Twenty softball thoughts about college football - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty softball thoughts about college football

EOG Addicted

Default Re: Twenty softball thoughts about college football

Quote Originally Posted by Drnkyourmlkshk View Post
    Discuss, argue and be excited again.
    1. Washington and Wisconsin could lose their qb in the 1st game of the season for the year and still stumble to 10 wins. The scheduling in CFB should be made the summer of the upcoming season. Washington's OOC schedule for a playoff team is absurd and they skip USC this year. They have a very real chance to go 12-0 and face just one great challenge at Stanford.
    Wisconsin skips osu, Michigan and they aren't a good team but might escape being viewed as such all season thanks to a lack of opposition.

2. The b12 is a premier league this season. The ACC is rebuilding after losing every qb and most teams losing a coordinator or two. The SEC is too top heavy and Mississippi tarnishing their reputation. The big 10 has 3 teams who belong in the Mac. I'll get to them.

3. Don't buy the hype. Every yr I read Phil Steele, athlon, the gold sheet I'm a feind. However this yr more than ever I find myself in disbelief. It's impossible for these guys to see the big picture. They want sales of mags and subscriptions solely.
    Let's just take Michigan and replace that program with KSU. Both have legends coaching.

Do you know what the largest means of regression for a team is? And do you know who points this out every opportunity? It's secondary and WR inexperience. It's very simple and has been studied and discussed add nauseum. Do you know who the youngest team in the power 5 is? Michigan. Do you know how many return starters they have at db and WR combined? That'd be a big fat 0, none and all Fr. Wrs combined with a 3 man qb rotation spring and fall... Michigan plays in the awful big 10 but I expect 8-4 no one has them losing but 2 games? How?! Which one is it experience is everything or not at all? KSU has same dilemma in 14 and was replacing their 4 yr starter. They played identical strength of schedule. Their preseason ranking #59.
    Be careful my friends.

4. Oregon made a incredible hire and he kicked the all American WR off the team over a misdemeanor DUI. Which Whittingham of Utah grabbed like a hot towel on a airplane. Taggert had a reputation at USF of no tolerance for anything and kicked his entire OL off the team in yr. 1 and they went 0-12. I think he will end up regretting this. I'm not the moral police and have no dog in the fight but he doesnt win 8 with this team and contend for a national championship in 18 and continues to kick players off the team for misdemeanors he will be back in the AAc like Strong.

5. At some point Illinois and Rutgers especially have to get out of the b10. They cannot compete. Purdue is broke but they made a unreal hire of Brohm and there is hope. Ash can recruit where lovie cannot. Regardless these are MAC teams currently. Rutgers is transfer U but as long as they play teams looking to drown them by 68 points they will suffer in both recruiting and in performance. Rutgers got a 4* fr but ash can't play him due to he needs results now. He will start Bolin from Louisville and take on 7 p5 transfers to stay relevant each yr. How does your team grow? It doesn't it wins 4 games for life.
    Lovie was awful hire. He doesn't understand modern college football.

6. The ACC lost all of its qbs!
    Miami, va tech, UNC, Clemson, Ga tech, Pitt. I've said 2 yrs now that the Acc has the best coaches in college football hands down. We will find out in quick order.

7. App st. Has a qb who is now 31-7 as a starting qb and this mid major is begging for power 5 teams to play them. At what point do you see a sunbelt team with this much talent and a coach who has no interest in the bigger job..let them into a struggling AAc or MWC? They beat their average SBC opponent by 25.5 ppg and played mercy 2nd halts. If it's all about money, which we know it is. Why not let non power 5s choose where they want to go.
    I don't like what i see at Idaho and nm st and the sbc in general who makes great money and gets rid of teams.

8. I'm tired of hearing about NFL talent. As a college football fan and a casual bettor and observer of the NFL I'm so tired of them correlating that to peak interest. Josh Rosen of UCLA isn't a NFL qb yet and I could argue he hasn't even been a college football qb yet!

9. Texas tech has to really rethink their strategy. Kingsbury is gone. He will lose his 6 or 7 shootouts and still has no ability to run a D and will fire his 4 Coor on that side of the ball before long who apparently is to blame for not being able to coach 2* jucos who are expected to hold offenses under 52 whole you try to score 53 with reckless abandon. However ttu is in serious trouble. Leach out athleted and schemed his competition. With the advancement of technology only the 1st equation is going to work most of the time. Tech is not recruiting well and the b12 took their gameplay and are now running circles around them with it.

