Cubs sign Yu Darvish to long term deal LOL - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cubs sign Yu Darvish to long term deal LOL

EOG Veteran

Default Re: Cubs sign Yu Darvish to long term deal LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FairWarning View Post
    Sounds like me after shoveling snow all weekend.

I got people for that LOL

(I still do for a couple old folk tho)

Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    I got people for that LOL

(I still do for a couple old folk tho)
    I do too, but they don’t do the little stuff.

theo seen packing his bags..... last time this happened he was leaving boston when things went bad

twitter

Who knows, he may be a freak of nature like Maddux. There may be some doubt with Arrieta concerning the past training habits. Other teams have to be asking the same questions if the Cubs signed Yu over Jake.
    I would've preferred Jake at 4 years. If Darvish's only problem is tipping pitches, that can be fixed. My concern is in 6 seasons since he got to the US, he has topped 150 innings only three times (and only once after 2013). Maybe he lives up to the contract the first few years but the back end could be a big problem.

EOG Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    theo seen packing his bags..... last time this happened he was leaving boston when things went bad

twitter

Hobby gonna call you names, throw some sabermetrics at you, bang his bony ribs and beat you with his keyboard.

It's coming.

oh yeah

you gettin crushed

errybody dukk

no more than 4 years.

5&6 ???

I hate the new math of Darvish will suck in years 5-6 but we need him now since there is a 4-year window to win. WTF logic is that? I doubt he has a WAR of 4+ in more than 2 of those years.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    I would've preferred Jake at 4 years. If Darvish's only problem is tipping pitches, that can be fixed.
    Was that ever substantiated? If so I agree, that can be fixed.

That's high school stuff though, very surprising if true with as many innings as he's thrown in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McIrish View Post
    Was that ever substantiated? If so I agree, that can be fixed.

That's high school stuff though, very surprising if true with as many innings as he's thrown in the bigs.
    Yes, Houston players talked about it after the WS. Players tip pitches for a number of reasons.
    Michael Jordan isn't anywhere near as athletic as lebron James. Jordan wouldn't even be a top 20 athlete in the game right now in his prime. - Cleveland Homer Big Deemer
    -

Yes, Houston players talked about it after the WS. Players tip pitches for a number of reasons.
    That's sad coming from an experienced vet pitching on the biggest stage in the world.

What exactly was he doing, any word?

That's sad coming from an experienced vet pitching on the biggest stage in the world.

What exactly was he doing, any word?
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/12/11/do...-series-astros
    -

I just pitched in HS, a small backwoods one at that, but tipping pitches is one of the first things we learned.

I'm sure there's more to it but pretty much aware of how we were gripping the baseball and same arm motion (on changes and so on)........

How else would a seasoned veteran of the major leagues tip pitches?

I just pitched in HS, a small backwoods one at that, but tipping pitches is one of the first things we learned.

I'm sure there's more to it but pretty much aware of how we were gripping the baseball and same arm motion (on changes and so on)........

anything from hiding a shoulder/elbow injury to pitching with a oncoming blister, to a dead arm.
    -

anything from hiding a shoulder/elbow injury to pitching with a oncoming blister, to a dead arm.

Okay, I didn't realize those things were considered tipping pitches.....

I got the wrong idea of what you were saying.

To me tipping pitches meant a pitcher giving the hitters an early indication of what kind of pitch was coming.

Carry on.

Okay, I didn't realize those things were considered tipping pitches.....

I got the wrong idea of what you were saying.

To me tipping pitches meant a pitcher giving the hitters an early indication of what kind of pitch was coming.

Carry on.
    You're right also. Some can spot if the pitcher is fiddling with the grip in his glove. If so, its probably some sort of offspeed pitch.
    -

You're right also. Some can spot if the pitcher is fiddling with the grip in his glove. If so, its probably some sort of offspeed pitch.

Exactly. And some keen eyed 3rd base coaches will pick up on this sort of stuff very quickly.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Cubs are in win now mode. Theyre going to spend alot to do so. I applaud it. Could you imagine being a A's fan?!
    Its not like Darvish was going to take 3, 4 years when he can get 6 of gauranteed cash. Milwaukee and St. Louis are making moves and spending and becoming competetive.
    Cubs have a great rotation probably top 5 without this move I had them outside top 10. They needed one big arm. Chatwood is solid, quintana is probably the best 4 in the NL.

If you dont like Darvish good news for you I think you get +150 or more 90% of the time on all home starts.
    I think Morrow being the closer, strop, edwards setup is a bit scary. No true leadoff hitter and a s&M type of manager are cubs problems imho. Regardless theyre chalk to win the central at about 40 cents more than they were friday Id guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Drnkyourmlkshk View Post
    I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Cubs are in win now mode. Theyre going to spend alot to do so. I applaud it. Could you imagine being a A's fan?!
    Its not like Darvish was going to take 3, 4 years when he can get 6 of gauranteed cash. Milwaukee and St. Louis are making moves and spending and becoming competetive.
    Cubs have a great rotation probably top 5 without this move I had them outside top 10. They needed one big arm. Chatwood is solid, quintana is probably the best 4 in the NL.

If you dont like Darvish good news for you I think you get +150 or more 90% of the time on all home starts.
    I think Morrow being the closer, strop, edwards setup is a bit scary. No true leadoff hitter and a s&M type of manager are cubs problems imho. Regardless theyre chalk to win the central at about 40 cents more than they were friday Id guess.
    Not disagreeing with your logic but why cripple your team in 2022-23? If others want to do it, let them.
    -

Kane LOVES handkerchiefs n' pizza JavyBaez9's Avatar

Projected zips WAR by staff:

Cubs rotation: 17.2
    Dodgers rotation: 15.1
    Nationals rotation: 15.0

Cubs have 4 pitchers projected for 3.2 WAR or better. No other NL team has more than 2.

This will interest some and won’t matter to others, but there’s an interesting fangraphs article that suggests Darvish has just scratched the surface of his potential. Something id blame on Arlington more than anything, but we will see what Hickey has in store for him.

Not disagreeing with your logic but why cripple your team in 2022-23? If others want to do it, let them.
    Cubs can spend even with bad contracts on the books. Most long term deals are good for half the deal and overpays for the other half.

Again, the Lester deal is a bad one if you isolate the next 3 years, but you don’t have a title if you don’t do it. If the cubs win a title in the next 3 years and he’s a part of it, you grade the Darvish deal as a success.

Hell, teams like the Yankees and dodgers and Red Sox have 10 or 11 bad deals on the books usually. Cubs can’t afford that many but they can afford some.

let's look at the starters:

1 darvish
    2 qintana
    3 fester
    4 hendrix

not bad at all

1st place - favorite

Im a die hard red sox fan. Ill take Darvish you guys can have Price. The free agency market sucks. If you could get Darvish at 4 years they would have Im sure. If they don't do you really think the brewers, yanks wouldn't have paid for 5 years? I loathe the cubs but theyre spending to win now right or wrong I like that personally.

Cubs offered Price 161 million dollars is what many forget and lost by 60 million.

The price of pitching has come down a lot, if anything, is what this deal shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Go fuck yourself pig, hopefully you catch a bullet one day

Im a die hard red sox fan. Ill take Darvish you guys can have Price. The free agency market sucks. If you could get Darvish at 4 years they would have Im sure. If they don't do you really think the brewers, yanks wouldn't have paid for 5 years? I loathe the cubs but theyre spending to win now right or wrong I like that personally.
    I've seen their other ways of doing it for many years, with mainly bad results. It is nice to see them add talent, even though I'm not totally sold on it.
    -

Darvish throws so many different pitches; that could be part of the problem. Don't need six different pitches.

I don't think anyone is saying Darvish will be bad. It was basically him or Arrieta, who knows how to pitch in Wrigley and was a huge part of their recent success. But I believe over the next 5 years Jake will clearly make more starts (and quality starts).

I wonder if there was something going on between Arrieta and the Cubs. He pretty much had his mind on free agency long ago.

Im a die hard red sox fan. Ill take Darvish you guys can have Price.
    Really? Not me.

I know Price isn't popular in Boston (mostly justified) but I still take him day or night over Darvish.

I don't think anyone is saying Darvish will be bad. It was basically him or Arrieta, who knows how to pitch in Wrigley and was a huge part of their recent success. But I believe over the next 5 years Jake will clearly make more starts (and quality starts).
    This has to be a situation where the Cubs know something that we don't have access to.

As a conspiracy theory though, Arrieta is a conservative who expressed mild support for Donald Trump, or at the very least he expressed that he was tired of whiny elitists whining about moving to Canada and Theo and Maddon are globalist liberals so maybe they wanted to go another direction because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    This has to be a situation where the Cubs know something that we don't have access to.

As a conspiracy theory though, Arrieta is a conservative who expressed mild support for Donald Trump, or at the very least he expressed that he was tired of whiny elitists whining about moving to Canada and Theo and Maddon are globalist liberals so maybe they wanted to go another direction because of that.
    Maybe you're right (about the first point). Maybe a physical issue we don't know. I know Theo is a liberal, but I have to believe winning trumps (no pun intended) anything for him.

But if someone told you a couple weeks ago that the Cubs would sign one big free agent pitcher, wouldn't you have assumed it was Arrieta? Team chemistry does matter, and he was a leader on the team.

Darvish throws so many different pitches; that could be part of the problem. Don't need six different pitches.
    Six different pitches? Geez, I didn't even know that many existed, LOL.

I agree with you though, overkill. I think 3 or 4 pitches is going to get the job done.

Change speed, location, throw them for strikes (on any count) and you got enough to get hitters out.

Fastball, change-up (bigger the difference in speed from fastball the better) and something that moves.

Maybe your right (about the first point). I know Theo is a liberal, but I have to believe winning trumps (no pun intended) anything for him.

But if someone told you a couple weeks ago that the Cubs would sign one big free agent pitcher, wouldn't you have assumed it was Arrieta? Team chemistry does matter, and he was a leader on the team.
    I gave up on Arrieta coming back around a month ago when a source I value said the Cubs and Arrieta have not been communicating at all the last few months. Think the Cubs were dead set on Darvish and then their backup plan was Cobb.

So it has to be something where they know something about his arm or just got pissed at how he and Boras were handling the negotiations last year. It'll be tough for Arrieta to get fair value from another team now I bet, since other teams will be asking the same questions as to why the Cubs weren't interested in having a playoff shut down pitcher on the roster.

I think it'd be creative to offer Arrieta 1 year 35 million just to see if he'll take it.

If he's that confident in his stuff, he should jump at the chance.

Six different pitches? Geez, I didn't even know that many existed, LOL.

I agree with you though, overkill. I think 3 or 4 pitches is going to get the job done.

Change speed, location, be able to throw them for strikes on any count and got enough variety to get hitters out.......

Fastball, change (bigger difference in speed from fastball the better) and something that moves.
    The number may have been higher at one point. I think he junked a couple, or a few were just slight deviations from other pitches. Maybe just a slightly different grip. But one could see this as a potential point for tipping pitches.

Yep, couldn't agree more.....

The way he got hit I was thinking something had to be wrong somewhere. Tipping pitches or a very sore arm.

If this theory ends up being true that would be one of the more pathetic things I've heard in a while.

Fucking politics getting in the middle of everything. GGGGrrrrrrr.....

I gave up on Arrieta coming back around a month ago when a source I value said the Cubs and Arrieta have not been communicating at all the last few months. Think the Cubs were dead set on Darvish and then their backup plan was Cobb.

So it has to be something where they know something about his arm or just got pissed at how he and Boras were handling the negotiations last year. It'll be tough for Arrieta to get fair value from another team now I bet, since other teams will be asking the same questions as to why the Cubs weren't interested in having a playoff shut down pitcher on the roster.

I think it'd be creative to offer Arrieta 1 year 35 million just to see if he'll take it.

If he's that confident in his stuff, he should jump at the chance.
    Mark Grace used to do all one year contracts. If one stays healthy, its a great way to maximize one's income. Not by choice, Kirk Cousins has been a recent example in the NFL. I also think in MLB, long term contracts put a lot of pressure on players. They try to justify their big contract, end up pressing, and production falls.

Boras sucks. I like Jake but I'm glad to see MLB sticking it to Boras this offseason, and his clients.

I have to believe the hunger to win is stronger than vetting players based on their political views. Geez.

If they do that in Tampa or anyone I root for I would be fucking pissed.

Who knows? I tend to doubt it but I could see some idiot maybe using clubhouse chemistry as an excuse......

PS - Grace was a fing hitter. Not great power but he had a sweeeeeeet swing........

Him and Rhino on the right side were great at the plate and with the leather.

Two of my favorite players at the time and I liked the Cubs no more than I like them today.