Schwarber hitting a robust .196 - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 71 to 105 of 301

Thread: Schwarber hitting a robust .196

  1. #71
    Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location
    Bridgman, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    11,523

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Everything is moronic to a genius like Javy.

  2. #72

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Cubs are a Little Leage team. I can picture that freak Maddon handing out orange slices and boxes of Hi-C to the players after each game. As for CWS, they should move to amother city, they're nothing in chicago.

  3. #73

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Everything is moronic to a genius like Javy.
    Your contributions sports wise have been disappointing lately. Do you think comparing a guy with a good eye at the plate to a guy with a bad eye makes sense? Yes or no.

  4. #74

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    The main reason why a comparison between Schwarber and Gallo is moronic is because Schwarber has a much better eye at the plate.

    Schwarber has a 1 to 2 walk to strikeout ratio in his career to this point, while Gallo has a 4 to 13 walk to strikeout ratio. Very different ability between the two young players to work an at bat.
    Gallo and Schwarber career walk rates:

    13% - Gallo
    13.8% - Schwarber

    In what world are those not similar?

    In their minor league careers, their walk rates are practically identical. Gallo certainly swings and misses more and has had a higher K-Rate but that doesn't mean he has a worse eye.
    tripp blows

  5. #75

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Schwarber has posted similar career WAR to Mike Olt.

    Similar players.

  6. #76
    Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location
    Bridgman, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    11,523

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Your contributions sports wise have been disappointing lately. Do you think comparing a guy with a good eye at the plate to a guy with a bad eye makes sense? Yes or no.
    Tell us again about Soler vs Abreu. I noticed you didn't fire off a witty comeback. Quite frankly I'm bored about talking about the Cubs becaus it's never really about them. There are 30 teams, try looking at others.

  7. #77

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    Gallo and Schwarber career walk rates:

    13% - Gallo
    13.8% - Schwarber

    In what world are those not similar?

    In their minor league careers, their walk rates are practically identical. Gallo certainly swings and misses more and has had a higher K-Rate but that doesn't mean he has a worse eye.
    Lol why would you isolate walk rate and strikeout rate? Gallo would have a lot more walks because he's getting thrown less hittable pitches because the pitcher knows he will chase.

    Schwarber has 50 percent more plate appearances and less strikeouts. They're not comparable players at this stage and that's pretty obvious to anyone.

    Funny thing is that logic explains why his walk rate would be respectable. If a hitter is striking out half of his at bats he's swinging at balls that roll in a bunch. So of course he'll work a walk because the pitchers are not giving him anything knowing he's very likely to never see a strike and still strikeout

  8. #78

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Tell us again about Soler vs Abreu. I noticed you didn't fire off a witty comeback. Quite frankly I'm bored about talking about the Cubs becaus it's never really about them. There are 30 teams, try looking at others.
    Does Soler not have talent? Talent is not the issue with him, staying healthy for more than a few weeks is. What I said isn't even wrong so why need a comeback? Soler probably has more raw talent than Abreu.

  9. #79

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    This guy loves digging holes.

    While their Out of Zone swing rates are slightly different:

    Schwarber 29.2%
    Gallow 29.7%

    It is hardly substantial. They both swing at about as many balls and rank in the middle of the pack for chasing out of the zone pitches. The biggest difference between Gallo and Schwarber is Gallo swings at more strikes:

    Schwarber: 66.4%
    Gallo: 75.6%

    And Schwarber has been much better thus far at making contact at pitches out of the zone:

    Schwarber: 66.1%
    Gallow: 41%

    Leading to the big difference in strikes out. It has nothing to do with Gallo's eye being much worse than Schwarbers. In fact, based on their overall swing rates at pitches out of the zone, their eyes are nearly identical and given their walk rates being nearly identical, I would say they are pretty much the same batter in terms of plate discipline; they're just not the same batter in terms of contact.

    Glad I could help again.

