David Malinsky - Missing after hiking Mount Charleston this weekend (UPDATE)
Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: David Malinsky - Missing after hiking Mount Charleston this weekend (UPDATE)

Default David Malinsky - Missing after hiking Mount Charleston this weekend (UPDATE)

Posted on SBR an hour ago, assume some of you know David Malinsky, please update if you hear anything from LV news, my sister hikes there often and I will check with her.

To the Point Blank Community:

Dave is currently missing. He is believed to have been seen last at approximately 3:00 p.m. Saturday hiking Mount Charleston.

Search and Rescue has found his car and, along with the Malinsky family, continues to search for Dave.

Default Re: David Malinsky - Missing after hiking Mount Charleston this weekend

Ouch hope they find him

Say it ain't so.

Good guy, smart guy.

Arne K. Lang is a good friend of Dave's.

Paging AKL...

Just off the phone with Alf Musketa who reports a pair of search-and-rescue teams are still trying to locate Dave.

Dave made monthly visits to Mount Charleston.

He loved to hike and supported groups whose goal was to save the old-growth trees from threats inside the ecosystem.

And here I thought he focused only on NFL wagering.

I don't see how this possibly can end well. Temp drops to the low 20's at night there.......also troubling reading there was stabbing murder there last month and the attacker has not been identified.
    "David is aware of this thread and he's disappointed about the developments."

First class guy from my limited interactions with him, hope it's just a false alarm and he's just out of cell range and all ends well.
    If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

Dave's Point Blank columns have been a must read. He always did his homework, and articulated his points well.

We can only hope for the best.

EOG 500 Champion Dec. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 2W2P2S View Post
    I don't see how this possibly can end well. Temp drops to the low 20's at night there.......also troubling reading there was stabbing murder there last month and the attacker has not been identified.
    There is always hope. Unfortunately as the saying goes, a search and rescue becomes a search for a body after 72 hours. So one day left.
    Money lost gambling is twice as bad as money lost on something else..

Come home, Dave.

oh wow, so scary. Can't imagine what his family is going through

was he known to be a hiker? climber? can you camp there?

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_Dorothy View Post
    oh wow, so scary. Can't imagine what his family is going through

was he known to be a hiker? climber? can you camp there?

Dave got in excellent shape the last few years by hiking Mount Charleston regularly.

However, I believe he was closer to 60 than 50 and it's dangerous to hike by yourself at that age.

Alf Musketa promised to text me with the latest-breaking news regarding Dave's whereabouts.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Malinsky family.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleface View Post
    There is always hope. Unfortunately as the saying goes, a search and rescue becomes a search for a body after 72 hours. So one day left.
    Cmon, it's not like he's naked up there, if he fell and broke an ankle, he could last for a long time.

According to Teddy Covers Twitter page, they couldn't use helicopters or drones today due to high winds, but hope to tomorrow. He did say there were safe places where he could be taking refuge, if disabled.

EOG 500 Champion Dec. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr merlin View Post
    Cmon, it's not like he's naked up there, if he fell and broke an ankle, he could last for a long time.
    I hope you're right.
    Money lost gambling is twice as bad as money lost on something else..

Just send up some lifeguards.....

If Dave has to rely only on his wits, I like his chances.

I can't add anything new. Dave's mom is in town -- she was visiting him this month -- and his sister flew down from Idaho. When he left for the mountain on Saturday morning, he told his mom he expected to be home around 4 pm.

It's a shade over 48 hours later as I write this. Search and rescue was quickly notified. As Dave's sister told me, all someone like I can do now is pray. If you know Dave, you will be praying hard.

I remembered Drink sharing his hiking scare on the show with JK. Hopefully it has a happy ending like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ArneK. View Post
    I can't add anything new. Dave's mom is in town -- she was visiting him this month -- and his sister flew down from Idaho. When he left for the mountain on Saturday morning, he told his mom he expected to be home around 4 pm.

It's a shade over 48 hours later as I write this. Search and rescue was quickly notified. As Dave's sister told me, all someone like I can do now is pray. If you know Dave, you will be praying hard.

Thanks for the update, Arne.

Currently in Costa Rica and I saw your phone call but my mobile carrier (T-Mobile) failed to deliver the call.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Dave got in excellent shape the last few years by hiking Mount Charleston regularly.

However, I believe he was closer to 60 than 50 and it's dangerous to hike by yourself at that age.
    I'm in my sixties and hike by myself in the Vegas and SD area constantly. I know it's a bit dangerous, but all my friends are gamblers and trying to get them outdoors is like herding cats.

This Saturday, hiking off Late Night (off 160 going to Pahrump), I came across a guy who'd had a seizure. He had bloody foam coming from his mouth. Took S&R a bit of time to hike in there, get him, carry him to where a copter could land.

