineup will be going for the Astros no matter who has the night off.

Projected Lineup

1 George Springer OF 605 103 28 76 13 0.263 0.348 0.460 0.808 70 151
    2 Alex Bregman 3B 581 95 26 84 9 0.267 0.336 0.482 0.818 56 94
    3 Jose Altuve 2B 609 92 17 76 35 0.319 0.366 0.481 0.847 41 57
    4 Carlos Correa SS 582 77 24 99 16 0.275 0.347 0.469 0.816 62 117
    5 Carlos Beltran DH 474 60 22 73 1 0.281 0.329 0.483 0.812 33 80
    6 Brian McCann C 432 57 22 70 0 0.236 0.313 0.419 0.732 42 80
    7 Josh Reddick OF 438 57 14 52 7 0.272 0.327 0.427 0.754 36 57
    8 Yulieski Gurriel 1B 428 53 13 54 5 0.262 0.316 0.409 0.725 31 76
    9 Norichika Aoki OF 305 42 3 22 9 0.289 0.347 0.387 0.734 23 28

Rotation wise I am very concerned with Kuechel who's fastball lost velocity and who just wasn't that good last year. His control is something to watch closely. McClluers is someone I like quite a bit and imo the real ace of the team. Rounding out the rotation is Morton, Fiers, McHugh. There are some young arms waiting for a chance too.

I love the overall depth this team has and they are an obvious world series contender. One concern would be their SP, they could lose a 5 game series easily because they don't have a true dependable ace. This team will be winning a lot of games nonetheless.

I think you raise a good point about the rotation, Zealot. The obvious Achilles heel of the team is the starting pitching. They'll need Keuchel to get back to his 2015 form, or it will become McCullers and a bunch of 4th starters in short order.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Twins burned me pretty bad last year. The pitching hasn't improved either. Not optimistic about their chances this year.

No,not at all mate,plenty are..Have been looking for pictures of the Braves new home,Suntrust Park.All the stuff Ive managed to find is just the development...even on their facebook.Heard some talking heads say it may be a hitters park..but have not seen a single picture of the finished Stadium & field.Cheers for LU

It seemed like kind of an odd landing spot for Carter. He managed to top 40 HRs but slug under .500. He's a RH pull hitter and Yankee Stadium is beneficial to LH pull hitters. He also struck out over 200 times. 24 of his 41 HRs were at Miller Park. At least the signing was only for one year.
    This is the kind of stuff I read forums for,thanks V

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterUk View Post
    No,not at all mate,plenty are..Have been looking for pictures of the Braves new home,Suntrust Park.All the stuff Ive managed to find is just the development...even on their facebook.Heard some talking heads say it may be a hitters park..but have not seen a single picture of the finished Stadium & field.Cheers for LU
    They haven't finished construction yet. Here's a recent flyover video of SunTrust Park:

https://vimeo.com/201703291