Another NBA head-scratcher - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another NBA head-scratcher

Default Re: Another NBA head-scratcher

Quote Originally Posted by raycabino View Post
    I bet them game 2 so I agree but I'm not firing like a really mean it lol.
    Save that shit for the Finals!!!
    Men are born for games. Nothing else... the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the pride of victory & the humiliation of defeat; which are themselves sufficient stake... But trial of chance or worth, all games aspire to the condition of war, for here, that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.

I bet them game 2 so I agree but I'm not firing like a really mean it lol.
    It sounds strange to say, but Boston got their attention. They still may lose Game 2 but I don't see them losing the Series. I think they win Game 2 but however it plays out, they only need 1 win in Boston and I think they take care of HC.
    Men are born for games. Nothing else... the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all. Games of sport involve the pride of victory & the humiliation of defeat; which are themselves sufficient stake... But trial of chance or worth, all games aspire to the condition of war, for here, that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all.

I think the scariest part of the game tonight for Cle backers is the way Boston defended Lebron. They decided to do all they could to take Lebron out of the game and they were successful beyond what I thought possible. Despite Cle shooting poorly they will still have to make some real adjustments if they want to be successful in this series.
    Yeah. The C's play solid team defense. If you can force LeBron to take perimeter shots, you can frustrate him if he's not playing out of his mind.

If I was a Cavs backer, I'd be more concerned about their defense than their offense. How many teams are you going to beat when allowing 60+ points in the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by GameBred View Post
    Save that shit for the Finals!!!
    Lol. Won't catch me doing that either. I'm a big Gol St guy. I truly don't think sabermetrics/ or any other math model can quantify how good Gol St really is. Now Gol st -170 series vs the Rockets? I bet that like a fucking meant it. Keep in mind I've lost tons of bets that I've made with authority lol.

Lol. Won't catch me doing that either. I'm a big Gol St guy. I truly don't think sabermetrics/ or any other math model can quantify how good Gol St really is. Now Gol st -170 series vs the Rockets? I bet that like a fucking meant it. Keep in mind I've lost tons of bets that I've made with authority lol.
    LOL. I know, I know. You'll fucking unload on those Born of Woman, Nerds, the first chance you get if they play Cle

Full Disclosure: If/when Cavs get there, I may come right out of the box w/ a speech

LOL. I know, I know. You'll fucking unload on those Born of Woman, Nerds, the first chance you get if they play Cle

Full Disclosure: If/when Cavs get there, I may come right out of the box w/ a speech
    Lol you better dig deep. I feel They have very little to no chance vs the Warriors however if Houston shits out vs Gol St I think Cle has a punchers chance vs them.

The Toronto series got LeBron/Cavs backers delirious. Celtics take this series easily.

Lol you better dig deep. I feel They have very little to no chance vs the Warriors however if Houston shits out vs Gol St I think Cle has a punchers chance vs them.
    I would much rather play Houston and that's an understatement.

FYI: I already started digging

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    The Toronto series got LeBron/Cavs backers delirious. Celtics take this series easily.
    No. At least for me. That was a matchup issue. I figured going in it would be tougher than Tor but easier than Indy. I thought it would be wrapped up in 5 but I'll update and move it to 6.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    Possibly. This Boston team has me baffled.

Possibly. This Boston team has me baffled.
    Win easily? No fucking way, Ray. I could be wrong but they aren't that good; in the sense of spanking an LBJ-led team.

Someone is making $$ on these NBA playoffs, and it ain't me. Proper valuation of a team is very tough.

ONE GUY making $$ on these playoffs is HC Brad Stevens. Not that he's forcing anyone's hand...but guy can name his price, right? Would he have any interest in Duke job in 3 years?

I really think Irving looks expendable now, based on Celtic surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrunner View Post
    Series price seems low. After Boston won game 1 against Phily they were still a series dog of +185. They're gaining respect and deserve it. I like the Celtics in this series. I think price goes up and I will wait.
    That's why the play the games...and post the lines.

GBred's comment about Game2 price is critical. Blowout normally triggers line inflation. Which would mean Cavs toward -2.5.

And if that's right, what will the home games be? -8.5?

