Saratoga 2017
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saratoga 2017

Default Saratoga 2017

The 40-day meet gets underway this Friday, July 21.

Chad Brown won the Saratoga training title last year with 40 wins and Jose Ortiz was the top jock with 65 victories.

Arrogate won the 147th running of the Travers Stakes last season setting a stakes and track record (1:59.36) for a mile-and-a-quarter.

Saratoga's attendance last season exceeded 1.1 million fans with an all-sources handle of more than $647 million for the meet.

Default Re: Saratoga 2017

Posted this in the LoDuca thread. Probably better to post it here:

Hushion retired on Sunday. Might be profitable following whoever picks up his Broman, Barry K. Schwartz, and Black Swan Stable starters.

Hope everyone has a huge meet!

Saratoga can't get here fast enough. Best meet in the country, rather handily.

At one time, not long ago, Del Mar was in the conversation with Saratoga as the best meet in the country.

Not anymore.

Saratoga will present 69 stakes races worth more than $18 million versus Del Mar's 41 stakes races worth a combined $7.3 million.

Here's hoping the weather cooperates this year at the Spa.

Last season, 30 races were taken off the turf compared to only 10 races taken off the turf in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    At one time, not long ago, Del Mar was in the conversation with Saratoga as the best meet in the country.

Not anymore.
    I remember playing on a Monday with Saratoga early and Del Mar late. They both had quality, large fields. Those days are in the rear view mirror.
    Last edited by Pigpen; 07-17-17 at 10:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Ill take DEL MAR ALL DAY LONG. Going on the 25th at a trackside table. Women, women and more women all dressed up for the OSCARS!!!

I meant I'm going on the 28th. Trackside table at the finish line. Table alone cost $100 but we are talking about DEL MAR and is worth it just checking out the women. 1st race starts at 4pm. love it

The ladies at Del Mar trump the ladies at Saratoga.

Understood.

And the weather advantage goes to Del Mar too.

But those are the only two edges for Del Mar.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Ill take DEL MAR ALL DAY LONG. Going on the 25th at a trackside table. Women, women and more women all dressed up for the OSCARS!!!
    No doubt the scenery is better at Del Mar. If we are talking quality racing and betting opportunities, its Saratoga hands down.

Saratoga and KEE then everything else
    Looking at my combined handle for SAR + DMR it would be 95% DMR 5% SAR

Here's hoping the weather cooperates this year at the Spa.

Last season, 30 races were taken off the turf compared to only 10 races taken off the turf in 2015.
    Its been rainy as hell here this spring/summer. I'll take the over 30 races taken off the turf this year and also over 1.5 mid card cancellations. I'm taking serious storms around here lately.

Still, should be another awesome meet. My life is as busy as ever, so no way i'll be able to follow as close as I'd like, but oh well.. Best of luck to all degen eog'ers!

Just an Old Dawg, with New Tricks Junkyarddog47's Avatar

I like the New York tracks because the New York bettors have no clue. I mean when you have an even money favorite and an 8.5 second choice in a field of 7 and they finish one-two and the Exacta pays $9.00 for a dollar wager, something is really wrong with the mentality of the bettors.

Another problem in California is the lack of competition. This is because the stupid State taxes property so high that only a few trainers can afford to stable a large number of horses. 6 trainers have the majority of the horses running in the west coast, and they do their best to make sure they do not have to send more than one entry into a race unless it is a steaks race. Another problem is the Jockey Colony. 6 Jockeys earned in excess of 1 million dollars in the latest Santa Anita meet. Five of them had 150 mounts or more. Mike Smith had 36. What does that tell you? Small fields. Opening Day at Del Mar features 2 races with 8 horse fields and two races with 7 horses or less. 10 races all together. The following day is worse, with the same number of 8 and 7 horse fields but only 8 races going off. For the most part, Del Mar has gone to a 10 horse full field instead of the 12 horse full field they used to have.
    "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." George Patton. I win because I make the other dumb bastard lose. In gambling and in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog47 View Post
    I like the New York tracks because the New York bettors have no clue. I mean when you have an even money favorite and an 8.5 second choice in a field of 7 and they finish one-two and the Exacta pays $9.00 for a dollar wager, something is really wrong with the mentality of the bettors.

