Looks like slop and probably only Dixie on Turf this Sat in Baltimore

Thread: Looks like slop and probably only Dixie on Turf this Sat in Baltimore

Default Looks like slop and probably only Dixie on Turf this Sat in Baltimore

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMD0018:1:US

Justify hoof completely healed?

EOG Dedicated

Default Re: Looks like slop and probably only Dixie on Turf this Sat in Baltimore

They claim he's fine and it was way overblown. But, at that price, I'm sitting on my hands. Weather on the east coast is supposed to be bad for days.

Default Re: Looks like slop and probably only Dixie on Turf this Sat in Baltimore

Preakness is in the top 5 sporting events I’ve attended. For such a shitty little track in a terrible neighborhood, they put on a fantastic show. I’d encourage anyone to do it at least once.

Was going to bet against justify if the track is fast. Don't see him losing in the slop even with a bum hoof.

Name the last Baffert horse to win the Derby and lose the Preakness?

Trick question.

It has never happened.

Baffert's five Derby winners are 4-for-4 in the Preakness with Justify on deck.

Silver Charm in 1997, Real Quiet in 1998, War Emblem (edit) in 2002 and American Pharaoh in 2015.

Replace Point Given with War Emblem, pal.

Quote Originally Posted by rdalert447 View Post
    Replace Point Given with War Emblem, pal.

Whoops!

I think baffert bought war emblem after his Illinois derby win

Quote Originally Posted by blueline View Post
    I think baffert bought war emblem after his Illinois derby win
    I believe you're correct. Prior to the purchase War Emblem was trained by Frank Springer and owned by Russel Reineman. I believe Reineman kept a small ownership after the sale to the Saudi's. Horse was sold for around $1 million. What would the going price be today? $5 milion?
    "its time to start killing journalist" Mr. Merlin. 07-02-17

Sarava won the 2002 Belmont Stakes at odds of 70/1.

War Emblem broke slowly and finished eighth as the 6/5 favorite in his quest for the Triple Crown.

It seems like the Derby and Preakness have been ruined by slop and mud quite a few times in recent years.

It might be the last Preakness at Pimlico as the MD Jockey Club wants to move all operations to Laurel.

Leo must be smoking some good stuff.

http://www.drf.com/news/pimlico-conf...ill-stay-grass

BALTIMORE – Despite the prospect of more than five inches of rain here this week, Maryland Jockey Club officials are confident that the 14 turf races scheduled for Friday and Saturday at Pimlico will stay on grass.
    Leo Hernandez, the Pimlico turf-course superintendent, said he walked the course on Wednesday after two to 2 1/2 inches of rain fell overnight and was pleased with its condition.
    “It’s still firm,” Hernandez said. “I keep the grass up high. We’re looking good so far.”
    :: Visit DRF's one-stop shop for Black-Eyed Susan and Preakness PPs, guides, and more!
    An inch of rain was in the forecast for Thursday and more than an inch for Friday, with showers also likely Saturday.
    Friday’s turf races include the $100,000 Hilltop Stakes and the $100,000 Jim McKay Turf Sprint. Saturday’s turf stakes include the Grade 2, $250,000 Dixie; the Grade 3, $150,000 Gallorette; and the $100,000 The Very One.
    The rail was out 20 feet for Sunday’s races and was scheduled to be out 20 feet for the five grass races carded for Thursday. Hernandez said that depending on how the course holds up Thursday, he could move the rails in 10 feet for Friday’s card, which has seven turf races scheduled. The rails will be down for Saturday’s 14-race program, which has seven grass races scheduled.

Remember Barbaro?

Pimlico racing officials stuffed him back into the starting gate quickly after he broke through the starting gate prior to the start.

Pimlico's dire financial straits make for some suspect racing decisions, especially on Preakness Day.

I remember not having him in the back half of my oaks/derby double

Quote Originally Posted by blueline View Post
    I remember not having him in the back half of my oaks/derby double

And Lemons Forever won the Oaks that year at $96.20.

That had to hurt.

I had the oaks exacta but I really wanted the double....boxed the 3 horses in the oaks that fit the early energy profile and snagged it

Too bad Bernardini's Preakness win at odds of 7/1 was overshadowed by Barbaro's injury.

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Too bad Bernardini's Preakness win at odds of 7/1 was overshadowed by Barbaro's injury.
    why is that too bad?

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownJoe View Post
    possible triple crown winners are more valuable than not, quite motivating

Justify obviously is the goods, but that was a grueling grueling race, the toughest event of his young career, can he step up again and be competitive we shall see.

Not since, I believe smarty jones has a horse won the Preakness after a Muddy Derby Win.

past casualties
    mine that bird, super saver, orb, always dreaming

EOG Dedicated

Justify is a lot better than those past casualties. He still can lose, but it's doubtful.

EOG Dedicated

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    why is that too bad?
    He never got the credit for being as good as he was.