The 2017 Cubs May Be Even Better (than the 2012 Cubs) (No, really)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 2017 Cubs May Be Even Better (than the 2012 Cubs) (No, really)

Default The 2017 Cubs May Be Even Better (than the 2012 Cubs) (No, really)

Let's go line by line here, because let's face it, it's tough to improve on one of the worst teams in the history of modern baseball.

The 2012 Cubs: 61-101, -146 run differential. Their expected W/L was 65-97.

CF: Tony Campana ---> Jon Jay = Small upgrade
    RF: David DeJesus ---> Jason Heyward = Major downgrade
    LF: Alfonso Soriano ----> Kyle Schwarber = Massive downgrade
    3B: Luis Valbuena ----> Bryant = Updgrade
    SS: Starlin Castro---> Russell = Small downgrade
    2B: Darwin Barney ---> Zobrist/Baez = Small Upgrade
    1B: Bryan Lahair ---> Rizzo = Wash
    C: Geovany Soto---> Contreras/Montero = Push

SP: Samardzija, Wood, Maholm, Volstad, Dempster ---> Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks, Lackey, Montgomery = Upgrade. Arrieta is the best pitcher ever. Much better than Chris Sale.

Very similar bullpen. Wade Davis instead of Carlos Marmol, but for a full year.

Not going to go on record to saying this team is going to win more than 61 games. We'll have to see whether anyone challenges them for last in the central. But this team is positioned to be better on paper than they were last year. Look out. If they have the audacity to set the over/under for wins in 90-92 range, you better pop it before it jumps 3 wins.

Default Re: The 2017 Cubs May Be Even Better (than the 2012 Cubs) (No, really)

lol

EOG Dedicated

Hey Ronny, try contributing something other than trolling Javy, seems like that's all you do here
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

I forgot Ben Zobrist was still in the majors

Ronaldo is still embarrassed he predicted the 2016 Cubs to be the most overrated team in MLB history.

It's ok man. I doubt you've ever watched a full baseball game so it's not like we expect you to be an expert. Seriously. Let it go. You missed it badly. It'd be like if I said Cristiano would go down as the worst soccer player ever. If I made such a prediction I'd be embarrassed and admit I was wrong and move on. You can too.

I like that Javy is back. That bumgarner shit was wack

EOG Dedicated

this thread is gonna be a good one....

Javy, do you still think we should "pop the over" on the Cubs team total?

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
    Javy, do you still think we should "pop the over" on the Cubs team total?

Can you post where I said this? TYIA

I definitely recall advising people to 'pop the over' on the 2015 Cubs 81 total. = 97

I definitely recall advising people to 'pop the over' on the 2016 Cubs 93 total. = 103

Forgetting where I called for people to bet the over 96 on the Cubs... Can you post where I said so?

Sorry, you said we better "pop the over" if it was set at 92 wins. Will they win 82?

EOG Addicted

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Can you post where I said this? TYIA

I definitely recall advising people to 'pop the over' on the 2015 Cubs 81 total. = 97

I definitely recall advising people to 'pop the over' on the 2016 Cubs 93 total. = 103

Forgetting where I called for people to bet the over 96 on the Cubs... Can you post where I said so?
    it's 2017, stay on topic.....

Sorry, you said we better "pop the over" if it was set at 92 wins. Will they win 82?

Yes, they'll win 82. And likely 92.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    it's 2017, stay on topic.....
    So surely you can find where I said to bet the team total of 96 over in 2017. That is the imaginary topic.

in honor of the late Ronaldo's massive winning wager on the Bears season wins under, I'm prepared to announce tonight that the Cubs under is my LOCK OF THE YEAR. I have placed a massive, massive wager on it.

Lotta people took Cubs u96.5/96. I did. Just because of a WS hangover. Tough to keep winning 90+ games.

I think 92 wins is a fair benchmark.

Scrubs didn't recommend that you bet the over he keeps claiming, he just called all those who bet the under idiots and told them how unlucky the Cubs were last year to win 103 games.

He also said that unlucky team that 103 games last year wasn't as good as this years team... but he never recommended betting over 96 wins.
    tripp blows

Quote Originally Posted by Timelytowin View Post
    Scrubs didn't recommend that you bet the over he keeps claiming, he just called all those who bet the under idiots and told them how unlucky the Cubs were last year to win 103 games.

He also said that unlucky team that 103 games last year wasn't as good as this years team... but he never recommended betting over 96 wins.
    Timely, no offense man, but your obsession with me has reached outrageous levels.

