2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Default Re: 2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League chatter

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    how could you not
    Signing megacontracts never really works out. Are the Cubs going to sign Bryant, Rizzo, and Harper to megadeals? What about the others when it’s time to get paid? There is a lot of protection in the Nats order and his numbers are good, not great. What about egos?
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

wrong, in 2014 I said they were poised to be the best team in baseball

from 2015-2017, they won more games than any other major league club and played in 3 NLCS's and won a world series... someone isn't a homer for being right little lady. I know you're a moron, but you're not too dumb to understand the concept of being right and wrong.

owned
    This is the first I'm hearing of this.

No wait a minute it's probably the 100th or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Funny arguing with you on baseball contracts considering we both were on opposite ends of the Heyward signing at the time they made the deal. You wouldn't listen. LOL
    JavyBaez9

Timely is my bitchJoin DateAug 24, 2014Posts16,800

Re: Jason Heyward v. Yoenis Cespedes

Originally Posted by Ronaldo
    I don't disagree. But I do think most reasonable Cub fans would agree Theo's track record with big FA contracts is questionable. His other areas of franchise development have been very good.

A contract should be measured at the time of the deal. You could sign a good deal that becomes a bad one due to no fault of your own.

The Heyward deal was a good one. Not many educated baseball opinions would disagree.

Wrong again, I wanted another player over Heyward (who didn’t even work out)

But if lying to yourself to feel better is all you have, enjoy it. Pretty pathetic

EOG Dedicated

someone said it earlier...swarber to the redsox...... I could see it happening ....redsox zero power.

Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    someone said it earlier...swarber to the redsox...... I could see it happening ....redsox zero power.
    Nah Red Sox would never want to trade for the guy many scouts have compared to David Ortiz

Rumor is Cubs/Rays renewed Baez for Archer framework

Could be nonsense though, they've been linked on this 3 years in a row.

According to Comcast Bay Area, the Giants should NOT make a move to trade for Justin Hayward. Apparently he still has touring obligations with the Moody Blues.

Indians Salazar for Happ could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Heim View Post
    Indians Salazar for Happ could happen?
    Haven’t heard that one but the cubs like Salazar.

Heyman says the top three "Stanton suitors": Giants, Phillies, Cardinals. Stanton wants to play on either the west or east coast. Imagine 75-78 starts at Citizens Bank Park. How many HR's would he hit there alone?

David Ross taking over bigger role for Cubs next year... great news, would love to see him take over for Maddon sooner rather than later.

David Ross taking over bigger role for Cubs next year... great news, would love to see him take over for Maddon sooner rather than later.
    His schedule must have opened up after he was on dancing with the stars.

Rumor is Cubs/Rays renewed Baez for Archer framework

Could be nonsense though, they've been linked on this 3 years in a row.
    If the Cubs get Archer you better believe that Schwarber will be in the deal....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    If the Cubs get Archer you better believe that Schwarber will be in the deal....
    Schwarber, Happ, or Baez will be in the deal for sure.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

back to back meh years + an arm scare at the end of last year definitely sinks Archer's value a bit. Cubs don't need to overpay for him.

back to back meh years + an arm scare at the end of last year definitely sinks Archer's value a bit. Cubs don't need to overpay for him.
    Unfortunately the entire pitching market is based on overpaying. Now it comes down to how many years you can stomach, because someone will think more of the same pitcher.
    -

David Ross is linked to the Yankee managerial job.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    David Ross is linked to the Yankee managerial job.
    First Girardi, now Ross. Can Miguel Montero be far behind?

Seen a few guys list the Cubs as their favorite for Ohtani. If true, that would mean Theo would be promising him he could play LF sometimes.

Alex Cobb to Cubs seems likely... I'll take a rotation of Lester, Hendricks, Ohtani, Quintana, Cobb

I think the Yankees will get the Japanese star....

And now it seems a lock that Cobb will sign with the Cubs...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Cobb won't be enough for Cubs. Need someone better than Quintana so they don't have to rely on Quintana. He's a pussy.

Seen a few guys list the Cubs as their favorite for Ohtani. If true, that would mean Theo would be promising him he could play LF sometimes.
    Ive always thought Rangers would re-sign Darvish and Otani would sign wherever Darvish goes. I know you've said multiple times you think Darvish will sign with Dodgers which might very well happen. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Ive always thought Rangers would re-sign Darvish and Otani would sign wherever Darvish goes. I know you've said multiple times you think Darvish will sign with Dodgers which might very well happen. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
    Where did I say Darvish will sign with the Dodgers? He's going to get overpaid. IF the Dodgers were smart, they'd overpay Arrieta vs overpaying Darvish, but I don't think they are, even if you are convinced they are since they have recently hired the most sabermetric people.

But the only teams that are going to sign Darvish are the teams that have the pocketbooks to overpay people. The Dodgers have overpaid 8 starting pitchers in the last 3 years alone, so sure, they are a prime candidate.

Since money is capped, the team that gets Ohtani will likely be the one that:

1) at least has a Japanese presence in the community
    2) Convinces him that he will have a legitimate chance to earn at bats/time in LF

"A Bush in the hand is better than two in the house"

It seems the Yanks are the frontrunner for Otani, but I don"t see him getting too many at bats as a LF/ DH.

He really is better suited to play in the NL.

I doubt he is going to hit so well that he is a better option in the OF than a regular AL outfielder.I am sure any team would be happy to just have him pitch well.

No player ( I can think of ) has pitched and played a position regularly between starts, not even Babe Ruth.

I think he isn't going to be able to live up to this hype.

EOG Dedicated

espn says cubs could win 109 in 2018....easily.....article by sam miller

EOG Dedicated

He wants to play on the west coast, turning down the opportunity to play for two of the best organizations in baseball tells you all you need to know, I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want to play for either of those teams. The problem is, so far the Marlins have been asking for a ton in return, but if they're reducing payroll from 140 to 90 like they said, I don't know how they do it without moving Stanton, so they'll end up moving him for a lesser package than what they might have otherwise gotten, other teams know he's likely to be dealt, so they'll low ball the Marlins, this will end up a disaster for Miami just like the Miggy trade
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

Cardinals will be stuck behind the Cubs for quite a while as long as Theo and his team is around.

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    He wants to play on the west coast, turning down the opportunity to play for two of the best organizations in baseball tells you all you need to know, I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want to play for either of those teams. The problem is, so far the Marlins have been asking for a ton in return, but if they're reducing payroll from 140 to 90 like they said, I don't know how they do it without moving Stanton, so they'll end up moving him for a lesser package than what they might have otherwise gotten, other teams know he's likely to be dealt, so they'll low ball the Marlins, this will end up a disaster for Miami just like the Miggy trade
    The main reason teams are lowballing Miami is the contract, another big FU to the Miami fans. It’s very backloaded, and he knew he wasn’t going to be around to pay Stanton. The last seven years, someone is going to shell out over $30 mil/year. If Miami ownership doesn’t want to pay some of it, they won’t get much in return.
    -

Stanton has injury history as well. Staying healthy one year for once doesn't exactly erase the concerns.

“If you ever want to position a franchise economically to be where they are, they may have increased their franchise value by a billion dollars in three or four years,” Boras said at the general managers meetings. “And they have a new TV contract coming up, and they have this amazing group of everyday players who are young and gifted. They have all these choices. … The amount of money that’s rolling in, the revenues annually and in the future, the Cubs can do whatever they choose to do in this free-agent market and the next ones.
    “And to not have championship pitchers on your team? There aren’t many of them. There are (none) with the championship numbers of Jake Arrieta in this market. We know that. And we have seen what great talents do in the postseason. Some do very, very well. … And others in that environment, with great ability, do not do anything near that. Always in this game you have to seek and pay for value, and the goal is to win now. This is a now-winning team.”

-- Scott Boras

-----------------------------------

Hate the guy, but he's absolutely right.

EOG Dedicated

Cardinals will be stuck behind the Cubs for quite a while as long as Theo and his team is around.

agree