Quintana must think he's dreaming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quintana must think he's dreaming

Default Quintana must think he's dreaming

look at all of the runs he has to work with

Default Re: Quintana must think he's dreaming

Cubs bats alive-and-well to start the second half run. Had to be plain awful to try and pitch with the weak pathetic White sox offense backing you.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Speaking of Baltimore, how long until they get a SP that is above a #4 caliber? Hard to win with a rotation of 4s-5s.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Facing the O's.....a great way for an offense to come out of a slump.

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Facing the O's.....a great way for an offense to come out of a slump.
    And to see the Braves next. That's a nice way to start the 2h (hopefully).

Cubs win the division by 6 games. Cream-rises-to-the-top.

www.gabewins.com Baseball Zealot's Avatar

Brewers SP won't hold up. you're right rico
    Baseball handicapper

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    And to see the Braves next. That's a nice way to start the 2h (hopefully).
    Atlanta has been better than I thought they would be. I'd like to see Freddie Freeman get tested at 3B. Maybe a few bunts down the 3B line.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball Zealot View Post
    Brewers SP won't hold up. you're right rico

Today's game a perfect example. "Five-Six-inning-Garza" every five days. Ok, sure he keeps them in the game (somehow) but has taxed the bullpen all year. Which is awesome because Nicky just hit his first career Grand-Slam!!!

Nick Williams folks! Remember his name! The fightins' got a good one in that young man!

Quintana commented he was grateful for the move from the South Side of Chicago to the North Side so he could pitch in front of big crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Quintana commented he was grateful for the move from the South Side of Chicago to the North Side so he could pitch in front of big crowds.
    Where?

Back page of Saturday's Chicago Sun-Times.

Back page of Saturday's Chicago Sun-Times.
    In the G-Witt piece? He never said that. Just said it was an honor to play for the fanbase under the bright lights.

Don't think Q would ever be critical of the fans or organization that gave him a chance and made him a lot of money following his release. He was very appreciative of the Sox.

Never said he was grateful to be traded. Said if he was going to be he wanted to go there which makes sense since he wouldn't have to move and Chicago is all he's known in his MLB career. He said he didn't want to be traded but I can't imagine that's true; probably just player speak.

I didn't view Quintana's comments as a slight to the White Sox.

But we both know if the White Sox don't win, they don't draw.

Sub-headline in the Sun-Times read, "Cubs energized by trade for Quintana, who's excited to pitch in front of full houses."

I didn't view Quintana's comments as a slight to the White Sox.

But we both know if the White Sox don't win, they don't draw.
    Sure, I don't disagree. I'm just saying he never said he was grateful to be traded and never implied he was happy to be playing in front of full houses compared to the south side.

He always claimed he didn't want to be traded - maybe he didn't want to move - so this worked out for him and he's as classy as it gets so I'm happy it worked out for him. Soft spoken, classy, hard working and underrated. Was funny to see all the cub fans who called him overrated and etc for years jump on boars. Guy deserves a better opportunity with the Sox rebuilding. I wish him luck.

Sub-headline in the Sun-Times read, "Cubs energized by trade for Quintana, who's excited to pitch in front of full houses."
    Yeah that was just the Sun Times antagonizing things. If you read his quotes he never said anything that remotely resembled being grateful to play for the cubs because they have full houses. Reporter asked him how he'd handle the pressure and fans and he said he was excited for it - as he should be.

Understood now.

Thanks for the clarification.

From the "outhouse" to the "PENTHOUSE" Quintana should dominate his new division. Theo strikes gold again. Nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    From the "outhouse" to the "PENTHOUSE" Quintana should dominate his new division. Theo strikes gold again. Nothing new.
    The pre-emptive strike was brilliant. Now everyone else in a react mode. No excuse for Houston; they had all season to make a deal for Quintana. Now they have to hope Beane will be willing to deal Gray within the division (and I doubt he will). Verlander will obviously be available, but at a much bigger contract and much higher age. The Giants two RH veterans likely could be had, but again, with big contracts. Have to think Houston regrets releasing Straily late in 2016 spring training. He'd be their #3 but now he's going to cost them.

The pre-emptive strike was brilliant. Now everyone else in a react mode. No excuse for Houston; they had all season to make a deal for Quintana. Now they have to hope Beane will be willing to deal Gray within the division (and I doubt he will). Verlander will obviously be available, but at a much bigger contract and much higher age. The Giants two RH veterans likely could be had, but again, with big contracts. Have to think Houston regrets releasing Straily late in 2016 spring training. He'd be their #3 but now he's going to cost them.
    Could not agree more with all you said. Theo set the market. Now the Brewers have a fantasy about acquiring Happ. Brewers are sellers if anything (Braun). I do not think the Astros will win the pennant. And when Lunhow looks back at how his fantastic regular season did not result in a trip to the WS, all signs will point to losing Quintana to the defending champs. A fine regular season for the Astros. I see their postseason ending miserably. Indians love to play them, so I would not be shocked to see those two face-off in the ALDS. With the Tribe eliminating them.

I don't expect a class act like Quintana to trash his former organization, but you'd be pretty naive to believe he's not excited about this deal. Better fan base, better defense, better offense, better organization, better chance to win a title. What's not to like for him? He seems to have already bonded with Contreras, so that helps as well.

I think getting out of the south side will be the best thing to ever happen to him.

All of a sudden Javy is a Quintana supporter after bashing him for a couple years...who knew?
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    All of a sudden Javy is a Quintana supporter after bashing him for a couple years...who knew?
    He's cheap and should benefit from moving to a real organization.

50-54 in his career despite the fact he's pitched well for most of his career. All of the losing due to the incompetence around him definitely had an impact on his rocky start this year.

Thanks that your Phillies at least won one against the Brewers.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    He's cheap and should benefit from moving to a real organization.

50-54 in his career despite the fact he's pitched well for most of his career. All of the losing due to the incompetence around him definitely had an impact on his rocky start this year.

Thanks that your Phillies at least won one against the Brewers.
    I think that is a fine W/L record considering the team's he played for. The last four years the white sox were so pathetic. They could not sniff .500. Now that he is with a winning team, I fully expect his W's to mount. Also playing on a "team" rather than the dysfunctional rosters he is used to? Just has to be refreshing for Quintana.

Cubs have Arrieta, Quintana, and Lester lined up for the Cardinals series this weekend.

Would not be surprised to see Arrieta get into a groove. He's made more road starts than anyone in baseball.

Not a huge deal but I'd split Quintana and Lester up eventually. Too similar to throw them back to back I think.

Cubs have Arrieta, Quintana, and Lester lined up for the Cardinals series this weekend.

Would not be surprised to see Arrieta get into a groove. He's made more road starts than anyone in baseball.
    I was just going to post about his home/road differential in starts. No question that will impact results. Kind of surprising to have that big a split (13 road, 6 home) this deep into the season.

I think the team in the Central the Cubs may have an eye on is Pittsburgh. They have had everything go wrong this season, with Marte getting an 81 gamer, Taillon getting cancer, problems at closer and McCutcheon off to a terrible start. Marte is back this week, Taillon has come back strongly after missing a month, McCutcheon has been hot, Rivero looks like a legit closer, and they have a new power source in Bell.

I think the team in the Central the Cubs may have an eye on is Pittsburgh. They have had everything go wrong this season, with Marte getting an 81 gamer, Taillon getting cancer, problems at closer and McCutcheon off to a terrible start. Marte is back this week, Taillon has come back strongly after missing a month, McCutcheon has been hot, Rivero looks like a legit closer, and they have a new power source in Bell.
    That's my surprise turnaround team too. But only if they don't do something like trade the red-hot Mccutcheon or something stupid like Cole. I think the central produces one wild-card between the Pirates and Brewers. If the Braves are buyers and not sellers? Then I have them taking the other spot. Fade Arizona and Rockies until they make some moves. Arizona needs a bat and pen help. Rockies need as much pitching as they can acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    That's my surprise turnaround team too. But only if they don't do something like trade the red-hot Mccutcheon or something stupid like Cole. I think the central produces one wild-card between the Pirates and Brewers. If the Braves are buyers and not sellers? Then I have them taking the other spot. Fade Arizona and Rockies until they make some moves. Arizona needs a bat and pen help. Rockies need as much pitching as they can acquire.
    I'm more bullish on Arizona than Colorado. Milwaukee needs to get a starting pitcher. They are ahead of schedule, so they may not want to part with prospects. The Braves were supposedly one of the teams who was going after Quintana, but that's as much about 2018-2020 as this year, due to his contract. Can St. Louis be totally ruled out? But unlike the Pirates, they haven't had so much misfortune early on. They just seem to have underperformed.

I'm more bullish on Arizona than Colorado. Milwaukee needs to get a starting pitcher. They are ahead of schedule, so they may not want to part with prospects. The Braves were supposedly one of the teams who was going after Quintana, but that's as much about 2018-2020 as this year, due to his contract. Can St. Louis be totally ruled out? But unlike the Pirates, they haven't had so much misfortune early on. They just seem to have underperformed.
    I watched the Pirates take the series yesterday against them. I think its a safe bet to rule them out. Awful pen, and yesterday they tried Brett Cecil as closer. They also have a putrid defense. It was the combination of their inability to play defense and no closer/pen that allowed the Pirates to walk-off. Now maybe if they add legit pen arms? And can acquire a few bats that can play in the field? Then I would definitely change my opinion.

Not a huge deal but I'd split Quintana and Lester up eventually. Too similar to throw them back to back I think.
    Good point on splitting up Q and Lester. Maybe Hendricks does that.

Cubs Shuffle Rotation to Maximize Jose Quintana Deployment

July 19, 2017, by Brett Taylor Chicago Cubs News
    ADVERTISEMENT

The Chicago Cubs have been relatively aggressive this year in using off-days to reconfigure the rotation for the purposes of maximizing upcoming match-ups, and I’m a big fan. It probably doesn’t give them a huge edge in the aggregated long run, but even a 1% or 2% bump could mean an extra win or two by the end of the year. Why not take everything you can get?
    The latest rotation switcharoo has Jon Lester flip-flopping with Jose Quintana (Gonzales), which will allow Quintana to be the one Cubs starter who will face both the Cardinals in the next series, and then the Brewers series after the intervening four-game White Sox series.
    Given the competitive NL Central – the Cubs are now just 2.5 games behind the Brewers, and 2.0 games ahead of the Cardinals – getting Quintana going against both the Brewers and Cardinals (who are also less familiar with him) is the right move.

ADVERTISEMENT

Added bonus? Although the Brewers are split neutral as a team (98 wRC+ versus lefties, 97 wRC+ versus righties), the Cardinals are much worse against lefties (88 wRC+) than righties (98 wRC+). The Cardinals will get both Quintana and Jon Lester.

Smart move. Quintana will own his division.

Gets to carve up the bucket-of-shit Cards tonight.