I'm sorry you were wrong about Abreu being the best contract in baseball, and I'm even sorrier that I pointed out to you that he wasn't even the best first baseman contract in the city of Chicago, and I'm sorry that Rizzo has proved that by slightly over 300% the value per dollar spent the last 3 1/2 years... but bro... let it go. There will be other things to disagree about. You'll likely never bury someone like that, but you'll pinch out some victories I'm sure.

Unlike you, I have no problem recommending bets. If I recommended the Cubs over 96, why didn't I say so? I clearly said so LOUDLY in 2015 and 2016... to take the over on both of those lines... so why, if I recommended it in 2017, did I not say it? Use your brain on this one and you'll come to an answer...

Can you show me one post I made about you when you weren't posting here?
    tripp blows

Can you show me one post I made about you when you weren't posting here?
    Well yes... you responding about Abreu/Rizzo while I'm not even posting is definitely a subject concerning me and our discussion on the 2 guys dating back to 2014, but what more, I can show you posts where you claimed you were leaving this forum for me (dozens of proclamations to this effect) and then I can show you over 2 years of habitually coming back to this forum and solely posting to and about me.

What do you think a shrink would say about that behavior? Honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Well yes... you responding about Abreu/Rizzo while I'm not even posting is definitely a subject concerning me and our discussion on the 2 guys dating back to 2014, but what more, I can show you posts where you claimed you were leaving this forum for me (dozens of proclamations to this effect) and then I can show you over 2 years of habitually coming back to this forum and solely posting to and about me.

What do you think a shrink would say about that behavior? Honest question.
    Me responding to RJT about an Abreu joke was about you?

As I said, point me to one post about you while you were banned.
    tripp blows

Me responding to RJT about an Abreu joke was about you?

As I said, point me to one post about you while you were banned.
    Did you skip over the second half of my post? Because whether it is factual is not really up for debate. You said you were going to quit posting here forever because of me posting here, yet you've done the opposite. It's fair to assume you wouldn't be posting here at all anymore if I wasn't here, because you left EOG to go with your fantasy buddies to follow kinger. You post here solely for me, and it's pretty obvious. It's just weird you can't admit it.

Yet I posted here after you were banned and never mentioned you? Weird.
    tripp blows

Yet I posted here after you were banned and never mentioned you? Weird.
    Timely, were you right about Jose Abreu's contract being better than Rizzo's and the best in the league?

Cubs trolling threads going to get quieter and quieter as the year goes on.

Cubs getting healthy on that run differential vs the Reds just like last year.
    tripp blows

Not so fast sir...you are facing the pitching staff that put Eric Thames on the map. The wind blowing out is actually the Cubs best hitter this series lol

Cubs getting healthy on that run differential vs the Reds just like last year.
    Lol. You have no shame.

You called the 2005 White Sox one of the game's best teams despite having an even run differential outside of the AL Central that year, which was terrible and had a 100 loss team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangover View Post
    Not so fast sir...you are facing the pitching staff that put Eric Thames on the map. The wind blowing out is actually the Cubs best hitter this series lol
    They're 1-5 vs the Cubs and 19-16 vs everyone else. Shrug. If they're as bad as that, maybe teams should scout them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangover View Post
    That just discredits what Thames has done, not what the Cubs have done... obviously... because the Cubs are "different."
    tripp blows

That just discredits what Thames has done, not what the Cubs have done... obviously... because the Cubs are "different."
    Why didn't you care about run differential when you declared the 2005 White Sox one of the game's best teams? They had an even run differential outside of their putrid division. The Cubs were well into the green last year outside of the NL central, in comparison.

I'm honestly asking you here buddy. Not trying to get a reaction. Why didn't the White Sox struggles out of the AL Central matter to you when you're evaluating their place amongst World Series champion teams, but the Cubs dominance of the Reds and very respectable positive differential outside of the division is somehow an asterisk?

Are you basically admitting you're a homer of epic proportions? Or do you have some kind of special reasoning for why the 2005 White Sox were a great team despite the fact they played even run differential baseball outside of their terrible division?

Here's the part where you say this thread isn't about the White Sox, ignoring the obvious reality that your opinion on run differentials changes to suit whatever argument you would like to make at the time.

Another post about the White Sox in a Cub thread
    tripp blows

Lol. Nostrajavy.

Timely, you're honestly not even providing a challenge anymore. I continue making you look stupid.

The White Sox played even run differential baseball outside of their division, but they're one of the best World Series champions of all time.

The Cubs, on the other hand, dominated in their division and out of their division, but their dominance is questionable because a lot of it was against the reds.

Almost can't make this shit more embarrassing for you if you literally tried.