Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time?

Default Re: Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time?

I love how people are acting like the Cubs are completely incapable of regaining last year's form. What has changed? I'm looking for a meaningful roster change from last year and can't seem to find one. Ian Happ is outhitting Fowler. Contreras is better offensively. Russell turned it on in the 2nd half last year and beasted in the playoffs. Schwarber seems to be turning a corner. Bryant has MVP talent, Rizzo is Rizzo... Zobrist certainly has some left in the tank to get hot. Heyward is better than last year.

The only reason anyone would think the Cubs had no chance if they don't think Lester or Hendricks can pitch anything like last year. Don't understand that line of thinking. And Quintana is obviously better than Lackey. Their playoff rotation this year will arguably be better than last year. No Lackey throw away.

Honestly, I'd be patient with this Cubs team.

I can't see a reasonable baseball mind not thinking there's a pretty good chance Lester, Hendricks, Arrieta, and Quintana start pitching well and go on a run here. All 4 are capable of having dominant halves, and all 4 have had them lots in the last several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Having spent $40 million more in payroll this year than the second highest team, shouldn't they expected to be great?

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm
    Good point. I don't know how people gloss over the fact they're more flamboyant with their spending than the old Yankees. They buy 5 expensive players for 3 slots knowing their shitty decisions will result in at least 2 shit shows.

EOG Dedicated

when George Steinbrenner was around the yankees did not win it every year.... after he bought them from CBS in 1973 ........they won I think 7 WS....... The sons took over after he died in 2010..that is when they started to put the brakes on. His payroll was always on top. No guarantee's anyone wins .

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    I love how people are acting like the Cubs are completely incapable of regaining last year's form. What has changed? I'm looking for a meaningful roster change from last year and can't seem to find one. Ian Happ is outhitting Fowler. Contreras is better offensively. Russell turned it on in the 2nd half last year and beasted in the playoffs. Schwarber seems to be turning a corner. Bryant has MVP talent, Rizzo is Rizzo... Zobrist certainly has some left in the tank to get hot. Heyward is better than last year.

The only reason anyone would think the Cubs had no chance if they don't think Lester or Hendricks can pitch anything like last year. Don't understand that line of thinking. And Quintana is obviously better than Lackey. Their playoff rotation this year will arguably be better than last year. No Lackey throw away.
    Happ doesn't scare anyone at leadoff, Fowler does. It doesn't matter what Fowler is doing in StL, its what isn't getting done in Chicago right now.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

EOG Dedicated

1990 braves and twins finished last
    1991 braves and twins in WS

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Happ doesn't scare anyone at leadoff, Fowler does. It doesn't matter what Fowler is doing in StL, its what isn't getting done in Chicago right now.
    Fowler and his .881 OPS last year in the first half vs

Happ and his .869 OPS sharing time with Jon Jay and his .785. It's not CF that's the problem. Hendricks getting hurt shortly after the 6 starts in a row with 2 ER or less was probably the most damning part of the first half slide b/c the Butler/Montgomery starts have been a shit show and depleted the bullpen at best and lost the game early at worst.

Fowler and his .881 OPS last year in the first half vs

Happ and his .869 OPS sharing time with Jon Jay and his .785. It's not CF that's the problem. Hendricks getting hurt shortly after the 6 starts in a row with 2 ER or less was probably the most damning part of the first half slide b/c the Butler/Montgomery starts have been a shit show and depleted the bullpen at best and lost the game early at worst.
    Fielding aside, the leadoff hitter spot has been a nightmare for Chicago. The Hendricks part, 100% agree.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Nothing I said was immature at all. Let's not let anyone gloss over that fact.

If you're looking for the culprit in starting immature insults, you need to look inward, my friend.
    Yeah-I simply stated a fact about Cubs having an inferior approach as last year. You then resorted to name calling. Show me the posts where I wrote off the Cubs last year. Also do you actually think the Cubs hitting approach has been as good as last season? I predicted the Cubs starting pitching would regress before this season and you predictably reacted like you normally do.

EOG Dedicated

If zobrist & #2 gets on , happ IMO could hit .300.... happ appears to be cutting down on strikeouts.... he is learning what they are teaching him ...was on pace for 194 strikeouts in 162 games.... now down to 180's.... he has been hitting better due to more contact. Swarber knows difference between a ball and strike (high walk rate) actually better than happ ....only thing he just can't hit it yet. If he ever learns it.... look out.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Fielding aside, the leadoff hitter spot has been a nightmare for Chicago. The Hendricks part, 100% agree.
    This stat will warm the heart of even the most pessimistic Cubs fan.

Arrieta's ERA since Montero was DFA'd is 1.40. His ERA on the year when Montero isn't behind the plate is 2.82.

I'm honestly a little angry that someone made the decision to pair those two up and keep it going for that long. Completely fucked Arrieta's numbers. Boras might want to tattoo that stat on Arrieta's forehead this off season.

Having a catcher that couldn't throw a baseball even a little bit was fine when Arrieta was allowing 1 base runner every 2 innings. But Christ, everybody to get on first ended up on 3rd somehow with Montero.

Well, they still need a veteran C, could be Avila.
    -

Some big strategic mistakes by the Dodgers in last year's NLCS. They were getting tremendous leads......but Friedman is opposed to stealing bases. They could've stolen a number of bases on both Lester and Arrieta, instead they took giant leads and leaned back to first.

Ironically, it was old school Dusty Baker who exploited that weakness. While Dusty may have some faults, being shy about stealing against suspectible pitchers isn't one. If the Cubs and Dodgers were to meet up again this postseason, it would be interesting to see if the Dodgers learned from their mistakes. My guess? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Some big strategic mistakes by the Dodgers in last year's NLCS. They were getting tremendous leads......but Friedman is opposed to stealing bases. They could've stolen a number of bases on both Lester and Arrieta, instead they took giant leads and leaned back to first.

Ironically, it was old school Dusty Baker who exploited that weakness. While Dusty may have some faults, being shy about stealing against suspectible pitchers isn't one. If the Cubs and Dodgers were to meet up again this postseason, it would be interesting to see if the Dodgers learned from their mistakes. My guess? Nope.
    Arrieta got lit up against the Dodgers, so it didn't cost them that game... I wouldn't say it was a big mistake not to run on Lester. Stealing on Lester is hard, people act like it's not but the success rates tell otherwise always. Part of that is it's so built into the game plan for the Cubs, but the other part is that he's just super fast to home. In 2 1/2 years here in Chicago, I'd say I've seen teams run themselves out of innings against Lester 3-4 times as often as they've mounted a rally because of his issues.

Arrieta got lit up against the Dodgers, so it didn't cost them that game... I wouldn't say it was a big mistake not to run on Lester. Stealing on Lester is hard, people act like it's not but the success rates tell otherwise always. Part of that is it's so built into the game plan for the Cubs, but the other part is that he's just super fast to home.
    It doesn't matter if one is chickenshit about trying to steal, and Friedman is scared of his team's trying to steal. I thought the analytics guys said they needed a 70% success rate, which isn't unreasonable. But if they want to sit around and wait for the 3 run HR against those guys in October, best of luck to them.

If it wasn't for Lester's first base issue, having him paired up with Ross or Contreras would be a red light, no one should be trying to steal but guys like Billy Hamilton.

As it is, I think runners are around 50 percent on him. The only benefit to all that nonsense is bothering him mentally. But it's Jon Lester, he's pitched in a lot of big moments, I don't think it's the right approach in most situations.

Looking great. Quite a feat so far

Nice to bryant ejected, throw it right at his head

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    Nice to bryant ejected, throw it right at his head
    You don't seem ok lately railbird

The Dodgers are the first team to 70 wins.

The 2017 Dodgers are not even the best Dodger team of all time. Best Dodger team of all time is they 1978 Dodgers! Two reasons. Tommy John, he had a surgery named after him and Manny Mota, he was like, 63 and hitting pinch hit doubles.
    "All I know is that I know nothing"- Socrates