Twenty softball thoughts about college football
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty softball thoughts about college football

Default Twenty softball thoughts about college football

Discuss, argue and be excited again.
    1. Washington and Wisconsin could lose their qb in the 1st game of the season for the year and still stumble to 10 wins. The scheduling in CFB should be made the summer of the upcoming season. Washington's OOC schedule for a playoff team is absurd and they skip USC this year. They have a very real chance to go 12-0 and face just one great challenge at Stanford.
    Wisconsin skips osu, Michigan and they aren't a good team but might escape being viewed as such all season thanks to a lack of opposition.

2. The b12 is a premier league this season. The ACC is rebuilding after losing every qb and most teams losing a coordinator or two. The SEC is too top heavy and Mississippi tarnishing their reputation. The big 10 has 3 teams who belong in the Mac. I'll get to them.

3. Don't buy the hype. Every yr I read Phil Steele, athlon, the gold sheet I'm a feind. However this yr more than ever I find myself in disbelief. It's impossible for these guys to see the big picture. They want sales of mags and subscriptions solely.
    Let's just take Michigan and replace that program with KSU. Both have legends coaching.

Do you know what the largest means of regression for a team is? And do you know who points this out every opportunity? It's secondary and WR inexperience. It's very simple and has been studied and discussed add nauseum. Do you know who the youngest team in the power 5 is? Michigan. Do you know how many return starters they have at db and WR combined? That'd be a big fat 0, none and all Fr. Wrs combined with a 3 man qb rotation spring and fall... Michigan plays in the awful big 10 but I expect 8-4 no one has them losing but 2 games? How?! Which one is it experience is everything or not at all? KSU has same dilemma in 14 and was replacing their 4 yr starter. They played identical strength of schedule. Their preseason ranking #59.
    Be careful my friends.

4. Oregon made a incredible hire and he kicked the all American WR off the team over a misdemeanor DUI. Which Whittingham of Utah grabbed like a hot towel on a airplane. Taggert had a reputation at USF of no tolerance for anything and kicked his entire OL off the team in yr. 1 and they went 0-12. I think he will end up regretting this. I'm not the moral police and have no dog in the fight but he doesnt win 8 with this team and contend for a national championship in 18 and continues to kick players off the team for misdemeanors he will be back in the AAc like Strong.

5. At some point Illinois and Rutgers especially have to get out of the b10. They cannot compete. Purdue is broke but they made a unreal hire of Brohm and there is hope. Ash can recruit where lovie cannot. Regardless these are MAC teams currently. Rutgers is transfer U but as long as they play teams looking to drown them by 68 points they will suffer in both recruiting and in performance. Rutgers got a 4* fr but ash can't play him due to he needs results now. He will start Bolin from Louisville and take on 7 p5 transfers to stay relevant each yr. How does your team grow? It doesn't it wins 4 games for life.
    Lovie was awful hire. He doesn't understand modern college football.

6. The ACC lost all of its qbs!
    Miami, va tech, UNC, Clemson, Ga tech, Pitt. I've said 2 yrs now that the Acc has the best coaches in college football hands down. We will find out in quick order.

7. App st. Has a qb who is now 31-7 as a starting qb and this mid major is begging for power 5 teams to play them. At what point do you see a sunbelt team with this much talent and a coach who has no interest in the bigger job..let them into a struggling AAc or MWC? They beat their average SBC opponent by 25.5 ppg and played mercy 2nd halts. If it's all about money, which we know it is. Why not let non power 5s choose where they want to go.
    I don't like what i see at Idaho and nm st and the sbc in general who makes great money and gets rid of teams.

8. I'm tired of hearing about NFL talent. As a college football fan and a casual bettor and observer of the NFL I'm so tired of them correlating that to peak interest. Josh Rosen of UCLA isn't a NFL qb yet and I could argue he hasn't even been a college football qb yet!

9. Texas tech has to really rethink their strategy. Kingsbury is gone. He will lose his 6 or 7 shootouts and still has no ability to run a D and will fire his 4 Coor on that side of the ball before long who apparently is to blame for not being able to coach 2* jucos who are expected to hold offenses under 52 whole you try to score 53 with reckless abandon. However ttu is in serious trouble. Leach out athleted and schemed his competition. With the advancement of technology only the 1st equation is going to work most of the time. Tech is not recruiting well and the b12 took their gameplay and are now running circles around them with it.

10. Poor Charlie Strong. His longhorns will field 18 return starters and strong had 3 top 10 recruiting classes in 4 seasons. Only saban was better. Herman inherits arguably the most talented team in the nation based off just recruiting stars.. How will Herman fare? Well he started a qb competition to fit his run qb system and has benched 5* Buechelle twice in practice last week. My guess? Not great. I am not a believer in Herman. He plays to the level of his competition and is the only HC I can remember who got this big of a promotion after falling on his face the year prior. He beats OU won't matter what else happens in yr. 1 oh wait strong did that too.

11. I suspect Lane Kiffin is dirty. Who doesn't? How do you get 4 and 5* jucos to Fau over Alabama, s. Carolina and Texas? Oh it's his system, his insistence of playing time. Hogwash. If he's clean so be it but I've been around awhile now and 1st yr hc acquiring elite talent and choosing c-usa over sec is a complete first for me.

12. No HC has more to prove to me in the nation than PJ Fleck. Fleck has made me a lot of money in the past 3 years but I am not a believer in him personally. He had talent that was unmatched by the rest of the Mac. That programs drop off won't be subtle I'm afraid. By 2020 see wmu 2014.
    I don't think he has the same talent at Minn and they expect 9 wins and major bowl runs.

13. Iowa stole Nevadas only proven asset in RB James butler. Iowa has no qb in place and they will be more iowa than ever before lol.

14. Staying in the b10. Nebraska should put Riley out of his misery. He got Tenner Lee from Tulane who was terrible, one of the worst 5 qbs in the nation in 2015. He will go pass 1st with no proven qbs and if this is a smashing success they actually play a horrible schedule and will win 8 games.. just in time for a bowl game announcement for their new head coach Scott Frost of Ucf.

15. LsU/BYU is the game to watch week 1 if you are wondering why someone would lock themselves in the office for a summer. Both teams change schemes on offense and byu changes it's defense.
    LSu goes warp speed with 5* athletes and BYU goes all pass happy and spread. BYU also goes gambling on D playing a 335 and looking for turnovers in exchange for a big play here or there. Exciting stuff.

16. Michigan st. Is lost. And it saddens me. Something very significant has happened. The best head coach for a long while has lost interest. He didn't recruit well, they started spring camp in disarray. I think Narduzzi and him were a team and he's not much of a solo act at his age. Something tells me he still wins enough close games to make life fun but the program is in bad shape for coming years if he doesn't find his step soon.

17. Terry Bowden Is taking your dysfunctional athletes. If you have kids with felonies or flunk out Akron will gladly take them. I expect Akron (egh Miami FL, WVU, UCLA, Rutgers and marshall) to have a better athlete with more headaches than most this yr.

18. Air force is the 1st school that wasn't in yr one in 10 years that will start game 1 with zero defensive experience! Not one starter on their roster has started a game on defense for the falcons.

19. Syracuse will be great in 2018. They'll field 18 return starters all sophomore and juniors. That's how you build a program. I wish more schools would do what babers did play the kids let am fail yr 1.

20. Bad coaches will kill you. Good coaches will save you. A good coach is good at what he does. A great coach is good at everything he does. Kyle whittingham is the man. He has exceeded his rsw every single yr he has been a head coach. He has recruited exceptionally well but he has taught better. However what makes him special is he does what the opposition doesn't. When the entire p12 went spread he went power run and clock management. In 2017 he will takes the keys to the car he's been driving and let someone else take it for a ride.
    Whittingham will let eastern Washington OC run his spread rpo that sees the ball in the air around 70% of the time. Why?
    Colorado won using his offense, Stanford has gone power for a few years now, Oregon st is doing well. He has no Dbs in 17 lost his entire secondary to the NFL or grad. Something tells me he just wants to have fun. Don't we all.

Thanks and goodluck.
    1alabama
    2. Ohio st
    3. Fsu
    4. Oklahoma (dropping by the day what a terrible camp for them)
    5. Penn st.
    6. Clemson
    7. USC
    8. Auburn
    9. Washington
    10. Osu

In case I bored you to tears that is the top 10
    130. Ua B
    129. Coastal Carolina
    128. Texas st.
    127. Ulm
    126. Kent st.
    125. Nevada
    124. Buffalo
    123. Sjsu
    122. Utep
    121. GA ST
    120. Uconn

The teams you can find better edges with imo.

Take care

EOG Dedicated

Default Re: 20 softball thoughts about college football

Milkshake, do you see any value in any of the Heisman candidates? Thanks, and BOL this year, any chance for Mason Rudolph +2200
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Milkshake, do you see any value in any of the Heisman candidates? Thanks, and BOL this year, any chance for Mason Rudolph +2200
    Can you maybe list them for me? Not at home and have never really looked into it. That's exceptionally high but if he has a chance so would his main WR Washington who is probably the best in the country other than Sutton at SMU.
    I'd have to know who else and the odds I think.

EOG Dedicated

Sorry, gotta head out, don't have time to list the Heisman guys, but whenever you get a chance look them over and let me know if you find a guy or two with some value, I appreciate it, take care
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

The quota hire at oregon has an easier schedule than washington. Did the quota hire fire the strength for his dui? Selective morality there

I enjoyed reading that,Thanks.

oh,Heisman odds from PP(theyll be cloned from some offshore or something,so wont be far off)

I think taking any acc player is bad. It's a defensive league this yr with the exception of Pitt, UNC and possibly Syracuse. Deondre Francois is above 200/1!?!? I suppose that'd be worth a 20-100$ bill for me.
    I like Barkley of Penn st some. Outside of osu he doesn't play any good DL's. I don't know if Scarborough will get enough reps with Alabama not playing many close second halfs I'd have to go look at past results to see what their Heisman RB #s were in past years. Rudolph at 33/1 is very appealing he should get 3500 yards passing pretty easy. Chalk with all inexp wr's (albeit they're all 5*'s at usc) and a iffy OL I'll pass. Pettway is another TD machine and Auburn is really good 40/1 sounds generous.
    Weber at 66/1 is probably the best long shot to throw a hundred at. New OC Kevin Wilson will churn out 18 more plays from scrimmage than last season if history repeats itself and he has a NFL OL. Ohio st. Should win the big 10 going away but hasn't really worked out that way for urban. JT Barret at 9/1 even if you win is a bad bet I'd make him 40/1 as the offense isn't built to put it in the air a ton.

ojos Re: 20 softball thoughts about college football

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    The quota hire at oregon has an easier schedule than washington. Did the quota hire fire the strength for his dui? Selective morality there
    Oregon plays the 44th toughest schedule in the fbs amd washington plays the 60th. Quota hire kept the white strength coach and dismissed the black WR?
    I don't Matt look like 0 for 2 brother. 333 gets you into the hall of fame though

Francois is generally 25/1
    Guess the intern who put PP prices in missed him.

I suspect Lane Kiffin is dirty. Who doesn't? How do you get 4 and 5* jucos to Fau over Alabama, s. Carolina and Texas? Oh it's his system, his insistence of playing time. Hogwash. If he's clean so be it but I've been around awhile now and 1st yr hc acquiring elite talent and choosing c-usa over sec is a complete first for me.

I can't believe he crossed the line already. I say this because he had no say so in the hiring and background check of Art Briles son as OC. I can only think that these former FSU nuggets want to play on a offense that's a combination of spread and speed similar to Baylor.
    The art of learning is learning who to ignore ~LeAnn Rimes

Quote Originally Posted by Drnkyourmlkshk View Post
    Oregon plays the 44th toughest schedule in the fbs amd washington plays the 60th. Quota hire kept the white strength coach and dismissed the black WR?
    I don't Matt look like 0 for 2 brother. 333 gets you into the hall of fame though
    dismissed 2 of his own coaches wrs, was strike 5 against carrington. 4 of those past regime, Preseason sos are bs. All here say. Montana is no gimme for uw. Are u still teasing totals like you did in 2011?

Have a big season, Drink.

CollFB one of the more frustrating handicaps for me. I know the legwork involved. I'm tempted to get back into it (in some capacity), but my better judgment says No.

Curious. What # of +Net Units would u consider to make a successful season? One that was worthy of your time + effort?

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    dismissed 2 of his own coaches wrs, was strike 5 against carrington. 4 of those past regime, Preseason sos are bs. All here say. Montana is no gimme for uw. Are u still teasing totals like you did in 2011?
    Unfortunately not although I still believe there's value in it at ev- instead of -115 and -120. You wanna book them at even. Correlated teasers absolutely I'll grab some action from ya.

Washington lost a lot in 2ndary talent. Would think that gets em somewhere along the way. And if not in Reg Season, surely USC would find holes in their Pass Defense.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

good thread Drink. I'll touch on a couple of these from a local perspective.

The B10 has always been unbalanced. I can only remember 2-3 good Illini teams, and they went on probation for the recruitment of Dave Wilson in '84. Rutgers shouldn't be in the conference. RU and Maryland are only in it because the B10 wanted to expand its channel into the eastern markets. That was the main reason they didn't go after ND.

The Mich St unraveling is sad, agree. D'antonio was outrecruiting Mich in the state, Mich wanted to focus on national. What started the downfall was Urban Meyer going to OSU, then contacting MSU commitments. Some of those kids decommitted and went to OSU. There has always been a gentlemans agreement in the B10 not to recruit like that. Lets just say there's no love lost between the two coaches. This latest saga with the volleyball players and the coverup by the coach is pretty ugly. It wouldn't surprise me if D'antonio is kicked upstairs after the season.

Fleck is in an interesting spot. There has been a lot of chatter that he replaces Brian Kelly in South Bend. Fleck has more baggage than people think. I can see him being a one-and-done coach at Minn if he gets a 7-8 win season, teams will take a shot with him. He has recruited some very shady players at WMU, two were kicked off the team in the 1st week.

Interesting your our comments about Akron. The MAC program I'm watching closely is Miami. They started 0-6, went 6-6, then lost the MAC championship.

Probably no coaches seat is hotter than Kelly's in South Bend. Could be a tough season with no experienced QB on thr roster.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post

Fleck is in an interesting spot. He has recruited some very shady players at WMU, two were kicked off the team in the 1st week.

FW,good input,is there any names I can google to read about that? I enjoy that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterUk View Post
    FW,good input,is there any names I can google to read about that? I enjoy that stuff.
    Ill see if I can find them. One was sentenced to 20 years for Breaking and Entering this summer, I think the other got 10. Fleck also has some problems living up to the family man image. Deadspin had an article about it.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

-

Ill see if I can find them. One was sentenced to 20 years for Breaking and Entering this summer, I think the other got 10. Fleck also has some problems living up to the family man image. Deadspin had an article about it.
    Great,thanks mate.Appreciate it.

EOG Dedicated

good thread Drink. I'll touch on a couple of these from a local perspective.

The B10 has always been unbalanced. I can only remember 2-3 good Illini teams, and they went on probation for the recruitment of Dave Wilson in '84. Rutgers shouldn't be in the conference. RU and Maryland are only in it because the B10 wanted to expand its channel into the eastern markets. That was the main reason they didn't go after ND.

The Mich St unraveling is sad, agree. D'antonio was outrecruiting Mich in the state, Mich wanted to focus on national. What started the downfall was Urban Meyer going to OSU, then contacting MSU commitments. Some of those kids decommitted and went to OSU. There has always been a gentlemans agreement in the B10 not to recruit like that. Lets just say there's no love lost between the two coaches. This latest saga with the volleyball players and the coverup by the coach is pretty ugly. It wouldn't surprise me if D'antonio is kicked upstairs after the season.

