NFL Week 1 Lines

Thread: NFL Week 1 Lines

Just Drawn This Way Squarepants's Avatar

Default NFL Week 1 Lines

Tired of listening to folks yapping about the last election or worrying about the next (this Sunday in France)?

Well, football is back, baby . . . .

David Payne Purdum‏Verified account @DavidPurdum 23h23 hours ago

@LVSuperBook will post point spreads for Week 1 games within an hour of the schedule being released, per @JayKornegay.

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
    NFL will release its 2017 regular-season schedule Thursday at 8 p.m. on ESPN.
    Last edited by Squarepants; 04-19-17 at 01:43 PM. Reason: I actually did serve on an editorial board once . . .
    Never confuse price with value, consensus with wisdom, or conformity with courage.

Default Re: NFL Week 1 Lines

Thanks for the heads-up, Squarepants.

You’re welcome, John.

While we wait for the schedule and the SuperBook Week 1 lines (I have no life and I’m really, really tired of political discussion), thought I’d touch on one of the dumbest things people still say about the NFL schedule each year.

And that includes from ostensibly professional broadcast journalists.

I’m talking about the “winner’s schedule” and the “loser’s schedule.”

The whole idea being that the winning teams get a tougher schedule the next year and the losing teams get an easier schedule. You’ll hear broadcasters lament how a team that supposedly was supposed to get a tougher or easier schedule under this purported “rule” did not actually get such a schedule.

Well, there’s a reason for that.

7/8ths of who a team plays the next year has nothing to do with how they played the prior year.

Every year, of course, they play the same three intra-division teams twice a year, for 6 of the 16 games.

And each team sequentially rotates from year to year through the other three divisions of their conference and the other four divisions of the other conference. That’s 4 games from an intraconference division and 4 games from an interconference division, for a total of 8 more pre-scripted matchups each year.

If you don’t believe me, this is the multi-year rotation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...sion_match-ups

So, that’s 14 of 16 pre-scripted matchups that have nothing to do with how a team played the prior year.

Now, as I understand it, the remaining two games are dependent on how a team played the prior year. A team that was #1 in their division will play two similarly #1 division teams in those two games. And so on 2's playing 2's, 3's playing 3's . . . . That’s how we get some of those marquee matchups every year that don’t arise as one of the automatic pre-scripted matchups.

It’s been that way for well over a decade.

But you still hear talking heads going on about the supposed rule that a winning team gets a strong schedule the next year, etc.

I even heard a local radio broadcast journalist one year lament that the then-good Colts were having to play the then-bad Texans twice in the coming year despite this supposed rule.

Uh, dumbass, they’re in the same freakin’ division . . . .

So, as the saying goes, “don’t be that guy.”
    Last edited by Squarepants; 04-20-17 at 03:54 PM. Reason: English-challenged sometimes
    Never confuse price with value, consensus with wisdom, or conformity with courage.

SportsOptions/Line up with the pros

Ils sont partis . . .

Matt Youmans‏ @mattyoumans247 20m20 minutes ago

NFL season opener Sept. 7:

Patriots -7 against Chiefs.

Giants-Cowboys and other Week 1 lines posted in a few hours @LVSuperBook @golfodds
    Last edited by Squarepants; 04-20-17 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Little rusty on my French, chere

Micah Roberts Retweeted Jeff Sherman‏Verified account @golfodds 2h2 hours ago

NFL - Regular Season Week 1 Thursday, September 7, 2017

Chiefs 50
    Patriots -7

Jeff Sherman‏Verified account @golfodds 15m15 minutes ago

NFL Week 1

NE -7 vs KC, total 50

Buf -6.5 vs NYJ, 42

Atl -5.5 at Chi, 50.5

Hou -4.5 vs Jax, 42

Wsh -2.5 vs Phi, 48

Det -2.5 vs Ari, 49.5

Jeff Sherman‏Verified account @golfodds 13m13 minutes ago

NFL Week 1

Ten Pk vs Oak, 53.5

Mia -2 vs TB, 48

Cin -1 vs Bal, 44

Pit -9.5 at Cle, 47.5

Ind -3.5 at LAR, 48

GB -2.5 -120 vs Sea, 50.5

Jeff Sherman‏Verified account @golfodds 15m15 minutes ago

NFL Week 1

Car -4 at SF, 49

Dal -6 vs NYG, 50.5

Min -4 vs NO, 48

Den -3.5 vs LAC, 44.5

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post
    You’re welcome, John.

While we wait for the schedule and the SuperBook Week 1 lines (I have no life and I’m really, really tired of political discussion), thought I’d touch on one of the dumbest things people still say about the NFL schedule each year.

And that includes from ostensibly professional broadcast journalists.

I’m talking about the “winner’s schedule” and the “loser’s schedule.”

The whole idea being that the winning teams get a tougher schedule the next year and the losing teams get an easier schedule. You’ll hear broadcasters lament how a team that supposedly was supposed to get a tougher or easier schedule under this purported “rule” did not actually get such a schedule.

Well, there’s a reason for that.

7/8ths of who a team plays the next year has nothing to do with how they played the prior year.

Every year, of course, they play the same three intra-division teams twice a year, for 6 of the 16 games.

And each team sequentially rotates from year to year through the other three divisions of their conference and the other four divisions of the other conference. That’s 4 games from an intraconference division and 4 games from an interconference division, for a total of 8 more pre-scripted matchups each year.

If you don’t believe me, this is the multi-year rotation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...sion_match-ups

So, that’s 14 of 16 pre-scripted matchups that have nothing to do with how a team played the prior year.

Now, as I understand it, the remaining two games are dependent on how a team played the prior year. A team that was #1 in their division will play two similarly #1 division teams in those two games. And so on 2's playing 2's, 3's playing 3's . . . . That’s how we get some of those marquee matchups every year that don’t arise as one of the automatic pre-scripted matchups.

It’s been that way for well over a decade.

But you still hear talking heads going on about the supposed rule that a winning team gets a strong schedule the next year, etc.

I even heard a local radio broadcast journalist one year lament that the then-good Colts were having to play the then-bad Texans twice in the coming year despite this supposed rule.

Uh, dumbass, they’re in the same freakin’ division . . . .

So, as the saying goes, “don’t be that guy.”
    Great post. This, and Strength of Schedule in general are pet peeves of mine. SOS can only be backfitted. Most teams records(OK, not Cleve and NE) change alot from year to year. Teams that went into 2016 with the 4-12 Cowboys on their schedule weren't so happy playing the 2016 Cowboys. Teams that had Carolina and Ariz on their schedule didn't have to sweat the 2 teams that were 28 game winners that became 13 game winners.

I'll take New Orleans getting four for the max

Vegasinsider's not fully real time but free horizontal view of onshore and offshore Week 1 lines (spread across two pages for each):

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

Thanks Squarepants.
    Enjoy your posts.

'ppreciate the nod, DotPark (been out of pocket a couple of days)

So far, I've successfully steered clear of discussion of the sexual preferences of sea sponges, which probably is a good thing.

: ^ )