Dwyer and late batch betting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 44 of 44

Thread: Dwyer and late batch betting

  1. #36
    EOG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 20, 2005
    Location
    Paradise Nv.
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Quote Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
    Chicago racing really was a cesspool. But back then, you had some good barns there. They still had good barns the first 5 years or so after Arlington was rebuilt. Sportsman's was a great track; then the apprentice got killed and Lukas said he'd never send another horse there due to the hairpin turns so they reconfigured the track and wrecked it. Fall Hawthorne was my favorite betting meet. 12 horse fields almost every race, and crazy biases that would last a couple days, then completely reverse.
    Was at Sportsman that day the jockey got killed. Rodney Dickens was his name.
    Your right about the biases at Hawthorne. Made for great opportunities. Trainer JR Smith had the "magic touch"with claimers back then.

  2. #37

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    Was at Sportsman that day the jockey got killed. Rodney Dickens was his name.
    Your right about the biases at Hawthorne. Made for great opportunities. Trainer JR Smith had the "magic touch"with claimers back then.
    The funny thing about Hawthorne back then. It seemed like very few neutral tracks. Either speed and rail were great, or the inside was horrific. Absolute death. Either the maintenance crews have improved a lot, or they were intentionally carving biases to profit from them in the afternoon. I was at Oaklawn one spring and heard rumors they manufactured biases and would hammer the doubles, which was their only exotic back years ago. With all the crap going on in Chicago, I guarantee you the Hawthorne crew was profiting from the biases.

  3. #38
    EOG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 20, 2005
    Location
    Paradise Nv.
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    i got my start in harness racing in the late 70's. Owned a few cheap claimers, worked the backstretch for a few years and just loved being around the track. did a many of doubleheaders back in the day the old school way. No inter track or otb's then. Had to do the driving from day thoroughbred venue to night harness venue.
    Yes harness racing was and is very corrupt on all levels. Betting, training, driving, owning, and don't forget selling horses too.

  4. #39
    EOG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 20, 2005
    Location
    Paradise Nv.
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Here is a tribune article that writes about both stories talked about in this thread.

    Past scandals don't come close


    November 14, 2002|BY NEIL MILBERT.














    Though there have been other scandals in U.S. horse racing and pari-mutuel betting, none approaches the current furor surrounding the Oct. 26 Breeders' Cup at Arlington Park.
    Never before has as an alleged conspiracy yielded a payoff even remotely comparable to the $3,067,821 in winnings that accused conspirator Derrick Davis of Baltimore tried to collect after making a touch-tone telephone wager with an off-track betting parlor in upstate New York.





    "In my 56 years in racing, there is no comparison between this case and any other in scope and magnitude," said Stan Bergstein, executive vice president of Harness Tracks of America, a trade association of 36 tracks in the U.S. and Canada.
    The other defendants charged this week in connection with the scandal are Christopher Harn of Newark, Del., and Glen DaSilva of New York. The two were Davis' fraternity brothers at Drexel University in Philadelphia in the 1990s.
    According to law-enforcment authorities, Harn used his position as a computer programmer for Autotote Systems Inc. to alter Davis' bets on all six races of the Breeders' Cup, as well as earlier bets made by DaSilva on a Pick Four at Balmoral Park on Oct. 3 and a Pick Six wager at Belmont Park in New York two days later.
    All three men maintain their innocence.
    Bergstein and other racing officials maintain that this case is different from previous racing scandals in that no people involved in the industry appear to have been involved.
    "It appears it's just three guys," he said.
    "There's nothing to indicate in any way, shape or form that there was a fixed race involved in this. [Past scandals] are completely different in scope and intent."
    There were two particularly infamous betting scandals in Illinois during the 1970s, and both involved people intimately involved in racing.
    In the fall of 1978, investigators uncovered a horse-substitution ring involving seven tracks in six states, including Hawthorne Race Course. Superior horses were entered in races under the names of lesser-quality animals, allowing them to win races against outclassed opponents. Counterfeit foal certificates were used to disguise the ringers' identities.
    On Nov. 19, 1978--the day after a ringer named Roman Decade won Hawthorne's second race running under the name Charollius--the track was destroyed by fire.
    Arson was suspected, and investigators believed the fire was set to destroy the fraudulent foal certificates in the racing secretary's office. But the certificates were saved.
    One of the two men accused in Illinois was acquitted of the charges, while the other was found guilty and sentenced to a year and a day in prison.
    The other scandal occurred in 1973 and is documented in an Illinois Legislative Investigative Commission report of March 1974. According to the report, a well-known owner and trainer had conspired with known organized-crime figures to fix trifecta bets at Arlington and Hawthorne.



