Horses of Interest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses of Interest

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Default Horses of Interest

Apr 18th…. I have a couple of potential plays at PARX I’d like to share…. Before continuing, most plays I post will be “price” oriented using the morning line and my own past experience as a “value” barometer…. Since I’ll tear up more losing tickets than winners, please be mindful of my recommended strike rate if electing to follow along….

First potential play is PARX/Race2…. This is projected to be a “chaos” race for cheap claimers (NW2L) routing 8.3 furlongs…. The #4, Curlin Crush, has an “A” contender grade based on the analytics I use to separate contenders (“A+” = Best)…. This horse is fourth choice on the ML at 5/1…. Fresh off breaking his maiden (MDC$10k), Curlin Crush is facing winners for the first time and appears to properly entered (race conditions) per sharp barn…. Tactical early speed a plus as he will most likely be chasing the PEN shipper (#7) and should get first run verse the others…. 1 for 12 lifetime record and overall chaos nature or race a major concern, so need minimum 9/2 tote odds accordingly…. Other contenders =
    #6 Mr. Charles (MLO 3/1) – Grade B
    #5 Rocky the Kid (MLO 8/1) – Grade C
    #8 Eastern Front (MLO 5/2) – Grade C
    #1 Extrovert (MLO 10/1) – Non Contender but interesting than Trevor McCarthy is riding?

Next, PARX/Race5…. Projected to be an “orderly” allowance race (NW1) for sprinters traveling 5.5 furlongs…. The #2, Atlantis Romance, has an “A” contender rating and is fifth choice on the ML at 8/1…. This 4 yr old filly does not look all that competitive on paper; but, I like the race two back showing strong early speed and tiring late…. Last race poor showing a concern but like the 46 day layoff and should fire fresh…. I think this filly has upside and will gamble at 6/1 or higher…. Other contenders =
    #7 Polite Pearl (MLO 3/1) – Grade B+
    #6 Miss Avalon (MLO 2/1) – Grade C
    #1 Simplylucky (MLO 9/2) – Grade C

BOL!

Default Re: Horses of Interest

Nice call in race 2, Skip. Good luck in the 5th!

Didn't get the price points, but wins are wins. Great job, Skip!

Nice work today Skip Away! Thanks for sharing.

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 18th Results:
    I plan on posting selections for the next several days as potential price opportunities present themselves.... I also plan to track results…. Neither of my two plays today met my minimum odds requirement.... Current Record = 0 for 0.

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Thanks, Rdalert447…. RE: Price Points

I’m an old school, database guy…. I like to use analytics to point me in the right direction (i.e.: “fishing in the right ponds”) and then apply handicapping experience to confirm or reject the “output”.

I tried for years to make the perfect oddsline…. In fact, I made a killer line as every one of my projected 2/1 shots won on average 33% of the time…. The problem was “on average” as most of the winners won as tote underlays and the resulting overlays did not win enough to generate a positive ROI…. There’s just too much race-to-race variance as I’m not good enough to make a viable, automated probability estimate…. Not saying it can’t be done, just admitting I can’t do it!

Instead, I have database (past history) metrics that project three different race types = Dominant; Orderly; and Chaos…. I then use five different multi-factor algorithms to produce five separate models unique to each race type…. There is some minor correlation between models; but, I liken it to using a consensus of five expert handicappers resulting in contender choices based on an A-B-C “strength” approach…. Then, I use a value based algorithm to further separate contenders as “A+” thru “D”.

Sorry for the background details; but I thought it might be helpful to properly answer your question regarding “price points”…. All contenders are classified (based on “race type”) into four tote board odds ranges:

L = Low Odds (Dominant race type must be less than 3 to 1; Orderly race type must be less than 3.5 to 1; and Chaos race type must be less than 4 to 1).
    S = Sweet Spot Odds (All race types subtracting one from field size…. For example, an eight horse field equals odds of 7 to 1 or less to qualify).
    N = Natural Odds (Dominant race type <= Field Size times 1.5; Orderly race type <= Field Size times 1.75; and Chaos race type <= Field Size times 2).
    H = High Odds (All odds greater than Natural Odds as defined above).

The “plays” I’m posting for the next several days involve “A+” and “A” qualified contenders only based on a couple of pre-race filters and tote conditions as follows:

“A+” selection must be greater than MLO rank 1 with tote odds falling into the Low or Sweet Spot range based on a minimum odds requirement of 2/1.

“A” selection must be greater than MLO rank 2 with tote odds falling into the Natural Odds range only.

If you deviate from these guidelines, please make sure you’ve properly vetted the race using your normal handicapping routines.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Thanks for sharing, Skip Away.

Your former trainer (Sonny Hine) seemed like a good guy.

Skip Away served as the child the Hines, Sonny and Carolyn, never had.

BEANTOWNJIM IS A STIFF AND A FRAUD

nice picks, shame they got bet down

had a little on atlantis at rd's recommendation

looking forward to future posts
    Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    darvish ryu are the 2 best pitchers, id use Kershaw in set up roll for jansen.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow Wilson View Post
    Rail last night on eog radio: "Darvish and Tanaka are the two best pitchers in baseball."

As you stated fishing in the correct ponds is important

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by blueline View Post
    As you stated fishing in the correct ponds is important
    For me personally, it's all about science verse art.... The primary reason I'm posting plays is I've been taking too many shortcuts using the "science" and not enough handicapping "art".

Here’s a look at some of the data I use as a "starting point" to hopefully better illustrate what I’m talking in my earlier post:

Oops, I see there's a pdf file size limit..."no go" on the attachments.

Its easy to get "lazy" and black box it relying on the science.
    For me I liken it to a chef in a well-stocked kitchen.
    I have a bunch of ingredients at my disposal..the science...and I use some of this and a little of that and come up with something..the art

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 19th….

First potential play is AQU/Race7 (Turf only)…. This is projected to be a “chaos” race for nice allowance fillies and mares (NW1) routing 8.5 furlongs on turf…. The #5, Glory to Kitten, has an “A” contender grade and is fifth choice on the ML at 8/1…. She has been racing against easier at GP and I’m a little skeptical that her front running style will transfer to the AQU grass? However, I really like the race four back at CD where see rated off the pace and made a nice late run for second in a MSW affair…. To me, Junior Alvarado is typically underrated and I expect him to work out a good trip…. Very competitive race and will take a shot at 8/1 or higher…. Other contenders =
    #1 Volatility Index (MLO 5/2) – Grade C
    #10 War Queen (MLO 4/1) – Grade C
    #8 Realistic (MLO 5/1) – Grade C-
    #7 Battlement (MLO 6/1) – Grade C-

Next, MVR/Race8…. Projected to be a “chaos” MSW race for sprinters traveling 5.5 furlongs…. The #5, Divine Appointment, has an “A+” contender rating and is co third choice on the ML at 8/1…. This 3 yr old filly is making fifth start after finishing a well beaten fourth at 9/5 odds…. Gets a rider switch to leading jockey and will probably take tote action accordingly…. I am hesitant to back this filly despite the strong A+ rating and instead, going to make a small action wager only based on her hitting the board…. I going to use her in the trifecta (and maybe super) with the second time starter, #3, Hot Pink…. I gambling this 2TS will show big improvement for sharp owner/trainer Elliot Sullivan…Proposed ticket as follows: 3-5/3-5/all; 3-5/all/3-5; and all/3-5/3-5. Other contenders =
    #10 Dashing Cat (MLO 6/1) – Grade C+
    #8 Ginger Fizz (MLO 7/5) – Grade C-
    #3 Hot Pink (MLO 8/1) – Grade C-
    #2 Ohio Rose (MLO 6/1) – Grade D

BOL!

Horse Racing Enthusiast

After scratches, revise playable odds for AQU Race 7 for #5, Glory to Kitten, from 8/1 to 6/1.

Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Skip Away.

Your former trainer (Sonny Hine) seemed like a good guy.

Skip Away served as the child the Hines, Sonny and Carolyn, never had.
    I always thought TVG's Nick Hines was Sonny's son. I guess not.

results:

MV horse missed board
    AQ horse did not meet requirements

Rail last night on eog radio: "Darvish and Tanaka are the two best pitchers in baseball."

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrunner View Post
    I always thought TVG's Nick Hines was Sonny's son. I guess not.
    you would think that being a foolish lib,

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 20th…. 3 Potential Plays:

First play is HAW/Race1 (4:10pm central)…. This is projected to be a “dominant” race (NW1) for IL bred allowance fillies and mares routing 8.5 furlongs on dirt…. The #1, Saturday's Song, has an “A+” contender grade and is second choice on the ML at 3/1…. This 3yr old filly is facing older making 3rd lifetime start and first try around two turns…. Above average pedigree suggests she is more than capable as does her last “even” paced effort sprinting 6f…. Seasoned 4 yr old, Prairie Chick (#5), is main competition but I’m expecting her to be over-bet and hopefully, regress off her best ever last race…. In contrast, I’m expecting Saturday’s Song to move forward and improve for sharp jockey/trainer combo…. Will back at 2/1 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #5 Prairie Chick (MLO 6/5) – Grade B+

Next, KEE/Race9 (Turf Only @ 4:30pm central)…. Projected to be a “chaos” MSW turf route for 3 yr old fillies traveling 8.5 furlongs…. This race is loaded but I’m interested in #12, How (IRE)… She has an “A+” contender rating and is second choice on the ML at 9/2…. This filly ships from FG and is making third US start after four prior losing efforts abroad…. Finished second in last at “odds-on” off rank, hard-to-handle wide trip…. Prior start was also a near miss off brutal trip…. Like 3rd time Tom Proctor; like 3rd time Lasix; like the 40 day freshening to fix “rank” issues; like recent sharp 5f work @ KEE; and like jockey switch to Geroux…. Don’t like outside post; but, will play at 3/1 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #9 Kahrumana (MLO 2/1) – Grade A
    #7 Pounds to Pennies (MLO 4/1) – Grade D
    #11 Suburb (MLO 6/1) – Grade D
    #3 Youngest Daughter (MLO 8/1) – Grade C-
    #8 Dynamic War (MLO 30/1) – Grade C-

BOL!

Horse Racing Enthusiast

For anyone interested, I've attached a "generic" PDF worksheet sorted alphabetically by track name illustrating corresponding contender grades.... If grade field is "blank" = non-contender.... All grades generated from five separate models as discussed earlier.... "Y" symbol in Bump column denotes "value" upgrade included and reflected in contender grade.

All other columns self-explanatory.

Reminder: Worksheet Data represents/serves as a "starting point" only as each race should be vetted using your own preferred handicapping routines.

Note: Due to EOG file size restrictions, unable to post PDF attachment.... If interested in viewing, I'm also posting on Pace Advantage Board (user name BETA) and worksheet can be found in post#11 at the following location:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...99#post2155399

I bet at hawthorne, was showing 5/2 close to post

wound up 8/5 and finished second

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 20th Results:
    Both plays met minimum odds requirement at post.... 2 losers.

YTD = 0 for 3

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 21st…. 4 Potential Plays:

First play is GP/Race1 (Turf only @ 11:55am central)…. This is projected to be an “orderly” race (Starter/Optional Claiming) for 3 yr old fillies routing 8 furlongs on turf…. The #1, Bahama Kitten, has an “A+” contender grade and is second choice on the ML at 3/1…. She draws a nice post and should get a good trip rating behind the two projected speedsters #3 and #7…. Trainer, Steve Towne, has a small barn (4 horses) and seems to do his best work with 3 yr olds (developing horses) in similar spots…. Lezcano has left town and Panici rides (0 for 5 w/trainer)…. After watching last race replay, there is concern that she is a little “dressed up” from that effort, but will gamble that she can move forward one more time…. Will back at 5/2 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #5 Ventina (MLO 5/2) – Grade C+
    #3 Lover’s Key (MLO 7/2) – Grade D
    #7 Princess Victoria (MLO 5/1) – Grade C
    #2 Flying Girl (MLO 8/1) – Grade C-

Next, WO/Race7 (3:19pm central)…. Projected to be a “chaos” C25k sprint for fillies and mares traveling 5.5 furlongs on the poly…. #3, Unseen Angels, gets an “A+” contender rating and is second choice on the ML at 3/1…. This 4 yr old filly returns from vacation in FL off two very poor efforts on the dirt at TAM…. She reunites with high percentage trainer, Norman McKnight, and should be ready (41 day layoff) to fire best shot off the class drop to C25k…. Da Silva gets call which most likely will hurt price…. This is a salty group but will play at 5/2 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #2 Two Step Flor (MLO 5/2) – Grade C-
    #6 Old Valyria (MLO 4/1) – Grade C
    #8 Geocentric (MLO 6/1) – Grade C+

Next, KEE/Race7 (3:24pm central)…. Projected to be a “orderly” starter allowance route for 3 yr olds going 8.5 furlongs on dirt…. #2, Phat Man, gets an “A” contender rating and is fifth choice on the ML at 6/1…. This colt ships in from FG off a second place turf effort…. Trainer, Joe Sharp, seems to not excel in this spot (0 for 16 dirt routes at Kee); but will forgive small sample and default to glass half full…. He is due. Most of all, I really like the effort 3 back (LeComte-GR3) where Phat Man displayed high cruising early speed before tiring against much better…. This is another salty group but will play at 7/1 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #5 Gladtobehere (MLO 7/2) – Grade D
    #4 Coors Lute (MLO 4/1) – Grade C
    #8 Equator (MLO 4/1) – Grade C+
    #7 Wicked Zar (MLO 5/1) – Grade D
    #1 Blue Azul (MLO 8/1) – Grade C-

Next, SA/Race4 (4:29pm central)…. Projected to be a “Chaos” C16k sprint going 6 furlongs on dirt…. #7, Where Y'at Joe Joe, gets an “A+” contender rating and is co-fifth choice on the ML at 6/1…. This 5 yr old gelding makes 2nd start off claim for conditioner, Mark Glatt (15% winners from 27 starters)…. Takes the blinkers off returning from 54 day layoff…nice 5f work on Apr 11th a plus as is slight class drop from C20k…. This is another competitive group but will play at 7/2 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #3 Bolitar (MLO 7/2) – Grade C-
    #2 Louden's Gray (MLO 4/1) – Grade B-
    #6 Finallygotabentley (MLO 4/1) – Grade D
    #4 Last One Standing (MLO 9/2) – Grade C+

BOL!

For anyone interested, I've attached a "generic" PDF worksheet located at:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...00#post2155800

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 21st Results:
    0 for 1 based on minimum odds requirement at/near post (WO/Race7 - #3)
    0 for 1 (KEE/Race7 - #2…. Made play as odds briefly drifted up to 6/1 near “OFF”)

YTD: 0 for 5

GOAL: 28% Win Percentage with Positive ROI

Apr 22nd…. 1 Potential Play:

Play is at HAW/Race7 (7:14pm central)…. This is projected to be a “dominant” Stakes Race (IL Bred only) for fillies and mares sprinting 6.5 furlongs on dirt…. The #7, Dandy Gal, has an “A+” contender grade and is third choice on the ML at 7/2…. She draws an outside post and her late (closing) running style should be a benefit in this race loaded with early speed…. Last race at OP has the look of a “prep” as she was returning from a lengthy layoff facing much, much better…. Dandy Gal does her best work at HAW as super trainer, Scott Becker, reunites her with patient rider, Carlos Marquez…expect game plan to be similar to race three back where Marquez makes a late run from well off the early pace. The main danger is the Brad Cox horse (#3) who will also likely be rated and make first run and get the jump on Dandy Gal? Even though I’m projecting this race to fall apart late; more often than not, the one-run rally types don’t get to the wire first…. However, I will back Dandy Gal 3/1 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #2 My Mertie (MLO 9/5) – Grade C
    #3 Game Time Decision (MLO 3/1) – Grade A- (upgraded from C to A based on projected pace scenario)

BOL!

For anyone interested, I've attached "generic" PDF worksheets located at:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...79#post2156279

Note: Based loosely on pari-mutuel “pool” size….
    CUST(A) = A Tracks; CUST(B) = B Tracks; and CUST(C) = C Tracks

Skip Away hoping to break his maiden today.

YTD: 0-for-5.

I appreciate the analysis and the recordkeeping.

He had two winners early in the thread that didn't meet his price point. Gotta tip the cap that he didn't claim them as winners. Most wouldn't be so honorable.

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 22nd Results:
    Yikes…. Another Loser!

