My Monday blog

Thread: My Monday blog

Default My Monday blog

Greetings from Chicago where I'll spend the next few weeks visiting five ballparks in the Midwest and attending EOG's Third Annual Day at the Races on Saturday, August 5th at Arlington Park.

My visit to the first of five parks was not a Major League ballpark but rather a stadium home to an Independent League team called the SouthShore Gary RailCats.

Yesterday's journey to northwest Indiana will be followed by trips to Wrigley Field, Guaranteed Rate Field, Miller Park and Busch Stadium.

U.S. Steel Yard is a cozy 6,100-seat, open-air stadium located in downtown Gary.

The park's biggest claim-to-fame took place on July 10, 2009 when it served as the site of a standing-room-only memorial service for pop music star Michael Jackson, who died at the age of 50 from cardiac arrest induced by propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication.

Jackson was a hometown hero in Gary after rising to fame as the pint-sized leader of The Jackson 5 and later as a solo artist.

Despite enduring a stressful childhood as the eighth of 10 children living in a two-bedroom house (2300 Jackson Street) in the largely African-American community of Gary, Jackson gained worldwide prominence as a dancer, singer and songwriter.

His fame exploded exponentially after he separated from his troubled family.

His most popular album, Thriller, remains as the top seller worldwide with more than 65 million copies sold.

Jackson was dogged throughout his career as the subject of countless child molestation allegations, yet his loyal followers dismissed the rumors and continued to idolize the music superstar.

While Jackson was wildly talented and known as the "King of Pop," there was not much talent or pop at the ballpark in Gary where the homestanding RailCats defeated the Salina Stockade in a Sunday afternoon game with little or no implication for anyone on the field or in the stands.

At one point, I wondered what I was doing watching an Independent League game where the pitchers topped out at 88 miles per hour.

(Editor's note: my sisters organized a church outing to the park)

I was monitoring Sunday's MLB games on my phone while watching the game in Gary.

After the San Diego Padres hit the San Francisco Giants with four runs in the first inning and three more in the third to blow up the first of three Sunday wagers (under 7.5 runs at Petco Park), I was ready to leave the stadium.

Frustratingly, the Padres led the Giants, 7-1, after three innings of play and the final six innings failed to produce a single run.

Just when the game exceeded the total, the scoring stopped.

San Diego starter Trevor Cahill continued his dominance at home, improving to 4-0 while allowing only two earned runs in 25 innings of work this season at Petco Park.

Home/road splits are critical to baseball bettors with the understanding most MLB pitchers feel more comfortable on their home mound than enemy surroundings.

Of course, this basic information is incorporated in the betting marketplace.

More digging is needed to find the nuggets that keep baseball bettors ahead of the competition and the single biggest factor in handicapping a baseball game remains how members of both starting lineups have fared and more importantly will fare against today's starting pitchers.

I also like to fade pitchers in poor current form and the bigger the name, the better the opportunity.

Baltimore's Kevin Gausman served as the O's best pitcher last season and this season he's headed in the wrong direction.

There's talk he may be demoted to the minors but those of us betting against Gausman want to see him remain with the parent club for the foreseeable future.

Gausman is allowing opponents to hit .323 this season and his earned run average rose to 6.39 after he yielded four homers in three innings last Friday night against the Cubs.

Interestingly, the market supported Gausman (Or was it betting against Chicago's Mike Montgomery?) when the SuperBook at Westgate opened Baltimore -105 and closed Buck Showalter's team as a -114 fave.

Baseball is an individual sport disguised as a team sport with the pitcher-batter matchup serving as the epicenter of the confrontation.

The handicap starts and ends with starting pitchers.

MONDAY'S BEST BET.....Play 903-904 Milwaukee Brewers-Pittsburgh Pirates UNDER 9 runs (-105).

Pittsburgh starter Chad Kuhl has made four career starts against Milwaukee with excellent results against current members of the Milwaukee roster (57 plate appearances yielding only eight singles and three doubles for a batting average of .212 and a slugging percentage of .269).

Crafty lefty Brent Suter of Milwaukee is a competitive sort with a solid mental make-up (Harvard grad) to back up his modest physical game.