Fleck is in an interesting spot. There has been a lot of chatter that he replaces Brian Kelly in South Bend. Fleck has more baggage than people think. I can see him being a one-and-done coach at Minn if he gets a 7-8 win season, teams will take a shot with him. He has recruited some very shady players at WMU, two were kicked off the team in the 1st week.

Interesting your our comments about Akron. The MAC program I'm watching closely is Miami. They started 0-6, went 6-6, then lost the MAC championship.

Probably no coaches seat is hotter than Kelly's in South Bend. Could be a tough season with no experienced QB on thr roster.

I think ND will be just fine with Winbush at QB, Just a hunch

Bryson White and Ron George.

White was a PWO who supposedly got his high school coach/admin to cover up a bunch of shit he did that got him in trouble.

WMU *claims* they were unaware of it. Not sure I buy that.

George was a 3-star LB recruit out of the Pittsburgh area with no prior brushes with the law to my knowledge. Started running around with White though and the rest, as they say, is history.

EDIT: Sorry, FW. Didn't see you had already posted a link about it.

EDIT #2: Drink, no way WMU goes 1-11 in 2020. That's just flat out wrong. They continue to recruit well even after PJ's departure.

Excellent thread by shake...nice insights...I do think clemson is a little high at no.6...dabo has worked wonders for the tigers...but caught some breaks along the way..Losing quarterback Watson a key loss...their scheduled is tough especially in Sept..
    Nice job shake

Very interesting read Drink...tons of changes all over the country.....will be hectic in the ACC this year....

Wonder how good Alabama will be this year after that heartbreaking loss in the championship game last season..

And will be watching Lane Kiffen closely....got a feeling the higher ups at NCAA will also be watching...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by parlaynow View Post
    Excellent thread by shake...nice insights...I do think clemson is a little high at no.6...dabo has worked wonders for the tigers...but caught some breaks along the way..Losing quarterback Watson a key loss...their scheduled is tough especially in Sept..
    Nice job shake

The Clemson defense is unreal. Also that's the great thing about power numbers in August you can move them often!
    The game vs. Auburn will be one of the best watches of the season. I made it Clemson-3 but think I'm off. Might close pk. Auburn has a real qb and run game and defense. That'll be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Very interesting read Drink...tons of changes all over the country.....will be hectic in the ACC this year....

Wonder how good Alabama will be this year after that heartbreaking loss in the championship game last season..

And will be watching Lane Kiffen closely....got a feeling the higher ups at NCAA will also be watching...
    I won't lose sleep over Alabama being too shabby. I was just listening to a podcast that said Alabama will have 17 players drafted in the 1st 2 rounds of the NFL from this 2017s recruiting class by the time it's said and done. Howd they come up with that figure? That's what they have managed to produce from their 2 deep of the last 4 years. That is just sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    Bryson White and Ron George.

White was a PWO who supposedly got his high school coach/admin to cover up a bunch of shit he did that got him in trouble.

WMU *claims* they were unaware of it. Not sure I buy that.

George was a 3-star LB recruit out of the Pittsburgh area with no prior brushes with the law to my knowledge. Started running around with White though and the rest, as they say, is history.

EDIT: Sorry, FW. Didn't see you had already posted a link about it.

EDIT #2: Drink, no way WMU goes 1-11 in 2020. That's just flat out wrong. They continue to recruit well even after PJ's departure.
    I doubt WMU goes 1-11 in 2020 either. Lester should be pretty respected as he knows the program from playing there, unless he is in over his head or there is more fallout from Fleck's regime.
    -

Default Re: Twenty softball thoughts about college football

Thanks for sharing, Drink.

I doubt WMU goes 1-11 in 2020 either. Lester should be pretty respected as he knows the program from playing there, unless he is in over his head or there is more fallout from Fleck's regime.
    I don't like any interviews I'm listening to with Lester. Low energy guy who wants to throw the ball with probably the best RB duo of any mid major and with a fr qb. I don't see any 4* recruits like fleck got in yr 1. He didn't have a good recruiting class at all compared to 15 and 16 classes. He could be fine but the MAC is going to be tough with Miami and emu making huge steps also think ball st' s Neu could be special. Toledo has a special one in Candle but he won't be there long.
    Maybe Lester just isn't used to dealing with interviews but he sounds as about as 180 degrees different than Fleck that it does concern me. I think we can gauge wmu's entire season off of week 2 at sparty. That's a very good matchup and I expect very little scoring but if Lester can manage that game I'll give him more credit for sure.

I graduated from WMU and any 4* athlete considering a MAC school draws a red flag. I'm sure they won't have anything close to what Fleck was bringing in. The one MAC school who should outrecruit everyone is Toledo.

I graduated from WMU and any 4* athlete considering a MAC school draws a red flag. I'm sure they won't have anything close to what Fleck was bringing in. The one MAC school who should outrecruit everyone is Toledo.
    Where's the next Bogan and Franklin. I'm not hating on Lester or WMU. I do think we see a drop off in talent followed by results is all. Will it be Babers at bowling green bad? No. Not nearly that sudden

Quote Originally Posted by Drnkyourmlkshk View Post
    I don't like any interviews I'm listening to with Lester. Low energy guy who wants to throw the ball with probably the best RB duo of any mid major and with a fr qb. I don't see any 4* recruits like fleck got in yr 1. He didn't have a good recruiting class at all compared to 15 and 16 classes. He could be fine but the MAC is going to be tough with Miami and emu making huge steps also think ball st' s Neu could be special. Toledo has a special one in Candle but he won't be there long.
    Maybe Lester just isn't used to dealing with interviews but he sounds as about as 180 degrees different than Fleck that it does concern me. I think we can gauge wmu's entire season off of week 2 at sparty. That's a very good matchup and I expect very little scoring but if Lester can manage that game I'll give him more credit for sure.
    After PJ Fleck, any head coach is going to seem to be a "low energy" guy. That said, I agree with you that he doesn't really make for a great interview. Neither do Saban, Urban Meyer, David Shaw, or Bob Stoops though.

(No, I'm NOT comparing him to any of them! Just saying I don't think there's necessarily a correlation.)

Lester wasn't my first choice, but he made me feel better by hiring a great stable of assistants. Getting Kevin Johns from IU was an absolute steal and the best assistant hire in the entire G5 IMO. I think he'll rein Lester in if he wants to get pass-happy in the next couple years. Of course, Lester's eventual goal will be to mold the offense in his own image (which means throwing.... A lot. Just like he did in his battles with Chad Pennington back in the day.) but I'm pretty sure he realizes that he's got a top 10 (including P5) backfield and he'll use the shit out of it this year and next.

Agree with you that the litmus test for this team will be Sept. 9 at Sparty.

EJD is a smart guy.

drinkyourshake I thought that was an outstanding post and EOG is fortunate to have you as a contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    After PJ Fleck, any head coach is going to seem to be a "low energy" guy. That said, I agree with you that he doesn't really make for a great interview. Neither do Saban, Urban Meyer, David Shaw, or Bob Stoops though.

(No, I'm NOT comparing him to any of them! Just saying I don't think there's necessarily a correlation.)

Lester wasn't my first choice, but he made me feel better by hiring a great stable of assistants. Getting Kevin Johns from IU was an absolute steal and the best assistant hire in the entire G5 IMO. I think he'll rein Lester in if he wants to get pass-happy in the next couple years. Of course, Lester's eventual goal will be to mold the offense in his own image (which means throwing.... A lot. Just like he did in his battles with Chad Pennington back in the day.) but I'm pretty sure he realizes that he's got a top 10 (including P5) backfield and he'll use the shit out of it this year and next.

Agree with you that the litmus test for this team will be Sept. 9 at Sparty.
    I don't disagree that he made a great hire in Johns. He made a bad decision to bring his OC with him who only has experience running a spread pass O though imo. He had resources available for better.

It feels like he is playing the long game and I guess my concern is that I don't believe he will find talent to replace what he has now. The DL is green with a inexp. Depth chart. If he can force teams to pass that secondary coupled with the RB talent he repeats as Mac champs. He let's that OC dictate pace and gameplan you have problems. I'm rooting for you and wmu in general.