    And as far as Gallo seeing a lot fewer strikes, that's simply not true:

    Schwarber: 39%
    Gallo: 38%
    tripp blows

  10. #80

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    The remarkable thing about their strikes percentages is Schwarber ranks 184th in baseball in pitches seen in the zone and Gallo ranks 188th (dead last)
    tripp blows

  11. #81

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Timely lmao you compared a player with a 1 to 2 BB to K ratio with a player with a worse than 1 to 3 BB to K ratio. How are you still defending this? It was moronic.

  12. #82

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    The remarkable thing about their strikes percentages is Schwarber ranks 184th in baseball in pitches seen in the zone and Gallo ranks 188th (dead last)
    Lol and why do you think Gallo receives far less pitches in the zone than anyone else? Didn't I already explain this for you?

  13. #83

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Also good job indicating another massive difference between the two, further highlighting what a bad comparison it was. The percentages seem to suggest Schwarber is a good bad ball hitter while Gallo is not. Not good when you're seeing the league's highest percentage of pitches out of the zone.

  14. #84

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    I responded to your post in which you said Schwarber:

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    The main reason why a comparison between Schwarber and Gallo is moronic is because Schwarber has a much better eye at the plate.
    When in fact, they both take nearly the exact some of balls. We were comparing the eye's of each player, and their plate discipline. Not their swing and miss tendencies.

    You also said Schwarber was "much better" at working an at-bat, when in fact Schwarber ranks 8th in baseball in pitches per at-bat 4.36 while Gallo is right behind him in 19th at 4.24. They are very similar hitters plate discipline wise which was you're entire argument - that they weren't. Gallo just swings and misses more which has absolutely nothing to do with his eye.
    tripp blows

  15. #85

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    I responded to your post in which you said Schwarber:


    When in fact, they both take nearly the exact some of balls. We were comparing the eye's of each player, and their plate discipline. Not their swing and miss tendencies.

    You also said Schwarber was "much better" at working an at-bat, when in fact Schwarber ranks 8th in baseball in pitches per at-bat 4.36 while Gallo is right behind him in 19th at 4.24. They are very similar hitters plate discipline wise which was you're entire argument - that they weren't. Gallo just swings and misses more which has absolutely nothing to do with his eye.
    Lol it has nothing to do with his eye? Is that really your argument? Your recognition of a pitch and it's location and subsequently ability to put your bat on it is a big part of being a hitter. But I do appreciate you admitting it was a foolishly bad comparison.

  16. #86

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Your argument seems to be that they swing at the same number of bad pitches but Schwarber hits them substantially more, but that they're similar hitters lol. How is that a coherent line of reasoning in your head? Because I will point out to you Schwarber's overall numbers, even excluding the playoffs, are a good bit better. Even more So when you include playoffs.

  17. #87

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Your argument seems to be that they swing at the same number of bad pitches but Schwarber hits them substantially more, but that they're similar hitters lol. How is that a coherent line of reasoning in your head? Because I will point out to you Schwarber's overall numbers, even excluding the playoffs, are a good bit better. Even more So when you include playoffs.
    You said the difference was that Schwarber had a much better eye. I'm glad I broke down the facts so you could come up with another reason since you are incapable of doing so without that. I just want you to know that their plate discipline is nearly identical and they both work counts. Glad we could sort that out.
    tripp blows

  18. #88

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    Most guys who are power hitters come up and hit home runs; that's not something they learn to do in the bigs, it's a skill they posses and it's what got them to the big leagues. Schwarber is nothing like Murphy or Betts. He's more similar to Napoli or Gallo.

    Also, power doesn't make you void of making adjustments. If he didn't have to make adjustments it was because he had never really struggled before, not because he has power. Schwarber's problem and the reason he won't hit for average is because he's only hit 6 ground balls in his entire career left of where the short stop lines up. He will be a batting average victim of the shift his entire career; unless he wants to trade power for changing his swing which I don't see happening. He will always be a low BABIP player because the shift will eat him alive. Being a dead, ground ball, pull hitter in the big leagues as a lefty has become an issue because of the shifts. In the air, he sprays the ball to all fields, but when he hits the ball on the ground it's even more likely to be an out than it is for a non-shifted hitter.
    I was speaking of skilled ALL AROUND hitters; not just guys who swing from their heels every pitch because that's all they know. The Cubs do not believe Schwarber is another Chris Carter. They have much higher expectations than that. As for the adjustments, what did I say? I said the league adjusted to him, and now he has to adjust to them.

