My Take on Some Recent Football Hits

Thread: My Take on Some Recent Football Hits

Default My Take on Some Recent Football Hits

1)Gronk's Hit on Tre'davious White- Gronk should be suspended for 5 games. That was a blatantly dirty, non game related hit, with a clear intent to injure another player, after the play was over. Pussy move to only suspend him one game. Ridiculous that he's going to appeal, and more ridiculous if he wins his appeal.

2)Tonight's hit on Burfict by Schuster- I hate that this is even a penalty. The taunting, yeah, that wasn't cool, but I hate that that's a penalty also. The hit itself was a great, IMO, Clean Football hit, that we used to(and still should) love. It was a vicious hit to his chest, while a play was going on. Not from behind. Not after the play. That's a decleater. It's one of the reasons we love(d) Football, and it's sad that it's no longer allowed, and in fact, penalized and blasted by the announcers.

3)The Hit in the endzone on Antonio Brown's TD Catch- See #2. A great attempt by the Bengals DB's to try and shake the ball loose from Brown. I just cannot stand the Penalty for hitting a "defenseless Player". Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, John Lynch, and many other HOF caliber safeties rode those type of hits into Hall of Fame careers. Again, it's what we love(d) about the game.

Default Re: My Take on Some Recent Football Hits

gronks hit was pathetic, that clown deserved more than a one game suspension

hit on burifict was a cheap shot

Totally clean play. The Taunting sucked, but sometimes when you make a great play, you want to tell your opponent about it.

This, OTOH, warranted a long suspension. Gronk should be lucky that he's playing another game this season.

Schuster standing over Burfict following the vicious collision was a low-class move.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Schuster standing over Burfict following the vicious collision was a low-class move.
    Very much agree. What about the hit itself though? What's your opinion on that?

Not an NFL rules expert.

And I only saw the play from a distance.

I like the idea of protecting defenseless players, no matter their position on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuesser View Post
    Totally clean play. The Taunting sucked, but sometimes when you make a great play, you want to tell your opponent about it.
    That is a vile helmet to helmet hit but vontaze burfict is a vile player. I am surprised there arent more darryl stingleys in the nfl. If something like that tatum hit against stingley happens this sport is going to end up being something like the cfl. burfict is a miserable player as well

we gotta protect quarterbacks though.lol

Has a qb ever ended up like darryl stingley?

<br>

I saw a recent commercial ("Heads Up Football") featuring Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin teaching the fundamentals of tackling.

Apparently Schuster failed to listen to Tomlin's lessons.

I should say that the hit that left stingley a quadriplegic wasnt helmet to helmet , it was just a cheap shot

This was beautiful. And unpenalized. It's one of the reasons Hines Ward was one of my favorite players. I've always been a fan of clean, hard hitting, while the play is going on. No different than what Smith-Schuster did(minus the foolish taunting). Except no yellow flags.

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Agree that Gronk should have been tossed for the rest of the season.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Kane LOVES handkerchiefs n' pizza JavyBaez9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Agree that Gronk should have been tossed for the rest of the season.
    nah

unless Charles Martin, Albert Haynesworth, and Suh got lifetime bans that I missed.

I saw a recent commercial ("Heads Up Football") featuring Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin teaching the fundamentals of tackling.

Well, his teammate had the ball, so I doubt he was thinking about tackling.
    "David is aware of this thread and he's disappointed about the developments."

should be 15 and 15, taunting was dead ball.

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    should be 15 and 15, taunting was dead ball.
    Correct.

Was a horribly officiated game. Phantom holding call took away a Cinci touchdown.

EOG Dedicated

I heard Shazier still can't move his legs, but has regained a little feeling in them, really hoping he's okay, very scary watching it happen live
    It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase

No doubt the Shuster Smith hit on Burfict was payback for Burfict's hit two years ago.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    No doubt the Shuster Smith hit on Burfict was payback for Burfict's hit two years ago.
    Burfict is one of the dirtiest players in the league, it's hard to garner any sympathy for him considering how many cheap shots he's doled out, he's always been dirty going back to his ASU days
    It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Burfict is one of the dirtiest players in the league, it's hard to garner any sympathy for him considering how many cheap shots he's doled out, he's always been dirty going back to his ASU days
    going back to Cen10 high in corona. where he committed to usc initiall

Hard to believe Burfict was an undrafted free agent out of Arizona State and a Pro Bowler one season later.

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Yes, he is a dirty player. I know of at least two separate three game suspensions since he has been with the Bengals. But that didn't make the other hit OK. I see Shuster Smith got a one gamer handed down today.

JK, Shazier got hurt attempting to injure Cincy receiver. Antonio Brown calls this karma. I think the Steelers teach this style of play. That said, I hope Shazier does not have lasting injury and can return to play with lesson learned.

Agree Don, Steelers have been and are one of the dirtiest teams in the league. Not much talk about Gronk after last nights game.

Shazier underwent spinal stabilization surgery on Wednesday, so he isn't out of the woods, by any means.