    The suspected scheme involved jockeys holding back their horses to allow designated horses to finish first, second and third.
    Two such races were discussed in detail in the report: a trifecta race at Arlington in which 32 bettors collected 49 tickets worth a total of $83,526.40, and a later trifecta at Hawthorne that paid nine winning tickets for a total of $104,384.70.
    Investigators determined that in several cases, owner/trainer Bill Resseguet had asked other individuals to cash his winning tickets, offering them a cut.
    No charges were filed in Illinois. But Resseguet later was suspended indefinitely by the Louisiana State Racing Commission after being arrested and charged with attempting to bribe the state chemist after tests on two of his horses revealed they had an illegal drug in their systems.
    Resseguet was pardoned by Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards in 1987 and relicensed. He attempted to return to Illinois but a ruling by the stewards at Hawthorne on June 2, 1989, revoked his temporary license application and he was declared ineligible for licensing.
    Those two scandals may have been more damaging to racing's integrity, since the accused were intimately involved in the actual racing. Most of the accused collected their winnings and continued to earn their living on the racetrack.
    By contrast, Davis has not been allowed to collect his payoff. If he is found guilty, the money will be redistributed to enhance the payoffs of those bettors who received consolation prizes for picking five of the Breeders' Cup Pick Six winners.
    But simply because of the amount involved, the Breeders' Cup scandal has received far more coverage.
    "I don't think there has ever been anything in racing that has commanded the coverage this has,"said Bergstein, who in addition to being an internationally renowned expert on harness racing is a close observer of thoroughbred racing and writes a weekly column for Daily Racing Form.
    "The press coverage . . . has been sustained since the event and presumably will be sustained because of the charges being brought."

  5. #40

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    Here is a tribune article that writes about both stories talked about in this thread.

    Past scandals don't come close


    November 14, 2002|BY NEIL MILBERT.














    Though there have been other scandals in U.S. horse racing and pari-mutuel betting, none approaches the current furor surrounding the Oct. 26 Breeders' Cup at Arlington Park.
    Never before has as an alleged conspiracy yielded a payoff even remotely comparable to the $3,067,821 in winnings that accused conspirator Derrick Davis of Baltimore tried to collect after making a touch-tone telephone wager with an off-track betting parlor in upstate New York.





    "In my 56 years in racing, there is no comparison between this case and any other in scope and magnitude," said Stan Bergstein, executive vice president of Harness Tracks of America, a trade association of 36 tracks in the U.S. and Canada.
    The other defendants charged this week in connection with the scandal are Christopher Harn of Newark, Del., and Glen DaSilva of New York. The two were Davis' fraternity brothers at Drexel University in Philadelphia in the 1990s.
    According to law-enforcment authorities, Harn used his position as a computer programmer for Autotote Systems Inc. to alter Davis' bets on all six races of the Breeders' Cup, as well as earlier bets made by DaSilva on a Pick Four at Balmoral Park on Oct. 3 and a Pick Six wager at Belmont Park in New York two days later.
    All three men maintain their innocence.
    Bergstein and other racing officials maintain that this case is different from previous racing scandals in that no people involved in the industry appear to have been involved.
    "It appears it's just three guys," he said.
    "There's nothing to indicate in any way, shape or form that there was a fixed race involved in this. [Past scandals] are completely different in scope and intent."
    There were two particularly infamous betting scandals in Illinois during the 1970s, and both involved people intimately involved in racing.
    In the fall of 1978, investigators uncovered a horse-substitution ring involving seven tracks in six states, including Hawthorne Race Course. Superior horses were entered in races under the names of lesser-quality animals, allowing them to win races against outclassed opponents. Counterfeit foal certificates were used to disguise the ringers' identities.
    On Nov. 19, 1978--the day after a ringer named Roman Decade won Hawthorne's second race running under the name Charollius--the track was destroyed by fire.
    Arson was suspected, and investigators believed the fire was set to destroy the fraudulent foal certificates in the racing secretary's office. But the certificates were saved.
    One of the two men accused in Illinois was acquitted of the charges, while the other was found guilty and sentenced to a year and a day in prison.
    The other scandal occurred in 1973 and is documented in an Illinois Legislative Investigative Commission report of March 1974. According to the report, a well-known owner and trainer had conspired with known organized-crime figures to fix trifecta bets at Arlington and Hawthorne.