Irish Tim was good at pricing Series mid-stream. Guy has bigger + better things to do now, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrunner View Post
    Series price seems low. After Boston won game 1 against Phily they were still a series dog of +185. They're gaining respect and deserve it. I like the Celtics in this series. I think price goes up and I will wait.
    I have the dogs in both these series, because, obviously, I thought the faves were greatly inflated. But this downward adjustment on Cle actually has me thinking about hedging out of my Boston bet. It's just one road loss, after all.

Without yet doing any math, or line shopping, I'd say the updated series price looks fair.

The refusal of the market to adjust after Boston gm 1 win over Phi gave us a golden bet spot. I guess they didn't want to make that same mistake again.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by boston massacre View Post
    With the 4 Sides of the Ball on the Court at the same time, that being the Boston Offense/ Defense, and the Cleveland Offense/Defense, and after a Finished Regular Season and 2 Rounds of the Playoffs , I would say that the Worst Side of the 4, is the Cleveland Defense.
    Agreed, and I would say the best of the 4 is the Boston defense
    All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by raycabino;5024032[B
    ]I think the scariest part of the game tonight for Cle backers is the way Boston defended Lebron[/B]. They decided to do all they could to take Lebron out of the game and they were successful beyond what I thought possible. Despite Cle shooting poorly they will still have to make some real adjustments if they want to be successful in this series.
    Another great move by Stevens starting Morris over Baynes. After Morris picked up his second foul early in the game Stevens chose to keep him in, he didn't want to break up his rhythm, every time a player picks up a couple of early fouls he heads to the bench, but Stevens took a gamble and left Morris out there, and he rewarded his coach's faith in him by defending LeBron as well as anyone could and also scoring 21 points with 10 rebounds

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyG View Post
    Someone is making $$ on these NBA playoffs, and it ain't me. Proper valuation of a team is very tough.

ONE GUY making $$ on these playoffs is HC Brad Stevens. Not that he's forcing anyone's hand...but guy can name his price, right? Would he have any interest in Duke job in 3 years?

I really think Irving looks expendable now, based on Celtic surge.
    Danny Ainge will have an interesting decision next year. The Celtics haven't missed a beat with Irving being out, and given his injury history it wouldn't come as a shock to me if Irving was traded and here's why. Terry Rozier has played out of his mind since Irving went down, but after next season he becomes a free agent and he's shown he's good enough to be a starter, some team will offer him a long term lucrative deal that Boston wouldn't be able to match, so I have a feeling either Irving or Rozier get moved, Ainge can get back more in an Irving trade (possibly Kawhi), or he can flip Rozier for maybe another first round pick. If Ainge thinks the Celtics can win a title, he could keep them both knowing he'll lose Rozier at season's end, but I have a feeling one of them gets moved either in the off season or during the season, either way Danny has some thinking to do, it all depends on how Danny and Brad view Rozier, is this the player they'll have going forward, or is he just in a great zone right now, either way the Celtics have a decision to make regarding this situation

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    Another great move by Stevens starting Morris over Baynes. After Morris picked up his second foul early in the game Stevens chose to keep him in, he didn't want to break up his rhythm, every time a player picks up a couple of early fouls he heads to the bench, but Stevens took a gamble and left Morris out there, and he rewarded his coach's faith in him by defending LeBron as well as anyone could and also scoring 21 points with 10 rebounds
    To lessen the rather slim chance that a player fouls out & won’t be able to play for a few minutes, most coaches response is: bench the player, thereby GUARANTEEING the result you’re trying to prevent.

Stevens made the correct move there.

Biggest dumbass ever in this category was John Thompson.

LeBron's eyes got big when he looked up and saw Aaron Baynes guarding him in what was a short lived failed experiment and one of the few bad moves by Stevens. As for LeBron a -32 while on the court with no other player remotely close, nobody even in the 20's. Take him out of his game and he starts whining while at times failing to get back on D as he bitches to the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by pbovi View Post
    LeBron's eyes got big when he looked up and saw Aaron Baynes guarding him in what was a short lived failed experiment and one of the few bad moves by Stevens. As for LeBron a -32 while on the court with no other player remotely close, nobody even in the 20's. Take him out of his game and he starts whining while at times failing to get back on D as he bitches to the ref.
    yep, I remember Kawhi Leonard making him totally disappear

missing bovi and gabe mercenary, where is bovi on nba be found?

Quote Originally Posted by pbovi View Post
    Yes. Im not saying it was sustainable but each time Brick sat the Cavs begun to cut the deficit. As comical as it sounds the Celtic fans were hollering for him to get back in the game.

The whole team ball watches when LeBron is out there, except Korver I suppose. It's LBJs team and he makes it awkward for the other players. Irving and Thomas left for that reason, and Love should, too.

I completely respect the Cavs, but I'm fading them this series and if they make the finals will fade them again (unless the market stops overrating them, which did just happen with the post-gm 1 series price, but which will probably reverse if Cavs make it to finals).

Kane and Crazy Pete make a good point.

Benching the fouler only makes sense if you think the guy is on tilt or has extra value at the end of close games.

EOG Dedicated

The Celtics will give GS a series, the Cavs will likely get swept, Boston better than Cleveland

The Celtics will give GS a series, the Cavs will likely get swept, Boston better than Cleveland
    I'm not willing to say Celts are better, but with HCA, I didn't make them anywhere close to the big dog the market made them vs Cavs. At the very least, I don't think Philly would have been much of a dog to Cavs, and Boston win over them, though apparently completely disrespected by the market, was legit.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by pokerjoe View Post
    I'm not willing to say Celts are better, but with HCA, I didn't make them anywhere close to the big dog the market made them vs Cavs. At the very least, I don't think Philly would have been much of a dog to Cavs, and Boston win over them, though apparently completely disrespected by the market, was legit.
    Here's why I think Boston is better. Other than LeBron over Morris, Rozier is better than Hill, Brown is better than Korver, Horford is better than Love, and Tatum is better than Smith, the C's have the advantage everywhere on the court except for LeBron. There's also no comparing these teams defensively as Boston has the clear edge there as well, throw in home court and the massive coaching edge, and I'm very comfortable saying Boston is the better team. Now, the better team might not win since the lesser team has LeBron, but unless he plays like Superman I think Boston beats them, LeBron has to be great for his team to win, not the case with Boston as they have multiple guys they rely on.

You make good points, Kane, although I don't think Horford is inherently better than Love, I think he, playing for Stevens, is better than Love playing with LeBron.

EOG Dedicated

You make good points, Kane, although I don't think Horford is inherently better than Love, I think he, playing for Stevens, is better than Love playing with LeBron.
    When you factor in defense, I think Horford is the clear better player, but if Love is making his three's he closes the gap

Danny Ainge will have an interesting decision next year. The Celtics haven't missed a beat with Irving being out, and given his injury history it wouldn't come as a shock to me if Irving was traded and here's why. Terry Rozier has played out of his mind since Irving went down, but after next season he becomes a free agent and he's shown he's good enough to be a starter, some team will offer him a long term lucrative deal that Boston wouldn't be able to match, so I have a feeling either Irving or Rozier get moved, Ainge can get back more in an Irving trade (possibly Kawhi), or he can flip Rozier for maybe another first round pick. If Ainge thinks the Celtics can win a title, he could keep them both knowing he'll lose Rozier at season's end, but I have a feeling one of them gets moved either in the off season or during the season, either way Danny has some thinking to do, it all depends on how Danny and Brad view Rozier, is this the player they'll have going forward, or is he just in a great zone right now, either way the Celtics have a decision to make regarding this situation

I think Irving is a Free Agent after Next Year Also.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by boston massacre View Post
    I think Irving is a Free Agent after Next Year Also.
    Shit, you're right, I forgot about that. Okay, that means there's even less chance of them both coming back, it will be a tough decision, which one to keep. Logic says Irving, but he'll cost more than Rozier and could get back more in a trade, but are they sure Scary Terry will play like this going forward? I have trust Danny will make the right choice.

Have you recently been concussed? On what planet is Boston better than Cleveland?

The whole team ball watches when LeBron is out there, except Korver I suppose. It's LBJs team and he makes it awkward for the other players. Irving and Thomas left for that reason, and Love should, too.

I completely respect the Cavs, but I'm fading them this series and if they make the finals will fade them again (unless the market stops overrating them, which did just happen with the post-gm 1 series price, but which will probably reverse if Cavs make it to finals).
    Overrating them? They were medium series dogs against Toronto? What are you guys talking about?

As for Kevin "Robin" Love, he owes his ring to LBJ.

EOG Dedicated

Have you recently been concussed? On what planet is Boston better than Cleveland?
    Read my post 63