    As for power, guys don't enter the league and hit 40 HRs right off the bat (unless they are obvious juicers). How many HRs did Bonds hit his first year? Mantle or Mays? None of them hit over 25 their first year. What do baseball guys (I'm NOT referring to Fangraphs or Baseball Prospectus guys) say? Most of the time, power is the last skill good hitters acquire.

  19. #89

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    I was speaking of skilled ALL AROUND hitters; not just guys who swing from their heels every pitch because that's all they know. The Cubs do not believe Schwarber is another Chris Carter. They have much higher expectations than that. As for the adjustments, what did I say? I said the league adjusted to him, and now he has to adjust to them.

    As for power, guys don't enter the league and hit 40 HRs right off the bat (unless they are obvious juicers). How many HRs did Bonds hit his first year? Mantle or Mays? None of them hit over 25 their first year. What do baseball guys (I'm NOT referring to Fangraphs or Baseball Prospectus guys) say? Most of the time, power is the last skill good hitters acquire.
    Schwarber isn't a "good all-around hitter" and he never will be. Not many expect him to hit for a high average; his future (if it works out) is as a high OBP guy with ++ power; see Cinci Adam Dunn. The expectations for a dead ground ball pull hitter is not to hit for a high average. The names you continue to drop are all-time greats who came up as 5 tool stars not power hitting prospects, and what does 40 HR's mean? Plenty of young power hitters have hit 30 HR's in a season, is that not good?

    No one called him Chris Carter either. Power is not the last skill acquired for guys who already have that skill in the minors and come up with it. It is a skill acquired for smaller athletic guys who are still growing into their bodies.

    What do "baseball guys" say? I'm not even sure what that means.
    tripp blows

  20. #90

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    I was speaking of skilled ALL AROUND hitters; not just guys who swing from their heels every pitch because that's all they know. The Cubs do not believe Schwarber is another Chris Carter. They have much higher expectations than that. As for the adjustments, what did I say? I said the league adjusted to him, and now he has to adjust to them.

    As for power, guys don't enter the league and hit 40 HRs right off the bat (unless they are obvious juicers). How many HRs did Bonds hit his first year? Mantle or Mays? None of them hit over 25 their first year. What do baseball guys (I'm NOT referring to Fangraphs or Baseball Prospectus guys) say? Most of the time, power is the last skill good hitters acquire.
    Many guys have compared Schwarber to David Ortiz... Same sound off the bat, same disciplined approach at the plate. That's obviously a best case scenario, but more than one homer scout has said this. I'd trust them over an internet troll, so I'm pretty optimistic about his future.

    Cubs aren't looking to trade him anyway, so this 'should have traded Schwarber' nonsense is just that. They were never considering it.

  21. #91

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    You said the difference was that Schwarber had a much better eye. I'm glad I broke down the facts so you could come up with another reason since you are incapable of doing so without that. I just want you to know that their plate discipline is nearly identical and they both work counts. Glad we could sort that out.
    You compared the players when they're not comparable. You are the one who is arguing semantics. All I care about is that they are not similar hitters, so your comparison was ignorant. Thanks for contributing.

  22. #92

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Ortiz, Mantle, Mays and Bonds. These Cub fans sure are entertaining.

    Ortiz had two full seasons in his entire MLB career with K-Rates over 20% (21.4% and 23.8%) and they were his two worst seasons (100 wRC+ and 134 wRC+, worth 2.8 WAR combined those two seasons). Every other season his K-rate was under 20%, allowing him to hit for average and power and overcome the fact that he was worth nothing on the bases or in the field.

    Schwarber, so far has a big league k-rate of 27.8%. The thing that saved Ortiz's career following those seasons was steroids too, so maybe Schwarber is on the right team run by the right President for finding a good pharmacist.