    The suspected scheme involved jockeys holding back their horses to allow designated horses to finish first, second and third.
    Two such races were discussed in detail in the report: a trifecta race at Arlington in which 32 bettors collected 49 tickets worth a total of $83,526.40, and a later trifecta at Hawthorne that paid nine winning tickets for a total of $104,384.70.
    Investigators determined that in several cases, owner/trainer Bill Resseguet had asked other individuals to cash his winning tickets, offering them a cut.
    No charges were filed in Illinois. But Resseguet later was suspended indefinitely by the Louisiana State Racing Commission after being arrested and charged with attempting to bribe the state chemist after tests on two of his horses revealed they had an illegal drug in their systems.
    Resseguet was pardoned by Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards in 1987 and relicensed. He attempted to return to Illinois but a ruling by the stewards at Hawthorne on June 2, 1989, revoked his temporary license application and he was declared ineligible for licensing.
    Those two scandals may have been more damaging to racing's integrity, since the accused were intimately involved in the actual racing. Most of the accused collected their winnings and continued to earn their living on the racetrack.
    By contrast, Davis has not been allowed to collect his payoff. If he is found guilty, the money will be redistributed to enhance the payoffs of those bettors who received consolation prizes for picking five of the Breeders' Cup Pick Six winners.
    But simply because of the amount involved, the Breeders' Cup scandal has received far more coverage.
    "I don't think there has ever been anything in racing that has commanded the coverage this has,"said Bergstein, who in addition to being an internationally renowned expert on harness racing is a close observer of thoroughbred racing and writes a weekly column for Daily Racing Form.
    "The press coverage . . . has been sustained since the event and presumably will be sustained because of the charges being brought."
    The Resseguet incident was well before I followed racing. I'm surprised I don't recall hearing about him when he applied again, because I was following Chicago racing very closely in 1989.

    Is it any surprise that some of the biggest incidents involved Chicago racing?

    I would say the race in the fog in Louisiana has to rival some of the Chicago incidents. In that instance, its a 2 turn race and a horse breaks well behind the field. Instead of urging the horse into contention, the jock manuevers the horse to run straight back to the far turn, positioning himself in the fog until he hears the other horses coming, then would urge the horse to run the final 3/8th, and he went on to win Rosey Ruiz style (yes they did get caught).

  6. #41

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    The Kosher Boys used to fix races at Yonkers, involving Herve Filion who is the "Baby Ruth" of harness racing. These fixes pretty much killed harness racing in NYC, though it probably was dying anyway. I guess there is just not enough money in the game to support owners, trainers, and drivers. Filion, on the other hand, likely had some sort of gambling addiction. Herve and the Kosher boys plus Phil and Billy Walters are deadly combinations.

  7. #42

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Eagleston View Post
    Kosher boys plus Phil and Billy Walters are deadly combinations.
    Kosher best w Bases
    Billy alone is a loser
    Lick my ice cream and kiss my pinky ring

  8. #43

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Eagleston View Post
    The Kosher Boys used to fix races at Yonkers, involving Herve Filion who is the "Baby Ruth" of harness racing. These fixes pretty much killed harness racing in NYC, though it probably was dying anyway. I guess there is just not enough money in the game to support owners, trainers, and drivers. Filion, on the other hand, likely had some sort of gambling addiction. Herve and the Kosher boys plus Phil and Billy Walters are deadly combinations.
    Herve's brother Henri made Herve look like the most honest driver ever.

  9. #44

    Default Re: Dwyer and late batch betting

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuesser View Post
    Herve's brother Henri made Herve look like the most honest driver ever.
    Ben Webster worse
    Lick my ice cream and kiss my pinky ring

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •