A gambler's dilemma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A gambler's dilemma

Default A gambler's dilemma

Here's a tough question for sports bettors, horseplayers and poker enthusiasts:

How do you stay positive outside the gambling arena despite painting every worst-case scenario and fearing the worst when inside the gambling world?

Sports bettors who play underdogs always think about losing to the number in overtime, horseplayers think negatively or lack confidence when spreading themselves too thin and covering too many numbers in multi-race wagers and poker players are always thinking about the number of possible cards or "outs" to get beat "on the river."

I'm a positive person by nature but gambling is tough on the psyche.

Default Re: A gambler's dilemma

Three plays today and three losers.

Failed to pull the trigger on Arrieta and/or OVER in the Phillies/Rays game.

#Snakebit

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

if you play +ROI situations long term none of that matters. just feel confident in what your doing.. if playing for action or -EV, then slow way down, it's just for fun and entertainment then.

tell yourself that but never wager enough to put your mind on tilt or over frustration and that amount might be quite a bit less than your Kelly calculator. know your brain chemistry on losses. the brain acts differently on wins. you value them much less than you hate the loss of a same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    if you play +ROI situations long term none of that matters. just feel confident in what your doing.. if playing for aciton or -EV then well slow way down its just for fun and entertainment then.

tell your self that but never wager enough to put your mind in tilt or over frustration and that amount might be quite a bit less then your Kelly calculator. know your own brain chemistry on losses. the brain different on wins you value them much less, than you hate the loss of a same amount.

Excellent advice, Try3.

Who doesn't hate to lose?

I think we're all professional competitors by nature.

Forget today, prep for tomorrow. I believe you have to eliminate all emotion from gambling...takes some of the fun out of it when winning but certainly helps when you had a day like today.

Being a pessimist is why I’d rather find value in favorites than value in underdogs.

favorites in baseball are 118-80. If you bet 500 on every dog, you are -7260.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayden11 View Post
    Forget today, prep for tomorrow. I believe you have to eliminate all emotion from gambling...takes some of the fun out of it when winning but certainly helps when you had a day like today.

I'll take your advice.

Feel the Pacers +6.5 is Sunday's best play.

I'll sit stonefaced through the entire 48-minute game.

Forget today, prep for tomorrow is an excellent line.

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post

The underdogs in Major League Baseball are waiting for, you guessed it, the dog days of summer.

How far can you go back, I'd be curious what the data shows over the past 2 years. Big fan of the medium sized baseball dog especially when you feel you're getting the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    if you play +ROI situations long term none of that matters. just feel confident in what your doing.. if playing for aciton or -EV then well slow way down its just for fun and entertainment then.

tell your self that but never wager enough to put your mind in tilt or over frustration and that amount might be quite a bit less then your Kelly calculator. know your own brain chemistry on losses. the brain different on wins you value them much less, than you hate the loss of a same amount.
    "positive roi longterm" is a nice phrase, but a crutch phrase for many morons that are delusional of actually having a positive roi.

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    "positive roi longterm" is a nice phrase, but a crutch phrase for many morons that are delusional of actually having a positive roi.
    very true

Stop trying to pick winners. Play numbers. It's a math game.

-FH-

Birdie delivered a great line last year when saying, "Stay positive in your gambling approach but think negative when handicapping the games."

Betting against teams in turmoil, finding injuries no one else knows about, contradicting the mainstream narrative, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Diablo View Post

-FH-

The approach works great if you think the market is an efficient one.

NFL, check...NBA, check...but I'm not sure I'd trust any other sport.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    The approach works great if you think the market is an efficient one.

NFL, check...NBA, check...but I'm not sure I'd trust any other sport.
    MLB no check?

MLB no check?
    MLB definitely a CHECK.

Same weather in Chicago tomorrow for the cubs game. Pitchers looked very uncomfortable today. Chatwood looks very uncomfortable in perfect weather. So naturally he will throw a gem tomorrow.

MLB definitely a CHECK.
    Id say so.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyBaez9 View Post
    Same weather in Chicago tomorrow for the cubs game. Pitchers looked very uncomfortable today. Chatwood looks very uncomfortable in perfect weather. So naturally he will throw a gem tomorrow.
    Lot of pitchers who rely on breaking stuff don't like pitching in the cold, loss of feel. Hated playing in the 30 degree spring days of Wisconsin as a youngster.

How far can you go back, I'd be curious what the data shows over the past 2 years. Big fan of the medium sized baseball dog especially when you feel you're getting the best of it.

Sports database goes back like 10 years. You can search almost any scenario on that site. It is quite a tool.

Trust me, playing dogs has not been profitable in any sport, but baseball has probably been the worst.

Gamblers need to get rid of these preconceived notions of " home dogs" or "medium favorites"
    Etc.

The problem is all you hear are shitty touts so we are stuck with these shitty trains of thought.

I stopped listening to gambling pods for this reason.
    "Once you in it, you in it. If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie, but we gotta fight"
    -Slim Charles (also the new motto of pregame.com)

-FH-
    FH has no choice but to say this, he is a non handicapper. He is a mentally ill slot player like steve paddock and mark brigida

Lot of pitchers who rely on breaking stuff don't like pitching in the cold, loss of feel. Hated playing in the 30 degree spring days of Wisconsin as a youngster.
    Doesn’t help theyve made the balls slicker, lots of pitchers have complained of different seems last few years.

Fuck manfred

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    Sports database goes back like 10 years. You can search almost any scenario on that site. It is quite a tool.

Trust me, playing dogs has not been profitable in any sport, but baseball has probably been the worst.

Gamblers need to get rid of these preconceived notions of " home dogs" or "medium favorites"
    Etc.

The problem is all you hear are shitty touts so we are stuck with these shitty trains of thought.

I stopped listening to gambling pods for this reason.

I would disagree that there's no value in playing dogs, plenty of subsets will be profitable.

was all in pre flop twice last night

AQ vs. A2
    AK vs. KJ

lost both

fuk gambling
    The real women sport expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

AQ vs. A2
    AK vs. KJ

lost both

fuk gambling
    Thats variance. I'd play those hands all day long with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

AQ vs. A2
    AK vs. KJ

lost both

fuk gambling

Thanks for checking in, Sleepy.

Bad beats in poker are tough to stomach.

If you bet to win 500 on every favorite - how did it turn out after the juice?

FH has no choice but to say this, he is a non handicapper. He is a mentally ill slot player like steve paddock and mark brigida
    Of course he is a non-handicapper. That's not his element whatsoever.

I'll stop short at calling him mentally ill though. I have no idea on that. Just as good of a chance at that as the rest of us.

It is a numbers game if you want to show a profit. It's a grind. You can win long term doing that and staying disciplined. What a boring fucking gambling life though...

Who is Mark Brigida?

Aint no big deal, you'll get em tomorrow.

What i have found is that your absolute best, hottest streak is often followed by a huge debacle, and each time it happens you say, "I wont let that happen next time". And when you're running bad, it's just a matter of time before it changes, you just have to have the cash to ride it out.

When winning at the racetrack, I'll sometimes catch myself before I make an over-aggressive bet, a so-called heat check.

Those wagers by definition never win.

Or else, the wager would have been considered part of your winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    When winning at the racetrack, I'll sometimes catch myself before I make an over-aggressive bet, a so-called heat check.

Those wagers by definition never win.

Or else, the wager would have been considered part of your winning streak.
    Yup, you think, "shit man, I'm red hot, I'll just double this streak up and I'll be on easy street."

Never saw a street named "Easy."