Should the NFL do away with Thursday Night Football?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the NFL do away with Thursday Night Football?

Default Should the NFL do away with Thursday Night Football?

The athletes have a point...wear and tear on their bodies are taking a toll....injuries are mounting up....they say it is very difficult to travel on Monday and play Thursday.....I would like to see Thursday games get eliminated...sad to see Richard Sherman go down last night as well as a couple others....
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

Default Re: Should NFL Football be done away with on Thursday Niight?

Nope. Richard Sherman getting hurt is a positive.

Just Drawn This Way Squarepants's Avatar

Yes . . . unless they can set it up where both teams have their bye week the prior week.

Two well-rested and prepared teams vs. the opposite as to one or both teams.

Great marquee contests in prime time rather than crap.
    Never confuse price with value, consensus with wisdom, or conformity with courage.

EOG Dedicated

Yes, it's a joke to force these guys to play with such little rest after the pounding they put their bodies through
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase

ratings are bad enough

take away another night and the NFL would really be feeling it

Take away Thursday and reap the rewards of a better product on the field on weekends....

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo Dinosaur View Post
    Take away Thursday and reap the rewards of a better product on the field on weekends....
    I would argue that the London games fuck teams up both during the games in London and then the weeks following far more than playing Thursday games.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    I would argue that the London games fuck teams up both during the games in London and then the weeks following far more than playing Thursday games.
    You would lose that argument

I dont think dropping thursday because of injuries makes sense, it's a short week, but after that they have extra recovery time. I think NFL players have never had it so good, the game is far less rough than it used to be with all the rule changes, they dont practice like they used to(either pre season or mid season), and they have better care than ever before. They're whining little baby's IMO.

Should NFL Football be done away with................YES.....it sucks

maybe I'm just a goddam dummy who is clueless, but how come none of the teams who always used to play on Thanksgiving day games, never used to bitch about playing those games? How come? Before the advent of these Thursday games, you never used to hear a goddam boo out of any player, moaning and groaning about how to play Thursday Thanksgiving games? Now everyone bitches about it. They are playing what, one extra Thursday a year, AND getting extra rest out of it. I'm sick and tired of hearing players whine.....ENOUGH!

you people bitching about getting rid of the Thursday night games, are the 1st ones, with your goddam pepsi's and chips in hand, eager to hear what Nantz and Romo have to say when the game starts. Let's stop bitching, we all goddam love football, and we'd all watch it 7 goddam football days a week if we could.

EOG Dedicated

when you could bet at the 7-11 and the supermarket all over the country it will gold jerry gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post
    Yes . . . unless they can set it up where both teams have their bye week the prior week.

Two well-rested and prepared teams vs. the opposite as to one or both teams.

Great marquee contests in prime time rather than crap.
    Exactly this. And it's very doable by expanding the season by a week or 2. Another benefit, it will get the Super Bowl to President's day weekend, where that Monday will be a National Holiday, something the NFL has wanted to do for years.

Blog Entries

I watch college football on Thursday

Default Re: Should the NFL do away with Thursday Niight Football?

Big Ben the latest to say get rid of Thursday Night....I really expect the NFL to agree....the contract with NBC expires after the season...

Only way to keep it is to add a second bye week. With Cbs likely not renewing their contract, and Nbc not far behind. The games will likely be buried on the league owned NFL net. Revenue will be lost, as I highly doubt Abc approves Espn picking up half the schedule and Fox is not interested.

This league got ruined when they took away defenses ability to hit ...targeting penalties, hits to the head, defenseless receivers, can't hit a QB below the waist (or touch his helmet), concussions, ...etc.

NFL is more worried about future lawsuits from players suffering brain damage than the current lousy product.

Have them sign a waiver and put the old rules back in place. It will never happen so we are left with Arena football. I turned on Netflix last night at the end of the 3rd Q...NFL is a snoozefest.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownJoe View Post
    This league got ruined when they took away defenses ability to hit ...targeting penalties, hits to the head, defenseless receivers, can't hit a QB below the waist (or touch his helmet), concussions, ...etc.

NFL is more worried about future lawsuits from players suffering brain damage than the current lousy product.

Have them sign a waiver and put the old rules back in place. It will never happen so we are left with Arena football. I turned on Netflix last night at the end of the 3rd Q...NFL is a snoozefest.
    Too many teams running out QBs that are not worth a crap....like Cutler last night.....

EOG Dedicated

Too many Lib's in the NFL,ruined the sport.All soft pussies who are worried about the concussion myth,anti-American bastards as well

Too many teams running out QBs that are not worth a crap....like Cutler last night.....
    Agree VD, when you have Savage, Stanton, Osweiler, CJ Beathard, Cutler ...etc. leading teams the quality of play is bound to be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownJoe View Post
    Agree VD, when you have Savage, Stanton, Osweiler, CJ Beathard, Cutler ...etc. leading teams the quality of play is bound to be awful.
    Dolphins lose 63-0 last night with Matt Moore, who some would have considered a top tier backup just a few short weeks ago.

The blame is not on the QBs, it's on the fact that most teams do not have functioning offenses schematically. They need certain amounts of time protection wise to function and the offensive line can't provide that time.

Yes, Thurs Nite FB sucks.

The window that is better is the early Sunday morning. If they played a weekly game in England/Germany (10am EST), I'd be cool with that. If that meant dropping Thursday, that's great.

Dolphins lose 63-0 last night with Matt Moore, who some would have considered a top tier backup just a few short weeks ago.

The blame is not on the QBs, it's on the fact that most teams do not have functioning offenses schematically. They need certain amounts of time protection wise to function and the offensive line can't provide that time.
    That INT by Cutler right before the half was BRUTAL...no way can you sugarcoat that...and most of his TD passes are thrown in garbage time...Gase better look at himself in the mirror....

That INT by Cutler right before the half was BRUTAL...no way can you sugarcoat that...and most of his TD passes are thrown in garbage time...Gase better look at himself in the mirror....
    But surely you understand that the Dolphins are not on Cutler, not even a little bit. The team lost 40-0 without him to a mediocre team.

The problem is with bad offenses, not with bad quarterbacks. Even a mediocre to bad QB can look okay in a competent offense. Half of the league's teams look like a shit show offensively and are overmatched by the defenses. That's the problem.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

But surely you understand that the Dolphins are not on Cutler, not even a little bit. The team lost 40-0 without him to a mediocre team.

The problem is with bad offenses, not with bad quarterbacks. Even a mediocre to bad QB can look okay in a competent offense. Half of the league's teams look like a shit show offensively and are overmatched by the defenses. That's the problem.
    Thats what happens when kids leave early from college. Kizer and Trubisky only started one year in college, now are paid millions to start in the NFL. Rookie QBs rarely played even 10years ago.

javy, you are not giving Cutler any blame for last night?
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Getting rid of it would be a move in the right direction for the league.

what you contemplate you imitate scrimmage's Avatar

Sports fans need a break too,NFL is the king on Sunday,the other days of their season have plenty of other things going on from MLB to college foots + b-ball,NBA,NHL,etc;a Monday night game,Thanksgiving,& a few late season Saturdays are enough extra doses for most.The NFL needs to focus on their strength,own Sunday,and make that day special again...

No I love Thursday nite gms

Quote Originally Posted by mr merlin View Post
    I dont think dropping thursday because of injuries makes sense, it's a short week, but after that they have extra recovery time. I think NFL players have never had it so good, the game is far less rough than it used to be with all the rule changes, they dont practice like they used to(either pre season or mid season), and they have better care than ever before. They're whining little baby's IMO.
    Your way off here. The players are bigger, stronger, faster than they have ever been. Never had it so good? Give me a break. You’re out of touch if you seriously feel this way.

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Thats what happens when kids leave early from college. Kizer and Trubisky only started one year in college, now are paid millions to start in the NFL. Rookie QBs rarely played even 10years ago.

javy, you are not giving Cutler any blame for last night?
    Eh, Cutler is 4-4 as the Dolphins starter this year.

With this roster, I don't think you could expect much better. Maybe Rodgers/Brady go 5-3 with the roster, who knows, this team is going nowhere with anyone.

Speaking of Trubisky, I think the kid has proven he can be a game manager with a competent offense and elite defense. Throwing for 300 yards and not throwing it away with this garbage receiving crew is impressive when you consider what Glennon was doing with it.

Eh, Cutler is 4-4 as the Dolphins starter this year.

With this roster, I don't think you could expect much better. Maybe Rodgers/Brady go 5-3 with the roster, who knows, this team is going nowhere with anyone.

Speaking of Trubisky, I think the kid has proven he can be a game manager with a competent offense and elite defense. Throwing for 300 yards and not throwing it away with this garbage receiving crew is impressive when you consider what Glennon was doing with it.
    The Dolphins are at the bottom of the league in point differential.....4-4 is misleading.....

This thread has nothing to do with Trubisky...

Just Drawn This Way Squarepants's Avatar

Have seen it debated whether there actually is a higher incidence of injuries in the ThNF game.

For me, it's the poor quality games where one or both teams are woefully unprepared to play at a high level.

Whether it's his personal fault or not, the Goodell years have been marked by declining quality of the on-field product.

With this current CBA, the prep and practice time is so minimal in comparison to prior CBAs that it's harder to put a quality product on the field, including on Sundays.

But some of these ThNF games are just egregiously bad.

I'm with Jerry Jones on ditching the current commissioner and using that personnel change as the catalyst to change the direction of the league.

Excellence matters.
    Never confuse price with value, consensus with wisdom, or conformity with courage.

SportsOptions/Line up with the pros

Default Re: Should the NFL do away with Thursday Night Football?

Purely as a fan I love Thursday night football, I won't lie. Wish there was a way to add a Tuesday night game.

An unrelated point, Im amazed at how many fans can spot the difference in play from a Sunday to a Thursday.

I believe they can do it, I have a hard time seeing if the defense is terrible, the offense was just extra prepared, or vice versa.

In short, the on field play between Thursday and Sunday seems interchangeable to me.