www.gabewins.com

Default Herm Edwards now coach at Arizona State

Thoughts?

Drink loves pizza and handkerchiefs JavyBaez9's Avatar

Default Re: Herm Edwards now coach at Arizona State

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Thoughts?
    Their fans better get used to lots of deadly dull, uncreative, conservative Football, with lots of running.

www.gabewins.com

This is my thought

ASU Ad Ray Anderson used to be Herm's agent when he coached in the NFL. And now he hires him as his head football coach at ASU. I wonder if Ray Ray still gets 6%.

Gotta love the NCAA. Unapologetic hypocrisy.

TYVM Morgan William!!! winkyduck's Avatar

This has the makings of a big-time complete disaster. I will be shocked if he has any success here at all. I understand both sides reaching out to the other but I don't see any way this ends in a good way
    The mind is a terrible thing to waste unless we are talking about the MORONS who post at Covers where the collective Sports Gambling IQ for the ENTIRE site is.................4!!! and even that might be too high

I'm a lifelong Sun Devil fan and alum. I along with the rest of the fan base are totally up in arms over this hire. Edwards is 63-hasn't coached in ten years-only coached in college in the late 80s as an assistant. The prevailing thought is this nothing more than a crony hire by Ray Anderson who used to be his agent as mentioned above. Up until ASU hired Andrerson he was 2nd in charge behind Goodell in the commissioners office. Somehow Anderson thinks he can take some sort of NFL model and apply it to a middling college program. If Anderson really wants ASU to compete on par with USC like he says then he needs to get some bag men in place like the rest of the college blue bloods to get legitimate talent. It's not a secret all the top schools cheat but the NCAA selectively decides which schools they will punish and which schools they'll look the other way on. At least ASU finally has a decent hoops squad but it will be short lived once Hurley leaves for a better school at the end of the season. Sorry-I had to vent a bit-done with my rant.

EOG Dedicated

good hire,he will do well

Quote Originally Posted by michael777 View Post
    good hire,he will do well
    I wish I shared your optimism. Why do you like the hire?

I'm a wait and see guy. On the surface, don't like it for many of the reasons mentioned.

Outside the box thinking here for sure. Hire a head coach who is more like a CEO. Give FAR more responsibility/credit to the coordinators.

In the end, its usually all about recruiting. If Herm can recruit and has solid coordinators, he will win. Simple as that.

I watched the ASU hoop team here in Las Vegas and I was impressed with the moxie and fearlessness of little guards Remy Martin, Shannon Evans and Tra Holder.

Tra holder played for coach isaacs

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    I'm a wait and see guy. On the surface, don't like it for many of the reasons mentioned.

Outside the box thinking here for sure. Hire a head coach who is more like a CEO. Give FAR more responsibility/credit to the coordinators.

In the end, its usually all about recruiting. If Herm can recruit and has solid coordinators, he will win. Simple as that.
    Outside the box hire for sure. My favorite quote I've heard is... not only is it outside the box-it's outside the room that the box is in.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    I watched the ASU hoop team here in Las Vegas and I was impressed with the moxie and fearlessness of little guards Remy Martin, Shannon Evans and Tra Holder.
    Agreed-they're fun to watch. They actually made Xavier give up in the second half in Vegas. Devils get Ohio St transfer forward Mickie Joseph and this years top recruit Kimani Lawrence (foot injury) back soon to help for front court depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Outside the box hire for sure. My favorite quote I've heard is... not only is it outside the box-it's outside the room that the box is in.
    Jake Plummer and Juan Roque went on Doug and Wolf this morning and blasted those who are super critical of the move. Both are completely on board with what's going on and very vocal with the support.

That's not to mention several other successful ASU Alumn who flew in on their own dime for the press conference. Among them Randall McDaniel and Eric Allen.

Like I said, Im a wait and see guy and try not to be too critical until things play out. This could be a complete disaster or it could have shades of Dick Vermeil coming back to coach after being out of the game 13 years. And just so happened to win a Super Bowl.

In any case, Go Devils!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Agreed-they're fun to watch. They actually made Xavier give up in the second half in Vegas. Devils get Ohio St transfer forward Mickie Joseph and this years top recruit Kimani Lawrence (foot injury) back soon to help for front court depth.
    That was a great game for ASU....sure showed me something about them....and Holder look very very good as well
    When you're winning stack up, when you're losing back up....
    Gabe if you're not going to post ALL your plays on the website why not post them ALL in ONE thread and let people know where that is?

Jake Plummer and Juan Roque went on Doug and Wolf this morning and blasted those who are super critical of the move. Both are completely on board with what's going on and very vocal with the support.

That's not to mention several other successful ASU Alumn who flew in on their own dime for the press conference. Among them Randall McDaniel and Eric Allen.

Like I said, Im a wait and see guy and try not to be too critical until things play out. This could be a complete disaster or it could have shades of Dick Vermeil coming back to coach after being out of the game 13 years. And just so happened to win a Super Bowl.

In any case, Go Devils!!
    FORKS UP!!!'

ASU may bet that folk with uncle herm coaching..lol

Herm is named as a coach in the Under Armour HS All American game here in Orlando on Jan 4. Hope he's still on board. Got free tix so gonna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rdalert447 View Post
    Herm is named as a coach in the Under Armour HS All American game here in Orlando on Jan 4. Hope he's still on board. Got free tix so gonna check it out.
    He's been coaching that game for like the past 8 years. He has connections with big time HS programs.

Great. I like Herm.

As an acting college HC I don't believe he's allowed to continue to be involved as a coach for that game per NCAA rules.

Maybe they’ll sub in Boomer. Plank’s buddy. If a guy like Gruden gets it, tearing up the tickets.

EOG Dedicated

I like watching edwards at the post game when reporters are drilling him questions.... he is not mora though ( a good laugh )

Maybe they’ll sub in Boomer. Plank’s buddy. If a guy like Gruden gets it, tearing up the tickets.
    Aren't you more interested in seeing the best HS players in the country and predicting who the next big time players will be rather than a coach on the sideline that really doesn't care if he wins or not?

I hope you go to the game-take notes-post which players caught your eye.

I think it's a blast to watch HS players and put on an amateur scouting hat

Lol. Yes, I am. Just exaggerating. I like Herm, dislike Gruden, but would go either way.

Lol. Yes, I am. Just exaggerating. I like Herm, dislike Gruden, but would go either way.
    Right on-like I said I hope you take some notes and post your impressions here-it's always fun to look back on a few years later

EOG Dedicated

I think recruiting in football is overrated. You do not really know what a 16 or 17 year old kid is going to be like in a couple of years. It what you do with them once in the program. Alabama recruits from same pool as other SEC schools, they turn boys into monster football players. Character and family most important.

Quote Originally Posted by unluckysob View Post
    I think recruiting in football is overrated. You do not really know what a 16 or 17 year old kid is going to be like in a couple of years. It what you do with them once in the program. Alabama recruits from same pool as other SEC schools, they turn boys into monster football players. Character and family most important.
    I disagree. Take a look at the yearly individual recruiting rankings on scout.com or rivals. There is a very impressive correlation between those ranking and the NFL draft. Of course there's always going to be guys who fall through the cracks but I'm a believer in the old saying "it's not about X's and O's but more the Jimmy's and Joes".

I do agree with you that character is important but since this is an ASU thread let's use 2 Devils players as examples. The best Devils in the NFL at the moment are Burfict and Suggs (also the 2 highest ranked HS players who committed to ASU in the last 20 years) but both of their characters go way below what anybody would consider questionable.

www.gabewins.com

Quote Originally Posted by unluckysob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Nailed it without having to say a single word

EOG Dedicated

This could be a complete disaster or it could have shades of Dick Vermeil coming back to coach after being out of the game 13 years. And just so happened to win a Super Bowl.
    Loved Vermeil, smart, emotionally involved, and a workaholic. Went 54-47 SU over 7 years with the Eagles and then 15 years later went 22-26 with the Rams (had two horrid rebuilding years before the SB year), subsequently went 44-36 with the Chiefs when he was in his mid to late sixties. Was career 6-5 in playoff games.

OTOH, I ranked Edwards as one of the worst NFL coaches in modern times, a not so bad 39-41 with the Jets, but then 15-33 with the Chiefs. Lots of time-management blunders along the way. Was career 2-4 in playoff games. Saved from being the dumbest coach in Jets history by Richie Kotite who was by far the worst with a 4-28 record with the Jets.

So we shall see, and with that I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ComptrBob View Post
    Loved Vermeil, smart, emotionally involved, and a workaholic. Went 54-47 SU over 7 years with the Eagles and then 15 years later went 22-26 with the Rams (had two horrid rebuilding years before the SB year), subsequently went 44-36 with the Chiefs when he was in his mid to late sixties. Was career 6-5 in playoff games.

OTOH, I ranked Edwards as one of the worst NFL coaches in modern times, a not so bad 39-41 with the Jets, but then 15-33 with the Chiefs. Lots of time-management blunders along the way. Was career 2-4 in playoff games. Saved from being the dumbest coach in Jets history by Richie Kotite who was by far the worst with a 4-28 record with the Jets.

So we shall see, and with that I agree with you.
    Whether or not you are a successful HC in the NFL has a lot to do with circumstances beyond your control. For example, who your QB is.

Bill Belichick and Pete Carrol both failed their first time around.

I like Herm. He's never been a college HC. Perhaps he's better suited for it then the NFL. I'm cautiously optimistic.