What seed does Villanova get if they played in the Big Ten?

Thread: What seed does Villanova get if they played in the Big Ten?

Default What seed does Villanova get if they played in the Big Ten?

7?

It amazes me teams like Gonzaga and Villanova avoid the cake walk shame in seeding but Wichita still gets it.

Put Wisconsin in the little least and they can probably manage to finish with 3-4 losses too.

EOG Dedicated

Default Re: What seed does Villanova get if they played in the Big Ten?

I think seeding is a bit overrated IMO.....higher seeding means a team plays easier teams....but when a team gets in the final 16....a team has to win baby or they get killed. I have seen too many teams thru the years fall with higher seeds. It is more for tv than anything.

EOG Enthusiast

jmo, but teams like duke, nc, Kansas always have the easier path.....

Please make the Big East a 1 bid league. It's not fair to real conferences.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

If Villanova played in the big 10, they would face better competition than this version of the Big East. However It didn't hurt them last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    If Villanova played in the big 10, they would face better competition than this version of the Big East. However It didn't hurt them last year.
    Playing bad competition nightly helps you if the committee doesn't penalize you. I'll take a cushy path to the final four over so called building toughness in a hard conference.

If Wichita could roll through their crappy conference and still get a 1 seed they would do that every year. Villanova had been overseeded the last two years, the results don't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by BumgarnerWins View Post
    Playing bad competition nightly helps you if the committee doesn't penalize you. I'll take a cushy path to the final four over so called building toughness in a hard conference.

If Wichita could roll through their crappy conference and still get a 1 seed they would do that every year. Villanova had been overseeded the last two years, the results don't change that.
    They only won the national championship last year....beat a good NC team that might win it all this year....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

CUSE fans crying and Iowa was more deserving
    ​STAY FOCUSED

To be fair, few teams are going to play nova in philly, no big 10 team is going to play butler in Indy, and no team is going to play in Wichita.

To be fair, few teams are going to play nova in philly, no big 10 team is going to play butler in Indy, and no team is going to play in Wichita.
    So they're complaining they'll have to on the road 3-4 times a year in non conference when teams from power conferences do that 9 times + whatever they schedule out of conference as far as holiday tournaments?

I don't buy it... If you're in the Big 10, you go on the road in the Big 10 nine times. And the argument is that Wichita State is afraid to do it 3-4 times a year b/c they don't get a home return? Sound like a bunch of pussies to me.

I'm sure if they called up Nebraska for a road only, Nebraska would accept. Getting a win like that might persuade the committee to give them a 9 instead of a 10... who knows... That's not a good argument.

The committee needs to stop sucking off certain conferences like the ACC, but the mid majors who refuse to schedule road games need to suck it up. It's hard enough getting to the magical 19/20 wins in a power conference for them to agree to a road game in Wichita.

So they're complaining they'll have to on the road 3-4 times a year in non conference when teams from power conferences do that 9 times + whatever they schedule out of conference as far as holiday tournaments?

I don't buy it... If you're in the Big 10, you go on the road in the Big 10 nine times. And the argument is that Wichita State is afraid to do it 3-4 times a year b/c they don't get a home return? Sound like a bunch of pussies to me.

I'm sure if they called up Nebraska for a road only, Nebraska would accept. Getting a win like that might persuade the committee to give them a 9 instead of a 10... who knows... That's not a good argument.

The committee needs to stop sucking off certain conferences like the ACC, but the mid majors who refuse to schedule road games need to suck it up. It's hard enough getting to the magical 19/20 wins in a power conference for them to agree to a road game in Wichita.
    Well buy it, it happens all of the time in hoops. Why doesn't Illinois play Ill St, DePaul, ND? Most coaches want the easy win. Never thought of WS and Nebraska, but I'm sure WS would love to play them. It's a great recruiting tool when you are beating power conference teams, and the power conference teams know it.

Well buy it, it happens all of the time in hoops. Why doesn't Illinois play Ill St, DePaul, ND? Most coaches want the easy win. Never thought of WS and Nebraska, but I'm sure WS would love to play them. It's a great recruiting tool when you are beating power conference teams, and the power conference teams know it.
    When you're in a power conference, you should schedule automatic wins that help your RPI...

Instead of scheduling the #330 NJIT, you schedule #120 Winthrop... that's what Illinois did this year, and they choked that game, and it probably cost them the tournament.

But that's better than what Bruce Weber used to do, he used to schedule 10 #330s and then their RPI was terrible so they needed 21/22 wins to get in.

You can't put this on people in the ACC or Big 10 or Big 12... maybe the SEC/Big East teams should be shamed for not accepting Wichita's call, because their conference isn't that strong.

Big East has 2 teams in sweet 16

Villanova was the defending champs.

If the seeding moronic, yes (especially the B10 this year which everyone talked about after the draw came out), but to claim the Big East is extra weak or something is ridiculous (they had 3 terrible teams which is what the Pac 12 had, Big 10 had 1, ACC had 1).

They had good teams who all deserved to be in dance, Marquette and Providence were obviously questionable, the only team who got screwed this year imo was Illinois State.
    "Once you in it, you in it. If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie, but we gotta fight"
    -Slim Charles (also the new motto of pregame.com)

When you're in a power conference, you should schedule automatic wins that help your RPI...

Instead of scheduling the #330 NJIT, you schedule #120 Winthrop... that's what Illinois did this year, and they choked that game, and it probably cost them the tournament.

But that's better than what Bruce Weber used to do, he used to schedule 10 #330s and then their RPI was terrible so they needed 21/22 wins to get in.

You can't put this on people in the ACC or Big 10 or Big 12... maybe the SEC/Big East teams should be shamed for not accepting Wichita's call, because their conference isn't that strong.
    Most teams try to schedule non-conference games close to home, unless it's a tourney or espn. Heck, UCLA and Arizona wanted no part of scheduling UNLV back in the Tark days. If the mid-major is a threat to their recruiting, they will never get the game. G-Town and Syracuse schedules were jokes for years, it cost Syracuse this year.

I guess my question is, if you're Wichita, and you know your conference schedule is going to be 16 jokes and Illinois State twice... why do you open the season with #340 South Carolina State?

You're telling me you couldn't have called someone like Winthrop or Vermont or Bucknell and got them to come in? I find that hard to believe... You start subbing some of these #300s they had on their schedule with 100's and then you're looking at a resume that might get you a 6 or 7 seed, rather than a 10...

When you're in the Missouri Valley, your non conference should have zero gimmes. Period.

Schedules are made way in advance...now Javey thinks is an athletic director....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Schedules are made way in advance...now Javey thinks is an athletic director....
    Not true. This isn't football, they fill out a schedule less than a year in advance for a lot of their games. Nice try though.

How did Wright win it all again last year? Bastard back in fine form this year.

I guess my question is, if you're Wichita, and you know your conference schedule is going to be 16 jokes and Illinois State twice... why do you open the season with #340 South Carolina State?

You're telling me you couldn't have called someone like Winthrop or Vermont or Bucknell and got them to come in? I find that hard to believe... You start subbing some of these #300s they had on their schedule with 100's and then you're looking at a resume that might get you a 6 or 7 seed, rather than a 10...

When you're in the Missouri Valley, your non conference should have zero gimmes. Period.
    I agree. They need better teams than Vermont or Bucknell though. You schedule a game in Wisc and recruit a stud from there. Play the Illini in Chicago and recruit Chicago. Schedule a tourney in Puerto Rico. These are things that the Zags had to do. I guess it depends on what the long term goals of their program are. It's tough for them as they can't move to a bigger conference because of their other sports.