Goon's NHL Playoffs - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Goon's NHL Playoffs

Default Re: Goon's NHL Playoffs

A few comments on the second round games so far. I have focused on the Sens vs Rangers and Blues vs Preds series, have watched less of the other two series.

Rangers can get a forecheck going because Anderson can't handle the puck. He should never leave his crease, he almost gave away game 2 in OT and Turris bailed him out with a goal line block and then he continued to try to get out and stop the dump ins and cost them the second goal last night. Contrast that with what Rinne is doing for the Preds. The blues can't get to any dump ins because Rinne is always first to the puck behind the net and ready to start a breakout. It is no accident that he already has two assists in the playoffs with their transition game.

Rangers are unfortunate to be behind, they could have won game 1 and really should have won game 2. Took my son to game 2 and I have to say that was one of the better games I've been to, the building was shaking when they tied it up with 1:02 left. Lundy could have played better, seems to me he is worried too much about giving up rebounds and is focusing more on where the puck might go after the puck than worrying about stopping that initial shot. I think going forward, the Rangers have made an adjustment on their transition in the center ice and are moving the puck quicker, making for an easy entry in the zone, avoiding that left side trap that Boucher has Ottawa work with. If they continue to dump pucks in and chip away at the Sens D they will get results in the series. Neither PP has been very good, but at least the Rangers get chances short handed, Grabner has been really good that way. I am impressed with the poise and positioning of Skjei, he doesn't seem to get in trouble defensively and always does the simple things to move the puck forward. Stone and Karlsson are playing hurt for Ottawa, I think whoever wins game 4 will go on to win the series.

Edmundsson took some dumb penalties last night, he got the late goal to get the Blues back in it but that's just lipstick on a pig, he has had a tough series, the Preds are targetting him and he doesn't know how to handle the pressure. Pereyko on the other hand has been unbelievable, making smart decisions under pressure and that goal he scored through Rinne's legs shows how much poise and how smart he is. Allen and Rinne have been outstanding, nothing bothers them in spite of massive traffic in front of both nets, this is a war of attrition and there is not much to differentiate between the two teams but I think the Preds defense offers more options and they are up 3-1 without the big line really checking in yet.

Everybody seems to be panicking now that Crosby is out for the Pens but I think they still have enough firepower to get by the Caps. Credit to the Caps for not caving in going to OT in game 3, but if they think they have the Pens where they want them now they got another thing coming. I expect Malkin to have a monster game tonight, this is really the season for the Pens. I think Fleury has outplayed Holtby so far and has finally shaken off that moniker of a playoff choker. He could still be up and down but I think mentally he is in his zen place and believes he can carry this team. Pens are not generating enough chances, they are reliant on their PP and need to start firing more on net rather than look for the perfect opportunity. Caps are in the same boat, they need to get more opportunities off the rush rather than wait for that Ovy one timer on the PP. I have no idea where this series is going, if you're holding out hope for Crosby to play then stick with Pens, otherwise flip a coin.

I was really shocked that Edmonton managed to win both games in Anaheim, Carlyle has to get him matchups figured out and stick with one thing for the entire game. The Ducks are winning faceoffs at 60% clip and that is their recipe for success. I think the ducks were too busy trying to contain McDavid that they somehow forgot there are other weapons on this Oilers team. Not sure where the series goes from here but I expect we will continue to see some scoring, Ducks are the type of team that will fire a lot of rubber at Talbot and get in his face more so than the Sharks did in the first round while that tandem in Anaheim hasn't really gotten my full confidence either.
    If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

BEANTOWNJIM IS A STIFF AND A FRAUD

moniker of a playoff choker? Fleury has done enough where he never has that moniker.

I think Pittsburgh is in big trouble without their best D and their best forward.

As for Blues/Preds, this series could easily be tied up if not for a huge blown call in the third last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    darvish ryu are the 2 best pitchers, id use Kershaw in set up roll for jansen.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow Wilson View Post
    Rail last night on eog radio: "Darvish and Tanaka are the two best pitchers in baseball."

