Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    His career memorial written.

Sorry rail
    Should he retire?
    Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    Satan time is short

Default Re: Yu Darvish playoff choker

Darvish also has a lot more miles on his arm than Arrieta lifetime for sure because of the way Japan abuses young pitchers.

WTF???

I gotta laugh at that.

Mental illness is a scary thing folks. Watch out for billysink. Hopefully he has no access to guns.

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    I gotta laugh at that.
    The entire thread was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by bookbraker View Post
    The entire thread was a good one.
    Not as good as your Mets arguments when I told you the Cubs were going to beat the shit out of them after the fluke 4 game series in 2015

Those were all hall of fame threads.

You still haven't fully recovered from them...you've been nipping at my heels like a neutered chihuahua since them b/c of how humiliated you are.

Truly sad.

What's funny is the Mets are a dumpster organization and bookbraker and gigantic man titty billy is laughing at the Cubs for locking up the NL Central in 2018 today.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9;49858No28
    Mental illness is a scary thing folks. Watch out for billysink. Hopefully he has no access to guns.
    Never touched a gun.

No need

right, slap em with the tittays... kramer got a line of manzier just for you, triple DDD

right, slap em with the tittays... kramer got a line of manzier just for you, triple DDD
    Kid gonna kill me with his keyboard.

Better call it a night.

Quote Originally Posted by rico1 View Post
    Darvish cost himself lots of cash this October. Any club stupid enough to pay him 15-20 million/year this winter deserves what they get.

You're right.

Sad day for the cubs.....very sad

You're right.

Sad day for the cubs.....very sad
    when they reach their 5th straight NLCS in 2019 remember to come in and tell them how sad the cubs are

mets

I said I'd rather have Arrieta.

But Darvish instead of nobody is an upgrade.

The Brewers and Cardinals are both doomed now for 2018. That's a big deal to some.

I said I'd rather have Arrieta.

But Darvish instead of nobody is an upgrade.

The Brewers and Cardinals are both doomed now for 2018. That's a big deal to some.
    Chatwood was a great acquisition too

Quote Originally Posted by bomzee View Post
    Chatwood was a great acquisition too
    When you looked at ZIPs projections, the Cubs' rotation was head and shoulders above the rest of the NL Central BEFORE the Darvish signing. So this contract is a pretty big deal. Means the Cubs are winning the NL Central unless they are devastated by injuries.

Then you hope 2 or 3 of the 5 starters are pitching lights out baseball to get you deep into the playoffs. As is the formula for any World Series championship ever.

When you looked at ZIPs projections, the Cubs' rotation was head and shoulders above the rest of the NL Central BEFORE the Darvish signing. So this contract is a pretty big deal. Means the Cubs are winning the NL Central unless they are devastated by injuries.

Then you hope 2 or 3 of the 5 starters are pitching lights out baseball to get you deep into the playoffs. As is the formula for any World Series championship ever.
    So this is just insurance to win the NL Central? Then you're hoping Darvish is one of those 2-3 starters that will pitch lights out... Yes, that makes a lot of sense, the Cubs signed him to eat innings in the reg season and then pitch well in the setting his history says he'll curl in the fetal position and surrender quicker than the French. Great deal for the Cubs, no wonder they have one world series title in 100 years.
    If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

"White Folk's Greed Runs a World In Need..."

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenGoon View Post
    So this is just insurance to win the NL Central? Then you're hoping Darvish is one of those 2-3 starters that will pitch lights out... Yes, that makes a lot of sense, the Cubs signed him to eat innings in the reg season and then pitch well in the setting his history says he'll curl in the fetal position and surrender quicker than the French. Great deal for the Cubs, no wonder they have one world series title in 100 years.

agree

were these the same projections that someone said the cubs were going to be better after the championship season ?

Javy has no feel for what or where the Cubs are. Zero read on where his team is.

Kane went on record with his Cub ST under and Javy insisted they would win more games this season than last.

They didn't come close, he was expecting well over 100 wins.

And Ruca, by extension a bunch of us who followed, won a fortune fading the Cubs this year. Picked his spots like a seasoned pro.

Sometimes through the fans you can see why Cubs are one of the most embarrassing organization in professional sports.......

Yu Darvish for the playoffs? Better sit fans in the left field bleachers in full catchers gear. They will be dodging shots all game long (or the inning or so he will last).

Launching pads on the 4th of July don't see the kind of fireworks we saw from his hitters in the series last year.

From goat to 100's of millions thrown his way, only the hapless Cubs.

I guess in the year 2224 when the Cubs win another title the laugh will be on us, LOL.

We move on.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Right now I see a rotation of a low1/high2, a 3 hoping to be a 2, and the rest 3's at the best. That gets you thru a season but not sure about a long playoff run.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

I think the cubs should have passed on Darvish. Jake on the juice put your best offer in and if you don't get him hold out until the trade deadline. Look what the Astros got out of Verlander last year.

Nice to hear from informed fans, guys like FW and Valuist. They will give it to you straight.

Just because you're a fan you don't have to be the biggest homer in town. That's what 8 year olds do.

I won't mention any names of guilty parties but he thinks Cutler is a Hall of Famer, LOL.

I think the cubs should have passed on Darvish. Jake on the juice put your best offer in and if you don't get him hold out until the trade deadline. Look what the Astros got out of Verlander last year.
    Cubs don't have much in the farm system right now. In fact, they have no Baseball America Top 100 prospects.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Seems like small market teams have much more pressure to develop productive farm systems.

(If they want to win)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Seems like small market teams have much more pressure to develop productive farm systems.

(If they want to win)
    Yes, its the cheapest way to acquire cheap talent. Cincy hasn't figured it out, Milwaukee has.
    -

Really hilarious how Javy is spinning this stuff.....sometimes you get what you wish for....personally, I think the Cubs overpaid....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Really hilarious how Javy is spinning this stuff.....sometimes you get what you wish for....personally, I think the Cubs overpaid....
    The Scott Boros motto - it only takes one.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Yes, its the cheapest way to acquire cheap talent. Cincy hasn't figured it out, Milwaukee has.
    Rays do fairly well overall, not exceptional.

I will say they do better than average with pitching prospects......

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Rays do fairly well overall not exceptional.

I will say they do better than average with pitching prospects......
    Them and the White Sox liked drafting pitchers because they were easier/cheaper to sign over position players. Theo knew that and drafted stud hitters early with the Cubs, figuring its easier to acquire pitchers down the road. Projecting hitting is a little safer to project also.
    -

Good post FW, informative.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Cubs don't have much in the farm system right now. In fact, they have no Baseball America Top 100 prospects.
    Wow...I knew they gave up a lot in recent years but didn't know the cupboard was that bare.

Maybe deal some major league position players? Idk.

Darvish deal was in desperation.

Is he gonna be on the mound opening day?

Wow...I knew they gave up a lot in recent years but didn't know the cupboard was that bare.

Maybe deal some major league position players? Idk.

Darvish deal was in desperation.

Is he gonna be on the mound opening day?
    The Cubs roster is loaded with players under team control or at the end of bad contracts. No idea who gets the start in Miami opening day.
    -

27.5 million for 34 year old Jon Lester
    21 million for Darvish
    28 million for Heyward
    16.5 million for Ben Zobrist.

93 million bucks

for that.