Brainstorming next Duke and UNC coaches

Thread: Brainstorming next Duke and UNC coaches

EOG Senior Member

Default Brainstorming next Duke and UNC coaches

With each tourney that passes, this topic comes to mind. Some random thoughts on potential replacements...

Insiders:

Both programs are a little light in the field right now...

- Duke currently has alums Hurley, Wojo, and Collins in the HC ranks. UNC currently has alums Jeff Lebo, Wes Miller, and King Rice out there.

- Both programs have some longtime assistants on staff, including alums Jeff Capel for Duke and Hubert Davis for UNC. Pretty certain though that none of these assistants would be considered as replacements.

Outsiders:

- Brad Stevens (40): apparently would only consider leaving the NBA for one of these two jobs. Decent chance he'll coach one of these programs at some point in his career. For now though, could be with the Celtics for another 5 years minimum with LeBron nearing his downside and the Celts developing youthful core and stacking picks.

- 2nd best: Billy Donovan (51)

- 3rd best: perhaps Gregg Marshall or Jay Wright, but both in mid-50's already and current lifers.

- Wildcards: Sean Miller (48), Tony Bennett (47), Hoiberg (44), Shaka Smart (39)

Thoughts?

Default Re: Brainstorming next Duke and UNC coaches

Duke - Collins is really setting himself up well.

North Carolina - I have to eliminate most of those names:
    * Hubert. Hasn't coached lone enuf.
    * Lebo/Miller/Rice - pretty low-profile at the moment.
    ...My bet for UNC = Marshall. He's currently at mid-major, his record speaks for itself.

How many more years for Roy? Marshall is definitely capable of stepping up to the big-leagues.

EOG Senior Member

Replacements for both programs within 2-5 years. Coach K (70) stubborn as a mule (learned that from his coach/idol Bobby Knight). Still dying his hair. Wouldn't surprise me if his goal was to last until 75. Roy is (66), which has been the breaking point for most historically.

Use to be a religious tobacco road follower, not quite as much anymore. Today just got me thinking more seriously about this..

I like it when subpar coaches lead powerhouse programs.

Makes for good spots to fade the favorite.

My best example of a nothing coach with a strong roster comes from the WNBA when Michael Cooper was in charge of the Los Angeles Sparks.

i heard a story last year that one of the principal owners of the Celtics has very strong Duke ties and has told Stevens he has the Duke job if he wants it when K steps aside.....

EOG Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyG View Post
    Duke - Collins is really setting himself up well.

North Carolina - I have to eliminate most of those names:
    * Hubert. Hasn't coached lone enuf.
    * Lebo/Miller/Rice - pretty low-profile at the moment.
    ...My bet for UNC = Marshall. He's currently at mid-major, his record speaks for itself.

How many more years for Roy? Marshall is definitely capable of stepping up to the big-leagues.
    Yeah, Duke better set-up currently with Collins or Wojo. Hurley isn't rated as high internally since he never served as an assistant for Coach K after his playing days. Whereas Collins and Wojo did 13 and 15 years respectively under Coach K.

For UNC, Wes Miller is too young and only decent at Greensboro thus far. UNC internal pipeline basically dry.

Coach K will essentially make the decision on his successor, so you know he would hate going outside the family unless Stevens (specifically) was interested. And even then, that still might not sit right with him.

Marshall definitely seems to be waiting for a blue blood job. UCLA really wanted to interview him 4 years ago before they hired Alford, but Wichita was on their Final Four run at the time and UCLA got impatient. Could easily see him taking the UNC or UCLA jobs if they open soonish. Would be surprised if he took the Indiana job.

Tricky thing about these jobs, Duke and UNC will ideally want someone still in their 40's.