Cubs/Dodgers NLCS thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cubs/Dodgers NLCS thread

Default Cubs/Dodgers NLCS thread

Game 1 have to look at the Dodgers team total over. The Cubs bullpen is completely spent.

Default Re: Cubs/Dodgers NLCS thread

Those terrible Cubbies are on to their 3rd straight NLCS

So will it be Lackey or Quintana in game 1? Might be better off giving Quintana one more day and not have to go head to head with Kershaw in LA.

www.gabewins.com Baseball Zealot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    So will it be Lackey or Quintana in game 1? Might be better off giving Quintana one more day and not have to go head to head with Kershaw in LA.
    I'd go Quintana, Arrieta, Lester, Hendricks, can't forfeit a game with Lackey.

3 days off for Arrieta might be enough since he didn't go that deep. We'll see what Joe comes up with, I know I don't have much confidence in him after how he managed that game.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post

3 days off for Arrieta might be enough since he didn't go that deep. We'll see what Joe comes up with, I know I don't have much confidence in him after how he managed that game.
    But the fact that Maddon removed Arrieta that quickly makes me wonder if the hamstring is fully healed.

After throwing 45 pitches (or whatever the number was, on top of pitching Wednesday), have to believe Wade Davis probably not available on Saturday. I'd say sacrifice game one and have Quintana go head to head with Darvish or Hill.

I actually think it's gonna be lackey in game 1, lester in game 2.

Quote Originally Posted by richsox24 View Post
    I actually think it's gonna be lackey in game 1, lester in game 2.
    So who gets bitch slapped out of the rotation entirely if you do that? Hendricks or Arrieta? Hendricks shut the Dodgers down last year, 12 2/3 innings and 1 ER. So I doubt him. And Joe likes Arrieta.

The big problem is throwing Lackey out there fucks the whole series, how you set it up. That's why I think they'll just rush Quintana and treat today's 12 pitches as a weird side session and then rush Lester or Arrieta. Now that I think about it, probably Lester.

TYVM Morgan William!!! winkyduck's Avatar

IF the Dodgers can't get past the Cubs now............they may never do it.

I'll make the Series Price

Dodgers -180
    Cubs +155
    The mind is a terrible thing to waste unless we are talking about the MORONS who post at Covers where the collective Sports Gambling IQ for the ENTIRE site is.................4!!! and even that might be too high

So who gets bitch slapped out of the rotation entirely if you do that? Hendricks or Arrieta? Hendricks shut the Dodgers down last year, 12 2/3 innings and 1 ER. So I doubt him. And Joe likes Arrieta.

The big problem is throwing Lackey out there fucks the whole series, how you set it up. That's why I think they'll just rush Quintana and treat today's 12 pitches as a weird side session and then rush Lester or Arrieta. Now that I think about it, probably Lester.
    They could ignore the 12 pitches and start Quintana in game 1. Then who do you start in game 2? Arrieta would be back on short rest, Lester went nearly 4 innings yesterday. Hendricks started today. They have put themselves in a tough situation. At least Lackey has post season experience. If you have to bite the bullet in game 1, so what? If you lose 12-2, it counts the same as a 2-1 loss, but you can give a number of arms rest. The bullpen is on fumes.

EOG Dedicated

I think that the Dodgers better take advantage of the Cubs' disarray and knock out the Cubs in 4 or 5. If it goes long, Cubs will find a way to win.

www.gabewins.com Baseball Zealot's Avatar

Kershaw
    Hill
    Darvish
    Wood

Gl

They could ignore the 12 pitches and start Quintana in game 1. Then who do you start in game 2? Arrieta would be back on short rest, Lester went nearly 4 innings yesterday. Hendricks started today. They have put themselves in a tough situation. At least Lackey has post season experience. If you have to bite the bullet in game 1, so what? If you lose 12-2, it counts the same as a 2-1 loss, but you can give a number of arms rest. The bullpen is on fumes.
    Lester Sunday is 3 days rest after 55 pitches. He’s probably a lock to start game 2 knowing how competitive he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball Zealot View Post
    Kershaw
    Hill
    Darvish
    Wood

Gl
    Having Heyward out of the lineup most of the series is a god send, actually. Dude does so much damage and rally killing.