YTD: 0 for 6

Apr 23rd…. 2 Potential Plays:

First play is at PARX/Race1 (11:55am central)…. This is projected to be a “dominant” race (C20k NW2L) for males (3&up) sprinting 6 furlongs on dirt…. The #3, OK Now, has an “A” contender grade and is last choice on the ML at 12/1…. He comes out of a “slow” MDC20k affair; but showed heart by just getting up at wire after slight check at 1/16…. Returns off 22 day layoff and sharp 5f work on Apr 15th…. Horse appears to be overmatched based on unrealistic class jump; but will trust trainer, Keith Nations, for spotting properly as he is 3 for 11 (27%) when 3rd off claim…. Race pace has the look of an early duel meltdown which suits Ok Now’s running style…. This is a bit of a reach but I will gamble at 9/2 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #2 Mr. Neetie (MLO 5/2) – Grade B
    #4 Time for Quality (MLO 7/2) – Grade C-
    #6 Uncle James (MLO 8/1) – Grade C-

Next play is at AQU/Race1 (12:20pm central)…. This is projected to be a “dominant” race (C10k) for males (4&up) routing 8 furlongs on dirt…. The #1, Motown Sound, has an “A+” contender grade and is second choice on the ML at 5/2…. Possesses tactical speed and returns off a winning effort 30 days back…. Horse appears to be properly placed for trainer, Ray Handal, as he is 3 for 9 (33%) when 3rd off claim and overall, puts up good numbers for small nine horse stable…. Most importantly, Motown Sound appears to be lone early speed and should have things his own way on front end…. Strong play at 8/5 or higher….
    Other contenders =
    #4 One Sided (MLO 9/5) – Grade C+
    #3 Chelios (MLO 5/1) – Grade C

BOL!

For anyone interested, I've attached full card "generic" PDF worksheets located at:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...79#post2156279

CUST(A) = A Tracks; CUST(B) = B Tracks; and CUST(C) = C Tracks

Horse Racing Enthusiast

It just occurred to me you need to be a member of the "Pace Advantage" forum to view attachments....

Hey John Kelly, is there any chance you could increase the PDF file size limit to allow full race card attachments?

yeah that's why I haven't been viewing them

I decided not to mention it but I don't think I'm a member

Parx announcer has been saying this for years. He still doesn't realize it's nonsensical.

"In less than one minute, the horses have reached the starting gate."

first one qualified, 4th

second one was 7/5 as race started

then they added money mid-race so t closed 2/1

motown sound got second anyway

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Parx announcer has been saying this for years. He still doesn't realize it's nonsensical.

"In less than one minute, the horses have reached the starting gate."
    he does

every single race without fail

I guess he's never once thought about it, because then maybe he'd realize that isn't comprehensible English.

Horse Racing Enthusiast

Apr 23rd Results:
    0 for 2
    Post Mortem:
    Ok Now (PARX1) was a bad recommendation as early speed duel forecast never materialized…race winner was clearly superior as the “speed of the speed”.

Motown Sound (AQU1) couldn’t relax early as he was repeatedly chocked back during the first ¼ mile…. I don’t think he was good enough to win; but, I wish the jock would have let him run without all the excessive early restraint…. I just hate that type of ride! In contrast, watch the replay and the smooth actions of the race winner…. Lots of “dynamics” to overcome in this game we play….

YTD: 0 for 8

Apr 25th…. 2 Potential Plays:

First play is at IND/Race8 (4:21pm central)…. This is projected to be a “Chaos” MSW race (Indiana bred) for fillies & mares (3&up) sprinting 5.5 furlongs on dirt…. The #2, Hoppestry, has an “A+” contender grade and is co third choice on the ML at 6/1…. Will back this first time starter (precocious pedigree) for sharp trainer, Aaron West, at 3/1 or higher….
    Other Contenders:
    (See PDF race summary)

Next play is at WRD/Race9 (4:38pm central)…. This is projected to be a “dominant” Stakes race (Texas bred) for 3 yr old males routing 8.3 furlongs on dirt…. The #5, Cummit, has an “A+” contender grade and is third choice on the ML at 7/2…. This “maiden” is shipping in from OP to face winners and despite his 0 for 4 record, should be able to get the job done for Asmussen…. Will back at 9/5 or higher….
    Other Contenders:
    (See PDF race summary)

BOL!

For anyone interested, I've attached full card "generic" PDF race summaries located at:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...02#post2158002

CUST(A) = A Tracks; CUST(B) = B Tracks; and CUST(C) = C Track

Horse Racing Enthusiast

To YISMAN and any other interested party:

If you want to peruse the full card (pdf) race summaries, they’re located at the following web address:

https://sites.google.com/site/horseracinganalytics/home

RE: No membership required to view files.