After winning the cup in 09, Fleury was a playoff choker, 22-27 and never going past the 2nd round again. He lost his starting job at the start of the playoffs last season to a rookie goalie with no significant NHL experience. On a team with Malkin and Crosby he buried those teams' chances of advancing more than once in the past 7 seasons. His only two seasons with above average GAA in the playoffs (.920 and I am being generous here, most teams would require a .930 SV% to do well in the playoffs) were 08 and 15. He was 53-45 coming into this year's playoffs with .906 SV% and 2.66 GAA.

It's this stretch between 2010 and 2013 when the Pens only won one series in 4 seasons that really gave him a playoff choker reputation.

2009-10 25 PIT NHL 13 13 7 6 0 37 339 302 .891 2.78 1 798 3 .231 3 119 -5.83 0 0 0 2
    2010-11 26 PIT NHL 7 7 3 4 17 168 151 .899 2.52 1 405 4 .571 3 120 -2.81 0 0 0 0
    2011-12 27 PIT NHL 6 6 2 4 26 157 131 .834 4.63 0 337 1 .167 4 211 -13.65 0 1 1 0
    2012-13 28 PIT NHL 5 4 2 2 17 145 128 .883 3.52 1 290 1 .250 1 152 -5.80 0 1 1 0
    The Blues have been playing ropeadope style all playoffs long and while that worked well against Minnesota because their D forced a lot of shots from the outside and very few second chance opportunities, the speed of the Preds forecheck is giving them fits. Allen is not seeing a lot of pucks and while he's still making unbelievable saves, the Preds are doing enough to get by. Yes, that penalty was a major factor in the outcome of the game last night but the refs have been doing that all playoffs long, picking one guy from the scrum. Edmundson going rogue and the too many men penalty cost the blues just as much as the one refereeing call in that game. The Blues have led for less than 5 minutes all series, hard to see how this should be 2-2 going back to Scottrade Center.

A lot of people looked at their late season push and thought Blues were a dark horse but if you look closer, of their 9-3 down the stretch, how many of those wins were against the Colorado's and the Arizona's of the world?

my point was that he was already teflon

It would be like calling Tom Brady a choker because before a few years ago, he hadn't won the SB in a long time and repeatedly lost playoff games.

Once you've proven it, you've proven it.

Bruce Boudreau hasn't, Ovechkin hasn't, etc.

Fleury had already been the goalie on a team that went to the SCF and on a team that won the SCF.

The fact that he struggled in the playoffs after that doesn't give him the label.

He's 59-47 in the playoffs.

Rail last night on eog radio: "Darvish and Tanaka are the two best pitchers in baseball."

Fair enough! Are Getzlaf and Perry chokers in your book? Because they are in mine, in spite of winning a cup together early in their careers. Maybe our definitions are different but if you haven't done as much as you should have with your potential you're under performing and if you are under performing in the playoffs time and again you're choking on the big stage.

one play for me tonight:

Away teams +100 1 unit

not in mine.

I like to affix the label to Washington/San Jose and their staff and players, but Washington is being gift wrapped a Cup this year.

I still will say the Caps are chokers. This is ridiculous how the other top teams all lose and/or get major injuries. Toronto, then Pittsburgh without Crosby/Letang/Sheary/Murray, then Ottawa/Rangers, then what, Nashville? Ridiculously easy path.

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. As good as Crosby is, the Pens have not lost this series yet and Washington has not won it either. Pens need 2 more wins and have 2 more games at home. This series I feel is far from over. Let's see what the Pens look like fielding a team without Crosby and then without Crosby on their home ice. Let's not forget the Pens are stacked with players who already know what it takes to win a cup. And that's an intangible that's coveted.

Caps are an OT goal away from being 0-3 in this series after blowing that 2-0 leads in the closing minutes in game 3. I think we see a monster effort from Malkin tonight, I don't know if that will be enough but even if the Caps win this game and the series, as Bushay said not an automatic, they are not winning the cup playing the way they have been playing so far in these playoffs. Holtby is not playing at the same level he was playing at in last year's playoffs. While I like Trotz' approach to managing, they are still not playing the desperate style of hockey needed to win a cup. They are too reliant on the PP, the 5 on 5 play has been lacking aside from that late push in the 3rd and OT in game 6 in Toronto.

PIT is just gutted

missing two top line forwards, top goalie, top D

and that includes a top 5 D and perhaps the best all around player in the NHL

speaking of perry/getzlaf, they may finally be reunited tonight

they've been kept separate for a very long time but with the Eaves injury, Perry could be bumped to the top line

Fleury riding some confidence right now.

PP Caps, he'll see some rubber here.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

I'll just root for Canada in these playoffs.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenGoon View Post
    Caps are an OT goal away from being 0-3 in this series after blowing that 2-0 leads in the closing minutes in game 3. I think we see a monster effort from Malkin tonight, I don't know if that will be enough but even if the Caps win this game and the series, as Bushay said not an automatic, they are not winning the cup playing the way they have been playing so far in these playoffs. Holtby is not playing at the same level he was playing at in last year's playoffs. While I like Trotz' approach to managing, they are still not playing the desperate style of hockey needed to win a cup. They are too reliant on the PP, the 5 on 5 play has been lacking aside from that late push in the 3rd and OT in game 6 in Toronto.
    In fairness, we also haven't seen the Caps with their backs against the wall either. They got down 2-1 to the Leafs and responded with 3 straight wins to close them out including 2 in Toronto and I don't care what anyone says, that Leafs team was gamey and were in every single game. Pens averaged over 4 goals a game vs Bobrovsky who's up for the MVP of the league award. And this is not the first time Fleury has put together a run like this when they needed him. This is just the type of situation the Pens were thinking about by not moving him at the deadline. Still plenty of firepower in that Pens lineup with Kessel and Malkin, especially with a man advantage.

this is amazing

I don't think it's all THAT amazing. To me anyways. This is still a quality team with good people up top. Maybe over time is another story, but Crosby's presence is still in that locker room with them every night. They are still a team built very much like the Blackhawks. Few high salary guys at the top who lead and groom the younger guys. The main difference is the Pens role players are speedier than all get out. And speed kills in the NHL. Still takes 4 to wrap up a series though.

That was all emotion on their home ice. Let's see what game 5 is all about.

they rely so much on Letang, I already thought they'd be out in the second round without him

their D is underwhelming

Schultz, Streit, Daley, Maatta, Dumoulin....

and then at forward, guys like Kunitz and Cullen now have to play big roles and they're at the end of careers that were underwhelming

Malkin is great, Kessel is good, Hornqvist good, and then not much else

Eventus stultorum magister NowshesmyRuca's Avatar

Zig zagging working again.
    Clowns make me laugh! :+textinb3

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bushay View Post
    I don't think it's all THAT amazing. To me anyways. This is still a quality team with good people up top. Maybe over time is another story, but Crosby's presence is still in that locker room with them every night. They are still a team built very much like the Blackhawks. Few high salary guys at the top who lead and groom the younger guys. The main difference is the Pens role players are speedier than all get out. And speed kills in the NHL. Still takes 4 to wrap up a series though.

That was all emotion on their home ice. Let's see what game 5 is all about.
    Its a game that will be 5-1 Wash or lose 2-1. My money will be on the latter.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    they rely so much on Letang, I already thought they'd be out in the second round without him

their D is underwhelming

Schultz, Streit, Daley, Maatta, Dumoulin....

and then at forward, guys like Kunitz and Cullen now have to play big roles and they're at the end of careers that were underwhelming

Malkin is great, Kessel is good, Hornqvist good, and then not much else
    Your underestimating a lot of those guys. If I'm not mistaken they did not know Letangs long term injury prognosis at the deadline and went out and got Hainsey as an insurance policy. Never can have enough good defence men. Who's a no name type of stud in terms of steady, plays his position, no frills, plays hard, knows the game and is loaded with experience. And they got Maatta back. He excelled in the finals last year. Daley got rejuvenated. Schultz is the QB that underachieved in Edm but everyone knew he was loaded with talent. Daley's playing like he did in Dallas. Rutherford knew Letang was very questionable and stocked up. No one was giving away impactful Dmen at the deadline. They are now defence by committee. Seems to be working. Rutherford has 2 rings already.

I respectfully disagree with your analogy.

Getzlaf is having a monster game tonight...

Your underestimating a lot of those guys. If I'm not mistaken they did not know Letangs long term injury prognosis at the deadline and went out and got Hainsey as an insurance policy. Never can have enough good defence men. Who's a no name type of stud in terms of steady, plays his position, no frills, plays hard, knows the game and is loaded with experience. And they got Maatta back. He excelled in the finals last year. Daley got rejuvenated. Schultz is the QB that underachieved in Edm but everyone knew he was loaded with talent. Daley's playing like he did in Dallas. Rutherford knew Letang was very questionable and stocked up. No one was giving away impactful Dmen at the deadline. They are now defence by committee. Seems to be working. Rutherford has 2 rings already.

I respectfully disagree with your analogy.
    what analogy?

I think the D corps for PIT would be bottom half in the NHL if you ranked all the teams.

Washington certainly has a clear edge there, with one of the better D corps.

He's a totally different player the last month+.

like the Getzlaf of old.

It sort of can be tracked back to the Eaves trade but tonight, of course, he's excelling without him.

On another note, I got invited to the DraftKings suite at MSG for tomorrow night. I have a friend who's a Rangers fan so I invited him to come along.

Win or lose.....Oilers need to get some more size next year if they want to take another step forward.

Washington has outshot Pittsburgh by 49 in the series!

TYVM Morgan William!!! winkyduck's Avatar

Oilers GIFT WRAPPED this win tonight for the Inferior Ones. The Oilers had enough Turnovers to stock a bakery for 5 years. I the Oilers lose this series they will look back on this game as the reason why. They SHOULD be up 31. Not tied 2-2
    The mind is a terrible thing to waste unless we are talking about the MORONS who post at Covers where the collective Sports Gambling IQ for the ENTIRE site is.................4!!! and even that might be too high

what was the series price on WAS/PIT before Game 4? I feel the Caps should've been a small favorite.

what analogy?

I think the D corps for PIT would be bottom half in the NHL if you ranked all the teams.

Washington certainly has a clear edge there, with one of the better D corps.
    you seem to get offended when I question your knowledge or opinion of the teams and the players.

This is basically the same d corps that won the cup last season. Minus Letang, but they added another 1st round pick in Hainsey at the deadline. And Streit. They won without Letang in the past too as he's a walking disable list regular. The whole core are 1st or 2nd round draft choices with at least one ring apiece other than Hainsey. Not sure what your basing this on?

And yes..the Caps have arguably one of the better defenses in the league based on the stats. Yet every year they seem to come up short in the heart department.

what was the series price on WAS/PIT before Game 4? I feel the Caps should've been a small favorite.
    I doubt they hung one.

Reopened Pit -165 and went down as low as Pit -125 between game 3 and game 4.

Capitals could be the play in Game 5. Gutty effort by the Penguins in the last game. Hard for them to maintain it again, agree?

Quote Originally Posted by winkyduck View Post
    Oilers GIFT WRAPPED this win tonight for the Inferior Ones. The Oilers had enough Turnovers to stock a bakery for 5 years. I the Oilers lose this series they will look back on this game as the reason why. They SHOULD be up 31. Not tied 2-2
    Not so sure about this. Yes, Oilers dominated the 1P and created plenty of chances off turnovers, especially on the PP however the two goals they got were quite fortunate on a couple of bounces. The Ducks took over and dominated the next 30 minutes, had chances to put it away. Oilers came on strong in the final 5 minutes and got a PP to pile on late. If Ducks PP clicks at any point this game is a no contest late. The one thing Oilers did better than at any point in the series is play physical and put pressure on the Ducks defense but at this point the Oilers really need to worry about containing multiple lines with Getzlaf really turning into a nightmare for them as well as Silfverberg's like finishing chances. It was interesting to see the two of those guys on the same line in OT and it paid off with the winner, although the refs missed an icing leading up to the goal.

you seem to get offended when I question your knowledge or opinion of the teams and the players.

This is basically the same d corps that won the cup last season. Minus Letang, but they added another 1st round pick in Hainsey at the deadline. And Streit. They won without Letang in the past too as he's a walking disable list regular. The whole core are 1st or 2nd round draft choices with at least one ring apiece other than Hainsey. Not sure what your basing this on?

And yes..the Caps have arguably one of the better defenses in the league based on the stats. Yet every year they seem to come up short in the heart department.
    Where did I get offended? I just asked what analogy?

I made no analogy.

What I'm basing it on is they lost Letang and added little. Hainsey is 36 and was not in high demand. Streit is 39 and not in demand.

Grabbing these before they move
    Game 5: Ducks -134 over Oilers 1 unit. Ducks traffic really bothering Oilers, they are not getting the same goaltending they were getting vs Sharks. Getzlaf is on fire and Ducks are getting secondary scoring. Their defense moves the puck well, and experience is finally a factor in this series, the way the Oilers lost game 4 might have them try to do too much individually in this one and get themselves in trouble.

Friday Home Teams -130 1 unit. There's a bit of danger here if Preds get ahead vs Blues, but I expect a bit more desperation from St Louis. Hard to see Ducks losing 3 straight at home to Oilers, they just need to stay out of penalty trouble and they will be ok.

Saturday: Rangers -105 over Ottawa 2 units
    Ottawa is just banged up and the quick turnaround won't help. Good decision from Boucher to sit Anderson and Karlsson in the 3rd but the Rangers have finally figured out how to get pucks in deep and cycle and Ottawa has no answer for it, especially their 3rd pair. Expect Ottawa to bring Neil into the game to deal with some of the liberties the Rangers have been taking physically but he won't be able to turn the tide.

Good luck. I agree with most everything you typed here. I've lost most faith in my Blues small play. They would need a thrilling 2-3 OT win to jumpstart their confidence enough to overcome a Nashville crowd on the verge of another series clinching win. But very well could/should wrap this up tonight. Not only is Nashville beating them on the ice but Yeo is being out coached by Lavalette as well.

What is this line telling us about the Blues chances tonight? Here's a team who played some of the best hockey since Yeo and Brodeur took over and took the Wild down in 5. Yet in game 5 of this series they are barely above a pickum in their own building to a team with the worst win% of all the playoff teams when you eliminate OT/so stats on the reg season. .512.

Not sure of your combined record in this thread but you've been pretty Bang on of late with your evaluation.

After winning the cup in 09, Fleury was a playoff choker, 22-27 and never going past the 2nd round again. He lost his starting job at the start of the playoffs last season to a rookie goalie with no significant NHL experience. On a team with Malkin and Crosby he buried those teams' chances of advancing more than once in the past 7 seasons. His only two seasons with above average GAA in the playoffs (.920 and I am being generous here, most teams would require a .930 SV% to do well in the playoffs) were 08 and 15. He was 53-45 coming into this year's playoffs with .906 SV% and 2.66 GAA.

It's this stretch between 2010 and 2013 when the Pens only won one series in 4 seasons that really gave him a playoff choker reputation.

Got to disagree with this analysis of Fleury. The team was decimated with injury's the majority of those years and for the past few years the Pens have been one of the most injury prone teams in the NHL with man games lost.

2010 Crosby, Staal , Guerin were all hurt and they lost in conference semi finals
    2011 They were decimated Crosby, Malkin were both out and I think their top line was something along the lines of Staal, Kovalev and Neal then nothing
    2012 They go smoked by Flyers in the 1st round and the Flyers were definitely in the teams head with their aggressive play
    2013 Fleury got hurt in the 1st round but pens got smoked by boston in ECF

Has Fleury let in some questionable goals in the playoffs yes. I would not call him a choker by any means. When he is on he is rock solid

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...s-leaders.html

Fleury is one win behind Lundqvist for 13th all time in playoff wins. That's pretty good.

Rangers and Penguins are a pretty likely matchup next round, too.

Pittsburgh needs Crosby and Sheary back, and the return of Matt Murray would be nice, too.