Starling Marte suspended 80 games

Thread: Starling Marte suspended 80 games

Default Starling Marte suspended 80 games

This should have a huge impact on the Pirates both offensively and defensively this season

Default Re: Starling Marte suspended 80 games

Huge loss! Meadows stinking up the joint in the minors. Plus, even when Marte gets back, he is not eligible for the playoffs. That is "IF" Pittsburgh was fortunate to secure a wild-card spot.

Isn't Meadows a big time prospect? I wouldn't give up on him yet. It's mid April and he may have been playing in nothing but 45 degree weather.

Looks like McCutcheon can go back to CF.

Put Cutch back in CF...move Polanco to RF....give Josh Bell everyday AB's from LF

Quote Originally Posted by Hangover View Post
    Put Cutch back in CF...move Polanco to RF....give Josh Bell everyday AB's from LF
    Makes sense but they called up Jose Osuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    Makes sense but they called up Jose Osuna.
    Probably to give Bell days off or send washed up filthy rastafarian bum Jaso to the bench full time

Good point on Intentional Talk.....Cutch will definitely be traded now if Pirates fade hard. May be time to start planning a future without Cutch and Marte

Josh Frazier has outperformed Bell so far. Marte wasn't off to a great start. He's a better CF than McCutcheon so the Pirates will be weakened defensively. How big will the offensive falloff be? He's a solid hitter but he isn't the second coming of Clemente or Dave Parker.

Marte wasnt exactly tearing it up while cheating so doubt offense will suffer much....I give Bell fulltime ABs becauss he is highly touted and its time to find out if he will part of your future.

Marte wasnt exactly tearing it up while cheating so doubt offense will suffer much....I give Bell fulltime ABs becauss he is highly touted and its time to find out if he will part of your future.
    Have Bell at 1B. Jaso doesn't provide enough power for that position. Frazier has earned some more ABs, IMO,

hahaha

Jose Osuna= 240 lb first baseman who doesn't have a lot of power.

The Pirates took their time bringing up both McCutcheon and Polanco. It seemed like Glasnow was at AAA forever. Why not give Meadows a shot? He's the 6th rated prospect in MLB.

Apparently they are going to put Bell in the outfield. I doubt Osuna is an upgrade over Jaso. At least Jaso can draw walks.

The unpaid suspension will cost Marte about half his salary or $2.2 million.

Also if Pirates somehow make playoffs Marte is not allowed to play after his return

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Also if Pirates somehow make playoffs Marte is not allowed to play after his return
    That's a good rule.

I didn't know this but its fair

At least he didn't blame an anti-semitic Cubs fan for the positive test results like Ryan Braun.

Quote Originally Posted by BumgarnerWins View Post
    At least he didn't blame an anti-semitic Cubs fan for the positive test results like Ryan Braun.
    Can he even speak English? Im sure he will play the "Me No Speak English" angle thru a translator and blame the positive test on bad vitamins while visiting his 3rd world country

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Can he even speak English? Im sure he will play the "Me No Speak English" angle thru a translator and blame the positive test on bad vitamins while visiting his 3rd world country
    Hard to blame them when they grow up in Central America or the islands dirt poor. They will do anything to make it to the MLB and take care of their family. Not saying his actions were right, but you can see why they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Hard to blame them when they grow up in Central America or the islands dirt poor. They will do anything to make it to the MLB and take care of their family. Not saying his actions were right, but you can see why they do it.
    Seen it first hand down here in the DR.....to make it in MLB is all some of these kids think about....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Fangraphs projecting Pirates to win 78 games.

Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    Fangraphs projecting Pirates to win 78 games.
    Pirates win total key is still going to be about Glasnow. If he develops and has a solid rookie season, they finish 2nd in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    The unpaid suspension will cost Marte about half his salary or $2.2 million.
    Pretty big hit considering he is not an endorsement guy and only earned around 3.3mil the last 3 seasons

BEANTOWNJIM IS A STIFF AND A FRAUD

Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    MY FATHER WAS IN WORLD WAR 11 IN THE NAVY

I WILL PERSONALLY PAY ANYBODY THAT CAN LISTEN TO YISMAN FOR THE HOUR AND NOT FALL ASLEEP 500 DOLLARS

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Pirates win total key is still going to be about Glasnow. If he develops and has a solid rookie season, they finish 2nd in the division.
    Good point. I just do not like their pen or lineup. I think Brewers have outstanding sticks and a more balanced set of arms. I think they finish second behind the Cubs. Because one of the issues you will see with the Pirates, they are going to sell off pieces: Mccutcheon, Jaso, Cervelli, Freese, Mercer types. So even if they tread water, they will not add-on to the roster. They are back to the days of treating pennies like freight containers.

I just don't see it yet with Glasnow. Just doesn't have any command. Love what I've seen with the progression of Taillon however.

BEANTOWNJIM IS A STIFF AND A FRAUD

Pirates more likely to finish last than second, IMO.
    MY FATHER WAS IN WORLD WAR 11 IN THE NAVY

I WILL PERSONALLY PAY ANYBODY THAT CAN LISTEN TO YISMAN FOR THE HOUR AND NOT FALL ASLEEP 500 DOLLARS

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I just don't see it yet with Glasnow. Just doesn't have any command. Love what I've seen with the progression of Taillon however.
    Agreed. And the red hot Yanks only around -105 to -107 vs the Pirates with Glasnow? I'm guessing by gametime the NYY are closer to -120.