EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 100

Thread: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

  1. #1

    Default EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Rules:


    • Contestant will post 30 plays in 30 days (one play per day) starting the first of the month.
    • Games must be played within a 30-day time frame.
    • Major North American team sports only: NFL, NCAAF, NHL, NBA, NCAAB, MLB, MLS, CFL and WNBA.
    • Full-game sides and totals -110 or LOWER.
    • Contestants are graded against Pinnacle numbers at the time of post.
    • Must hit 60% or better to be declared a winner of the $1,000 prize.
    • Cannot play both sides of the same game.

  2. #2

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    One of EOG's finest in the spotlight this month.

    NUT6 is on deck.

  3. #3

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Thanks to JK, the EOG brass and BetDSI for the opportunity.

    Thanks also to all the great baseball minds here that I’ve learned lots from in the past 2 years.

  4. #4
    EOG Dedicated rdalert447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 20, 2007
    Location
    Sanford Orlando Kennel Club
    Posts
    5,867

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Good luck, EJD. Knock it out.

  5. #5

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Thanks, RD. Best of luck to you as well with the ponies.

  6. #6

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Play #1:

    905 PIT/STL OVER 8 -105 (rom Pinnacle) Taillon/Mikolas listed.

    Game goes tonight at 7:15 local time/5:15 Pacific.

    Taillon was pegged as the ace of the Pirates rotation after beating testicular cancer last year, but he’s been wildly inconsistent so far. The Pittsburgh pen has been the biggest dumpster fire in the league the last 2 weeks and Taillon has averaged less than 5 innings per start since April 19.

    Mikolas has been for the most part lights out for the Cardinals, but he has faced the Pirates twice so far this season, giving up a total of 6 ER in 13 innings, so it’s not like the Pirates can’t score when he’s on the mound.

    Will be an extremely hot/humid day in the Lou as well, so the ball should be carrying.

    BOL to all today.

  7. #7

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    As a dedicated UNDER bettor, I always fear division games where the hitters have a decent read on the pitchers.

    Last night's game at Busch ended with 18 runs on 26 hits and four errors.

    I'll root for more of the same tonight.

    Good luck, EJD.

  8. #8

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Pirates top 3 in NL in most major offensive categories, all while playing in a pitcher-friendly park and with their best lefty (Polanco) in a protracted slump. Meadows got the night off last night and should be back in the lineup tonight. I believe this is the first time he will have faced a pitcher for the second time so it will be interesting to see what adjustments are made.

    Give Neal Huntington some credit. He knows that the only real power alley at PNC is the Clemente wall in right and right center, and he’s rebuilding accordingly. Despite the bullpen’s struggles, they are way ahead of pace.

  9. #9
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Dec 17, 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    9,732

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    BOL with the Challenge EJD, you're definitely one of the good guys here
    All great genius encounters violent opposition from mediocre minds

  10. #10

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Bol to you

  11. #11

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Thanks guys. Hopefully it’s not a duplicate of my best bet thread performance.

  12. #12

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Turns out it’s the Cards pen that I need to implode. Taillon super sharp and inducing tons of soft contact (read: low pitch count.)

    Ugh.....

  13. #13

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    I never had a chance in this one. Just gotta tip my cap to Jameson Taillon. Pinpoint command all night and did a great job of mixing up his pitches and keeping hitters off balance, which induced a ton of soft contact and made for an extremely efficient outing.

    Some notes:

    -The Cardinals are NOT a plus defensive unit by any stretch of the imagination. This was starkly illustrated in the 5th inning when Frazier and Cervelli both hit triples that should have been doubles. Fowler straight up dogged it on Frazier’s ball hit down the right field line, and Ozuna misplayed Cervelli’s ball off the wall in left. (NO WAY should anyone not named Billy Hamilton or Dee Gordon wind up with a triple off the left field wall in any ballpark under any circumstances.)

    Unfortunately the Pirates were only able to scratch one run across in that inning.

    -I didn’t realize Mikolas was 6-0 coming into this game. That stat alone will fool a lot of square bettors, but the syndicates had this one pegged the whole way. Money came in on the Pirates from the opening of the books this morning all the way up to first pitch.

    Mikolas pitched well, but is starting to have some command issues pop up that we hadn’t seen until his last couple starts.

    -Polanco is showing signs of coming out of his funk. 1 for 4 tonight with a double but I really liked his approach all 4 times up. That offense is going to go on a tear against RHP if he gets hot and they can find more playing time for Meadows.

    -And IMO they HAVE to find a way to get Meadows in the game every time against righties until the league adjusts. The kid has the look of a generational talent.

    -Your National League leader in OPS from April 10th until today? How about Francisco Cervelli? You could have given me 5 guesses and he would have been nowhere near my radar.

    On to tomorrow...

  14. #14

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Best of luck going forward...
    Everyone dies......but not everyone lives.....

  15. #15
    Bells Beer Connoisseur FairWarning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 24, 2008
    Location
    Bridgman, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    14,580

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    BOL.

  16. #16

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    BOL to a great contributor

  17. #17

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Thanks, VD and FW.

    Play #2:

    957 LAD/COL OVER 10.5 -110 (Pinnacle)

    We’re used to some dramatic home/road splits with Rockies players, but German Marquez’s are absolutely insane, even for Coors. He’s flat out awful at home. I also like to fade pitchers the first time they pitch in Denver, which is the case here for young Mr. Buehler. Both offenses are also in decent form lately.

    Coors has been an UNDER paradise so far this season, and I suspect that’s depressing prices a little more than fair value. I’ll take a shot at this one.

    BOL to all.

  18. #18

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    BOL to a great contributor
    Thanks, Billy. Enjoy the summer in the beautiful PNW.

  19. #19

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    I never had a chance in this one. Just gotta tip my cap to Jameson Taillon. Pinpoint command all night and did a great job of mixing up his pitches and keeping hitters off balance, which induced a ton of soft contact and made for an extremely efficient outing.

    Some notes:

    -The Cardinals are NOT a plus defensive unit by any stretch of the imagination. This was starkly illustrated in the 5th inning when Frazier and Cervelli both hit triples that should have been doubles. Fowler straight up dogged it on Frazier’s ball hit down the right field line, and Ozuna misplayed Cervelli’s ball off the wall in left. (NO WAY should anyone not named Billy Hamilton or Dee Gordon wind up with a triple off the left field wall in any ballpark under any circumstances.)

    Unfortunately the Pirates were only able to scratch one run across in that inning.

    -I didn’t realize Mikolas was 6-0 coming into this game. That stat alone will fool a lot of square bettors, but the syndicates had this one pegged the whole way. Money came in on the Pirates from the opening of the books this morning all the way up to first pitch.

    Mikolas pitched well, but is starting to have some command issues pop up that we hadn’t seen until his last couple starts.

    -Polanco is showing signs of coming out of his funk. 1 for 4 tonight with a double but I really liked his approach all 4 times up. That offense is going to go on a tear against RHP if he gets hot and they can find more playing time for Meadows.

    -And IMO they HAVE to find a way to get Meadows in the game every time against righties until the league adjusts. The kid has the look of a generational talent.

    -Your National League leader in OPS from April 10th until today? How about Francisco Cervelli? You could have given me 5 guesses and he would have been nowhere near my radar.

    On to tomorrow...


    Win or lose, I enjoyed the review.

    EJD's current record is 0-1.

    Good luck tonight at Coors.

    Nineteen runs there last night.

  20. #20

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    Thanks, VD and FW.

    Play #2:

    957 LAD/COL OVER 10.5 -110 (Pinnacle)

    We’re used to some dramatic home/road splits with Rockies players, but German Marquez’s are absolutely insane, even for Coors. He’s flat out awful at home. I also like to fade pitchers the first time they pitch in Denver, which is the case here for young Mr. Buehler. Both offenses are also in decent form lately.

    Coors has been an UNDER paradise so far this season, and I suspect that’s depressing prices a little more than fair value. I’ll take a shot at this one.

    BOL to all.

    Final score: Dodgers 12 Rockies 4.

    EJD is on the board.

    Current record: 1-1.

  21. #21

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    This cashes rather easily, but I’m not sure it was all that great of a bet. I’m too lazy to look it up, but one can probably count on two hands the number of 5:15 PM local time starts at Coors Field, and that led to some very, very strange light conditions that persisted well into the late innings. Nonetheless, I’ll take it!

    Some notes:

    -Marquez is as bad as advertised at Coors. He has a lot of talent, but he has no idea how to pitch in that ballpark. He relies solely on commanding his fastball, and when the hitters know that’s what’s coming, you better be dead on every single pitch. You can’t abandon the off-speed stuff entirely, just like....

    -...Walker Buehler did in the 2nd inning after he had that “Oh Shit” moment that all first-time pitchers at Coors Field have. It’s the moment you realize that everything your teammates and coaches have been telling you about how your off-speed stuff isn’t going to move like it does in Los Angeles is true. Buehler panicked and thought the only way forward was to reach back and hit 99 on the gun. Problem is, 99 is hittable if you know it’s coming and there’s no movement on it.

    Here’s where I became really impressed with Buehler though: he adjusted his release point to account for the relative lack of break, brought the off-speed stuff back in the 3rd and was brilliant the rest of the day. He showed me a nimble mind on the mound and that will serve him well. He’s the heir-apparent to Kershaw as the ace of that staff and he’ll be a fixture for years to come if he can stay healthy.

    -The Dodgers’ approach at the plate is light years better than even a couple weeks ago. Counts are getting worked and better efforts are being made to put the ball in play with 2 strikes as opposed to still swinging for the fences. I think having Turner back is a huge steadying presence for them, even if he’s not putting up huge numbers yet.

    -The Rockies spent huge on the bullpen in the off-season and now that Ottavino is hurt, they have practically nothing to show for it. It’s a dumpster fire and some serious moves are going to have to be made if Colorado is planning on staying in the race.

    -Colorado’s 1 through 4 in the lineup is scary as ever, but the bottom half of the order gives away too many at bats. David Dahl needs to get it together, and fast.

    On to tomorrow....

  22. #22

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5177 is our June contestant)

    Can't even stomach looking at MLB after watching college baseball which is a better product.

  23. #23

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by railbird View Post
    Can't even stomach looking at MLB after watching college baseball which is a better product.
    Valuable contribution, Birdie. Thanks.

    9 of your 29 selections in your contest last month were MLB plays.

    You are under no obligation to read this thread going forward.

  24. #24

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Play #3

    915 NYY/BAL OVER 9 -109 (from Pinnacle) German/Cobb

    This line seems like a trap, but my square ass is going to bite anyway.

    There are weather concerns here, but I think they wind up playing.

    German has been garbage for 3 starts in a row now, although the electric stuff is clearly there and the strikeout numbers are good. This will boil down to whether the Baltimore lineup can be patient and work into some favorable hitters’ counts. I suspect they may rest some of the more free swingers in the lineup so that could actually be useful here.

    Nothing really needs to be said about Cobb. He certainly had a better month iof May than his three starts in April, but that’s not saying a whole lot.

    Yankees LHB last 3 games:

    Gardner: 8-15
    Hicks: 6-11, 1 BB
    Gregorius: 4-13
    Bird: 3-15

    Total: 21-54, .389

    I would much rather play this NYY -1.5 -109, but that’s not an option in this contest, so OVER 9 -109 it is.

    BOL to all today.

  25. #25

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Postponed. Alternate play up shortly.

  26. #26

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Play #3:

    927 BOS/HOU OVER 7.5 +110 @ Pinnacle (Porcello/Morton)

    Game goes at 6:35 PM local time, 4:35 PM Pacific.

    Porcello really regressed in May (5.35 ERA, 1.49 WHIP) and even a sauced-up Charlie Morton has looked human the past couple of games. Houston offense is really starting to pick it up (6.42 runs/game since May 22nd) and Boston isn’t feeling the loss of Betts as much as I thought they would... (yet.)

    We also have to remember that despite Houston’s gaudy UNDER numbers so far this season, Minute Maid Park is still one of the best hitters’ parks in the league.

    BOL to all today.

  27. #27
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    5,573

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Contestant will post 30 plays in 30 days (one play per day) starting the first of the month.

  28. #28
    EOG Dedicated
    Join Date
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Posts
    5,573

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ComptrBob View Post
    Contestant will post 30 plays in 30 days (one play per day) starting the first of the month.
    Missed the postponement. Wondered why two play #3's .. LOL. Also for the future, I think the "rules" allow a makeup anytime during the month, i.e. the makeup doesn't have to be the same day. JK can correct me if necessary

  29. #29

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Good to see you cb
    Hope all is well

  30. #30

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ComptrBob View Post
    Missed the postponement. Wondered why two play #3's .. LOL. Also for the future, I think the "rules" allow a makeup anytime during the month, i.e. the makeup doesn't have to be the same day. JK can correct me if necessary

    Sounds good.

    Loose set of rules favors the player over the house.

  31. #31

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ejd_5277 View Post
    Play #3:

    927 BOS/HOU OVER 7.5 +110 @ Pinnacle (Porcello/Morton)

    Game goes at 6:35 PM local time, 4:35 PM Pacific.

    Porcello really regressed in May (5.35 ERA, 1.49 WHIP) and even a sauced-up Charlie Morton has looked human the past couple of games. Houston offense is really starting to pick it up (6.42 runs/game since May 22nd) and Boston isn’t feeling the loss of Betts as much as I thought they would... (yet.)

    We also have to remember that despite Houston’s gaudy UNDER numbers so far this season, Minute Maid Park is still one of the best hitters’ parks in the league.

    BOL to all today.

    Final score: Red Sox 9 Astros 3.

    A handy winner.

    EJD improves to 2-1.

  32. #32

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ComptrBob View Post
    Missed the postponement. Wondered why two play #3's .. LOL. Also for the future, I think the "rules" allow a makeup anytime during the month, i.e. the makeup doesn't have to be the same day. JK can correct me if necessary
    Good to know, CB. That could come in handy for sure. A little give-back in exchange for MLB being the toughest sport to play in this contest.

  33. #33

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Only saw bits and pieces of the game last night, but it sounds like Morton was all over the place. I’m really surprised how well Boston continues to hit the ball with Betts out. Was the perfect ending to a perfect day for me yesterday.

    Tiny MLB card today, but there’s one I like:

    Play #4:

    951 Atlanta EV @ Pinnacle (Teheran/Richard)

    Game goes at 7:10 PM Pacific.

    JK in his blog points out Richard’s effectiveness against non-division opponents, but the Padres also don’t get many looks at Teheran and I don’t see anything in either pitcher’s peripherals or BVP stuff that justifies the Padres being small chalk here. They’ve overachieved so far this year and they’re on a semi-decent run, but 7 home games in a row against Miami and Cincinnati will get any team well.

    BOL to all today.

  34. #34

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Julio Teheran has absolutely no idea where the baseball is going right now. Somehow worked out of a huge 2nd inning jam to keep it 2-0 SD, but if he doesn’t settle down it’s going to be over very quickly.

  35. #35

    Default Re: EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (EJD_5277 is our June contestant)

    Final score: Padres 11 Braves 4.

    EJD falls to 2-2.

    Next.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •