Kermit Washington takes another cheap shot

Thread: Kermit Washington takes another cheap shot

EOG Enthusiast

Default Kermit Washington takes another cheap shot

The man responsible for the most infamous sucker punch in sports history is headed to jail for treating donors of his fake charity like suckers.
    Former NBA player Kermit Washington, who broke Rudy Tomjanovich’s face during a 1977 brawl, was sentenced to six years in prison without parole in Kansas City for stealing money from a fraudulent charity he ran, according to the Kansas City Star.
    Washington’s Sixth Man Foundation funneled money slated to fund medical services for African kids with HIV and used it instead to pay for vacations, plastic surgery for his girlfriend and personal expenses.
    Washington, 66, was sentenced to six years in federal prison and was ordered to pay back $967,158 by U.S. District Judge Greg Kays. He pleaded guilty in December to two counts of making a false statement in a tax return and one count of aggravated identity theft. He was also found to have fraudulently used the identity of someone living in Oregon to maintain a base of operations for the fake charity.
    Washington played in the NBA from 1973-1982 but is best known for ending Tomjanovich’s career with that punch in 1977. Washington, playing for the Lakers at the time, was suspended 26 games for the incident.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Kermit Washington takes another cheap shot

70’s NBA was gangster. Fights, Coke, (not the ice cold version), Thug city. These pretend gangsters of today would crumble. Nothing says anti social product like tape delay finals.

maurice lucas was a tough guy too

I remember that punch . Rudy t. never the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTop View Post
    maurice lucas was a tough guy too
    Met Maurice once in a post softball game gathering and he could not have been nicer. Nonetheless, as Mr Top states, he was one tough guy. Protected Bill Walton in Portland and once choked a referee with his own whistle to express displeasure with a call. Mo played for a powerhouse Pittsburgh Schenley team that destroyed my hometown Norristown featuring the great (at least in high school) Henry Williams in PIAA state championship game. Can't believe he is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Eagleston View Post
    Met Maurice once in a post softball game gathering and he could not have been nicer. Nonetheless, as Mr Top states, he was one tough guy. Protected Bill Walton in Portland and once choked a referee with his own whistle to express displeasure with a call. Mo played for a powerhouse Pittsburgh Schenley team that destroyed my hometown Norristown featuring the great (at least in high school) Henry Williams in PIAA state championship game. Can't believe he is long gone.

wow i forgot he died or missed it . Sports illustrated did a top ten or something on the toughest guys at the time in the NBA. I think Maurice lucas took 1st or 2nd.