MLB requiring an on field work out tomorrow from the Cubs

Fucking stupid shit. Joe Maddon says 15 minute work out.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

I think you have to start Lackey in game 2. Somewhere you have to save your staff, and they were 12-3 in his last 15 starts. They are behind the 8-ball but they won’t beat the Dodgers with their SP’s at 80% with a shaky bullpen. Even if they are down 0-2, you have Lester, Arrieta, and Hendricks on full rest.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    I think you have to start Lackey in game 2. Somewhere you have to save your staff, and they were 12-3 in his last 15 starts. They are behind the 8-ball but they won’t beat the Dodgers with their SP’s at 80% with a shaky bullpen. Even if they are down 0-2, you have Lester, Arrieta, and Hendricks on full rest.
    Start Lackey in game 1. You are already in a low win probability facing Kershaw in LA with a rested Dodger pen. I'd rather give Quintana one more day and come back with him in game 2. Basically tank game 1. Part of the reason Lackey was signed was to eat up innings. And right now, even in game 1 of an NLCS, the Cubs need innings burned up.

Start Lackey in game 1. You are already in a low win probability facing Kershaw in LA with a rested Dodger pen. I'd rather give Quintana one more day and come back with him in game 2. Basically tank game 1. Part of the reason Lackey was signed was to eat up innings. And right now, even in game 1 of an NLCS, the Cubs need innings burned up.
    Agree. If g1 and 2 and going to be Lackey and Q anyway, you might as well give Q the extra day.

And i cant see Lester starting in either of the 1st two. It would be on 3 days rest. Yes I know he only threw 55 pitches but those 55 pitches were on 3 days rest as well. So he would basically be pitching for the 3rd time in 8 days.
    The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.

Agree. If g1 and 2 and going to be Lackey and Q anyway, you might as well give Q the extra day.

And i cant see Lester starting in either of the 1st two. It would be on 3 days rest. Yes I know he only threw 55 pitches but those 55 pitches were on 3 days rest as well. So he would basically be pitching for the 3rd time in 8 days.
    Agree Lester needs more than 3 days. Maybe in the past he could've done it. He's not as good this year.

I know if Maddon runs Quintana out there Saturday and goes running to the bullpen by the 4th inning, it will be a sweep.

I hope Maddon isn't thinking like this... Quintana is 28 years old and threw 12 pitches and probably didn't even throw his usual side session since he was prepared to go several innings last night, there's no reason his arm shouldn't be ready for Saturday night.

It sounds like Maddon is almost definitely starting lackey in game 1 or 2. If this is the case, it would make 0 sense not to start lackey in game 1 vs Kershaw (a game the cubs probably lose anyway facing a rested dodgers team while cubs pen is depleted) and have Q a little sharper in game 2 than he would be in game 1.

Eventus stultorum magister NowshesmyRuca's Avatar

Only chance the cubbies have here is to start Lackey game 1 and rest all of their key bullpens guys, it's really a no brainer. Why put yourself behind the 8 ball for the whole series?

With Madden you never know though.
    Clowns make me laugh! :+textinb3

Why can a 28 year old not start and have a long game after pitching 12 pitches on Thursday? Still don't get your logic, and thinking like Joe Maddon probably proves you're wrong.

Uhhh nobody said he couldn't start but why waste him when youre probably going to lose anyway?

Get everyone well and rested for game 2 and then you have 3 games back in Chicago. Like I said it's really a no brainer. Cubs could be coming back to LA with 3-2 lead.

Quote Originally Posted by NowshesmyRuca View Post
    Uhhh nobody said he couldn't start but why waste him when youre probably going to lose anyway?

Get everyone well and rested for game 2 and then you have 3 games back in Chicago. Like I said it's really a no brainer. Cubs could be coming back to LA with 3-2 lead.
    Probably going to lose anyway?

lol. The game is opened up Dodgers -180 despite the fact Lackey is a potential starter

The Cubs have tagged Kershaw for 18 hits in 9.1 innings and 8 ER including 5 HR in his last 2 starts against the Cubs.

It's only a probably going to lose game if you start Lackey. It's anyone's game if you start Quintana.

Javy, if you start Q in g1, who do you start in g2? A less than 100% arrieta, or lester on 3 days rest for a 2nd straight time?

I'm telling you, Lackey will start games 1 or 2.

Javy, if you start Q in g1, who do you start in g2? A less than 100% arrieta, or lester on 3 days rest for a 2nd straight time?

I'm telling you, Lackey will start games 1 or 2.
    I am confused by the idea that Lester can't start on 3 days rest off half an outing. As much as I'm confused as to why Quintana can't pitch game 1.

And you can tell me all you want. I don't doubt that Joe will do it, but it's not the right play unless there's something unique about Quintana that makes him more fragile than most pitchers that I don't know about. Usually you'd throw 40/50 pitches on a side day. Warming up and throwing 12 in a game is not ideal, but not a significantly different work load even a day later.

Joe doing it doesn't exactly prove it's a smart thing to do, is also my point. He made so many weird mistakes last night that I lost track. Using Quintana at all was moronic.

Joe will probably jump on the last Lackey start of his career angle and hope Lackey comes out throwing 95 MPH sinkers and burns his arm like The Rocket in Rookie of the Year, but really it's just a dumb play because Kershaw is not an unbeatable force. Hell, Kershaw probably isn't half the pitcher right now that Strasburg was.

Using Quintana at all was moronic.
    Absolutely agree

If Javy was the manager would any of the Cubs have arms left?

If I was the manager, I wouldn't have put a guy on a playoff roster if I didn't trust him enough to use him.

Justin Wilson unused last night. He was only used once, in the game 4 loss. Didn't walk anyone and got 2 outs.

I don't particularly like Justin Wilson, but I'd have used him instead of Quintana and Quintana would be scheduled to go game 1 for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NowshesmyRuca View Post
    Only chance the cubbies have here is to start Lackey game 1 and rest all of their key bullpens guys, it's really a no brainer. Why put yourself behind the 8 ball for the whole series?

With Madden you never know though.
    Bingo.

If I was the manager, I wouldn't have put a guy on a playoff roster if I didn't trust him enough to use him.

Justin Wilson unused last night. He was only used once, in the game 4 loss. Didn't walk anyone and got 2 outs.

I don't particularly like Justin Wilson, but I'd have used him instead of Quintana and Quintana would be scheduled to go game 1 for sure.
    Who should Maddon have left off the playoff roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Who should Maddon have left off the playoff roster?
    I'm just saying if he doesn't trust Justin Wilson, he shouldn't have been on the roster. Justin Grimm and Rondon aren't great at the moment, but you know they're not going to walk everyone they face, which is I assume why Justin Wilson didn't pitch last night.

Instead Quintana comes in and puts on 2 of the 3 guys he faces on base though. Unlikely Justin Wilson does worse than that, but if you don't trust him to pitch with a 3 run lead and no one left but starters, why is he on the roster?

I'm just saying if he doesn't trust Justin Wilson, he shouldn't have been on the roster. Justin Grimm and Rondon aren't great at the moment, but you know they're not going to walk everyone they face, which is I assume why Justin Wilson didn't pitch last night.

Instead Quintana comes in and puts on 2 of the 3 guys he faces on base though. Unlikely Justin Wilson does worse than that, but if you don't trust him to pitch with a 3 run lead and no one left but starters, why is he on the roster?
    Ok-I agree with you on this