A few times I've been miles from civilization, and cell service, and badly twisted my ankle, and once I did the classic "easy climb up, really difficult climb down" thing that didn't end until after dark.

Point is, being out there IS dangerous A "mere" broke ankle could get you killed, as could an otherwise survivable heart attack, a rattlefuck bite, and so on. So, a good, full backpack, even for day hikes, is mandatory, as well as GPS that doesn't need cell service to work. Always be prepared to overnight, with a warmth layer and a rain layer, food and water.

If Dave was experienced, he'd have been prepared and could still be okay. The biggest threat is, as someone else pointed out, that it isn't just cold up there, right now it's windy cold. If he caves up and starts a fire ... but if he'd started a fire, he'd probably have been found already.

Nothing online about volunteering to search that I can find, which seems odd.

I always learn something when POKERJOE checks in.

Don't know of this guy but I really hope he's OK.

I got prayers

Stay Strong.
    How you better than somebody? Cuz you said so? Naw man, don't work that way. Sun shine on everybody ass just the same. Get up off your chair and get some.

Captain Old Earl Johnson Natchez Miss.

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    Don't know of this guy but I really hope he's OK.

I got prayers

Stay Strong.

Thanks for the kind words, Billy.

Are there Mountain lions in Mt Charleston area?

Quote Originally Posted by Biff41 View Post
    Are there Mountain lions in Mt Charleston area?

Yes.

Met Dave briefly at Vegas Insider seminar in late 90's.

The Sunday night football shows he did from the Stardust with Arne & Russ were can't miss stuff. Dave was amazing on those shows with his CFB knowledge.

I know him and Palmtree would have lunch together occasionally and Dave would visit a mutual friend in NC. Praying that he is found alive and safe.

I’ve heard of Dave, but have never had any interaction with him or his work.

Fingers crossed that this turns out ok. Did Dave mention to his family which particular trail he planned on hiking on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    I’ve heard of Dave, but have never had any interaction with him or his work.

Fingers crossed that this turns out ok. Did Dave mention to his family which particular trail he planned on hiking on Saturday?

Not sure.

But his car was located late Saturday.

I read a thread at another site where Dave had told someone in his family where he was going that morning. He was expected to be back at 4:00 p.m. (I'll find it).
    Just a horrible deep knot in the stomach thinking about this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedittler View Post
    The area that Dave hiked is a pretty treacherous path. Some that Dave knew and even prepped for in the days leading up. And you are correct SK. His lunch photos were his confirmation of a safe arrival. Right now we are on a full court press. TV, the Review Journal, and quite frankly anybody who will listen. It comes as no surprise that the outreach has been tremendous. I called 4 hospital which in total are affiliated with about 12 more. No Malinsky's and no John Doe's matching the description. A word was even put in to Oscar Goodman. I can think of no better person with more connections than he. The weather was indeed nasty up there, so they couldn't fly the helicopter. But it will be out tomorrow as well as drones. The park ranger said the best chance was one of the many cabins in the area. But are left unoccupied as summer homes due to the weather. That is our best hope. The area is very tough terrain, so honestly only experienced hikers could be of help. Otherwise a person could end up in trouble as well. So the best thing to do for most of us is to leave it to the pros. And we just need to continue our positive thoughts and prayers. It's a terrible feeling of being unable to scour the woods and try to find him. But that's where we are at the moment. I will do my best to pass on any info that becomes available, so check in here. I'm looking forward to sharing with everybody that he's been found safe. So that's the thought I'm holding now. God bless guys.

Wouldn't there have been search parties on foot on the trails if someone is reported missing 48 hrs ago?

Dave's friend Tom Padden is organizing his own search for tomorrow to assist Red Rock Search & Rescue and LV Metro S&R. Another friend of Dave's, Matt Landes, has been doing a great job getting info out and has been in contact with LV Channel 3 and Nathan O'Neal today.
    Dave is known for taking 15-20 mile hikes so it is a huge search area. Anyone who wants to volunteer is welcome to IM me and I can give you the contact info of his friend who is organizing the family's search.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Not sure.

But his car was located late Saturday.
    Whenever I host out-of-towners in LV, they are always amazed by the presence of Mt. Charleston.

No one believes me when I tell them that one can leave the Las Vegas Strip and be snow skiing in less than an hour, or that a summer day in the low 80’s can be had in the same amount of time.

Outsiders just don’t associate alpine climates/terrain with Southern Nevada.

I’m fine with it remaining a relative secret. It’s a place I go frequently to clear my head.

That said, it’s not to be trifled with if you’re an inexperienced hiker. This sounds like a regular outing for Dave. Hopefully as others have eluded to it’s just a broken ankle or something, he had proper survival skills/gear and is simply waiting it out.