Another problem in California is the lack of competition. This is because the stupid State taxes property so high that only a few trainers can afford to stable a large number of horses. 6 trainers have the majority of the horses running in the west coast, and they do their best to make sure they do not have to send more than one entry into a race unless it is a steaks race. Another problem is the Jockey Colony. 6 Jockeys earned in excess of 1 million dollars in the latest Santa Anita meet. Five of them had 150 mounts or more. Mike Smith had 36. What does that tell you? Small fields. Opening Day at Del Mar features 2 races with 8 horse fields and two races with 7 horses or less. 10 races all together. The following day is worse, with the same number of 8 and 7 horse fields but only 8 races going off. For the most part, Del Mar has gone to a 10 horse full field instead of the 12 horse full field they used to have.
    Small fields a problem all over. Just look at what Illinois has become.

Heading to Fairmount Park later this month.

No slot revenue is a killer for Illinois racing.

You never have to bring a jacket or umbrella to Del Mar. 80 and sunny all year round. Turf races run as scheduled

EOG Dedicated

Theres nothing like Saratoga

Heading to Fairmount Park later this month.

No slot revenue is a killer for Illinois racing.
    Purses at levels around 1987. No wonder owners and trainers have pulled out of Illinois.

last year dirt races

top FR 1
    ROI $1.21/1.00

will that continue

Fairmount presented 232 racing days in 1997.

Twenty years later, Fairmount will race 90 days.

Current schedule is Tuesday afternoons and Saturday nights.

Fairmount presented 232 racing days in 1997.

Twenty years later, Fairmount will race 90 days.

Current schedule is Tuesday afternoons and Saturday nights.
    Just too many tracks racing. Indiana Grand also helped really drive a nail into Illinois racing.

I took the TVG offer. Wager 10K, get 2K back. I thought it would be easy to make a few bucks. I'm just not sure the best way to rollover that amount to maximize value. I wish I did it before the Songbird race. No show wagers however. Any suggestions?

find 4/5 horse races at del mar and eliminate the horse that cant possibly run in the exacta
    and dutch bet the other exacta combo's monitoring the will pays and pop arrogate in the
    place pool this weekend if they get more than 2 horses to run against him, cali racing = jokeshop

Thanks that's pretty much the route I had in mind.

Keep your eye on the 2yo colt Tap Daddy (Asmussen), entered Saturday. While stabled in Kentucky, he worked heads-up 4 times in a row Reride, who came out of those drills to win by 6 lengths @ Churchill Downs.

A general horse racing question from a guy who knows absolutely ZERO about horse racing:

There's much gnashing of teeth on this forum (and in the industry in general) about what's perceived to be the decline of the sport.

Might the answer be to just make an executive decision now to close some of the underperforming tracks? Getting rid of the weak links might allow the survivors to return to their "glory days" of more racing and fuller fields.

I realize that a lot of the tracks struggling today are steeped in tradition and such a move would be extremely unpopular in some quarters.

Just curious.

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

horse racing as an industry has some ebbs and flows but its not dying . dont listen to that hype fake news

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...tion-saratoga/

Some of those " underperforming " tracks could be tied to slot palaces and the only reason there is racing there is to get the slot license.

I disagree, the game is dying. It's slowly circling the drain.

its not and its growing world wide as well. social media on internet has helped obvioulsy. A great sport with a long future

Not in this country.
    The game wont sustain itself with boutique meets and "event" days.
    Wait thill this generation of players dies off and see what is left.

Quote Originally Posted by blueline View Post
    Not in this country.
    The game wont sustain itself with boutique meets and "event" days.
    Wait thill this generation of players dies off and see what is left.
    the nfl is in more trouble in 30 years than horse racing.

Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    A general horse racing question from a guy who knows absolutely ZERO about horse racing:

There's much gnashing of teeth on this forum (and in the industry in general) about what's perceived to be the decline of the sport.

Might the answer be to just make an executive decision now to close some of the underperforming tracks? Getting rid of the weak links might allow the survivors to return to their "glory days" of more racing and fuller fields.

I realize that a lot of the tracks struggling today are steeped in tradition and such a move would be extremely unpopular in some quarters.

Just curious.
    all those tracks just need to hold on a little longer and they will be getting a boost, as sports gambling
    becomes legal nationwide, racetracks will be the natural first outlet for shops to be open and available
    to take the action thus patrons will frequent and stay to watch games and also will not resist the
    opportunity to wager on races as well. everything is coming together and the landscape is about to
    change forever...

Quote Originally Posted by raininthrees View Post
    all those tracks just need to hold on a little longer and they will be getting a boost, as sports gambling
    becomes legal nationwide, racetracks will be the natural first outlet for shops to be open and available
    to take the action thus patrons will frequent and stay to watch games and also will not resist the
    opportunity to wager on races as well. everything is coming together and the landscape is about to
    change forever...
    Very good point, threes...

Let's hope this upcoming SCOTUS decision goes our way.

Initially they thought the same thing about the slot palaces, the slot players would be unable to resist betting the racing.