2017 Football Handicapping Contests in Las Vegas - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Football Handicapping Contests in Las Vegas

Just Drawn This Way Squarepants's Avatar

Default Re: 2017 Football Handicapping Contests in Las Vegas

Didn't hit 200 until July 23rd last year . . .

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 6h6 hours ago

#SuperContest Update:

204 entries for regular,

5 for #SuperContestGold. . . . .
    Never confuse price with value, consensus with wisdom, or conformity with courage.

I'm excited!!

Me, too, waco, may just get to that million dollar top prize this year.
    Never confuse price with value, consensus with wisdom, or conformity with courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow Wilson View Post
    Sides they are going to use 3 and/or possibly 7 a half point gap would eliminate much of the cherry picking advantage. I personally think only the games lined 3 need the half point gap tho.

All other #'s and all totals should have a full point gap...with every side/total using hooks.

Would like to see Kornegay also implement this for the Super Contest, and especially the 5k gold version, but I'm not holding my breath.

Might be simpler, WW, to just compress the time between posting the contest lines and the entry deadline.

The Tuesday to Wednesday move that they did several years back already has reduced the efficacy of a stale lines approach to an arguably significant extent. (Fezzik’s back-to-back wins were before the move.)

They could move the contest line posting another day to 4PM PT on Thursdays, an hour before the ThNF kick.

Another day of hammering on the lines.

And another day for the linesmakers to get a bead on whether an injured key player will be up or down and to hang a number on off-the-board games.

By way of comparison, the Golden Nugget contest (which also has the CFB sides) posts the contest lines by 3PM on Thursdays and the selection deadline is 2PM on Friday (which is tied to the show airtime). So less than 24 hours.

The much larger SuperContest has a markedly different logistical issue with getting all the selections in at the kiosks. If they went 100% online for selections – both in-state and out-of-state – that would eliminate that as a concern in compressing the time between the posting time and the selection deadline.

Personally, I would prefer compressing the time period to otherwise tinkering with the contest lines.

If you watch the line movement each week, there’s usually a substantial number of games where the SuperBook market line hasn’t moved on the game from Wednesday afternoon through 11AM on Saturday morning.

Compressing the time between the contest line posting and the selection deadline likely would reduce further the number of games that do show line movement prior to the selection deadline.

At the end of the day, however, everyone in the contest is competing against one another under the same conditions.

While it is a desirable goal to take reasonable steps to reduce the amount of stale lines, I like simple most of all.

RECAP/SUMMARY

I’ll be doing these recaps/summaries more or less as we roll over to a new page in this thread.

Not covering the “straight up” contests where players just pick all the games with no spread. Just Las Vegas football handicapping contests.

As far as I know, proxies are permitted on all of these contest offerings, either explicitly or by the absence of an explicit prohibition. Nevada gaming regulators have no issues with anyone, including out-of-staters, using proxies to put in contest selections. You do have to be present in person to sign up at the beginning . . . and to collect if you win.

So far, we have the following football handicapping contests:

● The Westgate SuperContest and – new for 2017 – SuperContest Gold, a high end season-long contest within a contest.

The regular SuperContest is $1500 an entry, with a maximum two entries per contestant (determined by social security #).

Contestants pick 5 NFL sides against contest lines posted online on Wednesday afternoons. Selections must be made by 11AM PT on Saturday mornings unless the contestant is using an earlier game (typically ThNF) on a card, in which case all five selections must go in together at the same time before the earlier game kick.

The regular contest pays down 50 places, with ties. First prize – which is subject to a tiebreaker rule – in 2016 paid $895,482.00.

Under Rule 16, “[i]n the event of a first place tie, the first place prize winner will be determined based on the contestant that accumulated the most contest points
    during the final three (3) weeks of the regular season.” If that doesn’t break the tie, they go back to Week 14 and so on until they break the tie. If they go all the way back to Week 1 without breaking the tie, they chop the first place money.

There are three bonuses for partial season mini-contests within the overall contest. Three separate 15K bonuses are paid to: (a) the leader(s) after 4 weeks; (b) the leader(s) after 8 weeks; and (c) the winner(s) of a final mini-contest the final three weeks of the season. Players must enter the regular SuperContest by an early bird entry bird deadline in early September to qualify for the final mini-contest. All three of the separate 15K bonuses are aggregate prizes that are split in case of a tie within each category. E.g., if there’s a tie after 4 weeks, they chop that 15K bonus.

The SuperContest Gold season-long contest within a contest has a $5,000 entry fee for a single winner-takes-all jackpot. The winner is determined by the same first-place tiebreaker rule described above. Players otherwise make their 5 NFL side plays as described above for the regular SuperContest. The contests appear to run separately, such that a player can use a different alias and different selections in the two contests.

There is an 8% rake on the regular SuperContest (grumble, grumble). The SuperContest Gold is 100% payback – one winner walks away with the entirety of the $5,000 SuperContest Gold entry fees in that side pot.

The SuperBook started taking entries Saturday, July 1, 2017.

The early bird entry deadline (qualifies for the mini-contest) is at 4:00 PM PT on Labor Day, September 4, 2017. The final entry deadline is at 11AM PT on Saturday, September 9, 2017, which also is the selection deadline for entries for Week 1 (unless the contestant is using the ThNF game, in which case all 5 picks are due before the ThNF kickoff).

Links to the full rules for both contests can be found here:

https://www.westgatedestinations.com...o/supercontest

● The Golden Nugget (and Las Vegas Sportsline) Friday Football Showdown

$2000 per entry. Maximum one entry. 100% payback.

Contestants initially make 7 selections (and later 9 selections mid-season) from among NFL sides and totals and CFB sides only from contest sheets posted online at midday PT on Thursdays. Selections are due by 2PM PT on Fridays. (CFB totals used to be included, but the contest is dropping those in 2017 to cut down on stale lines play.)

The contest is bifurcated into two basic phases. In the first phase, all contestants participate in an effort to make the cut for the second phase. In that second phase, the players are seeded in a series of head-to-head matches (broadcast live on the Las Vegas Sportsline radio show) leading to a winner.

It’s easier to just provide a link to the contest page as to the rather involved specifics of how all that works and as to the prize structure. “It’s complicated,” but in a good way. The link in the page below takes you to a .pdf with all the details. They’ve been doing fairly good tweaks each year to improve the contest structure and procedures.

http://www.goldennugget.com/las-vega...d-sports-book/

The Golden Nugget will start taking entries at 12 p.m. on Wednesday July 19, 2017.

The deadline to register is Tuesday, Sept. 5, at 10:00 p.m. No early bird incentives from what I can see.

● William Hill College Pick’Em Football Contest

$500 per entry. Maximum 4 entries allowed. Guaranteed 100% or better payback.

Contestants select 7 CFB sides against approximately 25 contest lines posted online each week for a total of 10 weeks.

Minimum guaranteed payout of $75,000 paid out to the top 10 finishers. $25,000 bonus is awarded to the grand prize winner if they pick 49 or more winners.

Pays out per these percentages: 50-15-10-5-5-5-2.5-2.5-2.5-2.5

Prizes chopped in the event of ties, including for first place, with no tiebreakers.

Currently taking entries. Says deadline is 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 9, 2017, but the contest also appears to start that weekend, so . . . .

https://www.williamhill.us/collegepickem/

(They also have a pro contest, but it’s primarily a straight up contest.)

– – –

So that’s what we have at the moment. Last year, there were some late season rumours of other contests, but they didn’t materialize.
    Last edited by Squarepants; 07-16-17 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Well, pot is legal in Nevada now . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post
    At the end of the day, however, everyone in the contest is competing against one another under the same conditions.

While it is a desirable goal to take reasonable steps to reduce the amount of stale lines, I like simple most of all.
    Yep. Regardless how many suggestions we post here to improve the contest, upon entering we're all accepting the rules being put forth.

I personally would like to see the Thursday games dropped from the contest, and lines made available Friday around noon with the same Saturday deadline.

GN is the more likely candidate for being more fluid regarding their handicapping contest. GN keeps games off the board and uses a much shorter window for entering picks than WG. Hopefully Brent and the guys at VISN are mentioning the GN contest. It really needs to grow this year with the expanded bracket to avoid diluting the prize pool.

GN probably should have increased the entry fee to $2500 from $2000 because of the expanded bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post
    ● The Golden Nugget (and Las Vegas Sportsline) Friday Football Showdown

$2000 per entry. Maximum one entry. 100% payback.