10. Poor Charlie Strong. His longhorns will field 18 return starters and strong had 3 top 10 recruiting classes in 4 seasons. Only saban was better. Herman inherits arguably the most talented team in the nation based off just recruiting stars.. How will Herman fare? Well he started a qb competition to fit his run qb system and has benched 5* Buechelle twice in practice last week. My guess? Not great. I am not a believer in Herman. He plays to the level of his competition and is the only HC I can remember who got this big of a promotion after falling on his face the year prior. He beats OU won't matter what else happens in yr. 1 oh wait strong did that too.

11. I suspect Lane Kiffin is dirty. Who doesn't? How do you get 4 and 5* jucos to Fau over Alabama, s. Carolina and Texas? Oh it's his system, his insistence of playing time. Hogwash. If he's clean so be it but I've been around awhile now and 1st yr hc acquiring elite talent and choosing c-usa over sec is a complete first for me.

12. No HC has more to prove to me in the nation than PJ Fleck. Fleck has made me a lot of money in the past 3 years but I am not a believer in him personally. He had talent that was unmatched by the rest of the Mac. That programs drop off won't be subtle I'm afraid. By 2020 see wmu 2014.
    I don't think he has the same talent at Minn and they expect 9 wins and major bowl runs.

13. Iowa stole Nevadas only proven asset in RB James butler. Iowa has no qb in place and they will be more iowa than ever before lol.

14. Staying in the b10. Nebraska should put Riley out of his misery. He got Tenner Lee from Tulane who was terrible, one of the worst 5 qbs in the nation in 2015. He will go pass 1st with no proven qbs and if this is a smashing success they actually play a horrible schedule and will win 8 games.. just in time for a bowl game announcement for their new head coach Scott Frost of Ucf.

15. LsU/BYU is the game to watch week 1 if you are wondering why someone would lock themselves in the office for a summer. Both teams change schemes on offense and byu changes it's defense.
    LSu goes warp speed with 5* athletes and BYU goes all pass happy and spread. BYU also goes gambling on D playing a 335 and looking for turnovers in exchange for a big play here or there. Exciting stuff.

16. Michigan st. Is lost. And it saddens me. Something very significant has happened. The best head coach for a long while has lost interest. He didn't recruit well, they started spring camp in disarray. I think Narduzzi and him were a team and he's not much of a solo act at his age. Something tells me he still wins enough close games to make life fun but the program is in bad shape for coming years if he doesn't find his step soon.

17. Terry Bowden Is taking your dysfunctional athletes. If you have kids with felonies or flunk out Akron will gladly take them. I expect Akron (egh Miami FL, WVU, UCLA, Rutgers and marshall) to have a better athlete with more headaches than most this yr.

18. Air force is the 1st school that wasn't in yr one in 10 years that will start game 1 with zero defensive experience! Not one starter on their roster has started a game on defense for the falcons.

19. Syracuse will be great in 2018. They'll field 18 return starters all sophomore and juniors. That's how you build a program. I wish more schools would do what babers did play the kids let am fail yr 1.

20. Bad coaches will kill you. Good coaches will save you. A good coach is good at what he does. A great coach is good at everything he does. Kyle whittingham is the man. He has exceeded his rsw every single yr he has been a head coach. He has recruited exceptionally well but he has taught better. However what makes him special is he does what the opposition doesn't. When the entire p12 went spread he went power run and clock management. In 2017 he will takes the keys to the car he's been driving and let someone else take it for a ride.
    Whittingham will let eastern Washington OC run his spread rpo that sees the ball in the air around 70% of the time. Why?
    Colorado won using his offense, Stanford has gone power for a few years now, Oregon st is doing well. He has no Dbs in 17 lost his entire secondary to the NFL or grad. Something tells me he just wants to have fun. Don't we all.

Thanks and goodluck.
    1alabama
    2. Ohio st
    3. Fsu
    4. Oklahoma (dropping by the day what a terrible camp for them)
    5. Penn st.
    6. Clemson
    7. USC
    8. Auburn
    9. Washington
    10. Osu

In case I bored you to tears that is the top 10
    130. Ua B
    129. Coastal Carolina
    128. Texas st.
    127. Ulm
    126. Kent st.
    125. Nevada
    124. Buffalo
    123. Sjsu
    122. Utep
    121. GA ST
    120. Uconn

The teams you can find better edges with imo.

Take care
    This is as good as it gets. We all owe you lunch. Thanks !

I don't disagree that he made a great hire in Johns. He made a bad decision to bring his OC with him who only has experience running a spread pass O though imo. He had resources available for better.

It feels like he is playing the long game and I guess my concern is that I don't believe he will find talent to replace what he has now. The DL is green with a inexp. Depth chart. If he can force teams to pass that secondary coupled with the RB talent he repeats as Mac champs. He let's that OC dictate pace and gameplan you have problems. I'm rooting for you and wmu in general.
    Agree that they need to control clock like last year. I think the DL is going to surprise a lot of people. They just got a 4-star DE transfer from Syracuse by the name of Steven Clark. I don't know the whole story but apparently he was medically DQ'ed by Syracuse doctors for some reason involving blood clots, meaning he might be able to play right away. He will be an instant difference maker if that's the case.

If I hear reports from camp that the offense being installed has those ball control elements, I'll be ALL OVER WMU +28 at USC. They may wind up being a great UNDER team too, especially once conference play starts.

Blog Entries

Hype indeed. Harbaugh will drop to 0-3 vs OSU this year and a visit to Columbus next year will more than likely send him to 0-4. OSU kicking his dick in the dirt recruiting wise every year. An anonymous poll of college coaches named him the most overrated college coach. Probably most damning railbird thinks he's great. How much longer before harbaugh suddenly yearns for the NFL? I'll stick to what I said when he was hired and say 0-4 vs OSU will do it.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Harbaugh may be a touch overrated as a in-game coach but everyone has bought in. OSU isn't kicking their ass in recruiting either, they both are kicking Sparty's ass though. Mich did go to Columbus last year and outplay OS for most of that game.

I do enjoy when they beat Mich though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Harbaugh may be a touch overrated as a in-game coach but everyone has bought in. OSU isn't kicking their ass in recruiting either, they both are kicking Sparty's ass though. Mich did go to Columbus last year and outplay OS for most of that game.

I do enjoy when they beat Mich though.
    Kicking their dick in the dirt recruiting is a bit much agreed. But if you start behind a program it's hard to go around them if you're not out recruiting them. His ego is gonna get in the way because he can't get UM around OSU. Harbaugh had 3000 seniors last year against OSU young team and he still didn't get it done. And he was awful in the 4th Q. My prediction stands he's gonna bail sooner than later.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Allright View Post
    Kicking their dick in the dirt recruiting is a bit much agreed. But if you start behind a program it's hard to go around them if you're not out recruiting them. His ego is gonna get in the way because he can't get UM around OSU. Harbaugh had 3000 seniors last year against OSU young team and he still didn't get it done. And he was awful in the 4th Q. My prediction stands he's gonna bail sooner than later.
    But those weren't his guys either. Good question about when he bails. I doubt it'll be for a few years just because he gets anything he wants and also will get the benefit of the doubt at Mich. he does have that quick burnout though.

I'm not certain either team will be the best in the big 10 by the end of the year. I'm extremely big on Franklin who will never forget Michigan scoring a meaningless td up 30 last year.
    Penn st. Was missing 2 OL and all 3 lb' s for that game if I remember. The lions have a ton of talent. Ohio st has a NFL OL and DL but if Psu can make it a track meet Osu has a young secondary.

Harbaugh isn't rated high by anyone other than the press. He recruits terrifically and is a master of keeping himself relevant which in turn keeps Michigan relevant which is a art form. Could you imagine if Harbaugh had Darnold of USC? Which btw he might in freshman Mccaffrey. Helton is the anti Harbaugh. Harbaugh gets his team on sports center for traveling to Europe for practices. He tweets more than Trump who he doesn't like. He's a smart guy.

He's not a great end game manager. Unfortunately for us fans he plays in a conference He doesn't have to be. If you thought He mismanaged the Ohio st game.. watch the FSU bowl game. He panicked when He couldn't stop the run and decided to ditch the clock control.
    He might get killed by the buckeyes this year but I disagree. Next yr he will beat them. Training wheels this yr and next yr he will have a Ferrari in comparison as osu loses 8 to the NFL and they'll trade places on experience charts. This is year 1 of a reload the jump in yr 2 should be significant.

Ref aided win for ohio st, was as bad as it gets

I love this thread,great stuff guys,and 1st time I think Ive agreed with Birdie for a while..officiating in that game was poor on UM.

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    Ref aided win for ohio st, was as bad as it gets
    No argument but should have never gotten to that point. How do you let osu drive the length of the field to kick the fg to get to OT?
    That was on Harbaugh. They definitely got screwed from there.

Anyone have an opinion on UCF this year? Bought season tickets and want to bet them as a home dog if the opportunity arises.

No argument but should have never gotten to that point. How do you let osu drive the length of the field to kick the fg to get to OT?
    That was on Harbaugh. They definitely got screwed from there.
    Harbaugh isn't on the field, how is that on Harbaugh? try being the student instead of the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by rdalert447 View Post
    Anyone have an opinion on UCF this year? Bought season tickets and want to bet them as a home dog if the opportunity arises.
    Trade a lot of defense for better offense started all Fr last yr on offense. Very good team dogs at home to Memphis, Ga tech and yet. Should be a very good team 7 wins after going 0-12 2 yrs ago. Qb is 5'10 170 but has a lot of heart and good skill position players. Have a A.C. LB w one arm. Enjoy

Harbaugh doesn't hate trump, he hated his budget cuts to legal services, his brother John introduced Trump at rallies.

Thanks, Drink.

EOG Dedicated

He's not a great end game manager. Unfortunately for us fans he plays in a conference He doesn't have to be. If you thought He mismanaged the Ohio st game.. watch the FSU bowl game. He panicked when He couldn't stop the run and decided to ditch the clock control.
    I agree.

Many people missed it, but, IMO, Harbaugh's biggest mismanagement was the Michigan State debacle where simple clock management using a few more seconds on each down would have meant not having to put the ball in the punter's hands on 4th down. Would have virtually guaranteed a win.

EOG Dedicated

While we are on the subject, as coach of the 49ers, Harbaugh pulled a beauty with the help of idiot offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

In 2012, at St. Louis, SF up 10-2, late in the 4thQ (less than 4 minutes left), ball on the SF 17 yard line, 3rd and 3, they call a play action fake handoff to Frank Gore and a lengthy pitchout to Ted Ginn, Jr. The result looked like a play they hadn't even practiced. Kaepernick's pitch goes sailing over Ginn's head, and of course, instead of falling on the ball, Ginn tries to pick it up. Stl recovers at the 2 yd line and runs it in for a TD.

Stl wins the game 16-13 in OT.

At least to his credit, Harbaugh says "its on us (the coaches), it was the wrong play to call ... don't blame the players .. too risky a play at that time". Ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Almost Allright View Post
    Hype indeed. Harbaugh will drop to 0-3 vs OSU this year and a visit to Columbus next year will more than likely send him to 0-4. OSU kicking his dick in the dirt recruiting wise every year. An anonymous poll of college coaches named him the most overrated college coach. Probably most damning railbird thinks he's great. How much longer before harbaugh suddenly yearns for the NFL? I'll stick to what I said when he was hired and say 0-4 vs OSU will do it.

Add "kicking his dick in the dirt" to my EOG glossary.

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterUk View Post
    I love this thread,great stuff guys,and 1st time I think Ive agreed with Birdie for a while..officiating in that game was poor on UM.
    I agreed with him twice in this thread. I will have to make sure I didn't mix my meds (just an expression guys). Agreed with the oh st post and the teaser thoughts. Milkshake brings a ton to the site (all good) but I'd be his huckleberry on the +100 2 leg teasers using a total as one of the legs.

Harbaugh made Andrew Luck look like superman, he now a turnover machine Made josh Johnson a1aa qb a 10 yr nfl pro, he is currently on nyg roster. went to superbowl with kapernick and wins it if ref had guts to call pi. He is a qb guru.

Captain Comeback.

I remember Harbaugh was really upset with Wilton Speight after he threw an interception late in the first half of last year's OSU-Michigan game.

Interesting to watch the reactions of coach and QB.

Harbaugh made Andrew Luck look like superman, he now a turnover machine Made josh Johnson a1aa qb a 10 yr nfl pro, he is currently on nyg roster. went to superbowl with kapernick and wins it if ref had guts to call pi. He is a qb guru.
    No disagreement. Qb guru, recruiting master, one of the best at prep work, hires great DC's.
    Special teams and end game only 2 flaws. He also has some affliction to running the ball when a team is bad vs. The run and good vs the pass. There are worst traits. I'm very interested if he keeps his current OC at the end of the yr or if he tries to keep up with the obvious upgrade in Wilson at OSU.

Any thoughts on Ohio State v Indiana, Drink?

Will Kevin Wilson try to run up the score or put up a big number against the school that fired him?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Any thoughts on Ohio State v Indiana, Drink?

Will Kevin Wilson try to run up the score or put up a big number against the school that fired him?
    If you find out the name of the Indiana RB after 3 straight Rbs leaving for the NFL early. Also a downgrade in OL after losing their AA LT and AC guard.
    You can beat OSU if you can get vertical and get the pass off. I loathe the Indiana QB name escapes me Diamiante? (On light rail on way home from dinner downtown) but he has 2 gifted NFL Wr's. Indiana is sound on D (crazy I know) I like the points a little but not crazy about it. I think you're playing with fire betting against OSU OL and DL early in the season.

Richard Lagow is IU's quarterback.

The 6-6 redshirt senior finished the season with the second-most passing yards in the Big Ten, tallying 3,362 in his first fall at the the FBS level. But he also threw 17 interceptions, including five in one game, giving way to an offseason in which Lagow has repeatedly brought up his focus on trimming turnovers.

in addition to being an asshole, Harbaugh is an average coach who had QB luck in his coaching stops. I could not possibly disagree with railbirds post more.

his end game vs FSU was no fluke Harbaugh has no idea how to manage in game. I saw the same thing at 49ers. Just blank stares knowing he should maybe do something but no idea what it is. its comical

but recruits like him, they dont know better. but if he recruits well enough, he can look like a good coach. I really doubt he has any idea how to run a program.

as raider quality control he helped gannon to superbowl. sandiego torreros were in the gutter, he went 21-1 with them. ty Willingham had Stanford 1-11, jim beat usc as 40 dog, and then won orange bowl 2yr later. Mike Singleton had 49ers in 32 hole, jim took them to superbowl and 3 nfc championships, they are back in 30ish hole since he left. He has turned around the mess brady hoke left at mich. there is no better coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ComptrBob View Post
    While we are on the subject, as coach of the 49ers, Harbaugh pulled a beauty with the help of idiot offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

In 2012, at St. Louis, SF up 10-2, late in the 4thQ (less than 4 minutes left), ball on the SF 17 yard line, 3rd and 3, they call a play action fake handoff to Frank Gore and a lengthy pitchout to Ted Ginn, Jr. The result looked like a play they hadn't even practiced. Kaepernick's pitch goes sailing over Ginn's head, and of course, instead of falling on the ball, Ginn tries to pick it up. Stl recovers at the 2 yd line and runs it in for a TD.

Stl wins the game 16-13 in OT.

At least to his credit, Harbaugh says "its on us (the coaches), it was the wrong play to call ... don't blame the players .. too risky a play at that time". Ya think?
    wasn't jim fault, kap cant make a pitch, he made plenty successful pitches at Nevada.

So funny how those who never coached a game in their life are so critical. Such experts from the couch. Not that you have to coach to be critical. But so funny that those who are critical have it all figured out. Never even coached a pop warner game. Never had to call a play with a play clock. Under the gun.

Hilarious..

as raider quality control he helped gannon to superbowl. sandiego torreros were in the gutter, he went 21-1 with them. ty Willingham had Stanford 1-11, jim beat usc as 40 dog, and then won orange bowl 2yr later. Mike Singleton had 49ers in 32 hole, jim took them to superbowl and 3 nfc championships, they are back in 30ish hole since he left. He has turned around the mess brady hoke left at mich. there is no better coach.
    Harbaugh is awesome. A dickhead. But a fantastic coach. No doubt.

isn't a dickhead, he just likes to poke the bee hive and is very creative. I like it when he was recruiting the kid and ended up as a chain gain volunteer at his game. Like the satellite camps in Fla, like that the one where he ended up doing a backyard bbq and spent the night at another recruits house and was played catch with a nerf ball for an hour with his 12 yr old little brother

like it when he comes up with t formation and stacked I 1940s formations.