Schwarber hitting a robust .196 - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Schwarber hitting a robust .196

EOG Dedicated

Default Re: Schwarber hitting a robust .196....

airetta is not finished timley.... if he goes back to the juice or fixes his footwork on the rubber he will be ok

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-...value-1-to-10/

Quintana the 25th ranked trade piece in baseball. Schwarber not even on the list that ranks based on surplus value.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-...able-mentions/

Doesn't even make honorable mentions.
    tripp blows

Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    airetta is not finished timley.... if he goes back to the juice or fixes his footwork on the rubber he will be ok
    Unless he starts juicing again, the velocity is gone. For the past calendar year, Arrieta has a 4.21 ERA and 2.8 WAR. His velocity started to dip around the all-star break of last year. He hasn't been the same pitcher since then. He's a nice innings eater, but his days as an impact ace are probably over; barring another cycle.
    tripp blows

EOG Dedicated

i agree showalter knew he was done....

Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-...value-1-to-10/

Quintana the 25th ranked trade piece in baseball. Schwarber not even on the list that ranks based on surplus value.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-...able-mentions/

Doesn't even make honorable mentions.
    If you're quoting this list, does that mean you believe Joc Pederson has more trade value than Kyle Schwarber? Surely you're not that dumb. List was also a year ago, before the bad start to the season for Quintana, and this list also has Trevor Story on the list. Yep, the Trevor Story that is somehow struggling worse than Schwarber despite playing half of his games in Coors.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    If you're quoting this list, does that mean you believe Joc Pederson has more trade value than Kyle Schwarber? Surely you're not that dumb. List was also a year ago, before the bad start to the season for Quintana, and this list also has Trevor Story on the list. Yep, the Trevor Story that is somehow struggling worse than Schwarber despite playing half of his games in Coors.
    You realize Schwarber has sucked as bad as those guys, right? You also realize 49 innings doesn't change a 4 year track record, right? You just posted about how pointless it is to evaluate small samples early in the season and now you think Quintana has lost trade value because of that sample lol.
    tripp blows

Would you please just state that you think Joc Pederson and Trevor Story have more trade value than Kyle Schwarber? You find the list credible, so clearly you'd agree with that. It makes my job in this discussion a whole lot easier if you think those two have more trade value currently.

You realize Schwarber has sucked as bad as those guys, right? You also realize 49 innings doesn't change a 4 year track record, right? You just posted about how pointless it is to evaluate small samples early in the season and now you think Quintana has lost trade value because of that sample lol.
    Lol you said Schwarber has lost trade value after 140 at bats a year after he missed a full season, but Quintana hasn't lost trade value in the same time period? Which is it?

Think Sosa's steroid abuse might have had something to do with that.

Griffey was 19 when he debuted
    Aaron was 20
    Bonds was 21
    Mays was 20
    Mantle was 19

You don't see the difference between them and Schwarber?

First, they were 5 tool stars; kids who had 5 elite projectable tools, and the power was last to come because they were teenagers and 20 year olds; their bodies still developing. They weren't 6'0 235 lbs's and 24 years old like Schwarber. Their power tool had not developed. They were nothing like Schwarber.

Secondly, what is wrong with Jackson's 29 HR's (he was also 22 at that time)?

Lastly, why do you keep comparing Kyle Schwarber to the all-time greats to ever play the game? As I said, plenty of guys came up with good power and hit 30ish home runs out of the gate.

Sexson first full season at 24: 31 HR's
    Adam Dunn: 26 HR's (@22 years old)
    Reggie Jackson - 29 HR's
    Eddie Murray - 27 HR's (@21 none the less)
    Frank Thomas - 32 HR's (@23)

You listed a bunch of 5 tool stars, many of which were skinny as a rail when they came up. Schwarber is a power first bat; not some five tool star waiting to grow into his body.
    Listening to MLB Network radio on car ride home yesterday and what were they talking about? Hitting for power. Cliff Floyd said when he was a young player, Dave Winfield told him "learn to hit first. The home runs will eventually take care of themselves."

And he was right. Winfield hit 20 in his first full year and didn't top 25 until his age 27 season and finally topped 30 at age 30. And as anyone has seen, Winfield was not a "wiry type who needed to grow into his body". He was a star football and basketball player at the University of Minnesota. Drafted in both of those sports.

As for Schwarber, what OPS number is needed to compensate for his lack of defensive prowess and non base stealing skills? He's a corner outfielder, so I'd say probably .850.

Have to wonder where he will be in 2 years. I could see him playing first base, but with the Cubs, that's blocked because of Rizzo. I could see him in the AL as a DH type. He also could be a utility type who can play a little OF, some 1B, and occasionally give the catcher a day off. I've said it before, right now send him to AAA where he can work on his outfield play and two strike approach at the plate. There's a reason guys need a certain number of plate appearances in the minors, and regardless of age, there's just not many exceptions.

EOG Dedicated

well maybe he could take adam dunn's spot in the AL

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    He was a star football and basketball player at the University of Minnesota. Drafted in both of those sports.
    you are right that he played baseball and basketball, and that he got drafted (17th round flyer by the Vikings)

but he did NOT actually play football let alone star at Minnesota in taht sport

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

As for Schwarber, what OPS number is needed to compensate for his lack of defensive prowess and non base stealing skills? He's a corner outfielder, so I'd say probably .850.

Have to wonder where he will be in 2 years. I could see him playing first base, but with the Cubs, that's blocked because of Rizzo. I could see him in the AL as a DH type. He also could be a utility type who can play a little OF, some 1B, and occasionally give the catcher a day off. I've said it before, right now send him to AAA where he can work on his outfield play and two strike approach at the plate. There's a reason guys need a certain number of plate appearances in the minors, and regardless of age, there's just not many exceptions.
    That was Theo's big belief when he came to Chicago - he wanted the prospects to get 1000 AB's in the minors before getting called up.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Schwarber just committed two (2) errors on the same play

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
    Schwarber just committed two (2) errors on the same play
    All joking aside, that was on Baez. Ball landed near the infield. Schwarber also had a phenomenal web gem earlier.

Schwarber with -8 DRS in 64 games worth of innings in the OF. One of the worst numbers in baseball history in that limited amount of time. Ouch.
    tripp blows

agree. you can ruin a player by keeping him up and not having success. if he loses confidence it's over for him. he should have been sent down to work things out. also maybe take him out of the leadoff spot? Joe Maddon is gonna ruin him keeping him up and batting 1, arguably the most important spot in the lineup.

This just sheds more light on the argument Maddon is an overrated coach, he tried to lose them the WS and his day to day tactics are questionable. He's a great motivator and players coach no doub, but I'm really starting to wonder if he knows baseball.

Schwarber with -8 DRS in 64 games worth of innings in the OF. One of the worst numbers in baseball history in that limited amount of time. Ouch.
    On the plus side, he's tried to catch zero balls with his face.

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/...sset_1800K.mp4

29% probability catch on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Mac View Post
    agree. you can ruin a player by keeping him up and not having success. if he loses confidence it's over for him. he should have been sent down to work things out. also maybe take him out of the leadoff spot? Joe Maddon is gonna ruin him keeping him up and batting 1, arguably the most important spot in the lineup.

This just sheds more light on the argument Maddon is an overrated coach, he tried to lose them the WS and his day to day tactics are questionable. He's a great motivator and players coach no doub, but I'm really starting to wonder if he knows baseball.

I agree re: Maddon. He does make some baffling decisions. But I have to think its on Hoyer and Epstein for Schwarber to not be at Iowa right now.
    I

I agree re: Maddon. He does make some baffling decisions. But I have to think its on Hoyer and Epstein for Schwarber to not be at Iowa right now.
    I
    Manager will usually go to the front office and say, player x is struggling and I'm going to put him on the bench, he could use some AAA work. That's how the Phillies do it, maybe not everyone does.

EOG Dedicated

cubs not beating the good teams with this shwarber guy...send him down

Schwarber crushes one towards South America.

Don't forget to bump the Heyward thread now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    Don't forget to bump the Heyward thread now too.
    good to have him back

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    My point is, if JV gets off to a slow start, Reds fans need not worry, they've seen him play, they know what numbers he'll eventually put up. Schwarber struggling is different though, we don't know what kind of season he'll have from this point out, and I'm a fan of his, I think the kid has tremendous upside, I'd take him on my team in a minute, but the fact is there's no track record for Schwarber, he may end up the season with good numbers, or he could struggle all year, we don't know. With Votto, if he's struggling early on, like you mentioned he did last year, I know he'll end up the year with Votto like numbers, early season struggles with him don't concern me, they would concern me a whole lot more if I were a Cubs fan with Schwarber
    Javy, is this considered sports talk?
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

EOG Dedicated

maddon said schwarber now only facing right handers..... the move was right.

SportsOptions/Line up with the pros

Hitting .177 now, pathetic.

Might be time for a trip back to the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Hitting .177 now, pathetic.

Might be time for a trip back to the farm.
    And there's nothing wrong with that at all. He's still young. His confidence is gone. They don't need him at the major league level. Keeping him up confuses me.

I don't buy that crap of sending him down now will ruin his confidence.

You get confidence when you perform, only getting a hit roughly 12/13% of the time needs to be addressed.

As skill level improves, so will confidence.

Many have been sent down only to come back and find plenty of success. He's plenty young to do the same.

He has no confidence to lose. He will regain it by mashing AAA pitching

I agree with the move, not sure if he will mash even AAA at this point. Sooner the better.

I think the manager has more input than you think, especially in Maddon's case.

If he goes to bat (pun intended) for someone it will have a substantial impact on what is done, either promotion or demotion wise.

All teams, manager, front offices are not the same, in this case I think a World Series win last year and being Maddon it would carry a lot of weight.

Maybe Schwarber gives good team speeches like Heyward....that might keep him on the MLB roster....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

EOG Dedicated

platoon city .....maddon said so...... cannot hit lefties i guess.........