Most of Suter's appearances this season have come in the role of a reliever, however he's filling in as a starter until pitchers Chase Anderson and Junior Guerra get healthy and ownership recruits a frontline starter before the trade deadline.

Suter in his last two starts has recorded 13 strikeouts against only two walks and he's surrendered only one home run in more than 27 innings this season.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Default Re: My Monday blog

I've been meaning to to see the Railcats park. It looks great from the toll road. Are you going to South Bend to see the SB Cubs? If so, shoot me a PM.

Sounds like you are having a great Summer so far.....enjoy your vacation.....sorry to inform you that my travel plans changed and that I won't be leaving Thailand until August 6th...I really thought that this would be the year to meet up with the Chicago guys...hopefully I get to Vegas before the end of football season....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

John, go see where Tony "The Ant"(Spilotro) was buried. Northwest Indiana cornfield.

Welcome to our beautiful city!

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    I've been meaning to to see the Railcats park. It looks great from the toll road. Are you going to South Bend to see the SB Cubs? If so, shoot me a PM.

No plans to see the South Bend Cubs but I did visit Notre Dame Stadium last year and the stadium tour was outstanding.

Got a chance to walk on the field, see the locker room and most importantly slap the sign which reads, "Play like a champion today."

FW, if you're in the neighborhood of Arlington Park in early August, I'd love to meet you at EOG's Day at the Races.

If not, I'll be in Chicago over the next three weeks so let's make plans to break bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Sounds like you are having a great Summer so far.....enjoy your vacation.....sorry to inform you that my travel plans changed and that I won't be leaving Thailand until August 6th...I really thought that this would be the year to meet up with the Chicago guys...hopefully I get to Vegas before the end of football season....

Next time, Arturo.

I had a place saved for you at my sister's house.

Aren't I generous with my sister's offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by newport2 View Post
    John, go see where Tony "The Ant"(Spilotro) was buried. Northwest Indiana cornfield.

My sister is something of a mob historian.

Tony Spilotro was 48 at the time of his death.

The northwest Indiana cornfield is located in Enos, Indiana and the gravesite is about 50 yards south of the eastbound lanes of Newton County`s County Road 100 North and can be reached by a motorist driving east from Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_Dorothy View Post

Chicago is a great summer city.

Chi_Dorothy, if you're available in early August, please join us at Arlington Park for EOG's Third Annual Day at the Races.

ChiTownJoe, RichSox24, Bigrunner and Brayden11 among others are scheduled to attend.

JK. Let me know what dates your available to come up to Miller Park. I'll get tickets and we could tailgate prior to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayden11 View Post
    JK. Let me know what dates your available to come up to Miller Park. I'll get tickets and we could tailgate prior to the game.
    Count me in.

Thanks Brayden11.

Do you have any days your thinking about going? I know they're out of town until the 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayden11 View Post
    Do you have any days your thinking about going? I know they're out of town until the 28th.

Not sure about your work schedule.

Check your PMs.

EOG Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_Dorothy View Post
    Yes, JK welcome back to your home town. Don't forget your bullet proof vest.

EOG Member

Quote Originally Posted by newport2 View Post
    Don't forget he was buried along with his brother.

EOG Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    My sister is something of a mob historian.

Tony Spilotro was 48 at the time of his death.

The northwest Indiana cornfield is located in Enos, Indiana and the gravesite is about 50 yards south of the eastbound lanes of Newton County`s County Road 100 North and can be reached by a motorist driving east from Illinois.
    Wow. Those precise directions are quite impressive. i should meet your sister. i also am quite a fan of the history of the chicago mob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    Yes, JK welcome back to your home town. Don't forget your bullet proof vest.

I don't think he is staying in his hometown of Calumet City this trip.

I think he is safe without the bullet proof vest as well..

only 8 people with the skin color that John and I share have been murdered in the city of almost 3 million people this year

Headed to Guaranteed Rate Field tonight to watch Clayton Kershaw pitch in the role of a -300 road favorite.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Headed to Guaranteed Rate Field tonight to watch Clayton Kershaw pitch in the role of a -300 road favorite.
    Are you meeting Brock there? He's going also.