Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time?

Default Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time?

Naturally assuming they win it all. What don't they have? They seem to have more depth than last year's Cubs.

Default Re: Where Do LA Dodgers Rank All-Time?

Just looking ahead the Cubs are now a bad matchup for them. 3 of their 4 playoff pitchers for Dodgers are lefties and Cubs hit lefties well.

Meanwhile, Cubs have Lester, Quintana, and Montgomery in long relief and Dodgers hit righties much better.

But sure if it's chalk it'll be Astros Dodgers.

Reminds me of 2008 when Cubs were world beaters but had a problem with hard throwing righties and Dodgers were okay but rolled into town with 3 hard throwing righties with good sinkers and swept the Cubs outta the playoffs.

Chris Taylor: from a hitter incapable of hitting the side of a barn, to hall-of-famer.

Still don't trust the starting pitching. As good as they have been.

McCarthy? haha. Hill? The guy was picked up off the scrap heap.

Don't make me post Kershaw's postseason numbers. Guy always gets gassed out towards the end.

Nothing to see here. Move on..

In a 7 game series with the Cubs, a lefty would be starting 5 or 6 of the games, and the Cubs have a team OPS of .813 vs lefties despite struggling for most of the year in general. Not ideal.

Heim,

I know you know all too well as to what happened to the 2015-2016 Warriors, and lets throw the 2007 Patriots in as well. Going back, we can throw in the 2001 Mariners and the 1998 Vikings in as well. Until a team wins the championship, they cannot be viewed in terms of all-time greatness.

Based on WAR....the '01 Mariners are the 2nd greatest team of all-time & LAD are on pace to exceed that number.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Reminds me of 2008 when Cubs were world beaters but had a problem with hard throwing righties and Dodgers were okay but rolled into town with 3 hard throwing righties with good sinkers and swept the Cubs outta the playoffs.

And if memory serves, the Cubs were solidly favored (-180 or so) to win that series against L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    And if memory serves, the Cubs were solidly favored (-180 or so) to win that series against L.A.
    Yes, they were. The Dodgers only won 84 games that season. Manny Ramirez came over from Boston and looked like a hybrid of Ted Williams and Barry Bonds.

Postseason baseball is just a different animal. Nobody plays for one run during the regular season, yet we see it often in the playoffs. I also believe that after a 6 month regular season, many sluggers start to tire.

THEY HAVENT WON ANYTHING AND YOUR ASKING THIS QUESTION!!

Just looking ahead the Cubs are now a bad matchup for them. 3 of their 4 playoff pitchers for Dodgers are lefties and Cubs hit lefties well.

Meanwhile, Cubs have Lester, Quintana, and Montgomery in long relief and Dodgers hit righties much better.

But sure if it's chalk it'll be Astros Dodgers.
    The Dodgers have a higher OPS this year against lefties than righties.

The Dodgers have 2nd highest OPS against lefties behind only the Astros.

You're statement that LAD hits righties much better is incorrect.

When the playoffs start we will find out how overrated their pitching staff is because other than Kershaw they wont get past the fifth or sixth inning come playoffs. Middle relievers by then would have been used too much during the season and will blow games.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    The Dodgers have a higher OPS this year against lefties than righties.

The Dodgers have 2nd highest OPS against lefties behind only the Astros.

You're statement that LAD hits righties much better is incorrect.
    It's been a trend for a few years. I'd hesitate to say a few months made it disappear bc I think the league will make some adjustments to some guys who are experiencing a lot more success than anyone expected.

But the Cubs remain a poor matchup for them in any event due to the fact the Cubs hit lefties well and the Dodgers will be firing Kershaw, Wood, and Hill.

It's been a trend for a few years. I'd hesitate to say a few months made it disappear bc I think the league will make some adjustments to some guys who are experiencing a lot more success than anyone expected.

But the Cubs remain a poor matchup for them in any event due to the fact the Cubs hit lefties well and the Dodgers will be firing Kershaw, Wood, and Hill.
    Worry bout making the playoffs before talking bout a matchup with the best NL team.

If the rumors are true, LAD working on getting Britton....they'll be tough to beat.
    The art of learning is learning who to ignore ~LeAnn Rimes

Didn't the Cubs get swept in Los Angeles not long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Royken View Post
    When the playoffs start we will find out how overrated their pitching staff is because other than Kershaw they wont get past the fifth or sixth inning come playoffs. Middle relievers by then would have been used too much during the season and will blow games.
    That is true. Also their lineup which has scored at will. Let's see how they do in a series against solid 1's and 2's. I doubt Taylor will continue to get bloop doubles.

The biggest difference between Cubs offense last season and this season has been plate discipline and generating quality AB's. If the Cubs don't fix that it will be a short post season for them
    If they even make it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    If the rumors are true, LAD working on getting Britton....they'll be tough to beat.

Britton AND Jansen, an embarrassment of riches.

Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    Didn't the Cubs get swept in Los Angeles not long ago?
    Who won the NLCS last year? Refresh my memory.

As for regular season sweeps, the A's just swept the Indians. Who would you expect to do better in the playoffs between those two teams?

If Dodgers get a healthy Britton that would almost seem unfair.

This has zero to do with last year. Different teams, different lineups.

The Cubs scored a total of 4 runs in their three game series in Los Angeles May 26-28.

Alex Wood's line on May 26:
    5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K.

In fairness, they did get to Kershaw in the finale, but they still lost that game by five runs. At this point I don't thing any sane person can argue that the Dodgers are far and away the most complete team in the NL. I'm not sure that there's such a thing as a "bad matchup" for them.

Don't The Washington Nationals belong in this discussion ?

I stopped caring about mlb when harry carry retired

Quote Originally Posted by bomzee View Post
    Don't The Washington Nationals belong in this discussion ?
    If this addition to the bullpen holds up, one of the best offenses I have ever seen but the bullpen has been the worst in mlb. They would need to be up 3-4 runs every game , hopefully doolittle and madsen help out but they need robertson

The Cubs scored a total of 4 runs in their three game series in Los Angeles May 26-28.

In fairness, they did get to Kershaw in the finale, but they still lost that game by five runs. At this point I don't thing any sane person can argue that the Dodgers are far and away the most complete team in the NL. I'm not sure that there's such a thing as a "bad matchup" for them.
    The Dodgers have been the most complete team in the NL. Clearly better than Washington, IMO. My point is that in the small series, those teams often feel the most pressure.

The biggest difference between Cubs offense last season and this season has been plate discipline and generating quality AB's. If the Cubs don't fix that it will be a short post season for them
    If they even make it there.
    With all due respect you were one of the ignorant folks declaring that NLCS over when the Dodgers took a 2-1 lead and the Cubs offense seemed to be left for dead. And you certainly called the Cubs dead in the World Series. In case you missed it, the Cubs won 3 straight games in both series after you gave up on their chances.

An intelligent person would learn from their mistakes.

Lol the Dodgers will be a betting favorite over anyone they play, but of course favorites have teams they'd rather avoid. Even the best teams of all time have less favorable match ups than others.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Britton AND Jansen, an embarrassment of riches.
    Dodgers issues in playoffs is pitching in the 5th, 6th and 7th innings. Other than Kershaw their starting staff is soft and wont go far in games. Middle relief will turn to crap in the postseason as they are used too much during the regular season.

With all due respect you were one of the ignorant folks declaring that NLCS over when the Dodgers took a 2-1 lead and the Cubs offense seemed to be left for dead. And you certainly called the Cubs dead in the World Series. In case you missed it, the Cubs won 3 straight games in both series after you gave up on their chances.

An intelligent person would learn from their mistakes.
    I did? I don't remember saying those things but if you pull up the posts to prove me wrong I will defer.

Why do you act like a petulant child for merely pointing out the Cubs approach and quality of AB's are down from last year? Do you disagree? Also I find it funny that when I corrected you that LAD is better against LHP than RHP this year you respond saying 60% of an entire season is a small sample size. You are the guy to constantly declare certain pitchers as washed up after one bad inning.

Just grow up Javy. Stop reacting about the Cubs the same way a 4 year old defends his mother.

Some of Kershaw's post season stats:

89 innings pitched
    14 games started
    4-7
    4.55 era
    1.15 whip

Not exactly impressive for a guy considered one of the best SP of his generation. And for a post season resume, that's not really a small sample size.

Guy just runs out of gas by October. Or he's simply not clutch when it really matters. Or a little of both.

Having spent $40 million more in payroll this year than the second highest team, shouldn't they expected to be great?

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

I did? I don't remember saying those things but if you pull up the posts to prove me wrong I will defer.

Why do you act like a petulant child for merely pointing out the Cubs approach and quality of AB's are down from last year? Do you disagree? Also I find it funny that when I corrected you that LAD is better against LHP than RHP this year you respond saying 60% of an entire season is a small sample size. You are the guy to constantly declare certain pitchers as washed up after one bad inning.

Just grow up Javy. Stop reacting about the Cubs the same way a 4 year old defends his mother.
    Nothing I said was immature at all. Let's not let anyone gloss over that fact.

If you're looking for the culprit in starting immature insults, you need to look inward, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    Some of Kershaw's post season stats:

89 innings pitched
    14 games started
    4-7
    4.55 era
    1.15 whip

Not exactly impressive for a guy considered one of the best SP of his generation. And for a post season resume, that's not really a small sample size.

Guy just runs out of gas by October. Or he's simply not clutch when it really matters. Or a little of both.
    Biggest game of his life last year at Wrigley on full rest. Didn't go well.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7395516...homer-to-right