Contestants initially make 7 selections (and later 9 selections mid-season) from among NFL sides and totals and CFB sides only from contest sheets posted online at midday PT on Thursdays. Selections are due by 2PM PT on Fridays. (CFB totals used to be included, but the contest is dropping those in 2017 to cut down on stale lines play.)
    It appears they're keeping it at 7 weekly picks throughout the contest.

For
    the first twelve weeks (Weeks 1-
    12) of the NFL schedule, each contestant makes seven selections against the spread, from all
    NFL sides and totals
    and college sides

(Mini
    -Contest)
    Weeks 10 through 12
    of the contest will also include a Mini
    -Contest, open to all entrants, with no
    additional entry fee. The Mini
    -Contest will consist of seven selections from each week’s
    wagering card, from all NFL sides and totals and college sides

Thanks for catching that, WW.

Looks like I was a bit nonchalant in my copying-and-pasting from the prior writeup.

I'll fix that at the next stopping point.

-- -- --

Yeah, I'm with you on dropping ThNF off the contest card and having a roughly 24 hour Friday-Saturday selection window.

The SuperBook's institutional default setting has been to have as many games on the card as possible. But being able then to move the selection window to Fri.-Sat. would be worth losing one game given how much that would reduce stale lines play on the rest of the card. Watching for significant NFL line moves from Friday midday to the 11AM PT Saturday deadline can be like watching paint dry many weeks.

-- -- --

I've been wondering how much VSiN has been mentioning the GN contest. (Schedule's not conducive to listening to radio at the moment.)

Seems that VSiN is very closely involved with marketing the SuperContest this year. But Matt Youmans, who is closely involved with the GN contest, also is on VSiN.

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 12 minutes ago

#SuperContest Update:

255 entries in regular,

8 in #SuperContestGold . . . .

(still have that recap revision on my to-do list, WW)

LVSuperBook‏ @LVSuperBook 2m2 minutes ago

#SuperContest continues record pace now over 300.

$1500 entry fee, 15K bonus for 1/4, 1/2 leaders plus Mini-Contest. SCW [SuperContest Weekend] coming Aug 17-19

At almost exactly this time last year, they instead were just cresting 200.

So they're 100 entries and 50% ahead of last year's pace so far, although I doubt that projects to a final entry total 50% above last year.

They didn't hit 300 last year until August 5th.

Thanks for the updates SP...it appears early to be another record draw.

It'll be nice if that 5k contest draws above 100.

'ppreciate that, WW.

I missed this sneaky count update from three days back:

Jay Kornegay‏ @JayKornegay Jul 25

Replying to @pops3284
    344 right now. Rolling in

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 1h1 hour ago

#SuperContest Update:

374 entries in regular, should hit 400 this weekend,

10 in #SuperContestGold.

-- -- --

In 2016, they didn't hit 374 until Wednesday, August 10th, so they're running almost two weeks ahead of LY's pace.

-- -- --

Pretty good on the Gold, which has no early bird registration incentive, IIRC. Likely mostly out-of-towners doing their signups and proxy setup while currently in town.

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 3h3 hours ago

#SuperContest just hit 400 entries at @LVSuperBook.

Was 244 entries at midday on 07/29/16, so we're currently running 156 entries, 63.9%, above last year's pace.

Didn't reach 400 until 08/12/16 last year, putting us a full two weeks ahead of last year's pace.

^^^

I think it receives most entries the final 2 or 3 weeks but SP have you heard any # for the Nugget contest?

No word yet, Woodrow.

They just opened registration on July 19, and IIRC they don't have any early bird incentives. So probably not more than a handful so far.

Doesn't look like Vegas Matty and his partner have signed anyone up for that one yet, as his tweets are one of my primary resources for contest counts right now.

Would be checking the 2PM Las Vegas Sportsline show for updates normally, but being back at work through September 30 (a/k/a Week 4) has put a crimp in that.

They're often cagy about specific numbers early on, though, until they get up to a more respectable number.

SuperContest Proxy‏ @FootballContest 9h9 hours ago

FYI, #FridayFootballShowdown at @GoldenNuggetLV does include college football totals again per @aaronkessler. . . . .

-- -- --

Heard the same thing from another bettor who's a reliable source at the end of a conversation as we were going our separate ways.

The old GN rules -- with CFB sides only -- came up on the GN site a few minutes back on another computer.

But tried on my laptop and the new rules -- with CFB totals also included -- spun up. (Matty also has a copy of the new rules with totals on his site.)

Not quite sure why they backtracked on that, as it seemed they were set on taking at least that highly stale lines element out of the contest.

But they definitely have changed back to including CFB totals.

EOG Addicted

I will look into the reasoning behind this decision. For the record, it was far from
    unanimous as far as contestants wanting them to eliminate totals and if nixing totals
    would decrease entries then it's a no-brainer to include them.

Glad that you're on the case on that, Voodoo.

Guess that there's no prize for having "the best contest that nobody entered."

-- -- --

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 2h2 hours ago

#SuperContest Update from @LVSuperBook:

454 entries in regular contest,

10 in #SuperContestGold. . . . .

-- -- --

Looked at last year and there were no ready comparisons during this stretch. We're still way up on last year's pace so far, of course.

Somebody should mention to Miller to use the line gaps I've mentioned for the college totals.

The 24 hour window with a full point gap would eliminate most of the advantage using totals.

T'aint much, and there's not abundant focus on this contest compared to the others. But it is the only solely CFB handicapping contest in town. And it's a data point:

William Hill US‏Verified account @WilliamHillUS 23h23 hours ago

We're @ 15 entries in our College Football Contest. Register Today! 100% payback with $75,000 in guaranteed cash prizes, deadline is 9/9

WH could become +EV if it lacks entries.

I missed the money by one game last year.

Hot off the virtual presses:

LVSuperBook‏ @LVSuperBook 10m10 minutes ago

Record pace for the #SuperContest continues as entries roll past 500! $1500 entry fee, Top 50 win $$, Pick 5 games each week vs contest line

That puts them 200 entries, currently 66.7%, ahead of last year's pace, as they crested 300 on 8/05/16.

They didn't pass 500 until 8/16 last year.

Raffle rules for the 6 entry giveaways for SuperContest Weekend:

http://online.flowpaper.com/78230730...leTicketRules/

For the eagle eyes amongst you, the SuperContest Gold has been holding flat at 10 for a while, but there's no early bird incentive on that one:

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 8m8 minutes ago

#SuperContest Update at @LVSuperBook:

525 entries in regular contest,

10 in #SuperContestGold. . . . .

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 6h6 hours ago

#SuperContest Update from @LVSuperBook:

591 entries in regular contest,

13 in #SuperContestGold.

-- -- --

"Sudden 30% uptick in SuperContest Gold registrations!!!" lol
    Last edited by Squarepants; 08-08-17 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Hey, it's been a long, busy day . . .

EOG Addicted

SuperContest now at 614 as of Thursday morning.

I was lucky number 13 for the Gold contest. SuperContest entries ahead of the
    5K Gold entries by better than 40-1 ratio. About what I projected.

I read that Kornegay was thinking the gold version would come in around 50. I still think it'll be closer to 100.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by Woodrow Wilson View Post
    I read that Kornegay was thinking the gold version would come in around 50. I still think it'll be closer to 100.
    When I first heard about it, I thought 30 to 50 was the most likely. Below 30 would be very poor since Leroy's Money talks in one year had 32 contestants head to head at $5k apiece with little fanfare (I know, I was one of the contestants as was Voodoo and Mike Corrigan ). More than 50 entrants will be challenging.

Voodoo and ComptrBob sightings in this offseason thread on the same day . . . must be getting real close to real football.

Here's the latest follow on update from the twitter roll:

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 30m30 minutes ago

#SuperContest Update: Just signed up 20 more entries, bringing total to

15 in #SuperContestGold. . . . .

VegasMatty‏ @Vegas_Matty 2h2 hours ago

#SuperContest Update: Just hit 700 entries at @LVSuperBook . . .

-- -- --

Currently more entries than in any year prior to 2012.

-- -- --

300 entries and 75% higher than LY at this time, with 400 entries.

Didn't hit 700 entries until 8/23/16.

They did this one for Woodrow Wilson:

SuperContest Proxy‏ @FootballContest 2h2 hours ago

#FridayFootballShowdown at @GoldenNuggetLV up to 22 entries. Only Vegas football contest with mix of pro & college, sides & totals

. . . .

[Filler post so that I can literally turn the page.]