    Schwarber = Ortiz
    tripp blows

  23. #93

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    Schwarber isn't a "good all-around hitter" and he never will be. Not many expect him to hit for a high average; his future (if it works out) is as a high OBP guy with ++ power; see Cinci Adam Dunn. The expectations for a dead ground ball pull hitter is not to hit for a high average. The names you continue to drop are all-time greats who came up as 5 tool stars not power hitting prospects, and what does 40 HR's mean? Plenty of young power hitters have hit 30 HR's in a season, is that not good?

    No one called him Chris Carter either. Power is not the last skill acquired for guys who already have that skill in the minors and come up with it. It is a skill acquired for smaller athletic guys who are still growing into their bodies.

    What do "baseball guys" say? I'm not even sure what that means.
    Baseball guys are guys who played the game.

    When one looks at some of the top power guys of all time, the majority did NOT start pounding HRs right away:

    Hank Aaron 509 PA 13 HRs
    Barry Bonds 484 PA 16 HRs
    Ken Griffey Jr 506 PA 16 HRs
    Willie Mays 523 PA 20 HRs
    Reggie Jackson 614 PA 29 HRs
    Mickey Mantle 626 PA 23 HRs
    Sammy Sosa 579 PA 15 HRs

    There are a few exceptions. Frank Robinson did, as did A-Rod, Manny Ramirez, Mark McGwire, Canseco and Albert Pujols. Take away the steroid users and F Robby is about the only one left.

  24. #94

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Why the hell does this troll still post here? Promised to leave the forum 3 dozen times because he hated talking about the Cubs.

    Now he comes here to talk about the Cubs 15 hours a day every day. What the fuck?

  25. #95
    EOG Addicted
    Join Date
    Jan 25, 2017
    Location
    Liberty City
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    Ortiz, Mantle, Mays and Bonds. These Cub fans sure are entertaining.

    Ortiz had two full seasons in his entire MLB career with K-Rates over 20% (21.4% and 23.8%) and they were his two worst seasons (100 wRC+ and 134 wRC+, worth 2.8 WAR combined those two seasons). Every other season his K-rate was under 20%, allowing him to hit for average and power and overcome the fact that he was worth nothing on the bases or in the field.

    Schwarber, so far has a big league k-rate of 27.8%. The thing that saved Ortiz's career following those seasons was steroids too, so maybe Schwarber is on the right team run by the right President for finding a good pharmacist.

    Schwarber = Ortiz
    heyward = clemente is javy's best........

  26. #96

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    I'm still waiting for Viciedo's MVP award. I was told it was coming.

  27. #97

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Why the hell does this troll still post here? Promised to leave the forum 3 dozen times because he hated talking about the Cubs.

    Now he comes here to talk about the Cubs 15 hours a day every day. What the fuck?
    Some of these people are not only angry when the Cubs win, but even angry when they lose. Pretty amusing.

  28. #98

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Some of these people are not only angry when the Cubs win, but even angry when they lose. Pretty amusing.
    To give you an idea of this guy's ability to evaluate young players, he was very high on Dayan Viciedo.

    For what it's worth, Dayan Viciedo is currently struggling at the plate for the Chunichi Dragons despite the fact he's 28 years old.

    Schwarber may not develop into an elite hitter, but I feel pretty confident he'll be in the league at 28, not hitting at the bottom of the lineup for the Chunichi Dragons.

  29. #99

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Baseball guys are guys who played the game.

    When one looks at some of the top power guys of all time, the majority did NOT start pounding HRs right away:

    Hank Aaron 509 PA 13 HRs
    Barry Bonds 484 PA 16 HRs
    Ken Griffey Jr 506 PA 16 HRs
    Willie Mays 523 PA 20 HRs
    Reggie Jackson 614 PA 29 HRs
    Mickey Mantle 626 PA 23 HRs
    Sammy Sosa 579 PA 15 HRs

    There are a few exceptions. Frank Robinson did, as did A-Rod, Manny Ramirez, Mark McGwire, Canseco and Albert Pujols. Take away the steroid users and F Robby is about the only one left.
    Think Sosa's steroid abuse might have had something to do with that.

    Griffey was 19 when he debuted
    Aaron was 20
    Bonds was 21
    Mays was 20
    Mantle was 19

    You don't see the difference between them and Schwarber?

    First, they were 5 tool stars; kids who had 5 elite projectable tools, and the power was last to come because they were teenagers and 20 year olds; their bodies still developing. They weren't 6'0 235 lbs's and 24 years old like Schwarber. Their power tool had not developed. They were nothing like Schwarber.

    Secondly, what is wrong with Jackson's 29 HR's (he was also 22 at that time)?

    Lastly, why do you keep comparing Kyle Schwarber to the all-time greats to ever play the game? As I said, plenty of guys came up with good power and hit 30ish home runs out of the gate.

    Sexson first full season at 24: 31 HR's
    Adam Dunn: 26 HR's (@22 years old)
    Reggie Jackson - 29 HR's
    Eddie Murray - 27 HR's (@21 none the less)
    Frank Thomas - 32 HR's (@23)

    You listed a bunch of 5 tool stars, many of which were skinny as a rail when they came up. Schwarber is a power first bat; not some five tool star waiting to grow into his body.
    tripp blows

  30. #100
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,158

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Schwarber has a .682 ops through 139 at bats.

    Joey Votto had a lower OPS last year through his first 139 at bats and ended just shy of 1.000 for the season.

    Now here comes the mentally defective saying I compared the two. Lol. The obvious point is let the season play out and stop overreacting to 20 percent of one season on a guy that missed a full season last year.
    JV has a track record, he's a former MVP, and he's one of the best hitters in the NL. Maybe Schwarbs gets to his level someday, but comparing them right now is ludicrous
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  31. #101
    Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location
    Bridgman, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    11,523

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    So how long do you leave him at leadoff?
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

  32. #102

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    JV has a track record, he's a former MVP, and he's one of the best hitters in the NL. Maybe Schwarbs gets to his level someday, but comparing them right now is ludicrous
    It's pretty insane you still read that as a comparison even with the next sentence saying this wasn't a comparison, merely a point to not judge a player's year based on 20%.

    For instance, is Jason Vargas better than Masahiro Tanaka? In other words, who would you predict pitching better from now until the end of the year?

  33. #103

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Some of these people are not only angry when the Cubs win, but even angry when they lose. Pretty amusing.
    Who's angry? Only one guy in this thread ever gets angry and starts calling people names and that's scrubs. I'm just respectfully rebutting your posts; sorry if that means I'm angry to you. You and many other Cub fans flooded the forum with endless Cub threads when they were winning; many agree, which is how the nickname EOC came about. Now you are upset about the Cub threads and asking why there are so many... You have no problem with the endless Cub threads when they are positive but suddenly people are angry for posting about them when they are losing? Pretty weird.
    tripp blows

  34. #104
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,158

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Many guys have compared Schwarber to David Ortiz... Same sound off the bat, same disciplined approach at the plate. That's obviously a best case scenario, but more than one homer scout has said this. I'd trust them over an internet troll, so I'm pretty optimistic about his future.

    Cubs aren't looking to trade him anyway, so this 'should have traded Schwarber' nonsense is just that. They were never considering it.
    I remember when Jason Heyward first came up with Atlanta, Bobby Cox compared him to Hank Aaron, how'd that work out
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  35. #105

    Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

    Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    Who's angry? Only one guy in this thread ever gets angry and starts calling people names and that's scrubs. I'm just respectfully rebutting your posts; sorry if that means I'm angry to you. You and many other Cub fans flooded the forum with endless Cub threads when they were winning; many agree, which is how the nickname EOC came about. Now you are upset about the Cub threads and asking why there are so many... You have no problem with the endless Cub threads when they are positive but suddenly people are angry for posting about them when they are losing? Pretty weird.
    Why do you bother discussing the Cubs when you don't admit when you are wrong? You said they were dead in the water when they got shut out twice vs the Dodgers. Were you right about that? Or did the Cubs win the next 3 games in blowout fashion, including pounding Kershaw on normal rest?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •