Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is back
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is back

EOG Dedicated

Default Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is back

Six-game suspension.

Federal appeals court ruled against him.
    this space intentionally left blank.

Default Re: Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is back

The 2-3 Cowboys are on the road in San Francisco and Washington D.C. in Weeks 7 and 8 following this week's bye week.

The Dallas defense over the past two weeks has allowed opponents to score on a combined 14 of 18 possessions, not counting an end-of-the-game kneel down by the Rams).

EOG Dedicated

jones caved in on the players ( the way some players looked at it ) . Will the players cave in on the season without Elliott ?

TYVM Morgan William!!! winkyduck's Avatar

Great to hear this. In Week 7 we face the Fantasy team that owns him so we won't have to face Zeke
    The mind is a terrible thing to waste unless we are talking about the MORONS who post at Covers where the collective Sports Gambling IQ for the ENTIRE site is.................4!!! and even that might be too high

Pick up Alfred Morris quickly

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    The 2-3 Cowboys are on the road in San Francisco and Washington D.C. in Weeks 7 and 8 following this week's bye week.

The Dallas defense over the past two weeks has allowed opponents to score on a combined 14 of 18 possessions, not counting an end-of-the-game kneel down by the Rams).
    LOL, takes on a whole new meaning, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
    Pick up Alfred Morris quickly
    If the Zeke owners don't already own Morris before the ruling today they're idiots

Heisenberg surprisingly Morris was only owned in 8% of yahoo fantasy leagues before the news today

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
    Heisenberg surprisingly Morris was only owned in 8% of yahoo fantasy leagues before the news today
    That shocks me. I own Zeke in both of my leagues and picked up Morris two weeks ago in case this happened. But who knows, maybe they end up featuring McFadden instead and I'm the idiot.

I still think Zeke's legal team and the NFLPA will get this held up in court for the remainder of this year, and he won't serve the suspension until next year, ala Brady. This isn't over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuesser View Post
    I still think Zeke's legal team and the NFLPA will get this held up in court for the remainder of this year, and he won't serve the suspension until next year, ala Brady. This isn't over.
    God, you're stupid. I do not have the time to educate you. Zeke will serve the 6 game suspension this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Sims View Post
    God, you're stupid. I do not have the time to educate you. Zeke will serve the 6 game suspension this year.
    You took the time to call him stupid so why don’t you enlighten him....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Enlighten me Chucky. I'm not a legal scholar, but I do know how to read betting rules on websites, unlike you.
    I already collected on a pre season prop that Zeke would play in one of the 1st 6 games, when the first "suspension" was announced. If a book offers a similar prop now, I'll bet it again.

Here’s the order on which NFL, NFLPA disagree

Posted by Mike Florio on October 14, 2017, 10:53 PM EDT
    Getty Images

The disagreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association in the Ezekiel Elliott case has extended to the interpretation of a fairly basic court order.
    The union believes that the latest order from Judge Amos Mazzant preserves the injunction that allows Elliott to play. The league believes that it does not.
    Here’s the language of the order: “On October 12, 2017, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals issued an opinion on the National Football League and National Football League Management Council’s appeal of the Court’s preliminary injunction in the above-styled cause of action. The Fifth Circuit vacated the Court’s preliminary injunction and remanded the case with instructions to dismiss the case. On October 13, 2017, the mandate issued forthwith. The National Football League Players Association, on its own behalf and on behalf of Ezekiel Elliott (‘NFLPA’) filed a motion to recall the mandate. The NFLPA indicated that it intends to file a petition for rehearing and would suffer prejudice if the mandate is not recalled. The Court defers dismissing the case pursuant to the mandate until the
    Fifth Circuit decides the NFLPA’s motion for recall, unless otherwise instructed.”
    Put simply, Judge Mazzant has declined to dismiss the case, despite a direction from the Fifth Circuit to do so. Although the order doesn’t state that the injunction has been reinstated (in what would be clear and direct defiance of the Fifth Circuit), the refusal to dismiss the case constitutes an act of defiance, technically. And if the Fifth Circuit doesn’t rule in the next few days on the motion to recall the mandate (which would then give Elliott a chance to pursue his right to file a petition for rehearing), Judge Mazzant surely will be asked to take his refusal to dismiss the case to its next logical step and reiterate that the injunction blocks the suspension until the Fifth Circuit acts on the motion to recall the mandate.
    Surely, it won’t come to that. The Fifth Circuit undoubtedly is aware of the fact that the Cowboys play next Sunday. The Fifth Circuit should know that the team’s work week commences in earnest on Wednesday. Under the circumstances (including the district judge’s refusal to dismiss the case despite the mandate to do so), it would be a shock if the Fifth Circuit doesn’t provide more clarity on Monday or Tuesday.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That shocks me. I own Zeke in both of my leagues and picked up Morris two weeks ago in case this happened. But who knows, maybe they end up featuring McFadden instead and I'm the idiot.
    I think Morris will just vulture all of mcfaddens TD’s.

As predicted, Zeke will play for at least the next couple of weeks. Damn, why couldn't some Book have been as dumb as Chuck and put up a prop for it:

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017...al-suspension/

As predicted, Zeke will play for at least the next couple of weeks. Damn, why couldn't some Book have been as dumb as Chuck and put up a prop for it:

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017...al-suspension/
    As a Zeke fantasy owner I don't like this. He might now be suspended during the fantasy playoffs instead.

As a Zeke fantasy owner I don't like this. He might now be suspended during the fantasy playoffs instead.
    When are fantasy playoffs? I doubt it anyway. I suspect this plays out like Brady and gets resolved one way or the other next year, after all the court mechanizations.

When are fantasy playoffs? I doubt it anyway. I suspect this plays out like Brady and gets resolved one way or the other next year, after all the court mechanizations.
    I hope you're right Guesser. Fantasy playoffs start week 14.

I hope you're right Guesser. Fantasy playoffs start week 14.
    I think you're gonna be safe. In fact, I think there's a decent chance Zeke prevails overall, and the suspension is done away with period, after it's all said and done. Again, I'm not a legal scholar in any way, so I'm trying to interpret what's going on in common sense terms. Brady caved eventually because he destroyed evidence, and was never going to be able to adequately explain why, so he took his punishment, rather than continue the fight. AFAIK, no such thing exists here, and ultimately, the case will be decided on the merits, not if Roger has the power to suspend(he does). Zeke has a pretty strong case on the merits.

Judge rejects NFL’s position on “fundamental fairness” in arbitrations

Posted by Mike Florio on October 17, 2017, 8:57 PM EDT
    Getty Images

The biggest news from the four-page order entered on Tuesday by Judge Paul A. Crotty comes from, obviously, the notion that Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott will be able to practice and play for up to 14 days pending further proceedings. Potentially far more important to the case filed by the NFL in a New York federal court was Judge Crotty’s assessment of the threshold position about legal challenges to player suspensions imposed by the league office.
    Put simply, Judge Crotty doesn’t agree that the ultimate outcome of the Tom Brady case gives the NFL as much power as the NFL thinks it secured through the Tom Brady case.
    Judge Crotty writes that the NFL “maintains that the issue of fundamental fairness is irrelevant” in Elliott’s case “because ‘there is no such thing as fundamental fairness review under the Labor Management Relations Act,'” and that the NFL “contends that the Second Circuit determined [in the Brady case] that fundamental fairness was not the appropriate standard for reviewing an arbitral order.” The NFL instead, as Judge Crotty points out, “asserts that the only relevant ‘issue is whether the Arbitrator even arguably construed or applied the contract,'” and contends that the Brady ruling “forecloses judicial review of arbitral decision[s] for fundamental fairness.”
    Says Judge Crotty, point blank: “That is quite wrong.”
    He adds that the Brady case “did not hold that courts cannot review arbitral decisions for fundamental fairness,” and that the Brady ruling “did not decide that issue.”
    This is significant, for two reasons. First, it underscores the fact that the question of whether an NFL player is entitled to “fundamental fairness” in an internal arbitration proceeding has not been resolved by the Second Court, the appeals court with jurisdiction over New York federal litigation. Second, Judge Crotty becomes the first judge in the Elliott case to deviate from the party lines of the president who nominated him.
    It means that Elliott has an opening to prevail not only as to an injunction that would let him play for the rest of the year, but also as to an eventual ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on whether he is entitled to, and whether he received, a fundamentally fair hearing.
    In English, Elliott actually has a chance to defeat the suspension.

Heard a lawyer on the radio today give a few compelling reasons why she doesn't think Zeke will serve his 6 game suspension this season or if at all like you stated in your latest post.

EOG Dedicated

this space intentionally left blank.

Heard a lawyer on the radio today give a few compelling reasons why she doesn't think Zeke will serve his 6 game suspension this season or if at all like you stated in your latest post.
    God, you're stupid like your libtard butt butt buddy. I do not have time to educate either one of you.

Zeke will serve his six game suspension this year.

God, you're stupid like your libtard butt butt buddy. I do not have time to educate either one of you.

Gonna try again, huh Chucky? You were already wrong, let's see if you are again.

What's with all the homo erotic references from guys like you and the the Cubs fanboy? It appears we have another frustrated, angry guy in the closet.

Did he appeal yet? Does not seem that will change a thing. Also, mark the date. Goodell may not be commish into the future after this. Jerry is might angry.

Sure enough, in her ruling Failla writes that the Brady decision “rejected arguments similar to those here and ordered confirmation of the arbitration award.” As both Brady and now Elliott have learned, the broad authority granted to the NFL commissioner under Article 46 of the collective bargaining agreement—the person in that office has the power to both issue discipline and hear the appeal, or designate the arbitrator who will do so—is difficult to overcome.

While the NFL has scored a big victory in its latest court battle, it’s not so cut and dried for Goodell himself. In disciplining Elliott, he’s strained his relationship with one of his greatest and most influential allies in Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. As recently as last summer, Jones declared the job Goodell has done as “triple A-plus great” and said he would be commissioner “as far as I can see into the future.” But with a pending contract extension through 2024 for Goodell, ESPN reported this weekend that Jones is leading a coalition of owners that have discussed halting those negotiations.

Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar

Maybe if the idiots for the NFLPA negotiated a better deal, they wouldn't have to deal with the consequences of a bad deal. Probably let the players have too much say in negotiations.

Not over yet.

Judge denies NFLPA’s motion to block Ezekiel Elliott’s suspension pending appeal

Posted by Charean Williams on October 31, 2017, 6:01 PM EDT
    Getty Images

In a ruling that will come as a surprise to no one, Judge Katherine Polk Failla already has denied the NFLPA’s request for an emergency injunction blocking Ezekiel Elliott‘s suspension pending appeal.
    “For the Court to grant the NFLPA’s motion for a stay at this stage would in effect be to reverse its decision of last night,” Judge Failla said in her ruling.
    The NFLPA expected the decision and now will go to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals with an emergency motion asking for an injunction pending the appeal in that court.
    The NFLPA argues that Elliott will suffer “irreparable harm” if he serves a suspension another court proceeding later overturns. Failla’s decision on Monday rejected that argument without explanation.
    The NFLPA and Elliott are using their remaining options to try to keep him on the field, with his NFL suspension back on for now.

NFLPA files motion to stay Elliott suspension pending appeal

Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2017, 5:36 PM EDT

Getty Images

The effort to block Ezekiel Elliott‘s suspension continues, #asexpected.
    On Wednesday, the NFL Players Association filed an emergency motion for an injunction pending appeal with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. The goal is to get the appeals court to conclude that Elliott should be permitted to play while the appeals court formally considers whether Judge Katherine Polk Failla erroneously failed to grant Elliott an injunction that blocks the suspension pending the outcome of the litigation.
    The 14-page document argues that Judge Failla ignored a long line of cases in which courts have allowed athletes to play while litigation regarding a suspension proceeds. That, by far, represents Elliott’s strongest argument. Even if he ultimately loses in court, a victory becomes meaningless if the suspension already has been served before the case ends.
    Elliott already has played seven games this year while the litigation has unfolded. If the league eventually wins the case, Elliott will serve his suspension, just like Tom Brady did. So what’s the harm in giving Elliott a full and fair chance to pursue his rights in court before those rights are rendered meaningless by serving the six-game suspension?
    The latest motion filed by the NFLPA on Elliott’s behalf does not mention the curious complication arising from the fact that Judge Failla’s husband serves as a partner in the firm that helped negotiate and craft the labor agreement at issue in this case. With judges and lawyers expected to avoid not only impropriety but also the appearance of impropriety, it arguably appears improper and not impartial for the judge to give her husband’s firm’s high-dollar client a victory in a high-stakes case directly involving the high-level work product of her husband’s firm.

Elliot suspension back on hold. He's playing this Sunday.

EOG Dedicated

What a cluster fuck this whole situation has become
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    What a cluster fuck this whole situation has become

....NFL screwed this up

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    ....NFL screwed this up
    First the Ray Rice incident, then the whole deflategate fiasco, now this mess. Why can't the league ever get these things right, it shouldn't be this difficult
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase