The Cubs are getting it together
Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 348

Thread: The Cubs are getting it together

  1. #1

    Default The Cubs are getting it together

    unlikely

    they are currently chowing down the meek white sox who are using a bill veeck type
    "invite a fan to toss a relief inning" promotion since trading their entire bullpen.

    just because a team comes out of the gate after the all star break with a 10-2 record versus
    basement dwellers(whitesox, braves, orioles) with a combined record of 185-215 doesn't move me
    in any way to change an opinion that they are any where close to contending for anything.

    the next 12 out of 15 games are against (arizona, milwaukee, washington) with a west coast
    trip in the cards, so let's check back then to see how they survived.

    last 10 of 13 in september will be on the road versus legitimate playoff contenders

    the race is on

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    You're on record, 3's.

    Rumor has it, the Cubs are talking to the Tigers about acquiring Justin Verlander.

    The Cubs don't trust Lackey for obvious reasons and they must be worried about the health of Kyle Hendricks.

    Jake Arrieta said after last night's win over the White Sox that the Cubs will hold first place in the NL Central the rest of the season.

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Jake should get tested again....

    Cubs beating up on the staffs of Atlanta, White Sox, and the Orioles does not impress me...

    Wins are nice but are just fake wins as Trump would say...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

  4. #4
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Nov 30, 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,239

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    if kershaw comes back healthy dodgers > cubs when it counts.... the dodgers will give the cubs pitching fits with their high walk rate and better defense with better def eff.
    Cubs picked up a quality starter in Quintana but the rest of staff gives up walks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Lead-off man and bullpen help is wish list

  6. #6
    Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location
    Bridgman, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    12,433

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Jake should get tested again....

    Cubs beating up on the staffs of Atlanta, White Sox, and the Orioles does not impress me...

    Wins are nice but are just fake wins as Trump would say...
    True but they weren't beating up on the bad teams before the break, so it's a start.

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    After facing Cubs, Balt won 4 straight, and ATL split 4 games with the Dodgers. They weren't beating up a AAA like the Philllies. Pale hose are another story, fire sale mode.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Not who you play. It's when you play them. Nats all beat up. Strasburg on the DL. Brewers sinking fast. Cub express rolling. Arizona looks good with the addition of Martinez.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    There was a number of good opportunities to play against the Cubs in the first half. But sorry, that train has left the building. The one's fading them now are the people who live their life in the rear view mirror.

  10. #10
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by raininthrees View Post
    unlikely

    they are currently chowing down the meek white sox who are using a bill veeck type
    "invite a fan to toss a relief inning" promotion since trading their entire bullpen.

    just because a team comes out of the gate after the all star break with a 10-2 record versus
    basement dwellers(whitesox, braves, orioles) with a combined record of 185-215 doesn't move me
    in any way to change an opinion that they are any where close to contending for anything.

    the next 12 out of 15 games are against (arizona, milwaukee, washington) with a west coast
    trip in the cards, so let's check back then to see how they survived.

    last 10 of 13 in september will be on the road versus legitimate playoff contenders

    the race is on
    Despite being thought out, this is still one of the dumber posts in EOG history.

    Orioles were 27-17 at home coming into the Cubs series and the Braves were the second hottest team in the league behind the Dodgers when the Cubs slapped them around.

    Simple facts ruin the entire point.

    Brewers had a slim chance when they got up 5.5. After today, they will likely be 1.5 games back. Blew 7 games in the standings in a couple weeks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Javy spins Cub news more than Fox News spins theirs....whatever his views on the Cubs it is never negative no matter how good or bad they are playing...the Cub front office never makes mistakes, their manager pushes all the right buttons, and the players always have the highest batting averages...and their starting pitching and relief pitching are always top shelf...just ask Javy...

    And never a good word about any team in the Central Division....how can the Cubs not lead their division by ten games?? What a mystery...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownJoe View Post
    After facing Cubs, Balt won 4 straight, and ATL split 4 games with the Dodgers. They weren't beating up a AAA like the Philllies. Pale hose are another story, fire sale mode.
    Hey pal....watch how you talk about my AAA team the Phillies...it took the Cubs over a hundred years to get good and compete...Phils have been there and done that....

    Hit me straight....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

  13. #13

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post

    And never a good word about any team in the Central Division....how can the Cubs not lead their division by ten games?? What a mystery...
    The NL Central will be the best division in MLB next year. The Cubs will still be loaded, but the Pirates don't figure to lose Marte for 81 games, or have their second best starter lose a month to cancer. McCutcheon playing like the old McCutcheon the past 2 months. Josh Bell legit power threat and Rivero a legit closer. Then St. Louis: you have a couple no names in DeJong (.590 SP) and Pham (.935 OPS) terrorizing NL pitching, in addition to Carpenter, Gyorko, Diaz, Fowler and Molina. Leake and Wacha are their 4th and 5th starters; that's pretty good when you compare them to the rest of the 4s and 5s in MLB. Brewers? Yes they are fading but clearly made a step forward this year. The Brewers are 7th in runs in MLB and 8th in OPS, so the position players are young and getting better. The Reds will likely struggle but they should still be able to put up quite a few runs.

    An interesting prop would be NL Central wins vs AL East wins. I think if was just top 4 teams in each division, the NL Central would win. The Reds will pull them down a bit, but teams like the Jays and Orioles appear to be on the downside.

  14. #14
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    What is there bad to say about the Cubs right now, Viejo?

    I've been positive on the Cubs since 2015, and they've won the most games in baseball since 2015. Lol.

    You've been positive on the Phillies and they're a fucking dumpster fire. So I'll give you a hint as to who is more of a homer between the two of us, it's not me...

  15. #15
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    7,311

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    [QUOTE=JavyBaez9;4910242]What is there bad to say about the Cubs right now, Viejo?

    I've been positive on the Cubs since 2015, and they've won the most games in baseball since 2015. Lol.

    You've been positive on the Phillies and they're a fucking dumpster fire. So I'll give you a hint as to who is more of a homer between the two of us, it's not me...[/QUOTE]

    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

  16. #16
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Where's Ruca to tell us how he's 2-0 fading the Cubs in the second half, bc he just had a hunch on those other 10 games? Kane will check in again to tell him good job.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Despite being thought out, this is still one of the dumber posts in EOG history.

    Orioles were 27-17 at home coming into the Cubs series and the Braves were the second hottest team in the league behind the Dodgers when the Cubs slapped them around.

    Simple facts ruin the entire point.

    Brewers had a slim chance when they got up 5.5. After today, they will likely be 1.5 games back. Blew 7 games in the standings in a couple weeks.
    Braves second hottest team in the league?

    Put your crackpipe down jewboy. The Cubs are a little league team and don't stand a chance of getting past the dodgers/nats, if they even make the playoffs at all

  18. #18
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees2017 View Post
    Braves second hottest team in the league?

    Put your crackpipe down jewboy. The Cubs are a little league team and don't stand a chance of getting past the dodgers/nats, if they even make the playoffs at all
    Fangraphs says around 13 percent to win the World Series for the Cubs and around 8 for the Nationals.

    Go figure. You're forgetting the *not a chance in hell* deduction for having Dusty Baker

  19. #19
    www.gabewins.com Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 20, 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles California
    Posts
    6,467

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Trade deadline coming soon.

    Cubs will be fine. Brewers are a fraud.

  20. #20
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Cubs better not trade for Verlander.

  21. #21
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Nov 30, 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,239

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Fangraphs says around 13 percent to win the World Series for the Cubs and around 8 for the Nationals.

    Go figure. You're forgetting the *not a chance in hell* deduction for having Dusty Baker

    baseball prospectus has it cubs 7.1% vs nationals 11 % ? do we call it even?

  22. #22
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    baseball prospectus has it cubs 7.1% vs nationals 11 % ? do we call it even?
    In either event, the notion the Cubs are outclassed by the Nationals is very silly.

    And the Cubs are 17-6 vs lefties. Dodgers going to steam roll the Cubs with maybe 4 lefties in the playoff rotation.

    Not very good capping.

  23. #23

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    If the Cubs don't win the world series again this year, last year's fluke becomes apparent.

    Cubs were supposed to be better this year

  24. #24
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    This isn't the NBA, playoffs are random little chloe.

  25. #25

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    So much potential for this Cubs unit yet they seem to be on a path created by Derrick Rose and Jay Cutler. something in the air that just creates losers out of Chicagonians

  26. #26
    Eventus stultorum magister NowshesmyRuca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15, 2008
    Location
    Aspen, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    9,814

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by choslamshe View Post
    So much potential for this Cubs unit yet they seem to be on a path created by Derrick Rose and Jay Cutler. something in the air that just creates losers out of Chicagonians
    I agree I remember telling Chicago fans that the Cutler trade was a raping by the Broncos. They were sooooo giddy to finally get their "franchise QB"
    Clowns make me laugh! :+textinb3

  27. #27
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Nov 30, 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,239

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    In either event, the notion the Cubs are outclassed by the Nationals is very silly.

    And the Cubs are 17-6 vs lefties. Dodgers going to steam roll the Cubs with maybe 4 lefties in the playoff rotation.

    Not very good capping.




    17-6 random vs lefties

  28. #28
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by NowshesmyRuca View Post
    I agree I remember telling Chicago fans that the Cutler trade was a raping by the Broncos. They were sooooo giddy to finally get their "franchise QB"
    It's a league dominated by passing. Why wouldn't you want to get a franchise QB?

  29. #29
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Nov 30, 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,239

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    cubs getting smart....happ not in lineup

  30. #30

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball Zealot View Post
    Trade deadline coming soon.

    Cubs will be fine. Brewers are a fraud.
    Pay attention baseball gamblers! Those are some wise-words-right-there!

  31. #31
    Eventus stultorum magister NowshesmyRuca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15, 2008
    Location
    Aspen, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    9,814

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    cubs getting smart....happ not in lineup
    They have one the worst hitters in the league as their DH
    Clowns make me laugh! :+textinb3

  32. #32
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Quote Originally Posted by NowshesmyRuca View Post
    They have one the worst hitters in the league as their DH
    The Cubs traded for Carlos Gonzalez and put him at DH? Oh wait, that was the guy who you thought was going to come off the bench and save your Rockies bet. , with his .642 OPS with his home games at Coors Field

  33. #33
    Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 24, 2014
    Posts
    18,023

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Carlos Gonzalez has a .536 OPS on the road in 157 at bats.

    Are the Rockies inept? How can they not see this guy is utterly clueless at the plate?

  34. #34
    Eventus stultorum magister NowshesmyRuca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15, 2008
    Location
    Aspen, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    9,814

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Schwarber is a great DH...no really
    Clowns make me laugh! :+textinb3

  35. #35
    Eventus stultorum magister NowshesmyRuca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 15, 2008
    Location
    Aspen, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    9,814

    Default Re: The Cubs are Getting it Together

    Not really a big Cargo fan but

    SUMMARY

    Career


    WAR

    22.9

    AB

    4254

    R

    697

    H

    1220

    BA

    .287


    HR

    207

    RBI

    680

    SB

    115


    OBP

    .344

    SLG

    .508

    OPS

    .852

    OPS+

    11

    Clowns make me laugh! :+textinb3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •