World Cup Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Thread

Default Re: World Cup Thread

End of Ramadan today. We saw the saudis with a lack of appetite for football yesterday, I have no idea how that will impact Egypt today but it is a considerable variable in my books. Uruguay prices have been drifting all week.

It's Mo Salah's birthday today. Expect a big game.

Speaking of Ramadan, it appears that it ends for most today but apparently lasts for one extra day in Iran, it's based on a crescent moon sighting and an ancient calendar, could that be a factor in Morocco/Iran? apply your best "extra rest" theories here.
    If you ain't shopping you ain't trying

Salah not in the starting lineup for Egypt.

Uruguay/Egypt UNDER 2.5 -140 1 unit

most muslims don't believe that BS, they just give it a nod out of fear

Don't know what they believe but all that cramping by the Egyptians might've had something to do with lack of proper hydration over the last 4 weeks.

Iran upsets Morocco, 1-0.

Rough three-day stretch for Morocco.

They lose the bid to host the 2026 World Cup and now lose their opening game.

And it was an ugly game. Neither team looks in the same league as Spain and Portugal.

Quote Originally Posted by pokerjoe View Post
    And it was an ugly game. Neither team looks in the same league as Spain and Portugal.

Thanks for checking in, POKERJOE.

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Iran upsets Morocco, 1-0.

Rough three-day stretch for Morocco.

They lose the bid to host the 2026 World Cup and now lose their opening game.
    well there were 3 countries against one there.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Thanks for checking in, POKERJOE.
    This is my fourth WC reading Goon's threads.

Quote Originally Posted by pokerjoe View Post
    This is my fourth WC reading Goon's threads.
    Guy is very good. For sure.

How strong are the World Cup line-moves?

So much $$ bet on this tournament. Feel like I'm in trouble when my ticket loses value as game gets closer to kick-off.

I always like the favored underdog

Not gonna complain, but this is too early to set up for a 4 games day LOL

Australia TT Under 0.5 -109 1 unit
    It's true, France looked like shit defensively in warmups, but this is the real deal. I have this aussie team much weaker than previous incarnations... France will struggle a bit offensively, but will keep a lot of possession and the aussies won't have many chances. 2-0 final

something always happens to australia lol.

espn et al keep putting messi ahead of ronaldo in top ranking, time for that to be reversed.

Peru +0.25 -101 over Denmark 1 unit

I saw plenty of Denmark in qualifying, they are a solid side that struggles to generate chances. They have the goaltending and a robust defense. Peru is a team that tends to keep a lot of possession and test defenses. They have opportunistic finishing and get a massive boost for having their inspirational leader in this tournament after his suspension was reversed by the highest courts. Most likely a 1-1 draw, but I think Peru can actually take this

Go Peru. I'm big here.

Hope both teams go for it.

Just one play today
    Serbia -0.5 -118 over Costa Rica 1 unit

Happy Father's Day to all of you!

Thanks for checking in, Goon.

Just underway in the CRC-SRB game.

Announcer asks rhetorically, "Were the Costa Ricans keeping their powder dry the past couple of weeks in preparation for this World Cup opener?"

All I do is trytrytry trytrytry's Avatar

2nd half serbia -1/2 +125

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyG View Post
    How strong are the World Cup line-moves?

So much $$ bet on this tournament. Feel like I'm in trouble when my ticket loses value as game gets closer to kick-off.
    4 years ago I got absolutely crushed chasing steam. Totals as well as sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb777 View Post
    4 years ago I got absolutely crushed chasing steam. Totals as well as sides.
    Some of these moves are all over the place. And not in what I'd call the OBVIOUS direction. Per usual...who knows?

Panama under 0.5 goals -156 1 unit

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenGoon View Post

So far, so good.

Another 30 minutes to go.

Quote Originally Posted by trytrytry View Post
    2nd half serbia -1/2 +125

A winner at plus-money.

The Serbs scored in the 56th minute of their lone-goal victory.

Final score: Belgium 3 Panama 0.

A good result for Goon.

Goon not only stoned Panama today but he also has Belgium at +1050 to win the World Cup

Quick Recap:

Totals: 5-3 +3.40 units

Plays:
    1. Russia 1H +116 over Saudi Arabia 1 unit W +1.16 - well deserved, Russia was a couple of classes above the Saudis in spite of the FIFA rankings that made these look pretty even.
    2. Morocco -0.5 +129 over Iran L -1.00 Iran fluked it out at the end, Morocco didn't take their chances early, would do this again and again given the opportunity.
    3. Spain/Portugal DRAW +234 W +2.34 back and forth, great game to watch, not ideal to sweat, I owe Ronaldo a pint or 10 for that tying goal late
    4. Belgium +1050 to win WC 2 units Pending slow start in the 1H, better once they got the lead, should get better as the tournament moves on, their outlook will depend on how Brazil and Germany do to wrap up their groups. Not sure their current defensive setup is good enough to shut down the more potent sides.
    5. Uruguay/Egypt UNDER 2.5 -140 1 unit W +1.00 - Never really in doubt, Egypt defended and Uruguay lacked ideas until very late.
    6. Australia TT Under 0.5 -109 1 unit L -1.09 - Australia were happy to sit back, but had some chances, France brain fart costly on the tying PK.
    7. Peru +0.25 -101 over Denmark 1 unit L -1.01 Peru was the better team but their finishing sucked, quite shocking, including the missed PK.
    8. Serbia -0.5 -118 over Costa Rica 1 unit W +1.00 Harder than I thought, ticos put up a big fight.
    9. Panama TT Under 0.5 goals -156 1 unit W +1.00 Had one big chance and a couple of corners, pretty much as expected.

Love the review.

An honest self-appraisal leads to more winners in the future.

One thing I've been trying to do lately is look back at each bet and grade it on a 6 level scale, no matter the outcome...
    Easy
    Fair
    Tossup
    Gift
    Unlucky
    Dead wrong

It really helps you understand when you're on a heater and when you're scraping by. Also a bit of a confidence booster when results are not going your way. And when yo u string together a few dead wrongs, it's time to cut back on unit size and regroup. This approach probably saved me about 4 units late in the NHL playoffs.

I expect a couple of action filled games Tuesday morning:
    Colombia/Japan OVER 2 -112 1 unit
    Poland/Senegal OVER 2 -104 1 unit

All these teams are better going forward than sitting back I think we will see plenty of scoring in this group.

One thing I've been trying to do lately is look back at each bet and grade it on a 6 level scale, no matter the outcome...
    Easy
    Fair
    Tossup
    Gift
    Unlucky
    Dead wrong

It really helps you understand when you're on a heater and when you're scraping by. Also a bit of a confidence booster when results are not going your way. And when yo u string together a few dead wrongs, it's time to cut back on unit size and regroup. This approach probably saved me about 4 units late in the NHL playoffs.
    I like that. In soccer, it's so tricky. Low-scoring game where 1 or 2 plays tilt the balance.

Easy
    Fair
    Tossup
    Gift
    Unlucky
    Dead wrong

I like it.